Dark Souls Page 756

• Page

of 1198 First / Last

• Elathron 13 May 2013 21:35:03 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I guess it also depends if you're tanking it or not. A fully tanked up build will soak up a lot of the poise drain but whether you want to risk taking damage is another matter? You'd probably be better off using a Great-shield and some medium poise/low weight armour. Stick him with something pointy and preferably divine and Brolaire's yer uncle.
    In all seriousness though, when he gets below about 60% health watch out for his dark magic. The Silver Pendant will help somewhat, but the worst of his attacks force you to face away to block and absorb the damage. Locking off a boss like Manus is never a happy prospect but the closer you are when he does this, the better (free swings galore).

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• romelpotter 13 May 2013 22:14:34 148 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a really fun evening tonight. I was killing mobs in the hall before O&S, got invaded a few times, killed one invader (yes!!) had a good scrap with another and lost in one shrill backstab in the other.

Then had my first real experience of co op play where me and a summoned took on O&S. Fecking brilliant, we worked as a team, they tanked fatty and I took out skinny, then we both set upon fatty and fired his ass to death. whole thing was done in a few mins.

Incredible experience!!!

Its only the second ever summon of a human player I have been able to do, most of the time they fail! And dispite joining Co Op covenant, I have yet to be summoned!

Still, really enjoyed this afternoon.
  • King_Edward 13 May 2013 22:41:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron
    Not tanking it at all. Zero poise, Zweihander and a Grass Crest Shield. He's dead now though, Kalameet too. Both suffered death by Ninja flip. :)

Notched enough souls to get up to 32 strength and waft my Divine Great Axe +10 at Gwyn. 4x reposte & counters and he was done too.
  • Dr_Mech 13 May 2013 23:55:53 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    I guess it also depends if you're tanking it or not. A fully tanked up build will soak up a lot of the poise drain but whether you want to risk taking damage is another matter? You'd probably be better off using a Great-shield and some medium poise/low weight armour. Stick him with something pointy and preferably divine and Brolaire's yer uncle.
    In all seriousness though, when he gets below about 60% health watch out for his dark magic. The Silver Pendant will help somewhat, but the worst of his attacks force you to face away to block and absorb the damage. Locking off a boss like Manus is never a happy prospect but the closer you are when he does this, the better (free swings galore).
    Actually his only attack that is suppose to really require the pendant (being surrounded by orbs of darkness which then come crashing in) can actually be avoided by running towards him as soon as you see them start appearing since they stop quite far out from Manus.

I found that just staying up in his grill a lot of the time limits his casting and with a decent stability shield you can block everything but a full tantrum combo.

If you back off as soon as he starts his tantrum and you should block the first two hits while being out of range for the rest then once he's finished get immediately back up in his face again.

This limits his dark magic casting to the Dark rain since he'll only usually use Dark Bead at mid-range and the orb summoning one at long range.

If you've got the strength for it (and my what a strength requirement it is) Havels shield makes the fight a lot easier due to both high stability and high Magic resistance you can usually just shrug off everything but the Dark Rain, which WILL require the Pendant if you're fatrolling.

Edit:
    Been mucking about making an Ornstein build and being summoned in Anor Londo.

Had an amusing moment where I was summoned in by someone in full Solaire gear who had also summoned in someone using all of the Havel the Rock gear except the Greatshield.

So Havel, Solaire and Ornstein are off on their merry way, Havel making short work of virtually anything with the running R2 (oneshot silver knights and took half the health off the sentinel guardians), we get to the fog door and someone invades.

We line up in the archway he comes down, takes one look at the three of us and decides it isn't worth it (sorry but my job when summoned is to guard the host and see him through the content and help beat the boss, I will not fight fair when I'm summoned) and seperation crystals out.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 02:02:25 14-05-2013
  • Tuffty 14 May 2013 09:16:09 1,534 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    @Tuffty - whats your objective? To get to NG+++++++?
    Not really, just playing for the hell of it haha. There's still some achievements I can get though (Crystal Weapon, finding Darkmoon & Darkwraith covenants) so I guess that's the primary goals but other than that I just like dicking about. Might be tempted for the Dark Soul achievement.

Edited by Tuffty at 09:16:44 14-05-2013
  • Architect_z 14 May 2013 09:48:15 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - I had a play around as an Ornstein build, and oddly enough I got summoned in the Dukes Archieves by a guy with all of Smoughs gear.

