Dark Souls Page 881

• Page

of 1217 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 October 2013 13:01:43
    Had a shot of this for the first time in a month or so. Drunk. Forgot the controls and tried to invade with my darkwraith. Safe to say I gave a few folk in new Londo ruins a fair chuckle. It must have felt like being invaded by Frank Spencer.
  • RedSparrows 6 Oct 2013 17:00:54 23,852 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Am in AL now. World makes a whole lot more sense now: physically, I mean. Quite a view!
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 21:19:09 11,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Anor Londo bosses are a step too far, I've had enough.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• the_dudefather 6 Oct 2013 21:31:23 9,387 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Helping people try and beat Iron Golem to get some humanity

Even with This Iron Tarkus guy helping, We're not doing a great job :/

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• quadfather 6 Oct 2013 22:26:10 13,144 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear - you've got this far. You cant quit now. They're not that bad. it just takes a bit of time to get use to them

tips

1) separate them. Get ornstein away from silly fat wanker and concentrate on him alone
    2) Summon! Get some help and get a distraction
    3) Patience! and use the pillars when you're down to fat twat - he cant negotiate them

once you have done this fight, you'll a) get a massive sense of achievement, b) have a VERY useful ability, and c) you'll be set for the rest of the game

I don't have you down as a quitter, so don't disappoint!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Armoured_Bear 6 Oct 2013 22:39:16 11,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear - you've got this far. You cant quit now. They're not that bad. it just takes a bit of time to get use to them

tips

1) separate them. Get ornstein away from silly fat wanker and concentrate on him alone
    2) Summon! Get some help and get a distraction
    3) Patience! and use the pillars when you're down to fat twat - he cant negotiate them

once you have done this fight, you'll a) get a massive sense of achievement, b) have a VERY useful ability, and c) you'll be set for the rest of the game

I don't have you down as a quitter, so don't disappoint!
    I summoned, I used all my Humanity trying with the Sun Knight dude, there's no chance I can do it alone :-(

• Fixxxer 6 Oct 2013 22:43:09 1,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fixxxer wrote:
    And, conversely, all this talk of the game being more accessible makes me more excited for it \o/

Let's maybe have some NPCs that survive the entire game!
    Let's get rid of that pointless run to the boss from the bonfire which serves no purpose other than to annoy! More incentive to experiment and improve for bosses (much like Trials HD, straight back into the action) and not run to a Wiki because you can't be bothered to commute to the boss again
    Let's get rid of barrier-less arenas for large bosses unless they sort out the camera facing the sky when they're nearby!
    Let's make the lock-on work over long distances), you cheating centipede cunt!
    Let's make it stay locked on!
    Let's explain concepts like poise and stability!
    Let's not have two person bosses that virtually necessitate summoning!
    Let's allow players to reassign skill points rather than spending hours on wikis working out what's best or even more hours creating a new character!
    Let's show the full weapon upgrade path so I know if a weapon is going to end up scaling S, A or stay at C and not waste my once-a-game items!
    Let's explain what covenants actually do!
    Let's get rid of the concept of illusory walls or at least mark them out as different in some way!
    Let's not have any invisible paths!

This game I would love.
    I'd like to say that after making this post in the Dark Souls 2 thread about a year ago I have since completed the game with a new character and then gone on to complete ng+, all solo. Hooray for me! And a massive hooray for the Great Scythe! So contrary to my O&S gripe above they are now probably my favourite boss in the game. That said I'm surprised to see me agreeing with the majority of the rest of my gripes.

I'm torn on the Crystal Caves paths because, whilst I do think they're shit and I hate them, they are the ultimate extension of the comments-to-help system which I think is pretty cool. I like the camaraderie of previous explorers guiding you through.

And my utter hatred for the Centipede Demon diminished when I saw a video that pointed out a much larger area over to the right where he can be fought. I did find generally that I was much more aware of the limitations of the lock on and was much less bothered by it as a result.

My favourite bosses are Manus, O&S, possibly The Four Kings, and The Santuary Guardian. I think I've changed my mind on my 'commute' criticism, not because it's not boring and pointless, because it pretty much is, but because none of the runs in the game (perhaps barring Gwyn) when done in the most efficient way actually take that long.

Edited by Fixxxer at 22:44:02 06-10-2013
  • Deleted user 7 October 2013 07:25:20
    @Fixxxer

Good posts :)

O&S were my personal favourites in the early days - whilst Sunbro'ing in AL I beat them 100's upon 100's of times over several characters. These days, however, I really struggle with them solo despite my supposed "knowledge" of the fight (but I put that down to my builds these days which rarely involve Pyro and favour pokey Dex weapons).

