Dark Souls Page 836

• Page

of 1257 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 July 2013 23:23:26
    Riiight. Pretty epic sesh tonight. Spent a fair bit doing LI to get what I needed for my chaos upgrades.

SL 72

20 VIT
    20 END
    14 STR
    14 DEX
    52 INT

I have:
    RH - Chaos Uchi+5 (Fucking love it) & Enchanted Longsword +5
    LH - Crest Shield +5 & Tin Crystal Catalyst
    Crown of Dusk
    Sage Robe +5
    Witch's Gloves
    Crimson skirt thing +5
    Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring
    Ring of Steel Protection

Spells:
    Crystal Homing Soul mass x 2
    Crystal Soul Spear
    Homing Soul Mass
    Soul Spear

Been doing some Red and Blue invading tonight (red until I run out of cracked orbs anyway) and although I think my setup is good I'm quite shit. Won 1 out of 6 matches. First one was against a mini S&O armour set Sunbros duo. Did some major damage but they nailed me pretty quick still. Second was against a single thief in Dark AL. I took half his health off with one R1 Uchi hit but then he promptly OHK back stabbed me. Then I fought a single guy, I think he must have been NG+. My magic did feck all so did my chaos sword. He killed me. Then I attacked three guys one had some dark magic and the other guy was havelled up, couldn't see what the third had as I didn't last long enough. Result: my death.

Finally, took on two guys, one in Iron Tarkus set and another in onion man set. Killed onion man with my crystal homing and sliced the other guy with my sword.

So... Erm, having seen what I've got can anyone help me with some advice? Do I just need to practice or can I make gear improvements anywhere? I've got other spells like crystal weapon, dragon breath, great magic shield and stuff. Do I need to use them?

Edited by BillCityfingers at 23:24:36 18-07-2013
  • Dr_Mech 19 Jul 2013 04:04:50 1,067 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Unfortunately the hardest hitters for magic are from the DLC (the Abyss spells) and since ye don't have it then you'll have to stick with the spell loadout you have.

Going above 45 Int was a waste as the point investment per actual damage increase drops off massively at 40 and again at 45, you could have invested 3 more points in Vit and End each.

I'd swap out the Ring of Steel Protection for the Wolf Ring personally, the stuff you're wearing gives you no poise and poise is important in PvP. 40 Poise might allow you to shrug off a hit from one of the lighter weapons just long enough to cast a spell in their face.

I'd personally replace the enchanted weapon (which is great for PvE but not so much for PvP) with a Chaos Shotel +4 (since you can't get a second red slab unless you want to spend untold hours farming for it without the DLC), since the strong attacks ignore shields, great for peeling about people who turtle behind shields with spears.

Considering I'm not massively into PvP, take this advice with a grain of salt.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 04:06:57 19-07-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Jul 2013 05:31:26 2,390 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So... Erm, having seen what I've got can anyone help me with some advice? Do I just need to practice or can I make gear improvements anywhere? I've got other spells like crystal weapon, dragon breath, great magic shield and stuff. Do I need to use them?
    Dr.Mech already gave you solid advice.

It's depending on your style.

There are different styles of PvP.

You want to be a mage and so I'd say, your biggest weaknesses are two things. Your health and your dexterity. (You can't aquire the dark magic from the DLC anyway)

52 intelligence is a bit too much - 50 tops, after that there is no use for it.
    Dexterity up to 45 improves your casting speed.
    40 vitality is a good standard for PvP - you need to be able to survive one, better two backstabs or dark magic attacks.

You could use power within to up your damage - people will respect your one-shot ability.

I'd focus on getting up your SL, invest in health.
    I'd also focus on specific tactics, like, what's a good distance between you and your enemy to shoot your soul spear.

Here's a tutorial on backstabs for PvP
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 08:47:22
    @BillCityfingers
    -What catalyst are you using to cast with? Crystal catalyst is the best given your stats imo
    -Invest in the chameleon spell and use it both offensively and as a surprise attack (your opponent can't lock onto you in chameleon form even if you're right in from of them - very helpful at times)
    -definitely use the Wolf Ring instead of Steel Protection as Dr_M said
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 09:10:14
    @Dr_Mech The shotel... That's what Lautrec uses to cut through your shield isn't it? ok. I didn't pick that up this time round but I know where it is, likewise Powerwithin. I'll nab them both then farm for titanite for a bit. I'll gather souls while I do that and get those stats up.

