Dark Souls Page 821

• Page

of 1210 First / Last

• Deleted user 1 July 2013 18:11:13
    So the zwei then? I get it behind a big skinny bastard at the graveyard don't I? Nailed a few little skinny bastards so far so soon as I feel I can leg it there and back I will.

Tried punching the asylum demon to death first time for his weapon but only took 2 off at a time would have taken all night! Is it actually doable first time??
  • Dr_Mech 1 Jul 2013 18:15:20 1,043 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm in that case perhaps go for the Great Club which you can pick up in Blighttown, decent moveset, good scaling, only requires 4 more strength to use 1 handed than the Zwei, use the Zwei until you've got your Greatclub decently upgraded (I'd +10 them both through farming because why the hell not).

Oh for heavy armour I'd actually suggest the Steel set, doesn't cost you stamina regen like all the other heavy sets and gives really good physical resistances when upgraded.

If you're not too fussed about stamina regen then rock whichever heavy armour set you like the look of, Black Iron, Havel's, Stone Guardian, Smough's. Havel's, Smough's and Stone Guardian don't need upgrading though so you will save on titanite.

Oh and you'll need Havel's ring and the FaP ring equipped too if you want to go full bastard strength.

I'd also recommend +10ing a shield and doing Sif before hitting Anor Londo to get yourself the Greatshield of Artorias, most awesome shield eva for a sub-50 strength build.

Yes beating the Asylum demon first time is doable but it takes forever and you can get the item he drops by trading a Sack to Snuggly...so there really isn't much point in doing it.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 18:18:17 01-07-2013
  • matrim83 1 Jul 2013 18:30:59 5,589 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok, so one of my characters is SL 103 and pretty much an invasion character. I wanna get a good buff. So my options are to Either put 10 points into INT and get Crystal magic weapon. Or put 21 points into Faith and get the Sunlight blade + Wrath of the gods. The first option leaves me at SL 115ish. Second one at SL 125ish.

I am guessing there isnt much difference at that high SL. So might as well go for faith right? Sunlight blade is a better buff than Crystal Magic weapon? Plus WOTG will always be handy.

Edited by matrim83 at 18:31:31 01-07-2013

Valar morghulis.

• Dr_Mech 1 Jul 2013 18:49:29 1,043 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah for PvE you'd want CMW purely because it can be cast more than once, meaning it is vastly more useful on boss fights, on four kings where you'd only take out two kings before both Power within and Sunlight Blade wore off while you'd have at least another cast left of CMW at that stage.

But for PvP as Goodfella says, you'll want Sunlight Blade since you want the fight to be over as quickly as possible and people tend to have vastly lower lightning resistances than they do magic resistances (the bane of any caster is coming across a Havel Cosplayer with Great Magic Barrier).
  • Dangerous_Dan 1 Jul 2013 18:54:02 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @matrim83

At 25 intelligence the crystal magic buff does 1.4 times 'magic adjust rating' damage.

At intelligence 25, the best catalyst would be the oolacile one (180 at any intelligence above 12) or Manus (197 at intelligence 25)

So 1.4*197=276 added magic damage to your weapon.

At 30 faith you should use the Canvas talisman (172 at faith 30)

For Sunlight Blade buff it's

1.8*172=310 lightning damage.

Furthermore, Lightning damage is preferable to magic damage because most stuff (PvE and PvP) has a higher magic defense rating than lightning defense.

+WotG, yep

btw. For Darkmoon Blade the multiplicator isn't 1.4 and neither 1.8 but 2.1 or more depending on your covenant level.
  • matrim83 1 Jul 2013 19:00:59 5,589 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool. Faith it is.

Cant do Darkmoon blade because its impossible to invade people in that covenant on the PC. :p

Will stick to Forest hunter or Darkwraith.

Edited by matrim83 at 19:02:26 01-07-2013

Valar morghulis.

