Dark Souls Page 874

• Page

of 1210 First / Last

• FanBoysSuck 25 Sep 2013 12:52:05 1,525 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Julpero I put it down as useless as soon as they turned it into a 95% physical resistance , although I was on NG+ at the time of the patch. You need that extra 5% at that point IMO ;)

It makes more sense to use the cress shield these days, you get the stamina regeneration plus the ability to parry.

For the emperor!

• BeardedGamerUK 25 Sep 2013 13:44:20 1,571 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition is 4.99 on Steam at the moment :D Got money in my Steam wallet from selling those Steam cards, so I'll sell as many as I can right up until close to when the Dark Souls offer finishes and buy the game :)
  • quadfather 25 Sep 2013 13:47:33 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cress shield :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Armoured_Bear 25 Sep 2013 13:55:01 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Cress shield :)
    I prefer the Chive Shield

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• quadfather 25 Sep 2013 13:55:39 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Balder Side Salad

• Dr_Mech 25 Sep 2013 14:01:11 1,043 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Has anyone ever done a cosplay build? As in a playthrough on NG+ with one of the games characters?

I was thinking of a Paladin Leeroy build, I wouldnt mind Iron Tarkus either.

Anyone else done one?
    I'm in the middle of making a Sieglinde/Knight of Catarina cosplay, got the Zweihander just need to do the rest of Siegmeyers quest to get the pierce shield.
  • Rhaegyr 25 Sep 2013 14:09:26 2,247 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can anybody tell me if the PC version is as rife with hacking as it's made out to be?

I love the game (ran through twice on PS3) and can't really say no to a fiver on the PC; I am worried it's going to be full of hackers that really spoil the online component of the game.

What's the deal with MP too as GFWL is shutting down?

Edited by Rhaegyr at 14:09:45 25-09-2013
  • TheBlackDog 25 Sep 2013 18:20:23 408 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good question - I was going to ask if any EG'ers are doing any co-op or if there is much multiplayer in general, but I hadn't thought about the gankers.
  • quadfather 25 Sep 2013 19:17:35 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apparently there is some hacking though bizarrely I've yet to encounter any

• Dangerous_Dan 25 Sep 2013 19:34:25 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheBlackDog wrote:
    Good question - I was going to ask if any EG'ers are doing any co-op or if there is much multiplayer in general, but I hadn't thought about the gankers.
    One can avoid most invaders by staying at alow SL because the invader has to have a higher SL than the host.
    So, a low SL run won't be disturbed by many invaders, especially not in later parts of the game.

There is more multiplayer than in Demon's but summoning can be a real pain because of the missing dedicated servers. Summon signs just not showing up and things like that.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Sep 2013 23:15:37 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Ok, as you make your way down to the swamp from the first bonfire, you'll end up going down a sort of bridge type thing/walkway, with annoying posts on either side, hindering you if you try and navigate them.

At the bottom of here, just before the swamp starts, they'll be those large beetle type monster things. Probably some pesky mosquitoes too.

As soon as you get to the bottom so the swamp is directly in front of you, immediately turn left and hug the wall. You should encounter another beetly type thing. Keep going and keep your eye on the left. You should come across a tunnel opening. It's just in there.

If you keep going left and end up at some leeches, you've gone too far

It's not actually that far from the bottom of the ramp where you turn left.

Ah man, there's so much more to tell about this level, but I'll be quiet now :)
    I killed the Blightown Boss!!!!!!
    Got me some Great Fireball too!
    Should,go.to.bed.
    Stop.playing.

• TheBlackDog 25 Sep 2013 23:30:34 408 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers for the replies - think I'll give it a miss then (again). Have two copies on Xbox already and still haven't done the DLC :redface:
  • quadfather 26 Sep 2013 09:14:48 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear - congrats! Well done.

Proper addict now :)

• Armoured_Bear 26 Sep 2013 10:49:32 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear - congrats! Well done.

Proper addict now :)
    Thanks mate!
    Blighttown actually wasn't that bad, it was really tough but not significantly tougher than everywhere else as I was led to believe.
    maybe playing on PC so not having the framerate problems makes a big difference?

Tonight I'm going to farm some Green titanite Shards from the Leeches to get my Divine Gargoyle's Halberd further upgraded.
    I need to get another Pyro slot and get Firestorm too....

• quadfather 26 Sep 2013 10:54:45 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I never really had a problem with the framerate slowdown on ps3. In fact, when it slowed, it was quite handy as it gave me an extra second to plan my run past monsters :)

Prefer without it obviously, and PC version is silky smooth as you say.

Blighttown is a little bit hyped, but if you take your time it's not that bad. After hours and hours and hours of playing the game, you can run through it in about 5-10 mins once you're used to it.

Did you explore the whole place and grab all the loot?

find anything secret?

Interesting that you should mention the leeches though :)

I'm like Mystic meg, me.