Personally love the whole Archives/Crystal Caves area (for Gravelording purposes!) but the whole invisible pathway bullshit can go do one in DS2, as you say.

I always seem to die at least once per run to Centipede, usually to lava rather than the boss itself though :)

Favourite boss these days - definitely Gwyn. Once I learned how to parry/riposte with a certain degree of consistency he went from becoming an annoying dickbag to a flashy way to make mincemeat of him naked with no shield just for kicks.

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 07:26:08 07-10-2013
  • Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 07:44:41 7,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, there is nothing more badass than parrying a sword with your bare hands.
  • Dr_Mech 7 Oct 2013 14:49:22 1,047 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bah you bunch of pansies.

I've done O&S Solo, first time because my Xbox wasn't connected to the internet and I ran out of humanity and the second time, because I wanted to man-mode them at Soul Level 1, at that level you simply can't summon for help apart from Solaire and as much as I love the sunbro, I wanted to up my game. On both runs I also did the supposed 'hardmode' version (Giant Ornstein) but I consider Giant Orns easier than Giant Smough because apart from his lightning ass slam and his ranged attacks, all his attacks are purely physical (the first time through was with a fat rolling strength weapon using heavy armoured mofo using the Greatshield of Artorias).

Trust me Mr Bear, the fight can be done, what is required is patience. The first time through with that fight solo, it took me 30 minutes to do, you strike only when you can be sure you can get a hit in without getting blindsided by one of them. Ornstein is easier to take out first because he is more mobile, thus tends to close the distance a lot quicker than Smough.

If you don't have the DLC O&S are THE hardest fight in the game, the only true bosses that are harder are in the DLC (Though for my money the hardest fight in the game isn't strictly a boss fight but the Dual Sanctuary Guardians, imagine O&S only both can fly, is ridiculously fast and has ranged attacks, oh and they love to blindside you...still never beaten those two bastards).

I would suggest leaving out Solaire for the fight, summon real players, you can buy a single humanity from the shopkeeper at the shortcut between Firelink Shrine and The Depths or since the bosses are still standing, simply grind them OR place you summon sign down near the bonfire and get summoned for O&S to help other players.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:53:20 07-10-2013
  • Buztafen 7 Oct 2013 15:06:18 16,455 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't even realise you could fight 2 at a time?...that's my monday night sorted then. :)

Edited by Buztafen at 15:06:57 07-10-2013
  • the_dudefather 7 Oct 2013 15:21:37 9,387 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should I explore the catacombs before going into Anor Londo? Just beat the Iron Golem

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• quadfather 7 Oct 2013 15:23:58 13,144 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @the_dudefather - good question. What level are you? And do you have a divine weapon?

It's probably best to do Anor, because without doing something that way, you can't finish the area after the catacombs, so you'll only have to come back again

• the_dudefather 7 Oct 2013 15:29:11 9,387 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    level 55ish, no divine weapon yet, guess I'll explore more of Anor Londo for now

Getting back into the swing of things with this after being away for so long, and for a game I didn't fully understand at the time, that's going to take some time :D

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 15:29:38 7,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I... I'm sorry LB, I had to briefly swap out the zweihander. It was just too slow to deal with the dogs and the capra demon in that enclosed space. It will never happen again I swear.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 15:30:36 11,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Bah you bunch of pansies.

I've done O&S Solo, first time because my Xbox wasn't connected to the internet and I ran out of humanity and the second time, because I wanted to man-mode them at Soul Level 1, at that level you simply can't summon for help apart from Solaire and as much as I love the sunbro, I wanted to up my game. On both runs I also did the supposed 'hardmode' version (Giant Ornstein) but I consider Giant Orns easier than Giant Smough because apart from his lightning ass slam and his ranged attacks, all his attacks are purely physical (the first time through was with a fat rolling strength weapon using heavy armoured mofo using the Greatshield of Artorias).

Trust me Mr Bear, the fight can be done, what is required is patience. The first time through with that fight solo, it took me 30 minutes to do, you strike only when you can be sure you can get a hit in without getting blindsided by one of them. Ornstein is easier to take out first because he is more mobile, thus tends to close the distance a lot quicker than Smough.