• zoranzelenika 1 Jul 2013 19:11:34 30 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Happy as Larry.
    I've fluked my way through Sen's fortress in perhaps my sixth, seventh proper attempt. Got to the bonfire, kindled, restored, summoned the two handed sword guy and beat the Iron George first try. :) Sobering reality came only few minutes later while strolling through Anor Londo. I never snapped a homeward bone so quickly. Level 51 now, I'll go grind Sen's for some titanite.
  • zoranzelenika 1 Jul 2013 19:14:18 30 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh and that moment of seeing over the wall for the first time.
    Amazing - one of my favourite moments in gaming in a long, long time.
  • quadfather 1 Jul 2013 19:18:52 12,868 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    @Dr_Mech I'm sure it's the former. A day off today so had a blast of battlefield and then it was almost like I blacked out. When I came to I had started a new dark souls character which I am about to confront the first boss with after having just obliterated undead burg with my old char in new game plus.

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME!

So... Going for a big hitting strength build now. Any tips?

Hehe you see what its like? :-D

I'll tell you whats happening to you - you've become slightly addicted to a cracking game of this gen.

Fun isn't it.

You may find that when you get to the lordvessal area you might get bored and then roll another char

Or, you might be playing it for the next twenty years, who knows

Still, how many hours have you put in? Then compare that to the 35 odd quid you spent on getting it. Pretty good value for money isn't it

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 1 July 2013 21:09:46
    zoranzelenika wrote:
    Fucking awesome isn't it? Well done on sens.

Yes quaddy, addicted and then some. A tenner I spent. 80 hours for a bloody tenner!

So. Who was going on about loving the zweihander earlier? I totally feel that love! Taurus. Dead. Havel. Dead. Gargoyles. Dead. Capra. Dead. Various black knights. Dead. I've +5'd it. Off to kill a big silly dragon in the depths now. Taken me twenty odd hours less to get here compared to first run. Mental.

Edit: also. I realise my games now fall into two categories.

1. Dark Souls
    2. Not Dark Souls

I find myself mainly playing games in category 1

Edited by BillCityfingers at 21:19:35 01-07-2013
  • Deleted user 1 July 2013 21:15:48
    @BillCityfingers reading your replies makes me laugh. You're like a school boy ranting on about their first girlfriend or something.
  • oldschoolsoviet 1 Jul 2013 22:45:33 5,501 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahhhh. Settled for a spot of AL invading, with Armour of Favour, +5 Lightning Whip, +8 Fire Shotel, and my maxed Pyro, a similar setup to the ol' Demon Souls days. Shield, pffff.

It's amazing how quickly folk panic when they see tiny amounts of health being chipped away, and I was lucky with a few whip crits, stunning them before the barbecue finisher, along with a few parries.

Considering the amounts of maxed and almost maxed gear I've accumulated, I might not even bother completing it this time around, just having too much of a ball......
  • Deleted user 1 July 2013 23:02:42
    Never got invading, did it once just to see and I killed the player and just felt like a total dick so never did it again.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 07:32:19
    Choppi wrote:
    Americans!
    Just watched two video reviews of it, think I won't bother. 8.99 is a bargin but there's no point in me getting it as it will cost me thirty pounds to replace the broken joypad. Plus the review said fifty hours ish, I can't handle fifty hours of stress.
    ;)
  • zoranzelenika 2 Jul 2013 08:31:43 30 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:

Oh yes, pretty special that.
    Thanks, but I've really fluked it and I know it.
    I've no business yet in Anor Londo, nowhere near ready enough judging by the average size of things I saw there so I'm off to explore Sen's properly, explore Darkroot Basin and beyond and generally buff up more. Perhaps I might try New Londo Ruins as well.
  • quadfather 2 Jul 2013 08:42:29 12,868 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    zoranzelenika wrote:

Yes quaddy, addicted and then some. A tenner I spent. 80 hours for a bloody tenner!

