of 1190 First / Last

• docrob 16 Sep 2013 12:14:55 277 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep, so I've heard!
  • quadfather 16 Sep 2013 12:37:20 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    lower undead burg is the next logical place, but as just mentioned, the Capra demon is an absolute turd.

You could always go the other way - out the back of the parish, go see blacksmith, upgrade stuff and then wander around the forest for a while

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dr_Mech 16 Sep 2013 20:49:43 940 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just a few questions.

You have been upgrading your gear right?

About 3-4 complete circuit of undead Parish will net you enough souls to fully upgrade your weapon to +5 which you should have gotten during the soft humanity farming.

Have you found a weapon that you've clicked with yet? For some people the slow but hard hitting strength weapons are their favourites (my personal favorite playstyle of big weapon, big shield, bastard heavy armour but then I've done all sorts of different weapon runs) while others prefer the weak hitting but quick Dex weapons.

Also if you want to make Capra a bit easier, I recommend looking up how to get the Wolf ring unless you're playing as the knight (which gets enough Poise from their starting armour set), the dogs wont stunlock you while make a ran to a certain spot.

The Capra fight is essentially the game going, "oh so you've beaten 2 bosses, think you're some kind of big shot now do you...well say hello to this mother fucker and his hounds!"

The fight is kind of absurd in that it is probably the third hardest fight in the game if you take it on as you're meant to (solo, no wolf ring, +5 weapon and probably starting gear) to the point where in NG+...Capra is something of a joke since you're fully geared up at that point.
  • Bremenacht 16 Sep 2013 22:35:37 15,753 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Fucking FINALLY beat the bloody gargoyles and rang the bell just now. Had about half a dozen deaths. I'm embarrassed to admit that I died again despite Solaire's help (got backed up against the wall by both gargoyles, he died, so did I), then had another half dozen goes alone and had my arse handed to me every time. Eventually farmed for another Humanity, summoned Solaire again and abandoned all subtlety, just wailing on the back of the first Gargoyle with the Drake Sword and R2 attacks. Result - one dead Gargoyle followed swiftly by another dead Gargoyle. Result!

On previous tries, I couldn't even hit them with fireballs despite locking on.

Now have a combination of satisfaction and shame - shame since I've been in the Parish so long now I'm SL 26, and I needed 3 summons to beat the boss...
    I suffered worse Gargoyle shame, because I couldn't beat the first with Solaire at all. Similar story - Pyro sadness. Ended up accepting a summons offer and watched someone 2 or 3-hit kill them both in less than 30 seconds. Ringing the bell made up for it somewhat.

It's an itch I cannot now scratch.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• DodgyPast 17 Sep 2013 02:26:56 8,333 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got around to starting this on the PC. Nearly quit after an hour when I realised I had to kill that huge demon.

Went back to it this morning and managed to kill it ( fortunately collecting my past souls)

I'm now sat at the bonfire thinking wtf am I going to do next.

Want to go for dex based stuff so was wondering how to get a reasonable weapon that will be worth upgrading. Also how should I balance upgrading my stats.

Edit:
    Ran to the dragon and died... But not before grabbing a fancy sword and shield. Upgraded my faith to 14 to use it.... It seems pretty decent.

Edited by DodgyPast at 06:30:30 17-09-2013
  • quadfather 17 Sep 2013 08:36:18 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DodgyPast - was that a big flaming red dragon or a sort of very still darker dragon? Did you have to up your faith to wield that sword you found and is it called astora's sword?

If you want to go dex based I'd recommend upgrading vitality, endurance and dexterity. But I'd leave the rest of the stats for now unless you have to upgrade them to wield a weapon you want to use.

• DodgyPast 17 Sep 2013 16:00:36 8,333 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @DodgyPast - was that a big flaming red dragon or a sort of very still darker dragon? Did you have to up your faith to wield that sword you found and is it called astora's sword?

If you want to go dex based I'd recommend upgrading vitality, endurance and dexterity. But I'd leave the rest of the stats for now unless you have to upgrade them to wield a weapon you want to use.
    Yeah, Astora's sword and shield. Started with a Wanderer with the master key but picked up a few soul items before dying while randomly exploring so I'm at around level 12.

