quadfather wrote:
    There's a shortcut and an NPC in sens to unlock too
    And a couple of very useful rings.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 09:05:00 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Halfway is a reasonable assumption but it does ramp up from here on in. Though you'll acquire some interesting stuff and unlock useful abilities so don't worry about it.

When you say fully upgraded pyromancy, do you mean your glove is on +15? Because that's not fully upgraded.

I believe (but someone will have to clarify this) that dex only increases the speed or magic and miracle casting, not pyro, but again, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

What weapon(s) are you currently using and what are your stats looking like?

Also, what have you been doing with the firekeepers souls?
    No, I "ascended" the glove after +15 and then upgraded that to +5, isn't that full?

I'm using the Divinie Gargoyle's Halberd +5

I think I have..
    Vitality 21
    Attunement 19
    Endurance 27
    Strength 16
    Dexterity 32
    Resistance 12
    Intelligence 10
    Faith 8

I'm using the heater Shield+5 although I switched to Eaglie Shield in Sen's, I'll need to check my armour later, trying to keep it light.

I think I only got one Firekeeper Souls and upgraded my Estus Flask with it in firelink shrine before the poor mite was murdered.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 09:08:13 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yes, but it's one of the easiest parts of the game and the one where skills learned in other games (Tomb Raider etc) are most translatable. If you're a half competent gamer it should offer little challenge, and is certainly easier than any combat-oriented section.

People don't like Blighttown because it's dark, maze-like and full of things that kill you by degrees or slow you down. Sen's Fortress could be a training level on Uncharted.

Speaking of which, did you ever go back to explore Blighttown and find what we were talking about? There's something similarly secret around Firelink shrine if you go climbing on the ruins.
    I don't pretend that I'm a competent gamer but some of the guillotine bits were pretty hairy for me, i found a lot of combat easier tbh.

"Sen's Fortress could be a training level on Uncharted." - Sorry but this is complete nonsense.

No, I didn't go back to Blightown, I intend to, I need to get the rusty ring as well.

• Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2013 09:09:55 6,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That last bit on Sens with the narrow platform took a fair few goes for me. And dying to the giant afterwards was extra irritating, particularly since I didn't know about the bonfire at first.
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2013 09:16:49 10,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yes, but it's one of the easiest parts of the game and the one where skills learned in other games (Tomb Raider etc) are most translatable. If you're a half competent gamer it should offer little challenge, and is certainly easier than any combat-oriented section.

People don't like Blighttown because it's dark, maze-like and full of things that kill you by degrees or slow you down. Sen's Fortress could be a training level on Uncharted.

Speaking of which, did you ever go back to explore Blighttown and find what we were talking about? There's something similarly secret around Firelink shrine if you go climbing on the ruins.
    Fair point. But it does differ from gamer to gamer. Take Dukes Archive. Not that hard really. Yet I have a mental block and often get my arse kicked. And it's not just this game. The river level on super ghouls and ghosts absolutely does my head in, yet the later, apparently harder levels I find easy.

Edit - and anything with high ledges where you can fall often fills me with extra dread.

But I digress

And yes, that secret place in blighttown Armoured_Bear - you need to find that.

Edited by quadfather at 09:17:33 02-10-2013

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2013 09:19:59 6,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love that there are places in the game that are completely optional and missable.

You don't really want to miss out on Ash Lake, though. Most spectacular place in the game for me.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Oct 2013 09:22:13 41,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I agree difficulty spikes are in part a subjective thing, but I'm the same with Duke's Archives, the tiers of galleries full of hard hitting bastards with bows / magic makes for a fraught runthrough even if you know the combination of levers to press. Plus it throws you the great sucker punch at the start with the 'Oh thank God, I know these guys, they're pussies, a bit blue maybe but at least I won't have any troubOHMYGODOUCHOUCHOUCH...'

/dead

• quadfather 2 Oct 2013 09:22:42 10,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Halfway is a reasonable assumption but it does ramp up from here on in. Though you'll acquire some interesting stuff and unlock useful abilities so don't worry about it.