Cheers guys some great advice there as always. To be honest I have no idea why I went above 50 INT and a bit annoyed I wasted those levels but hey ho!

I have the Wolf Ring. I hadn't even given poise any thought but I should have done! I'll wear that and the Dragoncrest.

So I'll stick with the Chaos Uchi and pack the chaos Shotel as my secondary. Shield and catalyst in my other hand and I'll open up my attack with a homing crystal soul mass and a couple of crystal soul spears before I get close then I'll melee.

@Dangerous_Dan Does DEX make all that difference to casting speed? I read somewhere that it doesn't make a huge difference until near that 45 mark. In which case that's a lot of souls to get there, is it worth it?

I'll check out that backstab tutorial, seems to be my main undoing...

@Ironlungs76 Yeah I'm using the Crystal. I picked up a few other catalysts recently (including demon catalyst) any advantages of them? Or am I best sticking to my crystal (for PvP) and logan's (for PVE)?

Edited by BillCityfingers at 09:14:10 19-07-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Jul 2013 12:06:01 2,390 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BillCityfingers
    Nope, dexterity improves casting speed step by step, in a linear fashion. You may look up 'dark souls casting speed' on youtube.
    Is it worth it? - It will increase your chances of victory significantly in PvP but vitality is definitely more important, especially in the early phase of PvP learning.

More vitality = more time to learn during each encounter = less frustration.

Here's the backstab counter/defense video from the same guy
  • Architect_z 19 Jul 2013 13:14:55 2,469 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BillCityfingers - PvP is easy when you know how, best thing to do is to get a bunch of weapons (5 or 6) that you like. Do a couple of invasions using each one, and see which ones are effective.
    If you have magic abilities, find out which spells/miracles/pyro works best.
    IMPORTANT! - Study how you lose, if say you got killed by 1 soul spear, you'll realise that maybe more magic armour or a shield with more magic defence maybe required.
    Learn how to run and backstab, theres tutorials for this online, but you'll eventually find out how. (When I was learning, I used to run for a backstab, and end up getting backstabbed myself.) You'll get it.

If you need any help using particular weapons, I can give you some tips. I've used pretty much all of them in PvP. ^_^
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 13:54:31
    @BillCityfingers how many hours in total now?
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 14:49:05
    @Choppi You don't want to know... I need help.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 14:54:02
    @Dangerous_Dan Found some good vids comparing casting speed. Yeah, so def makes a difference, subtle but it will count in PvP!!! I'll plum loads into Dex once I've upped my VIT a bit more.

@Architect_z Well... Think I'm going to try a couple of Chaos weapons. My +5 Uchi and what Dr_Mech recommended, the Shotel as quite like the thought of getting round a shield. I'm going to chaos that and I think I've found a way of getting another red titanite slab.

(After I take a few days off :p)
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 14:56:58
    @Goodfella Ha ha... God. I've just seen the next twelve months unfurl before me... Well, less. I'm dreading when DS2 is out. I'll need to hide myself away with nothing but a TV and an xbox like a crazy ginger hermit.
  • quadfather 19 Jul 2013 15:00:08 17,326 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Christ, I'm approaching 500 hours and I don't even pvp!
  • quadfather 19 Jul 2013 15:00:46 17,326 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Though I bet 250 of those hours were spent looking for a cunting balder side sword
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 15:04:39
    My 360 controller actually ran out of charge the other day I was playing it so long. Is there a DS rehab?

@quadfather I think your copy is bugged...
  • quadfather 19 Jul 2013 15:05:51 17,326 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I think it's fair to say it's not good for your social life.
    It'd be more if I didn't go out at much!

@Bill - I'm going to make a character soon and just stay in the parish and see if I can get one quickly. MUST be time by now, surely
  • Deleted user 19 July 2013 15:11:34
    @quadfather Perhaps a little prayer before beginning?

