Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    please don't mention rare weapon drops

/twitch

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mola_Ram 17 Oct 2013 12:58:06 7,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Last time I was in the archives I just killed the guys until they dropped it. It took a little while, but not hours and hours or anything.
  • Dr_Mech 17 Oct 2013 12:59:20 1,043 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Can't wait for the bed of chaos fight :)
    You told me it got easier!
    Meanie...
    It does get easier, Four kings you need to do the following:
    Equip Havel's armour set, the entire set, yes you will be slow BUT Havel's offers the highest amount of poise in the game along with good (but not the best, that would be the Giant's set at +5) physical resistances and really good magical resistances.

Get the Grass crest shield and two hand your weapon, if you have access to power within, use it. Swing away and heal when you need to, the ridiculous poise means that the attacks can't stop you using your estus apart from their big AoE attack.

To use MMO terms, the Four kings is a DPS race, you have to burn down each king as quickly as possible.

Mola_Ram wrote:
    Last time I was in the archives I just killed the guys until they dropped it. It took a little while, but not hours and hours or anything.
    By contrast I suffered the Quadfather curse with mine spent about four hours farming to get it once with 10 humanity AND the gold serpent ring.

Since then it has always been the way that if I have a character that can't use it, it'll drop off the first Channeler but if the character actually can use it, I'll have to farm for at least an hour to get one.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 13:01:34 17-10-2013
  • Architect_z 17 Oct 2013 13:52:41 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I actually don't believe that having 10 humanity and the gold serpent ring and the mimic chest head, actually work.

I know that sounds ridiculous and that it shows in your stats. But whenever I put on the serpent ring and have 10 humanity, I get more normal drops from people (i.e. undead waistcloths), but for rare items I think it doesnt help as much.

If i'm farming for a rare drop, I just have 4 humanity, no serpent ring. I'll always get the rare drop in less than 10 runs. B.S.S, even baldur shield and gauntlets
  • Tuffty 17 Oct 2013 14:01:09 1,656 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Listening to the Dark Souls soundtrack and I just got sudden nostalgia when I heard The Ancient Dragon. Love Ash Lake, I didn't even realise the background music only starts when the players looks up at the trees. As an actual location it only gives you a new weapon/spell/covenant/dragon scales, but it's probably my favourite location in the game for the look, scale, the music and what that location means in context to the world.
  • Dr_Mech 17 Oct 2013 14:01:35 1,043 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah the Mimic head cancels out the Ring yes, I only mentioned 10 humanity and the ring, I'd be silly to wear all three. However for soul farming the mimic head and the silver serpent ring do stack.

Tuffty wrote:
    Listening to the Dark Souls soundtrack and I just got sudden nostalgia when I heard The Ancient Dragon. Love Ash Lake, I didn't even realise the background music only starts when the players looks up at the trees. As an actual location it only gives you a new weapon/spell/covenant/dragon scales, but it's probably my favourite location in the game for the look, scale, the music and what that location means in context to the world.
    I always feel that Ash lake was an area they really wanted to do more with but ran out of time to actually give it a proper purpose. Hence why it is probably the least complete out of all the secret areas (Painted World and Return to Asylum both have an actual boss involved with them whereas Ash Lake just gets a pallet swap of a miniboss enemy).

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:03:29 17-10-2013
  • Mola_Ram 17 Oct 2013 14:28:28 7,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I have found my weapon of choice, going well with my "fat bastard" Smough armor. The Great Club.

There's something almost poetic about the description:

"Giant tree branch serves as a wooden club.
    Smashes enemies from upside the head."

It's like a haiku.
  • TOOTR 17 Oct 2013 14:49:38 9,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Drink a pint of cement Armoured_Bear and harden the fuck up!

/Confesses that he did the 4 kings the first time with Buz helping him :D

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Buztafen 17 Oct 2013 15:09:13 16,351 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That was battle to remember...a story to be told around a table in a pub with wenches and mead.

I remember it going much better than our attempt at the Bed of Shitness... i mean Chaos...

Edited by Buztafen at 15:10:09 17-10-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Oct 2013 15:09:25 11,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Can't wait for the bed of chaos fight :)
    You told me it got easier!
    Meanie...
    It does get easier, Four kings you need to do the following:
    Equip Havel's armour set, the entire set, yes you will be slow BUT Havel's offers the highest amount of poise in the game along with good (but not the best, that would be the Giant's set at +5) physical resistances and really good magical resistances.

Get the Grass crest shield and two hand your weapon, if you have access to power within, use it. Swing away and heal when you need to, the ridiculous poise means that the attacks can't stop you using your estus apart from their big AoE attack.

To use MMO terms, the Four kings is a DPS race, you have to burn down each king as quickly as possible.

Mola_Ram wrote:
    By contrast I suffered the Quadfather curse with mine spent about four hours farming to get it once with 10 humanity AND the gold serpent ring.

