Dark Souls Page 834

• Page

of 1199 First / Last

• Deleted user 17 July 2013 19:24:45
    God I think I spent about ten hours there.
  • BTBAM 17 Jul 2013 19:32:55 1,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I'm still only at the undead burg!!
    Most people will spend up to 5 hours there.
    Which class did you select? The Knight?
    I went for pyromancer... Good choice?

I'm glad other people did this, I am still here and I don't know if I will ever leave! It's so fucking satisfying I would have been happy to pay 16 quid for just this scene! Kill, slash, hack, random reward of armour/sword, bonfire, not enough souls, repeat, yes I am now 17 on strength! Repeat x 1000000

It's brilliant.
  • BTBAM 17 Jul 2013 19:33:56 1,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    romelpotter wrote:
    @BTBAM Wait until the Pain and Anguish of loosing 500,000 souls.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

/kicks cat

(joke, ......it was the puppy)

ahh I joke again!! :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" />
    I can't bear the thought of that :(

Never has a game hooked me in so quickly and so deep.
  • BTBAM 17 Jul 2013 19:35:19 1,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wtf I just got 'invaded'. If I turn off Xbox live will that get rid of it?
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 19:38:07
    Invaded? Yeah it does but don't it's half the fun.

Plus I want to invade you

Edited by BillCityfingers at 19:38:42 17-07-2013
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 19:45:20
    @Dangerous_Dan

So. Yes. You were right. And I'm a tool. Was standing in one of the no invadey areas. It works now!

Right. Time to kill people.
  • Dr_Mech 17 Jul 2013 20:15:21 1,019 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    Ordered this yesterday and it's in my post box as I get home from work! Do I start now or wait until summer holidays next week? I'm very much a casual gamer who loves easy RPGs and turns the difficulty down to easy on almost every game I play. Fancied a challenge. Can I start a game for a few hours or will I regret it and find it hard to get back into after?
    Welcome to Dark Souls, your life is now forfeit. Forget your past, put aside the notion of easy games, embrace hard work, grit, determination and learning through death (in a fair way, not in a cheap way).

Be thee not afraid to ask for help from fellow travellers for you sit amongst those that have trod your path before. Consider it not shameful to look things up on wikis or glance at the occasional video.

Welcome fellow traveller, stay a while and share tales of sorrow and glory.

On a less dramatic note, if you're going for strength, find the location of the Zweihander (it may require a suicide run to get it), get to 24 strength then cherise that sword like it was a loved one.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 20:16:23 17-07-2013
  • waggy79 17 Jul 2013 20:21:35 945 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bought on steam but 360 pad not working for me. Anyone had this and fixed it?
  • BTBAM 17 Jul 2013 21:10:40 1,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Invaded? Yeah it does but don't it's half the fun.

Plus I want to invade you

Edited by BillCityfingers at 19:38:42 17-07-2013
    What's the benefit for the invader?

Still at the undead burg, girlfriend is home now so have had to turn it off as apparently she's had a hard day.

I know I am going to be thinking about this all day tomorrow...
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 21:16:12
    @BTBAM Humanity, souls and the warm cuddly knowledge that you've just kicked arse! Also, the only way to level with PvP covenants to get miracles, weapons etc (I'm sure someone will be able to supply a more detailed and better answer than me!)

I must admit I've been doing a fair bit of invading recently (why does that sound a bit dodgy?) and am rather enjoying myself. Unbeaten so far but I know my luck will only hold so long.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 21:17:03 17-07-2013
  • waggy79 17 Jul 2013 21:30:49 945 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella

Yeah the pad works on all my other games but only the guide button works on this to bring up the dash. I read up on it and it seems it may be conflicting with other devices but don't really know how to fix it.
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Jul 2013 21:39:38 2,380 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good choice.

If you upgrade all the strength then I take it that you prefer slow but heavy hitting weapons, because if you were to prefer fast weapons then you should focus on dexterity.
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Jul 2013 21:40:42 2,380 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:

Right. Time to kill people.
    That's the right attitude!
  • BTBAM 17 Jul 2013 22:05:15 1,560 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Good choice.

If you upgrade all the strength then I take it that you prefer slow but heavy hitting weapons, because if you were to prefer fast weapons then you should focus on dexterity.
    Shit, I much prefer fast weapons! Can you re-spec yourself at any point? Either that or a few more hours in the undead burg...
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 22:51:02
    I like being a blue invader. I feel like the police. You kill an npc or treat a covenant badly and I appear to annihilate you. Politely annihilate you.

Is it cheap to invade in sens? It's quite good fun.
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 23:00:03
    Ha ha brilliant. Just got destroyed. More! More!

Edit: Well. A mixed bag of results in the end. I need to learn to practice against quick movers. A tie in the end, I won as many as I lost.

Probably only won against the people that aren't very good to be honest...

Edited by BillCityfingers at 23:58:24 17-07-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jul 2013 05:29:34 2,380 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shit, I much prefer fast weapons! Can you re-spec yourself at any point? Either that or a few more hours in the undead burg...
    17 strength is still alright, I'd recommend 16 strength to a new player - fast weapons or no, because then he can wear some of the heavier shields and experiment with some of the medium weapons.