• Armoured_Bear 26 Sep 2013 11:11:29 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I never really had a problem with the framerate slowdown on ps3. In fact, when it slowed, it was quite handy as it gave me an extra second to plan my run past monsters :)

Prefer without it obviously, and PC version is silky smooth as you say.

Blighttown is a little bit hyped, but if you take your time it's not that bad. After hours and hours and hours of playing the game, you can run through it in about 5-10 mins once you're used to it.

Did you explore the whole place and grab all the loot?

find anything secret?

Interesting that you should mention the leeches though :)

I'm like Mystic meg, me.
    I got a New Lando (or something like that) key, a Crimson armour set, Wanderer Armour, Great Club, Plank Shield, Dragon Scale, Remedy Sorcery, Iaito, Falchion, Shadow Armour, Large Titanite Shard.
    I think that's most of it.
    I got 6 Green titanite Shards, need more.

I did get murdered by those dart blowing fuckers, I need to get back up there and kick their arse and see if there's anything past them.

BTW Thanks for your directions to the bonfire but it's right not left at the bottom of the ramp :)

It really is an awesome game and the Halberd is serving me better than other weapons so far, the long reach is great.

• quadfather 26 Sep 2013 11:27:24 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The dart bastards are definitely guarding something.

There's a pyro spell in the level too.

And a sword too.

Ah right, I see what you mean about the ramp. There's 2 ramps. I was thinking of the other one. Still, least you found it, that's the main thing.

There's actually 4 routes in/out of blighttown

Were you in human form when you were at that second bonfire?

You've got to the point where it's completely under your skin now. It's fucking great isn't it :)

And it just keeps giving - most of us here are still playing it, 400 hours later :)

In fact, I might roll a char at the weekend haha

• Armoured_Bear 26 Sep 2013 11:42:16 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    The dart bastards are definitely guarding something.

There's a pyro spell in the level too.

And a sword too.

Ah right, I see what you mean about the ramp. There's 2 ramps. I was thinking of the other one. Still, least you found it, that's the main thing.

There's actually 4 routes in/out of blighttown

Were you in human form when you were at that second bonfire?

You've got to the point where it's completely under your skin now. It's fucking great isn't it :)

And it just keeps giving - most of us here are still playing it, 400 hours later :)

In fact, I might roll a char at the weekend haha
    No problem, I'm grateful for your help!
    I went to human form and killed Mildred who then helped me with the boss :D

I think I got the Pyro Spell and a couple of swords (Falchion and Server).
    Right those wee bastards are getting fireballed tonight!

It does get under your skin, once you come to terms with dying a lot and relaxing about losing souls it's a lot more enjoyable.

The atmosphere is incredible, also amazing is the sense of vertigo that they capture.

At firelink shrine I noticed there was a woman praying with someguards, I should see what they're up to I guess...

• quadfather 26 Sep 2013 11:48:39 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anytime. Anything to pass the humdrum of work :)

Ah, that's what I was alluding to about the bonfire. Cool. That's good.

Yes, they're right little sods and they need a slap

Yeah, dying is so passe :p And they'll always be souls around. It's losing 30 humanity that's a pisser

Agreed - some of the levels ooze atmosphere. And if you like atmosphere and the vertigo/scale of things, you're in for a right treat soon.

I'll keep quiet about that woman...

• Armoured_Bear 26 Sep 2013 11:50:42 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Yeah, dying is so passe :p And they'll always be souls around. It's losing 30 humanity that's a pisser

Agreed - some of the levels ooze atmosphere. And if you like atmosphere and the vertigo/scale of things, you're in for a right treat soon.

Could you explain Humanity, I don't really get it.
    I have 9 or so of them but apart from going into human form for a boss I have no clue.

What about souls of dead xxx?
    I have quite a few...

• Monsieur_Blade 26 Sep 2013 11:51:48 348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally got back to my dark souls play through last night after a few months break. I've made it to undead burg slums but something hit me last night after reading comments on here: how do I equip myself to cast magic?

I've got my weapon in my right slot, my shield in my left, my flasks and equipment in my lower but nothing in my upper slot. I'm guessing I'll need spells now in getting further into the game?

Ps - it felt great to be back playing this again last night. I forgot just how amazing the atmosphere and fighting mechanics are :)
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Sep 2013 11:53:59 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    Finally got back to my dark souls play through last night after a few months break. I've made it to undead burg slums but something hit me last night after reading comments on here: how do I equip myself to cast magic?

I've got my weapon in my right slot, my shield in my left, my flasks and equipment in my lower but nothing in my upper slot. I'm guessing I'll need spells now in getting further into the game?

Ps - it felt great to be back playing this again last night. I forgot just how amazing the atmosphere and fighting mechanics are :)
    You have to choose "attune magic" or something like that at a bonfire to equip the magic.

• Fixxxer 26 Sep 2013 12:01:18 1,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Best way to get past the blow darters is apparently to use a dung pie on yourself as it's a different, slower kind of toxic.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Sep 2013 12:12:59 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fixxxer wrote:
    Best way to get past the blow darters is apparently to use a dung pie on yourself as it's a different, slower kind of toxic.
    I have loads of that, thanks a lot!