I like that it thrusts and slashes. So wouldn't mind having an idea of what's are good slashing focused and thrusting swords to go after that are based mostly on dex.

The Uchigatana looks pretty interesting as well.

I'm quite enjoying those two fighting styles.

BTW.... Can I store or sell crap so I don't have to lug it around?

Edited by DodgyPast at 16:01:59 17-09-2013
  • LeoliansBro 17 Sep 2013 16:35:45 41,863 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bottomless box is sold by Andre between the undead parish and the darkroot garden. You can use it to keep your stuff at the bonfire, although I don't bother these days.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• quadfather 17 Sep 2013 16:46:27 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DodgyPast - You want a balder side sword then.

They drop from the sword wielding balder knights in the undead parish.

Though they never bloody drop for me.

• DodgyPast 17 Sep 2013 17:36:59 8,333 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just messed around with one of those guys with the huge clubs that are in the tunnel to the right of the dragon with the sword and the shield.

Took 3 attempts but pulled one of them off and murdered it before legging it back to the bonfire.

The sword play is superb. That's enough reason to play at the moment though I really should find undead berg.
  • quadfather 17 Sep 2013 19:11:12 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DodgyPast - heh where you fought that club guy is the back entrance to a rather nasty place. But each to their own :)

• quadfather 17 Sep 2013 19:12:15 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah the sword play and general combat is superb isn't it. I want to hear what you've got to say when you take on a black knight successfully. Reckon you'll be well chuffed with that

• quadfather 17 Sep 2013 19:13:36 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To find the lower undead burg you need the basment key (iirc) and there's a door nearby the red dragon. That's the general area.

Have you met an npc near there that likes the sun?

• Deleted user 17 September 2013 19:19:00
    Never played this or Demon Souls but sorely tempted to give it a go. I know its hard as nails and that I'll probably rage quit after 10 minutes but really intrigued. Wondering if its worth starting with Demon Souls first as its about 15 on Amazon or if its best to jump into Dark Sous straight away...never feels right playing the older game if a new one is out. :/
  • quadfather 17 Sep 2013 19:31:59 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Panhaggerty - I'm biased but I'd say try demons souls. It is hard to begin with, I'll not lie there. But its the kind of game where you need to learn how it works. Once you get this, it will 'click' and you'll be as addicted as we all are.

Took me at least 5 attempts for demon's to click and I nearly sold it as it wasn't working for me but I'm soooo glad I didn't. Its one of the most rewarding games you can play this gen.

Don't let the hardness put you off, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish when you concentrate - and this is a game that will make you concentrate

• quadfather 17 Sep 2013 19:35:17 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In fact the eg review of demons souls nails it - "its about going up against impossible odds and WINNING"

You won't get a more rewarding experience when you win, I'll put a wager on that. Not many games can give you that nowadays

Edited by quadfather at 19:36:30 17-09-2013

• Deleted user 17 September 2013 19:56:44
    Thanks for the reply and advice. Just bought my PS3 with GTA 5, The Last of Us and Rayman Legends but it looks like I've got a bit more spending to do. Don't think I've got time for the next gen. ;)
  • quadfather 17 Sep 2013 20:06:27 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Panhaggerty - heh, with that lot you've got some time issues incoming :)

Last time I checked I'd spent over 300 hours on demons souls, and probably more on dark souls so I reckon you're sorted for a while :)

• docrob 17 Sep 2013 20:51:06 277 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I literally couldn't get off Level 1-1 on Demon's Souls. I genuinely had a proper go at it, but it just didn't work out for me. After about 30 repeats of the same section, I'd had enough.