Since then it has always been the way that if I have a character that can't use it, it'll drop off the first Channeler but if the character actually can use it, I'll have to farm for at least an hour to get one.
    Thanks, I'll try that tonight as I have all the gear you mentioned.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Architect_z 17 Oct 2013 16:04:26 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bed of Chaos is easily the lamest boss in any game ever.
  • Dr_Mech 17 Oct 2013 16:43:02 1,043 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    even the devs of dark souls admitted it was incredibly bad design.
  • TOOTR 17 Oct 2013 16:45:51 9,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    That was battle to remember...a story to be told around a table in a pub with wenches and mead.

I remember it going much better than our attempt at the Bed of Shitness... i mean Chaos...
    I remember multiple attempts. Sometimes being foiled due to an invader and not being able to time our appearances very well until finally he had to face both of us and we ended him....

Only for me to forget to re equip the abyss thing and confidently jumping off without it to a rather rude shock.

Ahhh good times :)

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• Fixxxer 17 Oct 2013 16:50:21 1,304 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Equipping the Abyss Ring for the Bed of Crap?
  • Buztafen 17 Oct 2013 16:54:39 16,351 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TOOTR We got royally bitch slapped by one magic weilding dude on the rickety bridges over to New Londo...all it needed was the benny hill music to complete the experience.
  • Architect_z 17 Oct 2013 17:42:52 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think they should make a level based on a bridge that you have to run across while parts of the floor are falling down. I liked that part of the bed of chaos, but the whomping willow was a massive jerk as it kept just slapping me with sticks while I was trying to move.
  • TOOTR 17 Oct 2013 17:47:10 9,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fixxxer wrote:
    Equipping the Abyss Ring for the Bed of Crap?
    No, no. For the Four Cunnies.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• TOOTR 17 Oct 2013 17:49:17 9,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    @TOOTR We got royally bitch slapped by one magic weilding dude on the rickety bridges over to New Londo...all it needed was the benny hill music to complete the experience.
    :D That we did. It was a complete comedy of errors getting to those creepy mothers that day. Never mind making sure all our equipment, strategy etc were in the right place.

We need to lock in a time for me to do the DLC - thinking christmas hols at this point chief.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• DodgyPast 17 Oct 2013 18:55:51 8,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that's the depths explored quite thoroughly. Though I've no idea how I'd get back to the places I've visited.

Killed the giant zombie rat, fell down a hole, then wandered around completely randomly. Found a merchant with some nice looking but expensive stuff, 2 fog gates, an evil eye ring that seems quite cool... A great axe, heavy crossbow and a variety of souls. Killed a bunch of frogs and rats.

Eventually found my way to a bonfire using the sewer key and hunkered down.

Think the only thing left worth killing is the sorceror.

Wandering blindly around worrying you're about die at any moment, probably with no idea how to even start trying to find your corpse.

I worry that I choose this as entertainment ;-)

Drake Sword has gone the way of the of the dodo. Now the BSS seems only a little bit weaker now and so much more flexible. Level 4 fire orbs are a nice backup weapon to stick in that slot.

I assume at level 40 I'm way overpowered though.

Edited by DodgyPast at 19:07:50 17-10-2013
  • TOOTR 17 Oct 2013 19:04:01 9,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• Julpero 17 Oct 2013 20:07:26 38 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    please don't mention rare weapon drops

/twitch
    Weren't you the guy who had trouble finding Balder Side Swords? I just fed four of them to Frampt to get 200 souls. :cool:
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Oct 2013 22:35:58 11,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    4 Kings are Deid!!!!

• Armoured_Bear 17 Oct 2013 22:46:44 11,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got Iaito to +10, looking for Very Large Ember now :-)

Must.stop.playing.

• Deleted user 17 October 2013 23:29:24
    Cripes, I was sure you'd stop playing eccossse!

Go on son, if you can down 4 Kings then you're nailed on to finish it no quibbles.

.....you can parry, right...?!

;)
  • Dr_Mech 18 Oct 2013 01:48:59 1,043 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Must.stop.playing.
    You just passed the Very Large Ember, its located in New Londo Ruins, since you've already cleared the place go hunt down a video of its location (you've beaten the area boss, tis fair to look up spoilers now).
  • DodgyPast 18 Oct 2013 03:49:16 8,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Googled for information about finding large titanite only to discover I'm in one of the best places to do exactly that.

Extra pleased I'd decided to add the fire orb to my arsenal.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2013 06:23:41 11,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Cripes, I was sure you'd stop playing eccossse!

Go on son, if you can down 4 Kings then you're nailed on to finish it no quibbles.

.....you can parry, right...?!

;)
    I don't parry that much tbh, I better get practising I take it?

Sorry for all the moaning and thanks for all the help everyone!

• Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2013 06:24:30 11,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Must.stop.playing.
    You just passed the Very Large Ember, its located in New Londo Ruins, since you've already cleared the place go hunt down a video of its location (you've beaten the area boss, tis fair to look up spoilers now).
    I will do, cheers.
    I have to go out tonight but maybe I can scrape a cheeky wee half hour in this afternoon when working form home :-)

• Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2013 06:26:08 11,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech

Your tips were great, I didn't have Havel's Set so I went and got it and then used it with the Crystal Straight Sword to smash the shit out of them!
    \o/

• Mola_Ram 18 Oct 2013 06:29:36 7,683 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You only have a couple more areas to go. To the demon ruins with you!
  • Page

of 1211 First / Last