Dark Souls Page 829

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• ProfessorLesser 12 Jul 2013 11:50:25 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HairyArse there's a big difficulty hike, don't let it put you off!
  • Deleted user 12 July 2013 11:53:00
    I got past all the giant Knights but couldn't traverse the big orange light yet. Killed the mini dragon thing and ended up in some building where I was in the rafters. Fell to my death jumping onto a chandelier to collect something, when it fell to the floor.
  • ProfessorLesser 12 Jul 2013 11:57:40 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Try attacking :) yeah the cathedral rafters were a serious sweaty palms moment! The greatest frustration is yet to come though I'm afraid.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Jul 2013 12:07:54 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can't survive that fall Hairy, so you're better off wandering the rafters looking for another way down. And the enemies are certainly different - especially for a strength build you need to adapt your playstyle (hit things down and then keep hitting them until they are dead) to a more dex-style whittling down of health for everyone but the knights and harpies (are they harpies?).

Longer reach weapons with a precise hitbox are in particular useful against the giants, as their shields are inpenetrable even when they are recovering after a swing.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ProfessorLesser 12 Jul 2013 19:00:22 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems the ancient dragon would be quite easy to fireball to death from that ledge!
  • Deleted user 12 July 2013 19:32:14
    So Sif the Grey was Piss easy at level 61.

Experimenting with a crystal halberd now which has great range but is brittle as hell.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Jul 2013 22:05:08 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit of a cross-connection tonight.

Placed my summon sign in the interior AL bonfire room, someone summoned me, all's well. Until I noticed that the text said "entering world as a spirit of vengeance". I then appeared in their game, typical sunbro style, but as a black phantom !

I'm still not sure who was more surprised, and there wasn't much time for explanation or experimentation as panic took hold and the host unleashed everything at me. :(

So that's a 'white/sun' sign used, leading to a 'black' invasion, while showing me the 'blue' text. Errrr..... O_o
  • Deleted user 13 July 2013 07:36:39
    So last night a half hour burst turned into five sodding hours as I got stuck in to a sorcerer playthrough. Absolutely loving it. I headed to blighttown and got myself a load of green titanite and upgraded my longsword to a +5 magic longsword. That farming earned me a shit load of souls so I did a bit more, spoke to the vinheim chaps. Long story short by the time I got to the bell gargoyles I had the dragoncrest ring and some seriously strong spells. Four hits per gargoyle! I put my summon sign down and got summoned into about ten games. I just kept nailing them! Both bells rung and Logan released, now I have homing soul mass and a few souls and two levels shy of soul spear. What a few hours! About sl28 now. My next plan is to kill me a hydra and get the dusk crown.

Not even going to bother with the depths or the upper levels of blighttown.

My magic +5 longsword is great, is it worth taking it to an enchanted longsword? What are good melee weapon suggestions?

Edited by BillCityfingers at 07:37:45 13-07-2013
  • ProfessorLesser 13 Jul 2013 10:23:22 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you doing INT? Enchanted is your better bet if so. I use the hand axe because it's awesome, but the Falchion works nicely too. I also have a +5 enchanted great scythe that's quite tasty...
  • Deleted user 13 July 2013 13:30:00
    Yeah using INT. Got an enchanted Longsword +1 now but think I'll need to wait til I'm at Dukes before I can farm more blue titanite.

Just about to buy the damn soul spear from logan but thought I'd go get the rusted ring and crest shield first... Not paying attention and a second black knight I didn't know was there handed me my ass twice because I was sloppy. 15 humanity and 39000 souls gone! Arrgggghh.

Still. That homing souls mass spell is sweet. Sporting Crown of Dusk and my Dragoncrest ring now. Doing a fair whack of damage all round. Nice.

Just need to go and grind for souls now, really want that souls spear spell, may as well go kill some titanite demons in sens...
  • ProfessorLesser 13 Jul 2013 13:35:19 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vanilla soul mass is crap next to the crystal variety, whereas soul spears stay valuable, especially as you can purchase two per playthrough. An arsenal of crystal and regular spears + crystal soulmass in 4 attunement slots is very hard to sniff at! And once you get Logan's catalyst, whoo-ey.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2013 13:40:16
    Bit stuck now.

Level 62. Went back to Undead Asylum but can't kill Stray Demon.

Can't progress through Ando Londo as I can't traverse the orange light. Got stuck in the Cathedral. Walked down some stairs to an empty corridor and the only way is back up or a fall to my doom.

Can't progress through Catacombs or the Fiery Depths. How do I lower the water in London Ruins?
  • Deleted user 13 July 2013 13:59:11
    @Goodfella Just looking at that guys videos now, very good! That's funny I actually spotted that dog for the first time last night.. Thought it was a random glitch!
  • dominalien 13 Jul 2013 14:00:48 6,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Bit stuck now.

Level 62. Went back to Undead Asylum but can't kill Stray Demon.

Can't progress through Ando Londo as I can't traverse the orange light. Got stuck in the Cathedral. Walked down some stairs to an empty corridor and the only way is back up or a fall to my doom.

Can't progress through Catacombs or the Fiery Depths. How do I lower the water in London Ruins?
    You probably don't need more levels, only to adapt your tactics.

In the Ruins, you just have to perseve in the face of seemigly unsurmountable odds. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• ProfessorLesser 13 Jul 2013 14:08:50 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your level's fine HA, maybe have a look at the gear you're using for some situations. Stray Demon is a tosser, don't take it personally. How's your fire resistance?

Sure you're stuck in AL? There's definitely a safe way down to the cathedral floor.