Dark Souls nearly went the same way, but I managed to hang in there this time, and I've managed not to rage quit yet. OTOH, I'm now dying to the Undead Assassins in the Lower Burg, and I have to tackle either Capra or the Titanite Demon next.
  • quadfather 17 Sep 2013 20:53:33 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You didn't click, that's what happened. Prepare yourself for Capra. The assassins can be very annoying and if them and Capra are too mich , I'd suggest wandering around the forest for a while

• quadfather 17 Sep 2013 20:54:09 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Plus you can run past the titanite demon

• quadfather 17 Sep 2013 20:56:23 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In fact I have to mention this now. When you go through the Capra fog gate you need to move your arse pronto. It's all about the space you have to fight him and his minions in

• puddleduck 17 Sep 2013 22:44:40 1,850 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wish I could mindwipe DD, Quaddy and myself and play through this again :)

Good work Quad, keeping the Dark Souls Support Network going nicely!
  • DodgyPast 18 Sep 2013 05:02:22 8,333 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    To find the lower undead burg you need the basment key (iirc) and there's a door nearby the red dragon. That's the general area.

Not sure I've met an NPC that likes the sun. Started with with the master key and stumbled across a watery tunnel to undead berg while farming up to finish a level after I came back from killing the club guy.

I think it's sort of clicking. For example I boosted my endurance a couple of levels so that I could block a glancing blow from the club guy enough to roll away for the follow up of that 2 swipe combination.

Going to try and find the bottomless box LB mentioned since I seem to be carrying a huge range of weaponry... Also hoping to find someone to give me a bow.

I'd say Dark Souls is more accessible than Demon Souls.... Except for the fact that I could see lots of people rage quitting due to the Asylum Demon. I got stuck on 1-1 on Demon's Souls... Though can see myself going back to it after finishing Dark Souls.
  • docrob 18 Sep 2013 08:16:14 277 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I rescued Lautrec in the Parish, but my research tells me that I really want his ring (the one that breaks if removed). He's currently sitting at Firelink Shrine. I'm planning a Dex build, so I don't need his armour. I gather that you can either kick him off the edge or use the Drake Sword shock wave, quit the game and go back in to grab it.

His armour aside, is there any significant disadvantage to my doing this right now? I could really use the HP & stamina boost.
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Sep 2013 08:33:30 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    His armour aside, is there any significant disadvantage to my doing this right now? I could really use the HP & stamina boost.
    You won't receive his and the dingy armour.
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Sep 2013 08:39:37 1,384 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    I rescued Lautrec in the Parish, but my research tells me that I really want his ring (the one that breaks if removed). He's currently sitting at Firelink Shrine. I'm planning a Dex build, so I don't need his armour. I gather that you can either kick him off the edge or use the Drake Sword shock wave, quit the game and go back in to grab it.

His armour aside, is there any significant disadvantage to my doing this right now? I could really use the HP

For the emperor!

• quadfather 18 Sep 2013 08:44:47 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @puddleduck \0/

• docrob 18 Sep 2013 09:16:02 277 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha, hadn't realised about the Dingy Set. Thing is, it sounds like its main advantage is curse resistance, and as far as I can tell, that's going to be most useful in the Depths - ie before ringing the second bell, which you need to do before getting the set?
  • quadfather 18 Sep 2013 09:17:24 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

Not sure I've met an NPC that likes the sun. Started with with the master key and stumbled across a watery tunnel to undead berg while farming up to finish a level after I came back from killing the club guy.

I think it's sort of clicking. For example I boosted my endurance a couple of levels so that I could block a glancing blow from the club guy enough to roll away for the follow up of that 2 swipe combination.

Going to try and find the bottomless box LB mentioned since I seem to be carrying a huge range of weaponry... Also hoping to find someone to give me a bow.

I'd say Dark Souls is more accessible than Demon Souls.... Except for the fact that I could see lots of people rage quitting due to the Asylum Demon. I got stuck on 1-1 on Demon's Souls... Though can see myself going back to it after finishing Dark Souls.
    Sun bloke is at the opposite end of the red dragon. It's worth talking to him.

As for a bow, there's a merchant in the undead burg that sells one. Look for some crates and start rolling around.

And yes, I reckon you'll revisit Demon's at some point. Resistance is futile :)

• Page

of 1190 First / Last