Oh FromSoftware
    For Dark Souls much I do care
    Please deliver to me one BSS
    You shall then save me much distress

Or something.
  • quadfather 19 Jul 2013 15:25:23 17,326 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :-D
  • Dr_Mech 21 Jul 2013 01:37:19 1,067 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So Mr Billy, how are things going in PvP land, did my advice help you in anyway?
  • Gruff 21 Jul 2013 02:09:18 3,073 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just, FINALLY, getting into this, (having owned it for best part of year) thanks to Zemalf on the YOOtubes.

If only Eurogamer had created an 836 page thread or something.

Thanks for nothing EG collective!
  • Mola_Ram 21 Jul 2013 02:22:06 10,606 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really don't like the backstabbing in this. It's too powerful, defending against it too fiddly, and I don't like that it almost seems to be mandatory. It's fine as an option for fast characters, but I also want battles with slow, lumbering characters, huge weapons glancing off shields, rather than everyone rolling and circling around like a madman. I think Chivalry does it really well.

Maybe I'm just playing against the wrong pvpers.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 02:37:09 21-07-2013
  • Gruff 21 Jul 2013 02:26:54 3,073 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Two handed works pretty well, UM, thats the only tip I have
  • BTBAM 21 Jul 2013 09:31:00 1,733 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got the zweihander, did a suicide run to get it. Still in the fucking undead burg (not out of choice anymore!) and explored and keep dying to this gigantic knight, I wish I'd done a ranged character but even with my fireballs he steams up to me and BAM! I've lost thousands of souls in that place, and to this ludicrous monster down the stairs in this spiral staircase building. I rage quit but now have steeled myself again for tomorrow's all day session. I know you're supposed to adjust your fighting habits but I'm still too weak to wield the zweihander and I don't know how I can learn the enemies weakness when I look at them for a second and then all of a sudden I'm dead! I can handle all of the other enemies, it's just the bosses. Is this a normal process that you all went through?!
  • Dr_Mech 21 Jul 2013 09:36:56 1,067 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That Black Knight and Sir Havel the Roc are not meant to be fought at that stage of the game. Think of them as minibosses you can come back later to challenge. For now I'd say pass them by and continue along the other route (up the stairs).

For you next boss a hint, you learned this move in the tutorial, use it here as well.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 09:38:10 21-07-2013
  • Mola_Ram 21 Jul 2013 09:37:18 10,606 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The guy at the bottom of the staircase is exceptionally difficult. Best not even try at the beginning of the game.

There aren't that many difficult monsters that you *have* to fight at that stage. And what bosses are you talking about?
  • BTBAM 21 Jul 2013 10:41:53 1,733 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't remember the name of the place but I couldn't even attempt this massive dragon sitting on the cliff side (underground area where the blacksmith is) and also the skeleton bastard, he's huge and I managed to nearly kill him with firebombs but I ran out and he battered me.

It's good to know I shouldn't be attempting the black knight and that massive bastard otherwise I would have felt very helpless, thanks!
  • Widge Moderator 21 Jul 2013 14:01:59 13,830 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Havel down the spiral staircase? I had to cheese him later in the game, and significantly later in the game. Spoiler I took him out from the other direction, entering his room from the Darkroot forest side, poisoning him with daggers and just waiting him out to die.

Plus Black Knight? Yeah, I had to return to him at a later date too.

If Demon's Souls taught me one thing, its that not everyone in one area is there to be killed from the off. I'll just say "Red Eyes Knight" and leave that there.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 16:02:16
    @Dr_Mech not been back to it yet! Having a dark souls holiday for a couple of days. Planning on a sesh tonight so I shall let you know!!!
  • Architect_z 22 Jul 2013 09:40:43 2,469 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BillCityfingers - Shotel is always good to have as a backup weapon incase you have a shield whore. Just use R2 attack to hit him while his shields up.
    Depending on your build, Claymore is pretty good for PvP, good moveset and if someones shield whoring, just 2hand and spam attack until it breaks their block.
    I'm good with rapiers, they can be very powerful with the leo ring and a buff.
    But best thing to do is play around with some weapons and see whats sucessful. ^_^
  • Page

of 1257 First / Last