Dark Souls Page 869

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• RedSparrows 13 Sep 2013 10:29:42 20,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone want to join me (PC) and get me through Sen's? I just can't be arsed and I feel like I'm missing out.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2013 10:52:39 10,543 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What level are you?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• RedSparrows 13 Sep 2013 10:55:04 20,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    34, I think.

Teeny tiny little weakling. It was more that I got through and then got eaten by a fucking disgusting chest monster and then I thought 'fuck this' and never went back. And then I pop up in here and say 'oh woe is me' every now and then, so I'd like to at least change the scenery for my woe.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Sep 2013 10:56:29 41,863 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SL34 is going to make Sen's tough, but I guess you did Blighttown so you've got the stones for it.

But it's an odd one to ask for help on, as there's little that summoned phantoms can actually do to help. My suggestion? Man the fuck up ;)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Grax 13 Sep 2013 10:59:56 1,200 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    And attack any chest before opening it
  • LeoliansBro 13 Sep 2013 11:03:48 41,863 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    And two handed jump attack any chest before opening it

• Julpero 13 Sep 2013 11:04:45 38 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Congrats on doing it. Did you use Sif for Manus?
    I did it solo. I haven't used any summons after the first time I beat the Belltower Gargoyles. Solaire made that fight so easy that I decided that I didn't want the fights to get too easy.

There really hasn't been any boss that I've required help with and honestly I wanted to solo them all just to get the bragging rights. :p

I hope I didn't miss any lore for not summoning Sif.
  • Grax 13 Sep 2013 11:12:32 1,200 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @LeoliansBro two handed jump attack?? Does it one shot them or summit
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2013 11:17:09 10,543 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Julpero - There is a tad of lore. If you rescue sif, you get a different cut scene when you do 'normal' sif.

That is, if you've not already done normal sif

/paradox

• RedSparrows 13 Sep 2013 11:42:41 20,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    SL34 is going to make Sen's tough, but I guess you did Blighttown so you've got the stones for it.

But it's an odd one to ask for help on, as there's little that summoned phantoms can actually do to help. My suggestion? Man the fuck up ;)
    Or maybe I am 43. I can't remember.

I just want someone to summon me through it. Boohoo, waa waa.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Sep 2013 11:43:04 41,863 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    @LeoliansBro two handed jump attack?? Does it one shot them or summit
    Nope, but you want to be hurting them as much as possible before they stand up, given they are tough as fuck and hit HARD.

• quadfather 13 Sep 2013 11:49:13 10,543 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    34, I think.

Teeny tiny little weakling. It was more that I got through and then got eaten by a fucking disgusting chest monster and then I thought 'fuck this' and never went back. And then I pop up in here and say 'oh woe is me' every now and then, so I'd like to at least change the scenery for my woe.
    I'll have a look and see If I've got anything around that level. Not sure I have, but I'll check

• Julpero 13 Sep 2013 13:01:12 38 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather I rescued him and haven't killed Sif yet in the Darkroot Garden so I guess I didn't miss anything yet.

@LeoliansBro I don't get how they're tough. You only need to strafe against them and hit them in the back. They're slow as hell. I think I've only gotten hit by them when I tried to open the chest and didn't remember to attack it first.

Edited by Julpero at 13:02:58 13-09-2013
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2013 13:10:25 10,543 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Julpero - ah right, that's cool then re Sif

• Julpero 13 Sep 2013 17:16:00 38 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So... is it worth it to spend a Titanite Slab on armor? I remember using my last Slab on the first play-through on a Black Bow of Pharis and thought it was a complete waste since it only added 5 damage to it.

I've got a few weapons that I could upgrade to +15, Estoc, Claymore, Bandit's Knife, and the most appealing to me, Shotel, at +14. I'm just wondering if it would be better to upgrade my Elite Knight Armor to +10 instead. Almost every weapon gets really limited damage from the upgrade.

I've already got a good selection of Dex-based weapons so I don't think I really need any of the other weapons. Murakumo, Great Scythe, Lifehunt Scythe, Dark Silver and Gold tracer, Uchigatana and Black Bow all maxed so it's not like I have any need for the other weapons.
  • Julpero 14 Sep 2013 21:19:59 38 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sigh... the feeling you can only get from fucking up the Siegmeyer of Catalina quest. First I managed to hit him and then he got eaten by the Chaos eater. After that another Chaos eater broke my equipment. Great success.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Sep 2013 14:01:06 13,798 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chaps does the PTD edition have the extra content on a disc or do you get a code to download the extra bits

I only ask as I can go for this edition or the ltd edition (which looks rather nice) both around the 18 mark. I know the ltd does not have the added content of course, but I could download form LIVE.

forgot to ask, does anyone knoe if we are likely to get the game on PS+

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 14:01:50 15-09-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• FuzzyDuck 15 Sep 2013 14:59:28 3,529 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

It's on the disc Duff (at least the PS3 version is, I assume it's the same on 360), I actually flogged my original copy towards the PtD Edition as the cost was the same as downloading it, and I actually feel like I own it that way.

