Dark Souls Page 841

• Page

of 1218 First / Last

• TommyUnderwear 27 Jul 2013 15:06:15 120 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just figured I have put 210 hours into this game on this console alone and the last one was 100 before it died. 310 hours. And I still know sweet FA about the game.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2013 15:52:58
    My first character was somewhere around 225+hrs before I started making different builds incessantly.

Experimenting with different weapons, rings, armour etc makes a hell of a difference PvP wise (parry timings especially).

Although, any game you spend 200hrs on, you know a bit more than you're letting on I'd wager ;)
  • Gruff 29 Jul 2013 08:20:59 2,947 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Freakin enjoying this, its rare these days that I get hooked on a game that isn't called FM13.

I tend to play it in bite sized pieces, each section is so well put together its like a game within a game, rock hard, but entirely fair.

The sense of atmosphere is choking, so much so that I am actually hesitant to move into new areas.

Such a rewarding and dense game experience, a rare gem.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Architect_z 29 Jul 2013 16:45:08 2,412 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rare yes, however not the only one of its kind. In fact theres a better version of Dark Souls, its called Demons Souls, but its only on PS3
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Jul 2013 17:45:09 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In fact theres a better version of Dark Souls, its called Demons Souls
    Word.

hehe
  • quadfather 29 Jul 2013 19:17:38 13,379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    In fact theres a better version of Dark Souls, its called Demons Souls
    Word.

hehe
    /borat voice

"High five!"

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dangerous_Dan 29 Jul 2013 19:28:15 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Now people will think we are being sarcastic...

Btw. We are not!
  • Dr_Mech 29 Jul 2013 23:08:54 1,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Eh I shall be contrary and say the Dark Souls is the better game, because I can!

Prefer the lack of equipment burden (hands up who misses that from Demon Souls?) and the interconnected world of Dark Souls and the better parry/backstab window. Though Demon's Souls does have one big advantage over Dark Souls.

Atmosphere, Tower of Latria anyone?
  • TommyUnderwear 30 Jul 2013 01:24:50 120 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:

First time I played that level, I completely shat myself. More like a survivor horror game, had me on edge the whole way through.
  • Dangerous_Dan 30 Jul 2013 05:25:24 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Prefer the lack of equipment burden (hands up who misses that from Demon Souls?) and the interconnected world of Dark Souls and the better parry/backstab window. Though Demon's Souls does have one big advantage over Dark Souls.

Actually, I do like the item burden in Demon's, one more thing to be mindful about. Makes it a bit more classic RPG in my eyes - I like that.

I also prefer the upgrade system - how the upgrades are depending on the kind of weapon. Of course the atmosphere... that could fill an entire thread.

And especially for PvP, I prefer the backstab system of Demon's. With the tighter angle and roll cancels-backstab-damage aspect. It requires more skill to pull it off.
    I also prefer the characters in Demon's, even Patches is better in Demon's, in my view. Dark is much lighter, also more humorous - they are a bit of a caricature.

The big change in Dark Souls was the introduction of poise in the melee mechanic. Good that they wanted to improve it but in its current form it's quite a bit broken in PvP.

And what's really cool in Demon's is the Thief ring - it actually makes you invisible if you are out of range in PvP. Makes for great ambushes in PvP.

Things which I like a lot in Dark -
    Chameleon magic.

There is some kind of seriousness in Demon's which I miss about Dark.

Both games are great though.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2013 08:39:17 13,379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aye you've hit it - its the seriousness. Along with the excellent feelings of despair and desolation. And its more emotional too. Maiden Astrea anyone?

And on a technical note, its much faster and more fluid. Like quake 1 is compared to quake 3.

• LeoliansBro 30 Jul 2013 08:45:25 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was a gnat's pube away from getting a PS3 for Demons. Is Dark Souls really that different that I need to experience both?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Architect_z 30 Jul 2013 08:50:54 2,412 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ATMOSPHERE!!! Dark souls has atmosphere aswell, just not half as much as Demon's.

I think its the atmosphere that mainly sells it, I like how the boss fights require more technique than in Dark Souls, plus whenever I play dark souls, each enemy I run to, just circle until their back is in range, backstab, dead. In demons i've spent 5 minutes on one spear guy, the enemies are lethal. Especially the octopus headed guys.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2013 08:56:01 13,379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro - I can't vouch that it's massively different but for atmosphere I can't recommend it enough. Everything about it oozes it - the characters, the monsters, the levels, the sound and music, the bosses, the cryptic backstory, the nexus, the whole lot.

Red Eyed Knights are truly things to be feared

• Dangerous_Dan 30 Jul 2013 09:07:58 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I was a gnat's pube away from getting a PS3 for Demons. Is Dark Souls really that different that I need to experience both?
    I bought a PS3 only because of Demon's and if it would have remained the only game - it still would have been worth it.

But on the other hand I think they'll have some FullHD PS3 classics selection on PS4 eventually.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 09:09:09 30-07-2013
  • Benno 30 Jul 2013 09:24:48 10,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My first battle with a Red Eyed Knight was when Demons' finally clicked for me. Great game!
  • Widge Moderator 30 Jul 2013 09:28:22 13,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    My first death at the hands of a Red Eyed Knight was when Demons' finally clicked for me. Great game!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• quadfather 30 Jul 2013 10:04:33 13,379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    My first battle with a Red Eyed Knight was when Demons' finally clicked for me. Great game!
    The one with the spear? It's gotta be hasn't it

• Architect_z 30 Jul 2013 15:01:08 2,412 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All I remember about my first red eye knight experience (in Boletaria) was....

