Dark Souls Page 873

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• Architect_z 24 Sep 2013 09:20:35 2,374 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Awwwwww, all these posts about people losing their souls, its so cute.

I remember being there, curesed, bitten to death by capras hounds...etc.

Right, thanks to ma buddy Dangerous Dan, i'm gonna buy a PS3 on Friday, and start a magic character.
    It's gonna be wierd loading up dark souls and not seeing all my characters listed. :'(
    Goodbye 'Ving Rhames'
  • teamHAM 24 Sep 2013 09:42:37 2,748 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Awwwwww, all these posts about people losing their souls, its so cute.
    Heh I was just thinking that.

How I don't miss the days when I lost millions in one go!

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• quadfather 24 Sep 2013 09:47:41 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Amateurs :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 09:52:50 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear - well done getting there.

Its a bugger for doing things like that to you. Just when you're getting comfortable, it'll get you.

Enjoy sens fortress :)
    Thanks mate.
    I converted my Gargoyle's Halberd to a Divine one, I need more Green Titanite to keep upgrading it.
    I just picked up Iaito though, it sounds as if it might be decent.

I went for the Heater Shield and upgraded it to +5, also just picked up Shadow Armor which I'll try.

I can't wait to finish work and get stuck back in, scary!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• quadfather 24 Sep 2013 10:08:03 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Iaito is pretty good if you have a fair bit of dex. What are your stats?

Heater shield is probably one of the best light 100% block shields imo

Shadow armour is good too.

Hah, you're well and truly addicted now. Have you done blighttown or still in it?

• quadfather 24 Sep 2013 10:09:53 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Architect_z - magic you say.

I might have to roll another char then

Though I'm running through demon's souls with a new char at the minute. Blitzed through the normal areas and then predictably got cocky in 5.1 and suffered the drunken chain death syndrome :)

• Dr_Mech 24 Sep 2013 10:16:52 996 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The other bonus of the Heater shield is that while it has 100% physical block it also has the parry timer of the lighter shields like the Buckler (which are pretty much dedicated parrying shields) all for a little bit more weight.

For you medium shield obvious the Balder Shield is pretty much your goto guy (you can buy it from a mercant later on if you didn't get one from the knights in Undead Parish) it has the best stability to weight ratio of any shield in the game (stability means that hits will take off less endurance when blocking).

The Best pure physical blocker in the game requires 34 strength to use and upgrading a shield with a specific boss soul BUT once you get it if a boss only does pure physical damage, you can basically tnnk their hits.

The best allround shield requires a mahoosive 50 Strength to use BUT it has amazing damage reductions across the board and doesn't require any boss soul upgrading, still it is kind of a late game item to use.

For armour if you're focusing on being nimble and dodging stuff just pick a set that allows you to at least midroll and that you like the look of. It is only when going for high protection do you bother actually seeking out specific armour sets for anything beyond looking like a badass (the ultra-bastard heavy armours being Havel's Set, the Black Iron set, the Stone set, the Giant's set and Smough's armour).
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 10:32:44 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Iaito is pretty good if you have a fair bit of dex. What are your stats?

Heater shield is probably one of the best light 100% block shields imo

Shadow armour is good too.

Hah, you're well and truly addicted now. Have you done blighttown or still in it?
    Vitality 21
    Attunement 14
    Endurance 27
    Strength 16
    Dexterity 30
    Resistance 12
    Intelligence 10
    Faith 8

I'm still in blighttown, I think I've collected quite a bit of stuff near the bonfire, wanted to keep pushing on but decided to sleep at 1am :-)

• Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 10:36:29 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One thing I love about this game is how well weight is conveyed, e.g. if youíre laden with heavy armour and roll you really feel it.
    Iím not explaining it well but I donít remember having the feel and weight of materials so well conveyed before.