Shamefully, after sinking over 180 hours into the standard one (and getting the Platinum trophy), I've never actually played the new area :redface:
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Sep 2013 15:19:23 13,798 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck
    Cheers :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Dr_Mech 16 Sep 2013 00:03:07 940 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right so decided to break out the old Soul Level 1 run just to break in my Dark Souls muscles after two months away from the game. This time doing things I'd learned since my original SL1 run (i.e. how to break the game), while it took some doing managed to at Soul level 1 and before ringing either of the bells.

A)Beat Capra.
    B)Get a Battle axe to +10
    C)Get a reinforced club to Fire reinforced club +5

If I really felt like it I could have gotten the Battle Axe to +15 but its going to be upgraded into a lightning weapon so there isn't any point in going above +10.

Then proceeded to oneshot the Tarus Demon on a drop attack and took out the Gargoyles in 5 shots each.

I mean I had to work to break the game that way but tis one of the reason I love this game so, it doesn't so much shrug its shoulders at sequence breaking, it actively encourages it by saying, "sure you beat the game...but do you KNOW the game, are you good enough to take a low level in crappy equipment through this area just to get this sweet lategame item?"

Edited by Dr_Mech at 03:38:57 16-09-2013
  • docrob 16 Sep 2013 09:00:36 277 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I've been trying to get into this game recently. I wasn't an early convert - I found Demons' Souls incredibly frustrating, so I resisted getting Dark Souls for ages, but eventually picked it up cheaply after hearing all the love. My first couple of attempts didn't go well and I shelved it. Now I'm trying to have a proper go, having done a ton of Internet research (needed in this game like no other IMHO).

The trouble is that I suck at the combat in this game. I know I'm improving slowly, but I currently can't beat the Gargoyles in the Parish (managed to die last night even after summoning Solaire, fuck knows how). Can't even make a dent in a Black Knight - have been practicing parry/riposte but can't pull it off except on the occasional Hollow. Started as a Pyromancer, but struggling to use the fireball in combat as it casts so slowly.

Managed to get a BSS last night and upgrade it to +5, but still using the Drake Sword ATM for increased damage output.

Reading about what comes later in the game, I wonder if I should just quit now and save myself the grief!
  • Grax 16 Sep 2013 09:25:52 1,200 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @docrob keep at it, I think most people struggle in the areas you have first time, black knights are bastard hard at the beginning but trust me a little later on they become pussy cats, I would suggest taking your time occasionally farming and ridding yourself of the drake sword as soon as humanly possible
  • quadfather 16 Sep 2013 09:33:49 10,543 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @docrob - I know it sounds stupid, but can you say how the fights go? I.e., do you lock on, shield up, circle them, wait for them to hit you shield, etc etc? Can you talk us through it and how it goes wrong?

• docrob 16 Sep 2013 09:34:33 277 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My plan for today (have the morning off) is to farm a little around the Parish (I was doing runs to get my BSS last night so have this down pat) until I get a soft Humanity, then go back and try the Gargoyles again. Not going to waste hard humanity while I'm still likely to die!
  • docrob 16 Sep 2013 09:38:24 277 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Difficult to describe. I've tried both locking on and not locking on, and I keep my shield up. I keep getting hit - usually at least once before we've even started fighting, probably due to poor timing of rolls. I get hit every time I even try Pyromancy, without fail. My best effort so far was actually unassisted - got in close and managed to get a rhythm going, got the first gargoyle down to 1/4, then got roasted from behind by the second!

I really can't even begin to explain how I managed to lose with Solaire tanking for me.
  • quadfather 16 Sep 2013 09:54:10 10,543 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @docrob - ok. And this is happening against normal enemies, or is it just bosses you're having a problem with?

• docrob 16 Sep 2013 10:09:11 277 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, I've no trouble with normal enemies. I'm actually beginning to wonder if perhaps I'm letting my guard down against the gargoyles because I don't expect it to work. Will find out shortly...
  • quadfather 16 Sep 2013 10:43:40 10,543 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah right. Well, bosses are generally a lot stronger than normal enemies.

What's your endurance on?

Tip for the gargoyles - if you have some pine resin, whack that on your weapon - it makes short work of them. Also, go for the first ones tail - that takes a lot off it as well.

As for the second one, keep circling it and you'll avoid the fire it breathes

If it's any consolation, it took me about 7-8 attempts to get these twats when I first started playing

• docrob 16 Sep 2013 12:03:18 277 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fucking FINALLY beat the bloody gargoyles and rang the bell just now. Had about half a dozen deaths. I'm embarrassed to admit that I died again despite Solaire's help (got backed up against the wall by both gargoyles, he died, so did I), then had another half dozen goes alone and had my arse handed to me every time. Eventually farmed for another Humanity, summoned Solaire again and abandoned all subtlety, just wailing on the back of the first Gargoyle with the Drake Sword and R2 attacks. Result - one dead Gargoyle followed swiftly by another dead Gargoyle. Result!

On previous tries, I couldn't even hit them with fireballs despite locking on.

Now have a combination of satisfaction and shame - shame since I've been in the Parish so long now I'm SL 26, and I needed 3 summons to beat the boss...

Oh, where to next? Darkroot Garden? Depths? Lower Burg?

Edited by docrob at 12:04:18 16-09-2013
  • Grax 16 Sep 2013 12:11:12 1,200 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @docrob there are lots of little bits to do between now and then but defo the depths, be warned though to get to the depths you will have to defeat the capra demon (who in my mind is alot harder then the gargoyles
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last