So. Who was going on about loving the zweihander earlier? I totally feel that love! Taurus. Dead. Havel. Dead. Gargoyles. Dead. Capra. Dead. Various black knights. Dead. I've +5'd it. Off to kill a big silly dragon in the depths now. Taken me twenty odd hours less to get here compared to first run. Mental.

Edit: also. I realise my games now fall into two categories.

1. Dark Souls
    2. Not Dark Souls

I find myself mainly playing games in category 1
    Proper addict. There's no hope for you now. You'll be analysing weapon upgrade mechanics and speed runs next

• LeoliansBro 2 Jul 2013 08:46:25 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The world record speed tun is astonishing.

Beat Seath to death before breakfast (hit him to death with my Zweihander).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 08:47:57
    Finally managed to make my way into Blighttown and to a bonfire without getting poisoned to death. I now need to continue investigating up top or drop back to the bottom and go and get smashed by Quelag.

Still also need to go back and conquer Sif the Grey and those giant rats in Darkroot.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jul 2013 09:14:30 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quelaag isn't that bad. There's some in-game help to be had as well, if you're human (and you beat her first). She's a little odd...

As to the amazing chest, the stay-behind-them rule of bosses (almost all bosses) works especially here. Watch the lava chunder and don't be afriad to block her sword swipes, they aren't that draining.

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 10:20:06
    @LeoliansBro Are you still using your Zweihander then? What are your stats with it and how much have you upgraded it? Have you used anything else or just that? What armour are you wearing?
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 10:23:38
    @Goodfella I got one first run through. Never got another. Even when I had the covetous Serpent Ring and 10 humanity I never got any in about 5 runs :S
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jul 2013 10:35:09 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    @LeoliansBro Are you still using your Zweihander then? What are your stats with it and how much have you upgraded it? Have you used anything else or just that? What armour are you wearing?
    Zwei till I die baby.

325 + 230 (IIRC) at +15 and 40 strength. Without any buff I was doing 831 damage against Seath's belly per hit. Pretty much everything smaller than a demon or a knight dies in one hit. Sure there are weapons that hit harder BUT:

a) They are slower. The wind up for the black knight greataxe in particular makes the Zwei look like a sliptip.

b) It weighs bugger all in the big scheme of things (10 vs 16 for a GDM). If you're trying to stay rapid this is invaluable, as staying under 50% emcumbrance means that your endurance bonuses effectively only stack 50% as well. With this I can wear full Havels except for Mask of the Child, a shield AND I can still zoom about the place like a heavily armoured Benny Hill.

c) It knocks things down. A free hit against most baddies who don't die instantly is handy. Sure other weapons do too but they have the long wind up, and the Zwei is possibly the fastest thing that does this.

/Yakkity Sax

• LeoliansBro 2 Jul 2013 10:37:13 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    @Goodfella I got one first run through. Never got another. Even when I had the covetous Serpent Ring and 10 humanity I never got any in about 5 runs :S
    Fun facts.

Normal item find level: 100.

Covetous Gold Ring: +200.

First humanity: +50.

Every subsequent humanity up to 10: +6.

Don't bother with more than one humanity, the marginal difference is tiny and not worth the risk.

• Deleted user 2 July 2013 10:46:09
    @LeoliansBro Sweet. I'll stick with the Zwei. At +5 and 30 Str at the mo. The overhead strike flattens shit it's brilliant, not to mention the range of the quick swipe. Sounds like the damage is awesome later on as well!

One of the first things I did was get Havels ring as was chugging around like a beast before that. Move a bit faster now. Bought that armour from thingy in the depths, seems to be the best I've found so far...

Is that all the extra humanity adds? I hadn't bothered to check so much. Reckon I'll just keep at 1 or 2 active humanity now...
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 10:47:45
    Should I move from Claymore to Zwei? I have a shit load of weapons but I like the range my Claymore gives me.
  • quadfather 2 Jul 2013 10:48:15 12,868 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dammit, you're making me want to roll a zwei character

I think I have one actually, I need to check

• Page

of 1210 First / Last