-Tunnel with red eye knight at the end of it.
    -Message on floor stating "People new to the game should avoid this area"
    -Me stupidly walking towards knight thinking "that guy must have shed loads of souls, how hard can he be".
    -Red Eye Knight charges towards me, spear in front of him.....
    -*Cling* *Clang* *Impale noise*
    -YOU DIED

Ok so my souls are by that guy now.

-Back at tunnel
    -Creep quietly towards souls
    -Red knight charges again
    -"shit shit shit!"
    -YOU DIED

Edited by Architect_z at 15:03:04 30-07-2013
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2013 15:03:16 13,379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The first time I tried to take him on and realised I was completely outmatched, I just ran away, and got stuck on the trebuchet thing nearby. I could hear his footsteps thudding closer and closer. Fucking awesome (and pant shitting) moment

Died, obviously.

• ZuluHero 30 Jul 2013 15:31:30 4,307 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Benno wrote:
    My first death at the hands of a Red Eyed Knight was when Demons' finally clicked for me. Great game!
    I used to love farming the one in 1-1, good way to get souls fast.
  • Dangerous_Dan 30 Jul 2013 15:39:20 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some claim that Dark Souls is more difficult than Demon's...

I can only assume that they all played it in strong white world tendency because in pure black even NG can be a frustrating experience for a veteran. One hit kills are a common theme at that stage. I'm not even talking about NG+ ...that....Is a challenge.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2013 15:51:37 13,379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Even on normal tendency, ng+ is suicide half the time. If you haven't got second chance, you're screwed if you make a mistake against a powerful enemy

Well, I am anyway :)

I went to pure black on my first character and went into NG+ with the soulbrandt that does MINUS damage in black world tendency. Way to go!

• Dangerous_Dan 30 Jul 2013 15:58:04 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I went to pure black on my first character and went into NG+ with the soulbrandt that does MINUS damage in black world tendency. Way to go!
    Healing the mobs back to full health so to speak. I'm telling you - You are a man who is too kind at times.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2013 16:23:29 13,379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't actually clock what was going on till I died a million times and checked the wiki.

I remember how hard blue eyed knights hit on ng+. Goes straight through second chance

• Rhaegyr 30 Jul 2013 16:43:10 2,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I prefer Dark Souls to Demon's - the atmosphere was a lot better in Demon's and I loved the world tendency system, yet the levels and world as a whole didn't match up to Dark Souls connected bliss. It was over a bit too soon for my liking, too.

I can't remember the other finer points but I completed Demon's once and Dark Souls nearly three times - kinda indicates my preference.

Tower of Latria is indeed the best level across both games, though.

Edit - I honestly didn't find the games that different either; Dark Souls always seemed like a natural continuation of Demon's.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 16:45:06 30-07-2013
  • Dr_Mech 31 Jul 2013 00:25:58 1,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One of the things I love in Dark Souls is that one of the bridges (either the one you fight the Tarus Demon on or the one with the Hellkite Drake) can be seen from multiple places throughout the world. You can see it from the top of the bell tower in Undead Parish, you can see it from the Blighttown swamp, you can see it from Duke's Archives.

Or for that matter the Duke's Archives themselves, through everywhere that isn't underground you can see it, always looming over you in the distance until you finally get there yourself.

It gives the world of Dark Souls a sense of place. A sense of how far you have come. A reminder that yes, you did cross that bridge, you did conquer the hardships that were laid before you and you have continued on but never forget where you have been, because what it has taught you will serve you well as you move on.

You would think it would make the world seem small but it somehow doesn't. Though I have always wanted to see past the walls that surround Lordran that you can see from Firelink shrine, that reach into the very depths of Lost Izalith. I want to see more of the world of Dark Souls, Catarina, Carim, Thorolund, Balder even the far east that Shiva and his bodyguard come from.

I'm honestly amazed nobody has taken the Dark Souls/Demon Souls combat system and made an MMO out of it, sure some guy might beat your big dungeon boss (because Raid bosses would just be stupid with a Dark Souls style combat system) on his own at soul level 1...more power to that guy. Give equipment stat requirements instead of level requirements.

There is a reason Souls games have staying power long after they've been finished, mastery of the game and experimentation that is encouraged. Don't punish a player because they found a difficult way to wall jump past a boss encounter to an unreachable spot, allow them to have tier rewards then tweak the boss silently so the next time someone tries it the get an unexpected smack to the face.

How many games would allow me to do the Firelink-New Londo-valley of the Drakes-Darkroot Basin run and from there manage to successfully make it up the ladder the Hydra is guarding (it is VERY difficult to do by the way but you can do it) and talk to Alvina and then Shiva so I can get access to exotic weapons early on by buying them from Shiva in Blighttown at SL1?

Edited by Dr_Mech at 00:30:38 31-07-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 31 Jul 2013 07:19:19 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    An illustration of Two ways how to play Dark Souls
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 08:26:25
    Damn you dark souls. I only went to play for a few mins and have a piss about in ng+ with my SL80 char. Four hours later I looked at the clock and thought "what the hell?? It's happened again!!!"

Ng+ not too bad so far. Both bells rung, ceaseless discharge dead and the first half of demon ruins done as is new Londo ruins. Can't do the bosses yet obv as now off to sens then anor Londo.

Is it worth upgrading the gravelord sword? I'm currently rocking either quelaags furysword +5, +10fire gargoyle Halberd,  or my +15 great scythe. I also have a +15 black bow of pharis.

Also I'm now at SL101... Just been upping my vit which is now at 34... I take it it's still pointless to take my dex further than 40?

Edited by BillCityfingers at 08:27:55 31-07-2013
  • Page

of 1218 First / Last