If you don't have the DLC O&S are THE hardest fight in the game, the only true bosses that are harder are in the DLC (Though for my money the hardest fight in the game isn't strictly a boss fight but the Dual Sanctuary Guardians, imagine O&S only both can fly, is ridiculously fast and has ranged attacks, oh and they love to blindside you...still never beaten those two bastards).

I would suggest leaving out Solaire for the fight, summon real players, you can buy a single humanity from the shopkeeper at the shortcut between Firelink Shrine and The Depths or since the bosses are still standing, simply grind them OR place you summon sign down near the bonfire and get summoned for O&S to help other players.
    I can almost kill him, I get the fat cunt down to a few juts left and he does his double attack thing which wipes out my health.
    I don't have the personality for this game, it makes me far too angry.

• quadfather 7 Oct 2013 15:33:14 13,144 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it makes a lot of people angry. Me certainly half the time, and I've beaten those silly wankers a few times.

However, this is a turning point in the game, and is really worth persevering with.

• onestepfromlost 7 Oct 2013 15:38:33 2,107 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah i couldn't get past them after trying for days. Ended up abandoning the game for months went back and beat them. Well worth it but took a lot of perseverance. My gf wanted me to stop playing cause I was getting so angry
  • Dr_Mech 7 Oct 2013 15:48:52 1,047 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

I'd suggest perhaps switching it up and going for Smough dead first then.

Like I said, Giant Orns only has four attacks that are lightning based, two ranged (roll to avoid or use the pillars to block them), his lightning ass slam (the same move Smough has) and his 'wipe off half you health' lightning stab (which has a massive telegraph time on it). In contrast Super Smough is half physical and half lightning meaning you're always going to be taking damage since there is no 100% lightning blocking shield in the game and the one you're using probably only blocks 50%.

For Super Orns try and stick inbetween his legs, when he telegraphs his possible OHKO lightning stab (he kind of crouches down and the end of his spear begins crackling), roll forward.

Super Ornz help:
  • Fixxxer 7 Oct 2013 16:00:25 1,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never! Do Ornstein first! He's easier to do first because he's more mobile and so is easier to isolate (as mentioned above).

When it's just you and Smough the key is to stay in the middle facing one of the long ends of the room. If he starts to force you too close to a wall run around him so you're now facing the other way. If you're light enough this will then completely negate his only two nasty attacks. Now both the jump-up-in-the-air-and-fizzle-lightning attack and the even nastier run-at-you-sliding-the-hammer-on-the-floor-attack require only two rolls backwards to be safe. Once you've mastered surviving those it's pretty easy to work out which of his other attacks leave him vulnerable enough to get a shot in after. I think every other of his attacks can be dodged with a roll to the left or right which leaves you in prime smack him one territory.
  • Fixxxer 7 Oct 2013 16:02:14 1,305 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or worst case scenario I reckon I could get a new character to Anor Londo in an evening so I'd be happy to lay a summons down. I might do that tonight anyway because I really do enjoy fighting those mofos.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 16:02:39 11,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The game is a massive, cheating cunt.
    Every time I get his health right down he does a double smash thing you can't avoid to kill you.
    How my controller is intact I've no idea.

• Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 16:07:24 11,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the tips.
    I want to break things.

• RedSparrows 7 Oct 2013 16:08:33 23,852 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My problem is self-inflicted - so far I've been cagey, using a pokey halberd (Raw+4 atm). It's good for dealing with slow things, but quick/big things with legs are annoying, because I have to poke... and miss. If I miss, it's an attack wasted. Gets annoying.

Need to jazz up a sword, I think.
  • quadfather 7 Oct 2013 16:08:45 13,144 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If he's doing that double smash thing every time, then you know he's going to do it right? So prep for that and see if you can anticipate it and not be there when he does it.

Dead easy :)

• Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 16:09:25 11,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    If he's doing that double smash thing every time, then you know he's going to do it right? So prep for that and see if you can anticipate it and not be there when he does it.

Dead easy :)
    Thanks.

• quadfather 7 Oct 2013 16:13:23 13,144 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Appreciate that isn't the best advice ever :)

• onestepfromlost 7 Oct 2013 16:26:53 2,107 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    haha basically, know what he is going to do and beat him :p
  • quadfather 7 Oct 2013 16:31:55 13,144 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, it'd work wouldn't it :)

• Armoured_Bear 7 Oct 2013 17:09:04 11,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I finally did it, can't say I feel good to be honest.
    I play games for fun and so much of this isn't remotely fun, it makes me feel like shit :-(

• Page

of 1217 First / Last