• Monsieur_Blade 26 Sep 2013 12:16:40 348 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear ah right. Thanks a lot. I'll try that tonight.

Think I'm gonna be on here a lot in the coming weeks as I'll need all the help and advice I can get!
  • quadfather 26 Sep 2013 12:22:02 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

I have 9 or so of them but apart from going into human form for a boss I have no clue.

I have quite a few...
    Ok, humanity

Types

Type 1 - Humanity item

These are the items that you find in the game world, and are stored as an item in your inventory along with your other consumables.

If you use one, you will fully restore you HP, and you will increase your humanity stat (top left, to the left of your health and stamina) by 1.

Type 2 - Soft Humanity

This is the measurement of your current tally of humanity, which you can check by looking at that figure in the top left next to your health and stamina. When you start, it will be 00.

Acquiring

You can get humanity type 1 by:-

1) Killing bosses
    2) Killing rats (high ish drop rate)
    3) Buying limited amounts by various npc's.

You can get humanity type 2 by:-

1) Consuming humanity item
    2) Kill enemies in an area where you haven't killed the boss. Up to 10. Takes a while.
    3) Kill an invading Darkwraith, or players invading you with a cracked red eye orb, or black phantom npc's.

Use

1) Revive to human form at a bonfire
    2) Kindle a bonfire so you get more estus flasks when resting at it (v. useful. Firelink shrine always gives you 10. But most others only give you 5 until you kindle them. Later on you can raise this limit)
    3) The more soft humanity you have 'active' so to speak, the more benefits you get. For instance, it will increase your defenses. It also increases damage with certain weapons, especially chaos weapons. (up to 10 humanity)
    4) It increases your item discovery rate, enabling you to farm/find items more effectively
    5) Increases curse resistance
    6) Some covenants require donations of humanity in order to progress through their ranks

Also bear in mind that using humanity to enable you to kindle a bonfire will put you in human form. If you are in human form, you can be invaded (assuming you're online)

I think that's about it, but I may have missed some bits and bobs

Souls of a dead soldier, or whatever, are just soul points. Keep them in your inventory until you're at a bonfire and you need a few more souls in order to level up/upgrade stuff

• quadfather 26 Sep 2013 12:22:38 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear ah right. Thanks a lot. I'll try that tonight.

Think I'm gonna be on here a lot in the coming weeks as I'll need all the help and advice I can get!
    Welcome!

Another victim ;)

• Armoured_Bear 26 Sep 2013 12:34:34 11,341 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

I have quite a few...
    Ok, humanity

Types

Type 1 - Humanity item

These are the items that you find in the game world, and are stored as an item in your inventory along with your other consumables.

If you use one, you will fully restore you HP, and you will increase your humanity stat (top left, to the left of your health and stamina) by 1.

Type 2 - Soft Humanity

This is the measurement of your current tally of humanity, which you can check by looking at that figure in the top left next to your health and stamina. When you start, it will be 00.

Acquiring

You can get humanity type 1 by:-

1) Killing bosses
    2) Killing rats (high ish drop rate)
    3) Buying limited amounts by various npc's.

You can get humanity type 2 by:-

1) Consuming humanity item
    2) Kill enemies in an area where you haven't killed the boss. Up to 10. Takes a while.
    3) Kill an invading Darkwraith, or players invading you with a cracked red eye orb, or black phantom npc's.

Use

1) Revive to human form at a bonfire
    2) Kindle a bonfire so you get more estus flasks when resting at it (v. useful. Firelink shrine always gives you 10. But most others only give you 5 until you kindle them. Later on you can raise this limit)
    3) The more soft humanity you have 'active' so to speak, the more benefits you get. For instance, it will increase your defenses. It also increases damage with certain weapons, especially chaos weapons. (up to 10 humanity)
    4) It increases your item discovery rate, enabling you to farm/find items more effectively
    5) Increases curse resistance
    6) Some covenants require donations of humanity in order to progress through their ranks

Also bear in mind that using humanity to enable you to kindle a bonfire will put you in human form. If you are in human form, you can be invaded (assuming you're online)

I think that's about it, but I may have missed some bits and bobs

Souls of a dead soldier, or whatever, are just soul points. Keep them in your inventory until you're at a bonfire and you need a few more souls in order to level up/upgrade stuff
    That's fantastic, thank you so much!

• quadfather 26 Sep 2013 12:48:07 12,869 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No problems. When you get more comfortable with generally staying alive for long periods and/or when you decide you want X/Y/Z and need to farm, it's worth popping a few to get you bolstered

• Fixxxer 26 Sep 2013 13:01:29 1,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Fixxxer wrote:
    I have loads of that, thanks a lot!
    No worries. I was wrong about it being just one though. You need to use enough to make yourself toxic with them and then that type of toxicity drains your health much slower than blow dart toxicity.
  • Page

of 1210 First / Last