So Ornstein and Smough went to take down Seath
  • Dr_Mech 14 May 2013 19:31:18 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago

Jesus christ...some people are seriously amazing at this game.

There is no way in all hell I'd ever be able to achieve this...
  • geeza2020 14 May 2013 20:45:05 1,886 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been playing this for over 150 hours now, and its brilliant, but PVP is still fucked in my eyes. Every time I get invaded I seem to get backstabbed by someone while im mid-rolling away. How the hell is that even possible? Unless the crappy performance over a P2P network is causing such glitches, in which case why include PvP at all? Single player and co-op though, the games incredible.
  • puddleduck 14 May 2013 21:26:17 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @geeza2020

It works well at times, and terribly at others. There's tactics you can use, but it seems they've learnt from this and will be using the Demon Soul's approach for the PvP with Dark Souls 2.
  • Dr_Mech 15 May 2013 00:08:31 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did something I'm not proud of today....

I used my Soul level 1 run character to invade low level players...

Full Black Iron set, +5 Jagged Ghost blade (only using the R2 attack), Skull Lantern and using Iron Flesh for a Tonberry effect, never running even if Iron Flesh wore off, always at a walk.

Got my ass kicked twice by one player who played it smart, just poisoned me with poison arrows and kept me at range and one guy who is clearly a lot higher level than me (and by that I mean in NG+) and nailed me with a nice parry.

One guy I invaded twice in a row, so the second time I dropped some titanite chunks for them so I didn't feel too dickish...

On the PvE side of thing, nailed Nito and Four Kings on the Soul Level 1 character, just Lost Izalith and Seath left to go...

Edited by Dr_Mech at 00:10:23 15-05-2013
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 08:24:50
    @geeza2020

PvP doesn't work all that well sadly. The lag issues often ruin fights (either in your favour or against you).

The amount of min/max players with Giants/Uchi builds in the Burg is fairly annoying but effective (depending on lag I can either parry fine or miss continuously against katana builds).

From a personal point of view, my 2 main PvP characters (Darkwraith and Gravelord) are more Role Play based purely for shits 'n giggles which suits me fine.

And then you run into a hacker who summons phantoms to assist him...

edit: oh, at least they nerfed the Ring of Fog and the Darkwood Grain Ring. At release, PvP was completely fucked :)

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 08:29:15 15-05-2013
  • Deleted user 15 May 2013 08:26:15
    @Dr_Mech

SL1 characters are easymode, try a SL3 Sorcerer have has only 9 strength for the hardest base level run through (imo)

;)
  • Elathron 15 May 2013 10:01:53 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    edit: oh, at least they nerfed the Ring of Fog and the Darkwood Grain Ring. At release, PvP was completely fucked
    Kinda... I agree it's better now, but also there's far less traffic so it feels pretty bare unless I'm on at a peak time. PvP for me was the pinnacle of what this game was about, hanging around in Darkroot Garden waiting for blue and red phantoms to invade is boring but the fights are worth it. You really have to learn how lag affects the game and how most people are just fishing for a backstab. Personally I find having a summons just makes the lag worse so I stick to me vs (however many of) them.
    I'll upload some videos of Dark Souls PvP, bit like D_D di back in the day to help out those who don't like it still. Or if anyone wants practice, I can help out there too.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Architect_z 15 May 2013 10:42:55 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got the Black-Knight Great Axe to +5. I love this weapon, its really sweet, love the unique moveset.

I think the PvP is gonna be much improved on Dark Souls 2, it seems to be an important part of its production.
    I love the PvP aspect aswell, I find it interesting just to see what various peoples character look like and what weapons they're wielding, and finding ways to overcome the various play styles.
    One of my favourite things is invading and the host has 2 mates. If you know the level well enough, you can lead them into traps, plan last minute escapes, ambush points, its so much fun. ^_^
  • Dr_Mech 15 May 2013 22:50:15 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been trying the Boxer challenge and by the gods...

I think it is because I NEVER play without having a shield and having to dodge/parry everything is incredibly taxing, I actually got my ass kicked on the Gargoyles even with Brolaire summoned, that has only happened back when I first started playing the game and even then that was only due to poor positioning and getting knocked off the roof.