When you say fully upgraded pyromancy, do you mean your glove is on +15? Because that's not fully upgraded.

I believe (but someone will have to clarify this) that dex only increases the speed or magic and miracle casting, not pyro, but again, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

What weapon(s) are you currently using and what are your stats looking like?

Also, what have you been doing with the firekeepers souls?
    No, I "ascended" the glove after +15 and then upgraded that to +5, isn't that full?

I'm using the Divinie Gargoyle's Halberd +5

I think I have..
    Vitality 21
    Attunement 19
    Endurance 27
    Strength 16
    Dexterity 32
    Resistance 12
    Intelligence 10
    Faith 8

I'm using the heater Shield+5 although I switched to Eaglie Shield in Sen's, I'll need to check my armour later, trying to keep it light.

I think I only got one Firekeeper Souls and upgraded my Estus Flask with it in firelink shrine before the poor mite was murdered.
    Fair do's - yes, that's fully upgraded now.

Hm, not sure on the divine. That's more suited to undead (not normal undead, but skeletal undead). I'm wondering whether a different path would benefit you more.

Heater shield +5 is a good all rounder. Might want to get something a bit heftier out later, if you're a 'blocking' type of player as opposed to a rolling type of player

You probably want to keep an eye out for those firekeeper souls. There's one at the parish (assume that's the one you used to upgrade your estus), but there's also one at blighttown, where you've obviously already been. Can take it to +7

If you're ever thinking of using magic for spells, you need to go back to sens and unlock the npc. Also, while you're there, unlock the shortcut, saves a lot of pain

• quadfather 2 Oct 2013 09:25:28 10,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yeah I agree difficulty spikes are in part a subjective thing, but I'm the same with Duke's Archives, the tiers of galleries full of hard hitting bastards with bows / magic makes for a fraught runthrough even if you know the combination of levers to press. Plus it throws you the great sucker punch at the start with the 'Oh thank God, I know these guys, they're pussies, a bit blue maybe but at least I won't have any troubOHMYGODOUCHOUCHOUCH...'

/dead
    Precisely. At least I'm not the only one that suffers from those fuckers

• quadfather 2 Oct 2013 09:26:55 10,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And to put things in perspective, I loaded up a char last night that hadn't done sens. Fully prepared, kit and level wise.

Fell off the second ledge.

But I blame the alcohol.

• LeoliansBro 2 Oct 2013 09:29:01 41,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the boulder that always gets me in Sens.

And re. blocking type vs rolling type - I always try to be both. Thanks, Havel's ring!

• Dangerous_Dan 2 Oct 2013 09:30:55 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It increases offensive spells and pyromancy casting speed, that one I'm certain about. It does not increase miracles like Force or Wrath of God casting speed.

It might increase lightning bolt miracles, that one I'm not sure about.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 09:31:28 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

And re. blocking type vs rolling type - I always try to be both. Thanks, Havel's ring!
    Is that the ring from the big twat at the bottom of the tower between Darkroot basin and Undead Burg?
    he kicked my arse, I should go back and try him again...

• Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2013 09:31:59 6,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, Havel's ring kind of breaks the game a bit. In the sequel I would like more exclusive tanking options, rather than having that and being able to roll around like a loon at the same time.
  • Dangerous_Dan 2 Oct 2013 09:32:42 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    And to put things in perspective, I loaded up a char last night that hadn't done sens. Fully prepared, kit and level wise.

Fell off the second ledge.

But I blame the alcohol.
    Unable to walk a straight line...
  • LeoliansBro 2 Oct 2013 09:41:54 41,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Is that the ring from the big twat at the bottom of the tower between Darkroot basin and Undead Burg?
    He's dangerous and pivots really quickly, but if you know what you're doing you can squash him easily. Move in range, wait for him to start to swing, back off / roll away and get your hit in while he recovers. Don't get greedy and you should be fine.

• Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 09:45:05 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

He's dangerous and pivots really quickly, but if you know what you're doing you can squash him easily. Move in range, wait for him to start to swing, back off / roll away and get your hit in while he recovers. Don't get greedy and you should be fine.
    Ta.

• quadfather 2 Oct 2013 09:48:29 10,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's good to practice backstabbing on too

• Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 09:57:57 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You pussies fancy a challenge?

• Mola_Ram 2 Oct 2013 10:00:59 6,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Ta.
    Probably best to remove all your armor before fighting him too. You'll die in a hit even with armor on. At least with no armor it's easier to avoid the hits.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 10:02:54 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Ta.
    Probably best to remove all your armor before fighting him too. You'll die in a hit even with armor on. At least with no armor it's easier to avoid the hits.
    ok, thanks.
    Bareback it is :-)

• quadfather 2 Oct 2013 10:17:22 10,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't forget the secret place
    And the npc in sens
    And the rings in sens
    And the firekeeper souls

Keep up man!

• Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 10:18:31 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Don't forget the secret place
    And the npc in sens
    And the rings in sens
    And the firekeeper souls

Keep up man!
    I'll try!
    I'm working at home today and it's quite tricky resisting the temptation of the living room...

• quadfather 2 Oct 2013 10:23:37 10,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sod that, load it up man!

• Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 10:51:21 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Sod that, load it up man!
    Evil man!

I have the following:

Weapons

Flamberge
    Falchion
    Shotel
    Server
    Iaioto +2
    Ricard's Rapier
    great Club
    Winged Spear
    Black Knight Halberd
    Longbow+4
    Light/Heavy/Sniper Crossbow
    Sorcerer's/Tin Banishment Catalyst
    Drake Sword
    Man-Serpent Greatsword

Shields

Plank
    heater +5
    Knight
    Grass Crest
    Eagle

Armour

Wanderer
    Thief
    Sorcerer
    Tattered Cloth
    Shadow
    Black Leather
    Crimson
    Hard Leather
    Elite Knight
    Fang Boar

Rings

Steel Protection
    Flame Stoneplate
    Blue Tearstone
    Sacrifice
    Rare Sacrifice
    Evil Eye

Magic

Fireball
    Fire Orb
    Great Fireball
    Great Chaos Fireball
    Firestorm
    Poison Mist
    Power Within

• RedSparrows 2 Oct 2013 10:55:26 20,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still at Sens.

/kicks a stone
    /mumbles
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 10:57:31 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Still at Sens.

/kicks a stone
    /mumbles
    Where are you having trouble?

• docrob 2 Oct 2013 14:37:05 277 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went back to this today after a GTA interlude.

Cleared out the Lower Burg without major issues. Found the female merchant and opened the shortcut. Spent all my souls and had a crack at the Capra Demon - died more or less immediately. Had three more goes - managed on one of them to roll up the steps and kill the dogs, but the demon still got me (had him at half health).

Decided to try the Titanite Demon by the Blacksmith instead. He owned me twice (once when I tried to stay in his armpit, once when I discovered he can hit me from further away than I can throw a fireball).

Ho hum.

I'm finding Pyromancy something of a disappointment - the range is shite and the casting time is slooooowww.
  • RedSparrows 2 Oct 2013 14:51:15 20,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Still at Sens.

/kicks a stone
    /mumbles
    Just falling off stuff and things. Being cack-handed, really. If I really sat down and gave it more than a few goes, I'd crack it.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 15:06:28 8,746 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Still at Sens.

/kicks a stone
    /mumbles
    Just falling off stuff and things. Being cack-handed, really. If I really sat down and gave it more than a few goes, I'd crack it.
    Same as me then, my biggest problem was with the 3rd and 4th Guillotine levels.
    3rd - You can just run straight through if you start runnning when they're just "opening".
    4th - Kill the lightning lizard dude first then edge along the skinny ledge, do the guillotines in 2 stages.

• Page

of 1190 First / Last