Dark Souls Page 823

• Page

of 1219 First / Last

• SlackMaster 3 Jul 2013 11:06:21 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have the devine ember however other than making your weapon more effective against undead it weakens its damage. Any idea where I can get a magic ember?
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 11:11:16 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It outputs more damage as a divine weapon.

A longsword +5 does 120 damage plus C scaling with strength and dex. A divine longsword does 81 physical damage and 99 magic damage plus D scaling for strength and dex. My point is it may be beneficial for you to trade in the scaling advantage for more base damage as you are a mage and therefore probably have chod str and dex stats.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 11:19:33 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually magic might be the right way to go fullstop. You don't need an ember, go and talk to Rickert under FLS.

• SlackMaster 3 Jul 2013 11:22:07 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LeoliansBro TBH I'm still getting my head around the stats and the scalling. All I could see was the drop in damage but didn't consider anything else. My Magic/castings is in the 30's and I have about 6 attunement slots but my other stats have suffered as a result.

I still managed to defeat the Hydra though, but if I'm forced into direct combat with a stronger enemy I usually get hit-back when using my shield. Avoiding helps but as sen fortress has small rooms I often get trapped in a corner and killed.
  • SlackMaster 3 Jul 2013 11:27:48 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Oh right, I didn't reaslise he could alter your weapons without an ember. Will pop the game in tonight and check it out.

After the second bell I defeated the hydra, then found dark root forest and the undead asylum too difficult (the fire attack of that demon wastes me in one hit), so decided on the sen's fortress route.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 11:29:16 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, that's ... that's a lot of attunement. I'm not familiar with a magic build but ...wow ;)

Intelligence has to be your primary stat, yes? This means your most powerful attacks come from spells which scale with magic. There's a talisman you can get later which will make miracles scale with intelligence as well, so you never need to put a point in faith. With the longsword go hit a mushroom in Darkroot Garden and he'll lead you to a lake with an enchanted chest in it. Enchanted weapons scale with intelligence, the Longsword +5 is A scaled. Take this ember to Rickert and he'll sort you out, but you should be using a magic weapon in the meantime in any case as you want to get base damage up and aren't fussed about scaling.

A katana might be a nice option, given the bleeding it can cause which you'll definitely land attacking the snakemen. It's settled then - go kill the male undead merchant in the undead Parish :)

• Architect_z 3 Jul 2013 12:23:35 2,438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hate Velkas Talisman, It means my faith build was kind of a stupid decision.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 12:27:00 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Faith builds are geat for flexibilty later - there are very few weapons in the game that you can't turn to your use by making them divine or occult and enjoying the B or A scaling.

• Mr_Sleep 3 Jul 2013 12:44:01 17,389 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Wow, that's ... that's a lot of attunement. I'm not familiar with a magic build but ...wow ;)
    Yeah, that is a lot of attunement, I think I was around four slots and very rarely felt that was too little.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 12:49:32
    So I ran screaming into Blighttown last night waving my big sword around. Not too bad although I would like to get some blooming purple moss before I get down to the bottom, so wanted to root around Darkroot. Any tips for getting past the titanite demon as a melee? My other char nailed them all with a bow... Don't REALLY fancy getting close but wouldn't mind wading in with my big sword. I've got decent poise for this stage in the game so should I just toe to toe it?
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 13:01:15 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stand in the demon's left (to the right as you look at it) armpit and go to town on attacking. His swings can't hit you and you're too close for lightning. If he limbers up to grab you with the Catch Pole roll to the right. If he jumps in the air roll backwards.

• SlackMaster 3 Jul 2013 13:05:52 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep I needed more slots for the different types of soul arrows as I was doing a lot of ranged combat and found as enemies got tougher I needed more and more.
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Jul 2013 13:10:27 17,389 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep I needed more slots for the different types of soul arrows as I was doing a lot of ranged combat and found as enemies got tougher I needed more and more.
    Fair enough, I never found the arrows to be all that effective past a certain point and four slots seemed enough for everything i needed.

• SlackMaster 3 Jul 2013 13:25:20 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep What kind of spells do you use? I found that as I have put most of my points into int my soul arrows and variants of this do more damage but still take a few to take down harder enemies.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 13:51:23
    @LeoliansBro sweet. I'll give it a shot.
  • quadfather 3 Jul 2013 13:56:16 13,414 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SlackMaster - What you might find useful is making an enchanted balder side sword. If you can get it to enchanted +5, it'll do around 300 damage (half physical, and half magical) and it'll also scale A with your Intelligence. It'll be pretty fearsome

or just take it to normal +15 and then cast crystal magic weapon spell on it, as you've got a shed full of attunement space. Can't remember the exact damage a +15 + cmw spell does, but it'll be a fair bit.

This will help when you're in a tight spot and have to melee

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mr_Sleep 3 Jul 2013 14:10:34 17,389 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep What kind of spells do you use? I found that as I have put most of my points into int my soul arrows and variants of this do more damage but still take a few to take down harder enemies.
    I did use the soul arrows but I never really needed more than four slots, so I'd have a soul arrow, homing soulmass, great weapon and a soul spear or the shield spell to help with poise etc. I'd say you can afford to ignore upgrading atunement slots from now on at least until NG+.

Regarding weapons, I enchanted the claymore and that was frigging awesome for all of my first play-through with the character. Oh and as for doing enough ranged damage, where abouts are you in the game?

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 14:13:18 03-07-2013

• Architect_z 3 Jul 2013 15:40:43 2,438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I kinda wish there were a few weapons that scaled 'S' with occult modifier.
    Plus I miss the weapons that required you to have a certain amount of faith to use them in the first place.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Jul 2013 15:47:15 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's part of the fluff though isn't it A_z.