Yeah I'm ok with summoning on this particular build for the Gargoyles and probably O&S just because the other bosses I can probably deal with (will get the Wolf ring for capra so I don't get stunlocked by the dogs) due to being one on one.
  • Architect_z 17 May 2013 10:20:46 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - Boxer challenge? Are you using any fist weapons at all?

I reckon the boxer challenge could be really fun if you made 2 dragon great bone fists
  • Dr_Mech 17 May 2013 13:03:39 1,014 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Boxer challenge = dual fist weapons only, no shield.

I gave up...the Fist weapons are fucking awful, I managed to beat O&S and even fully upgraded the Dragon Bone fist is just shockingly bad.

They have no reach, which I can forgive because they're fist weapons but that doesn't mean the damage has to be fecking awful as well.

Trying four kings was a nightmare, though I got really close to killing them I...just couldn't go on with it.
  • Red_Bool 18 May 2013 18:27:26 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I finally managed to beat Artorias last night (NG+) after struggling with this fight for weeks :D (limited game time) In the end I went for a full dodge-em approach: Havel + Colanthry ring, Black Knight shield and BSS. "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" ;) Took over an hour to get the timing and strategy right - had almost forgotten the feeling of beating a DaS boss: two fists in the air, muffled shout "yeah!" (family was sleeping)

After that I decided I liked this setup, so now I'm pouring points towards END so I won't need Havels ring. Any advice what the best lightest armour is to wear for such a build? Right now I'm wearing a Wanderers outfit (+9) with a Gargoyle helmet (look, I don't know ok? :))

Needless to say, I'm hooked again ;)
  • Red_Bool 18 May 2013 19:21:30 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That does look very nice indeed :) Do you have to kill him to get this set?

I guess that since the main aim for a fast-roll build is to not get hit, armour won't matter (shield should handle the hits) - however I was thinking that since I won't be able to dodge / block everything, some sort of light armour would be handy :)
  • Metalfish 19 May 2013 00:05:39 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only recently got this, currently wearing a boar's head. Which brings me to my question: with the upgrading of a equipment, should I bother with my starting set type stuff, or is it only worth doing on the "proper" stuff that will invariably turn up 5 seconds after I use my crafting materials?

(I've got the Drake sword, since it seems silly not to, but beyond that I'm pretty noob-tastic).
  • Deleted user 19 May 2013 07:54:15
    @Metalfish

For upgrading gear, just pick something you like using and upgrade that. I'd certainly recommend focusing on upgrading weapons before armour though.

I'd also advise against bothering with the Drake Sword too much also (fine to begin with but loses its initial power very fast). Get another weapon of your own choice up to +5 and you'll be far better off in the long-run.
  • Metalfish 19 May 2013 13:18:43 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ta, got a +5 halberd now and some fancy elite armour to go with my silly boar hat. Neither of these things were what allowed me just make a complete mockery of Havel with backstabs -it did seem rather counter-intuitive that taking off all my clothes and bear-hugging him was the most effective tactic. (He did stomp me 3 or 4 times first, mind).
  • Architect_z 20 May 2013 08:04:46 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think I came across a hacker on PS3 last night? Invaded a guy who was in full havel gear, had havels great shield, and used many different heavy strength and high dex weapons. Even a R2 power attack using a BK Great Axe+5 with 50 strength, took off 250 damage and even then, that took about a 20th of his health bar.

I've never seen hackers on the PS3 version. How odd?
  • Deleted user 20 May 2013 08:11:13
    @Architect_z - could also have been a ridiculously high lvl character (SL500+). Some of those guys can have over 3k health at 99 Vit, rings, Mask of Mother etc.
  • fiery_jackass 20 May 2013 08:16:34 465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had quite a few hacked invaders on PS3 in recent weeks. Check out the stats on the top 10 Book of the Guilty people. The most recent one I had was #3 or so on the list, hurtling around in full Havel's firing off that glitched/hacked Karmic Justice and wholly un-killable.
  • Deleted user 20 May 2013 08:18:52
    I've seen a youtube video of someone using hacked Karmic Justice - totally broken.

Hackers suck donkey balls :(
  • Architect_z 20 May 2013 08:44:39 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ironlungs76 - Aye, I did consider that, but how could I invade him, or he invade me? I'm only SL 120.

Also, regarding SL, whats the best level to find invasions? I thought it was 120? or is it 125?
  • Page

of 1198 First / Last