Sack off the catacombs and demon ruins for now. Unless you have a good divine weapon, in which case no harm exploring down there. Fog ring can help!
  • PenguinJim 13 Jul 2013 17:02:38 5,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    @Goodfella Just looking at that guys videos now, very good! That's funny I actually spotted that dog for the first time last night.. Thought it was a random glitch!
    That's crazy... I spotted him for the first time a few hours ago. ~6th playthrough, ~100th time there! :eek: I nearly missed my stop because I was looking at him.

That 10-humanity-per-area thing is... confirmed? I thought I'd read that humanity dropped randomly and rarely in areas until you defeated the next "story" boss (gargoyles for the burg and parish, and so on).

Can't believe I've got stuck back into this again. My Faith Tank is progressing well, now. I thought I'd use a bastard sword pre-zweihander, as I loved using one way back on my first 360 character, but really couldn't get into the swing of it this time (ho ho). Tried a halberd and absolutely loved it - and I'm still using it, enchanted, despite beating the str requirement of the zweihander! Zwei is fun, though - I'll get him to +15 eventually, and he'll be my resiny main.

Also thought it would be funny to make my sever divine. :D Haven't used it yet, though. Sen's Fortress awaits!
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 Jul 2013 22:38:22 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fired through the Archives and Caves with a little help, tore through ToTG and knackered Nito solo* again, and opened up the Kiln for farming. Time to finish up the Karthe ending, but after I upload my save as it is, to return to AL on Monday, with my collection of Black Knight goodies and forty red orbs......./evil chuckle

And all at half the SL of my initial run (55 vs 110). I'm delighted !

*walking backwards in circles with a Lightning Avelyn+5 is tedious, but really easy !

Ed: Gah ! Despite having all 18 Pyro spells after getting Acid Surge, the Bond of... trophy hasn't unlocked. Annoying.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 00:34:38 14-07-2013
  • Deleted user 14 July 2013 00:55:29
    That's my sorcerer reached the dog gates for cannon and ball in 12 hours. Not bad for me. That was doing a fair bit of jolly cooperation mind you with the iron golem, gargoyles and gash dragon so prob would have made it in ten or so hours.

Level 48, 48 int with a plus one enchanted longsword and five attunement slots giving me soul mass, soul spear and the heavy and heavy great soul things.

So. Best way for a magic man like me to tackle phatts and small?

I also still have my zwei beast in the same place... If only there were two of me.....

God I'm playing this game far too much.
  • PenguinJim 14 Jul 2013 04:06:03 5,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I annihilated them surprisingly easily with magic a couple of months ago. Save your soul spears for number two, but otherwise just blat them. :)
  • Deleted user 14 July 2013 13:26:19
    Yeah, I always postpone fighting them when I should probably just suck it up and get stuck in. Tempted to do some coop first to see how they take to my sword...
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 Jul 2013 14:55:58 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished. Pyro trophy popped too when I loaded up today, very strange.

Need a break now, must avoid downloading cloud save nnnngggghhh......
  • Dr_Mech 14 Jul 2013 15:20:35 998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alright have you beaten the Hydra in Darkroot Basin yet?

Here is how to be 'omfgwtf overpowered' as a spellcaster.

Defeat the Hydra, free Dusk, go summon here, go back to where she was freed and grab her gear, put on the Crown of Dusk (+20% magic damage but recieve +30% magic damage yourself), you've already got the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring so that part is sorted (+20% magic damage). Next grab Power Within from Blighttown (+40% all damage). Make sure to pick up Soul Spear and Homing Soul Mass from Logan in firelink and pick up the Crystal version of Soul Spear and Homing Soul mass after beating O&S.

Now thou art able to smoosh bosses pretty freaking fast. The combination of +80% magic damage (yes the effects stack, they aren't acculmative) and high Int = Bosses dead in record time.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2013 18:11:57
    @Dr_Mech I'm with you with everything apart from power within. Seemed to have missed that!!!! Damn. Another trip to stinkytown!!!
  • Dr_Mech 15 Jul 2013 00:41:54 998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Be warned though, there comes a specific area where being inherently magic based will screw you over. A certain white Dragon is considered 'the master of Sorcery' and thus has a ridiculously high resistance to spells.

So carry a backup elemental weapon for such a situation.

Also the DLC bosses have decent resistance to magic. If you haven't got the DLC yet...what are you doing reading this post, go buy it!

The DLC is some of the most challenging and thus rewarding content in Dark Souls along with some of the most epic (namely for the optional bossfight, screw MMOs, that is how fighting a Dragon should be done). The bosses are incredibly aggressive but also telegraph their attacks.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 00:46:56 15-07-2013
  • Deleted user 15 July 2013 01:19:34
    Shit. I'm doing the archives as well...

I know the only trouble is if I buy it it'll be more time in dark souls world!!!
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jul 2013 09:18:24 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I swear this game is mocking me.

So, my NG+ playthrough save corrupted just before Morecambe and Wise, I blame myself for ragequitting after one too many smackdowns from the silver giants. No biggy, I'd been meaning to do a dex run through to see what it was like.

However the game immediately pushes me towards another strength runthrough with its generosity. The Taurus Demon dropped an axe, which never happens. The Black Knight up the tower in the Undead Parish dropped his Greatsword, which doubly never happens. (As an aside, my VERY FIRST Balder knight gave me a BSS, although I'm going to assume that's just the game mocking quadfather and nothing to do with me). Plus I'm not liking the dex stuff, bleed damage feels like a leap of faith without the meter filling up for you to see, and I never realised how much I'd relied on staggering enemies with my strength builds. So, in conclusion, I'm going to have to compromise. I've rediscovered the glorious Claymore, and am going to stab everyone to death from here on in.

• LeoliansBro 15 Jul 2013 09:23:57 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and it's my first female character. Her cries of pain when she is hit are extremely annoying.

• Page

of 1193 First / Last