You have normal, bluff, hearty types, up for hitting things until they are dead, preferably with a Zweihander but you can be all stabby with a knife if you want as well. +15 and none of the faff.

You have those who choose to make it all about the weapon, and although they can't use it as well as they previously could the weapon is now fricking awesome. These are the fire / lightning builds.

You have people who do a bit of research and realise they can come at this from another angle. The bible bashers can have divine weapons and the bookworms can have magic weapons. Their belief / knowledge makes the weapon stronger than it ever could be through their martial prowess alone.

And then you have the people who've done altogether too much research and are all about creating the best divine / magic weapon they can, sacrificing their own integrity as they go way too far and end up corrupted by what they created. These are the occult and enchanted weapons.

Raw weapons are a quick fix. And chaos weapons are the oddity, as they should be.

• SlackMaster 4 Jul 2013 09:16:29 3,134 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

Intelligence has to be your primary stat, yes? This means your most powerful attacks come from spells which scale with magic. There's a talisman you can get later which will make miracles scale with intelligence as well, so you never need to put a point in faith. With the longsword go hit a mushroom in Darkroot Garden and he'll lead you to a lake with an enchanted chest in it. Enchanted weapons scale with intelligence, the Longsword +5 is A scaled. Take this ember to Rickert and he'll sort you out, but you should be using a magic weapon in the meantime in any case as you want to get base damage up and aren't fussed about scaling.

A katana might be a nice option, given the bleeding it can cause which you'll definitely land attacking the snakemen. It's settled then - go kill the male undead merchant in the undead Parish :)
    Thanks for the advice. I upgraded my Longsword and Green Shield with Rickert last night but ran out of green tranite so will have to farm for some tonight. I also picked up the enchanted ember from the dark root forest last night.

I had issues with the giant cat things as they are really fast and poweful so had to use invisibility to bypass them to get the the chest with the ember.

I've heard that killing the merchant in the undead parish isn't a good idea as he sells some things you can't get anywhere else.
  • Architect_z 4 Jul 2013 09:53:08 2,438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I've heard that killing the merchant in the undead parish isn't a good idea as he sells some things you can't get anywhere else.
    There are a few things that he sells that you can't get anywhere, but nothing you'll miss too badly. If you have the DLC or Prepare to Die edition of the game, you can find them from another merchant.

You won't be missing anything of great importance, maybe if you start PvPing you might want the Lloyds Talismans, maybe repair powder.
    I can't remember if you can get repair powder anywhere else.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jul 2013 10:06:48 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the only thing he sells uniquely is Lloyd's Talismans. Which I've used precisely zero times.

• jacket882 4 Jul 2013 10:24:44 4 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Guys,

I really am trying to like this game and so far I have. However I got stuck on the Tauren Boss and I gave up a week ago. I'd like to pick it up again. Please help!

I am usually OK at games, I like playing competitively etc so I'm pretty frustrated at the moment. I'm currently a knight and am trying the tactic where I climb up and fall onto the tauren to kill him but somehow I miss a couple of times and he just kills me in 2 hits.

Any tips? :(
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jul 2013 10:31:25 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Taurus wind up is very slow. He will either crouch (about to leap forward), heft his axe in the air (vertical smash, long delay) or heft his axe to one side (sideways slash, slightly less long delay). In any case the moment he stops walking / running he will enter his animation and you should roll backwards to get out of the danger zone.

Best solution is to kite him into repeated diving attacks from that tower. When he appears, run back and up the tower and drop on him two handed with the biggest weapon you have. Whil he's recovering run away from that tower along the bridge. When you're about 3/4 of the way to the next tower turn and face him. When he goes into an attack animation, roll away as above and while he is recovering run past him and back to the tower for another diving attack. Rinse, repeat, one dead Taurus Demon.

Also never lock on, it'll mess up your camera and he's big enough to easily hit anyway.

• Architect_z 4 Jul 2013 10:31:50 2,438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jacket882 - Ok dude, Taurus Demon is a bit of a jerk, so heres a step by step guide.

1) Kill the archers at the top of the turret

2) Walk across the bridge until the Demon shows himself.

3) Run back to the ladder and climb the turret.

4) When hes directly below, fall off the turret and press attack (R1) while falling. This should issue a specific attack.

5) Once attack completed, run to the other side of the bridge, you can run through his legs easily enough, just make sure you're NOT locked onto him.

6) When he charges towards you, I do a double bluff to get around him. (Keep left, when he initiates the attack, suddenly dash right and go around him).

7) Head to the ladder, and repeat steps 3-6. Taurus should die.

Tips; he doesnt like fire or lightning. So pine resin will help or firebombs if you want to try alternative methods.

Good luck.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2013 10:31:58
    The plunge attack tactic is one of the best ones I've found however the first time I fought him I lured him up to the top of the tower, giving more room to dodge his attacks. I then chucked about 20 firebombs at his face.

But yeah, stick with the plunge attack. You'll get him in about three or four hits that way. Just... Well, try not to miss.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 10:32:55 04-07-2013
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jul 2013 10:31:59 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the demon AFTER him you have to worry about :(

• Deleted user 4 July 2013 10:33:13
    And all the ones after that...
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jul 2013 10:34:17 44,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are difficulty spikes (fuck you floaty Firesage BITCH) but Capra is a complete tosspot and a hateful thing to have hidden away in the parish.

• Buztafen 4 Jul 2013 10:36:38 16,532 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always take Rikers approach with bosses...SHIELDS UP RED ALERT!!
  • Page

of 1219 First / Last