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 10:39:05 24-09-2013

• Architect_z 24 Sep 2013 10:39:15 2,374 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Though I'm running through demon's souls with a new char at the minute. Blitzed through the normal areas and then predictably got cocky in 5.1 and suffered the drunken chain death syndrome :)
    I completed Demon's Souls not so long ago, I actually did a No armour / pure strength build. Pwned my way through most of the game, until I got to the Maneater boss. For some reason, I just couldn't kill him, it must have taken me about 30 attempts. It was a nightmare.

I really hope they have a Towers of Latria style level in the new Dark Souls. From start to finish, that world is one of the most atmopheric levels i've ever played in any game, ever.
  • quadfather 24 Sep 2013 10:39:22 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, that Iaito would suit you quite well I think. With 14 attunement you could get some buffs as well. Can't remember if magic weapon and great magic weapon will need more intelligence or not though. I find a weapon that's upgraded 'normally' and not elemental with a decent buff on it, out-damages the majority of elementally upgraded weapons.

This is the bonfire in the rickety walkway area yes?

You've got some fun coming up :)

Have you got the rusted iron ring?

I too, didn't get to hit the sack until gone 1am. Stupid demon's souls :)

• Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 10:39:57 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One thing I love about this game is how well weight is conveyed, e.g. if youíre laden with heavy armour and roll you really feel it.
    Iím not explaining it well but I donít remember having the feel and weight of materials so well conveyed before.

• Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 10:44:25 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Yeah, that Iaito would suit you quite well I think. With 14 attunement you could get some buffs as well. Can't remember if magic weapon and great magic weapon will need more intelligence or not though. I find a weapon that's upgraded 'normally' and not elemental with a decent buff on it, out-damages the majority of elementally upgraded weapons.

This is the bonfire in the rickety walkway area yes?

You've got some fun coming up :)

Have you got the rusted iron ring?

I too, didn't get to hit the sack until gone 1am. Stupid demon's souls :)
    Yep, that's the one.

I'm scared now.
    I have a ring that makes me stronger when low on HP and one that absorbs HP, that's it.

• quadfather 24 Sep 2013 10:57:01 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear - ah :)

Ah well :)

• Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 11:23:27 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear - ah :)

Ah well :)
    I just read that I may well need it :-(

• quadfather 24 Sep 2013 11:25:31 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You don't *need* it, but it makes things easier

• quadfather 24 Sep 2013 11:27:09 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    /checks blighttown map

• Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 19:32:06 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    /checks blighttown map
    Vitality 21
    Attunement 14
    Endurance 27
    Strength 16
    Dexterity 30
    Resistance 12
    Intelligence 10
    Faith 8

What would you put souls into now?
    Attunement for another slot (I have 3)?
    Vitality or Dexterity?

• quadfather 24 Sep 2013 20:32:37 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How many times do you get hit in a fight? Do you block a lot or circle and roll? I normally aim for 40 bit, end 40 and dex 40 for a standard dex build.

Endurance gives you more survivability if you're blocking and going toe to toe. Are you facing enemies head on or circling and backstabbing? If you're doing the latter you could go for damage and go full dex. However, you're at a point in the game where its going to ramp up soon so it might be an idea to look at end and vit.

What spells do you currently have and how often do you use them?

Are you thinking of upgrading the iaito and using that or still with divine gargoyle thing

• Armoured_Bear 24 Sep 2013 23:06:19 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    How many times do you get hit in a fight? Do you block a lot or circle and roll? I normally aim for 40 bit, end 40 and dex 40 for a standard dex build.

Endurance gives you more survivability if you're blocking and going toe to toe. Are you facing enemies head on or circling and backstabbing? If you're doing the latter you could go for damage and go full dex. However, you're at a point in the game where its going to ramp up soon so it might be an idea to look at end and vit.

What spells do you currently have and how often do you use them?

Are you thinking of upgrading the iaito and using that or still with divine gargoyle thing
    I block a lot but try and roll too :S
    I only have the first 2 Pyromancy fireballs (I'm a Pyromancer and I use them loads).
    I tried the Iato bu it seemed far less effective but I should try again.

I eventually got to the swamps, I died :-(

• quadfather 25 Sep 2013 08:57:05 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fair enough :)

The iaito will come into its own once its upgraded. As will the uchigatana.

