Dark Souls Page 808

• Page

of 1218 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 24 Jun 2013 10:25:53 13,740 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    I ran in and killed one quickly. Then ran away, picked one off from the trees with my bow then ran in and killed the third. No way taking them all on close range at once. Madness. It's that roll attack, bloody lethal.

Edit: Then I found out as a Forest Hunter they wouldn't have attacked me, anyone know if this is true? I ran in and twatted one without waiting to see.
    I didn't know that, but I did know that they were coming. I took them out using the hover at the edge strategy. Thinking about it, there was a ridge where you can stand on to take them out with ranged weapons.

This is why I want to do the game differently on the sequel. Go in totally blind. I want things to be difficult and to figure a solution out.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 24 June 2013 10:34:47
    @Goodfella Good! Although only done it once so far to go from AL to Firelink before going down to New Londo. Looks like it'll be great to whizz about instead of trudging everywhere!
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 10:41:43
    Widge wrote:

This is why I want to do the game differently on the sequel. Go in totally blind. I want things to be difficult and to figure a solution out.
    Me too. I think I've been spoiled coming to this forum for help (which has been invaluable), I think I've missed a bit of the mystery. Still figured out a bit for myself though which I'm chuffed about.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 10:51:49
    @Goodfella Er, I didn't really look at the list properly :redface:
    Seemed to be more than that though but can't remember. Think I've found all the bonfires so far...
  • Dr_Mech 24 Jun 2013 10:56:59 1,050 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Erm, I stumbled into Manus's lair last night. And the 'humanity' - O_o

Pointers in terms of what's there - I ended up looking at a few things, wood carvings, dark magic, Gough. But there's just the few areas Wood, Sanctuary, Township, Abyss, correct ? I think I somehow imagined there'd be a bit more. Had a couple of helpful summons guiding me, so that helped.
    There really isn't a whole lot there besides a Dark magic spell (Dark Bead) and a new pyromancy spell (Black flame). However have you done Sif yet? If not when you walk across that bridge (where you can see all the humanity sprites milling around on one side) instead of heading down into the pit, head left.

From there you should see a very familiar feline, follow her as she teleports, she leads you to a secret.

Goodfella wrote:
    Yeah I'm loving this build, the low VIT (20) is risky as it is possible to be one shottet (rarely but possible) but the power is immense.

With PW and CMW combined with a huge amount of endurance you can do ridiculous damage before your stamina runs out.
    It is a brutal boss killer of a build, one of those builds that is difficult prior to all the parts coming together but once it does you can R2 spam your way through the rest of the game on bosses (except the last one).

Edited by Dr_Mech at 10:59:39 24-06-2013
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 11:13:31
    But of course. DS wouldn't want to make it too straightforward!
  • quadfather 24 Jun 2013 11:23:38 13,357 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bantamenace wrote:
    Just placed the Lordvessel! (got the game in August!)
    Congrats! Things get a bit easier now.

And it's a marathon, not a sprint :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 24 Jun 2013 11:24:30 13,357 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    YES! Get in!!!!!!

Fucking ha!

Had a weekend away. No dark souls. So came back at it tonight. Killed laurel and hardy first go didn't even need to heal! God I feel brilliant! +5 furysword. 10 humanity. Little chap took about five swipes then big boy took about ten. Fuck yes. I'm dancing. You can't see me. But I'm dancing.
    Awesome! Well done!

It's amazing how you view it when you have a break isn't it.

Enjoy the reward, you've earnt it!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• ProfessorLesser 24 Jun 2013 11:49:35 19,417 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reading around it seems like I went to New Londo very late... it's pretty much the last place I've been besides Tomb of the Giants. Think I've done a lot in a strange order.
  • Dr_Mech 24 Jun 2013 11:51:24 1,050 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nah the game doesn't really have a suggested order with regards the later section of the game, you can tackle any of the Lord Soul bosses in any way you want, one of the better things about the game IMO.
  • ProfessorLesser 24 Jun 2013 12:10:11 19,417 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I've quite enjoyed the freedom. Although it's a bit annoying missing out on things like Darkwraith as a consequence. But I guess that's what guides are for!
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 14:09:03
    @quadfather Cheers! Rarely have I felt as good in a game!

Had a wee look at New Londo Ruins. Ghosts are a piece of piss, working my way down to the lower part. Darkwraiths do big damage I see but go down quick so just taking my time.

Shitting it down here though. I might fuck off after getting the very large ember and come back later.
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 14:12:05 44,953 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One of the most oppressive areas of the game IMO. Spooky.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 14:18:50 44,953 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    Now for your true smashy smashy you'll want the Demon's Greataxe which requires 46 strength but has an S scaling in strength when upgraded.
    And a tiny addendum to this - Demon Great Machete is a better bet. At +15, 332 A ranked damage beats 285 S ranked damage. And it only requires 40 strength to wield.