It's about finding a weapon where you like the moveset. Some are simple, others are more complex with good two-handed attacks, follow ups and so on.

You are probably using the shield to block an attack and hit back when the enemy is open for yours. That phase of your swordsman career.

Just know, there are other techniques as well, like stun-locking.
    Take your weapon in both hands, preferably a heavy hitter like an axe but even a longsword can do, depending on the enemy....

And wack away at them. Their shield guard will eventually break and you keep on hitting them while they are stunned by your attacks.

Last hint for now - open your inventory screen and look at the properties of your weapons, there are different kinds of damage and so on. It can also be useful to read the short item description.
    Anyway, in the lower left there are 4 symbols and usually at least one of them has a ranking.

The symbols are

Muscles = Strength
    Hand = Dexterity
    Candle = Intelligence
    Star = Faith

The rankings are

- = no scaling
    E = only little scaling
    D
    C
    B
    A
    S = Super scaling

A dagger for example starts with a B rating in dexterity and after normal upgrades ends up with an A rating.

A club has a B rating in strength, usually, and ends up with an A rating in that.

A sword has 2 C ratings (str n dex) and stays like that after finishing the normal upgrade path.

It's getting too much now.
    So - I'd just recommend improving your dexterity in the long run (don't focus on it too much for now) get some health and endurance too!

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 05:32:36 18-07-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jul 2013 05:37:31 2,380 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh and no re-specin'. Be careful in this game - not only the melee itself.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 08:34:59 18-07-2013
  • Dr_Mech 18 Jul 2013 05:44:22 1,019 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yup once you've made ye choices you're stuck with them but 17 strength isn't a massive investment thankfully.

Hmm normally first run I'd recommend a strength build but the game is all about what you feel comfortable with, I would recommend getting vitality and endurance to at least 20 but there is no big rush for it.

One of the key things you need to get though is a shield with 100% physical block (since you don't start with one as a Pyromancer), you can buy one off the undead merchant in Undead Burg for relatively cheap or if you get lucky one of the hollows will drop the hollow soldiers shield which is decent.

Play the game patiently, shield up, block attacks and strike when the enemy is open. You're just starting out and more advanced techniques are something you'll pick up later (I didn't learn parrying until I was on my like...7th character, who due to a challenge run, didn't have a shield and so I had to parry)

Edited by Dr_Mech at 05:48:16 18-07-2013
  • fiery_jackass 18 Jul 2013 07:00:37 470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    I like being a blue invader. I feel like the police.
    Good comparison. Blue phantoms typically invade downwards i.e. they pick on those weaker than themselves. Plus DMB ensures they arrive tooled up with overpowered gear.

Red phantoms are braver and also more handsome and successful in real life
  • Deleted user 18 July 2013 08:00:53
    @fiery_jackass ha ha. That'll be about right then. A blue invader is more suited to me!

In all fairness I DID use all my cracked red orbs up before I joined gwyndolin's lot. I buggered this playthrough for joining the darkwraiths.

Still not a cakewalk though as I have quickly realised. Seems quite a few lower levels have it all sussed out.
  • Architect_z 18 Jul 2013 08:09:58 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I made the same mistake, I wanted to join the Darkwraiths, but got too far and have banished myself from the covenant as I have placed the lordvessel.

Saying that, I also like being a blue invader, however I tend to put a red soap stone down in the undead burg now, i get invasions way more frequently than using blue orbs, also the people who summon me tend to be tougher and more used to PvP.

-By the way, something happened the other day to me. I had 3.5 million souls and 40 humanity before logging off the other night.
    I reloaded my game the next day, had 39 humanity, still had my human form, and all my souls had gone, literally, had 0 souls.

Can anyone explain how that could have possibly happened? Or have I been victim to a glitch of some sort.

Edited by Architect_z at 08:12:25 18-07-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jul 2013 08:21:44 2,380 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Red phantoms are braver and also more handsome and successful in real life
    Listen to this man.
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jul 2013 08:38:05 2,380 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can anyone explain how that could have possibly happened? Or have I been victim to a glitch of some sort.
    Somebody has been messing with your character! Or you have been sleep-playing.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2013 08:46:53
    Forgot to pick up the red soapstone. I'll nip back to The Painted World and grab it.

Really enjoying PvP. Makes you think completely differently. I already realise a few changes I need to make to my caster as I'm becoming more aware of my weaknesses.

I wear the Darkmoon ring as well mind so the summons I get through that to Dark AL, it seems to be the hardcore PvP's waiting for me. Who promptly OHK me.

Anyone recommend me a good fire melee weapon to have as backup? Something that needs relatively low dex as I only have 14. Was thinking a fire Uchigatana?
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jul 2013 08:59:49 2,380 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was thinking a fire Uchigatana?
    Sounds good but chaos not fire - this is PvP not PvE.
    You'll have 10 humanity in the tank usually and at that point chaos is the way to go.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Jul 2013 09:02:15 43,811 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Furysword, shirley?

BTBAM, have you picked up the Claymore yet? I'd highly recommend it for a first run through, it teaches you all about timing, it scales nicely with either strength or dex, and makes a beast of an elemental sword when you get that far.

And if you push your strength to 24, like so many you will learn to love the Zwei (and hit things to death with it).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 18 July 2013 09:03:18
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 1199 First / Last