Reason I'm mentioning the intelligence and spells is that If you do stick to a normally upgraded weapon, the magic buffs come in useful.

Swamp is a nightmare when you're not used to it. Picture a massive oval sort of shape and when you get to it it stretches left and right. Around the edges are some 'safe' areas, I.e., a bit of hard ground and round the pillars too.

The good news (lol) is that there's a bonfire down there.

There's also a lot of items scattered around the swamp and even secret stuff if you look carefully.

The rusted iron ring let's you move at normal speed in swamps.

Let me know if you want detailed specifics or whether you'd prefer to stumble blindly in the dark :)

• quadfather 25 Sep 2013 09:01:17 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also, and I will tell you this, watch out for things that are blow darting you. If they hit you enough times with the dart you'll be in a world of shit. They don't respawn.

To combat their dart effect you need blooming purple moss clumps. To counter the poison in the swamp you need normal purple moss clumps. If your health is high enough you can disregard the poison and just neck an estus now and again.

And wear something poison resistant! If you don't have anything, there's a set in blighttown that will help

• Widge Moderator 25 Sep 2013 09:29:08 13,251 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    £4.99 on Steam.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Armoured_Bear 25 Sep 2013 09:35:49 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Also, and I will tell you this, watch out for things that are blow darting you. If they hit you enough times with the dart you'll be in a world of shit. They don't respawn.

To combat their dart effect you need blooming purple moss clumps. To counter the poison in the swamp you need normal purple moss clumps. If your health is high enough you can disregard the poison and just neck an estus now and again.

And wear something poison resistant! If you don't have anything, there's a set in blighttown that will help
    I had to use both types of purple moss clumps before I died :-(
    Hopefully I can get to the bonfire tonight!

• quadfather 25 Sep 2013 10:18:39 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Let me know if you want directions. Its not that easy to find

• Armoured_Bear 25 Sep 2013 10:29:59 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Let me know if you want directions. Its not that easy to find
    Please!

• quadfather 25 Sep 2013 10:43:59 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok, as you make your way down to the swamp from the first bonfire, you'll end up going down a sort of bridge type thing/walkway, with annoying posts on either side, hindering you if you try and navigate them.

At the bottom of here, just before the swamp starts, they'll be those large beetle type monster things. Probably some pesky mosquitoes too.

As soon as you get to the bottom so the swamp is directly in front of you, immediately turn left and hug the wall. You should encounter another beetly type thing. Keep going and keep your eye on the left. You should come across a tunnel opening. It's just in there.

If you keep going left and end up at some leeches, you've gone too far

It's not actually that far from the bottom of the ramp where you turn left.

Ah man, there's so much more to tell about this level, but I'll be quiet now :)

• Armoured_Bear 25 Sep 2013 11:10:22 10,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Ok, as you make your way down to the swamp from the first bonfire, you'll end up going down a sort of bridge type thing/walkway, with annoying posts on either side, hindering you if you try and navigate them.

At the bottom of here, just before the swamp starts, they'll be those large beetle type monster things. Probably some pesky mosquitoes too.

As soon as you get to the bottom so the swamp is directly in front of you, immediately turn left and hug the wall. You should encounter another beetly type thing. Keep going and keep your eye on the left. You should come across a tunnel opening. It's just in there.

If you keep going left and end up at some leeches, you've gone too far

It's not actually that far from the bottom of the ramp where you turn left.

Ah man, there's so much more to tell about this level, but I'll be quiet now :)
    That sounds easy enough, thanks a lot!

/Watches clock

• Architect_z 25 Sep 2013 11:15:25 2,374 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Has anyone ever done a cosplay build? As in a playthrough on NG+ with one of the games characters?

I was thinking of a Paladin Leeroy build, I wouldnt mind Iron Tarkus either.

Anyone else done one?
  • quadfather 25 Sep 2013 11:34:13 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear - No problems.

Just out of interest, do you always play in human form?

• Page

of 1193 First / Last