• oldschoolsoviet 24 Jun 2013 14:32:04 5,549 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    However have you done Sif yet? If not when you walk across that bridge (where you can see all the humanity sprites milling around on one side) instead of heading down into the pit, head left.
    Sif is dead, but she still appeared. Led me to a shortcut lift and a suspicious looking wall......

I was wondering whether a certain ring would do owt down there ? Too busy 'cosplaying' as Chester in the Depths for now, still hoaching with folk, about 75 GDs down. :D
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 14:37:57
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    One of the most oppressive areas of the game IMO. Spooky.
    It definitely is.. Esp since I have no bonfire at firelink, although not entirely my fault(!) I was carrying her firekeepers soul on me when I got to Anor Londo, didn't upgrade my Estus and got ANOTHER one after killing Lautrec, so I had two. Cool, I thought, I'll use one to upgrade my flask. So I did that, then thought maybe as I still had one I could reignite the fire at firelink so went there. Couldn't relight the bonfire so went down to her cage where is says she's dead. No prompts or anything. So, huh, I thought. I'll look online, maybe it's not possible to reignite Firelink. Found a guide that said use the soul at her cage. So stood in front and used the soul. Nothing. Now i have no soul either. The only thing I can think of was when I went back and upgraded my estus, even though my inv called them both "Firekeeper Soul" and even though I couldn't select which soul to use for my estus, I can only assume the wrong soul was used, leaving me with a generic one that couldn't reignite firelink.

Means that I'm more bothered of dying in New Londo or facing the four kings as I'm going to have to come from further away! (I know that it'll prob respawn me in AL and I can just use the Lordvessel back to Firelink, but still, extra time...)

Anyone have any ideas what happened or have I got it about right?
  • Rhaegyr 24 Jun 2013 14:44:27 2,714 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Each Firekeeper Soul is slightly different if you check their descriptions (very subtle and easy to miss). This makes me think they're unique to the person who has/drops them.

I can only offer my sympathies - I can't imagine what it'd be like not having a bonfire in Firelink, especially when up against the 4K (though easy once you get in close). Unlucky mate :(
  • ProfessorLesser 24 Jun 2013 14:49:07 19,417 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How did you fight Lautrec without knowing Anastacia was dead? Definitely sounds like the game confused your Firekeeper souls :( That's a massive pain in the arse.

Maybe you'll get more use out of the Darkroot Basin shortcut? Depends how much Drakes bother you I suppose. They are quite annoying.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2013 14:49:34
    So my Drake Sword is now +1 for 220 damage but my claymore plus 8 for 185.

I can ascend it to a firesword with only 135 damage but I don't know what to do?

Should I ignore the power of my drake sword and keep persevering with the claymore?
  • ProfessorLesser 24 Jun 2013 14:52:52 19,417 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HairyArse Most people advise not to upgrade the Drake Sword as the scales are too precious and the results not worth it.
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 14:53:24 44,953 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Few things HA:

A Fire Claymore isn't just 135 damage, it's 135 damage + xxx fire damage (which works better on some enemies than others).

Your Claymore +8 isn't 185 damage, it's 185 damage + C scaling off your strength + C scaling off your dexterity. If you toggle the inventory view with X (on 360) when looking at it you'll see another number next to the 185, that's the additional damage you do due to your own stats scaling with the sword. Making a sword fire or lightning removes this benefit.

Your Drake Sword +1 is 220 damage. Full stop. And is therefore actually the weakest of the three.

• Deleted user 24 June 2013 14:58:08
    Fuck. So I shouldn't have used up the dragon scales. Or was that the only thing I could do with them?

I still have the moonlight butterfly soul. Am I right to save that?

I also have a green titanite shard, a twinkling titanite and a demon titanite. What should I do with them?
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 15:01:51 44,953 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Generally don't eat boss souls, they can be used by a certain blacksmith to forge unique weapons. All of those titanites you mentioned can be farmed / bought so don't worry about using them frivolously.

• ProfessorLesser 24 Jun 2013 15:03:50 19,417 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Green titanite gets you to +5 magic/+5 fire/+5 divine weapons. Twinkling titanite upgrades unique items - save for a rare weapon or armour set you really like (but you can buy them later on for 8000 souls each). Demon titanite is for upgrading boss weapons.

Moonlight butterfly soul can create a special spear or shield, depending on which +10 item you ascend. A demon titanite would then upgrade this boss weapon to +5.

EDIT: To add to LeoliansBro, I would be a little bit more careful with twinkling and demon titanite. They can be farmed, but it's a pain.

Edited by ProfessorLesser at 15:05:15 24-06-2013
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 15:04:03 44,953 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dragon scales in fact can be farmed indefinitely if you're good enough, but they (along with big souls and some weapons and armour) are arguably the only finite things in the game.

• neilka 24 Jun 2013 15:05:39 16,526 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can reignite Firelink?!

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Page

of 1218 First / Last