Dark Souls Page 743

• Page

of 1217 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 26 Mar 2013 15:25:45 17,276 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oddly it took me a long time to figure out that I should avoid his ejections and get in there and accept the odd whacking by his appendage.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 15:26:27 26-03-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• quadfather 26 Mar 2013 16:16:11 13,144 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup, I join the funny things clan too.

Makes it more intense for me coupled with the beer addled buffoonery on top and it's quite a mix :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Architect_z 26 Mar 2013 18:40:45 2,385 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Last time I played Dark Souls high, I found those wierd squid-tub guys (in LI) really upsetting. I thought "awwww i've never died trying to kill you, and your attacks are so stupid....I just want to give you a hug."
  • Elathron 26 Mar 2013 19:19:43 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Architect_z - Annoyingly I have died due to them, an invader managed to kick me into one of those gaping maws after I decided that the Labyrinth was a good place for a fight. Quite embarrassing being shat out of a DaS monster...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Architect_z 28 Mar 2013 19:22:43 2,385 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hope theres loads of NPC-enemies on the next game. I like killing undead/dreglings/ice-beasts/dogs...whatever.

But the fight with Lautrec is always really intense, I hope plenty of enemies will fight like that. Rolling to evade attacks, parrying. Also enemies who use their shield more would be nice.
  • puddleduck 28 Mar 2013 20:53:23 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In contrast to that Kirk is hilarously terrible.
  • RobAnybody 30 Mar 2013 21:50:53 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was a PC demo of Dark Souls ever released?
  • Deleted user 30 March 2013 21:58:14
    @RobAnybody I seriously doubt it.
  • RobAnybody 30 Mar 2013 22:50:19 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's a pain.
  • RobAnybody 30 Mar 2013 22:50:38 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I see that Amazon.com has the game on offer at $14.99 as an online game code, would the purchased code still work in the UK?
  • Tricky 30 Mar 2013 23:23:23 4,471 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, that's how I got it - it works fine.
  • RobAnybody 31 Mar 2013 10:12:21 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just tried it and get this nonsense:

"Online Codes are only available to US customers"
  • ZuluHero 31 Mar 2013 12:06:11 4,228 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretend you live in the US :p
  • RobAnybody 31 Mar 2013 21:25:25 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ended up getting someone I know in the US to buy it for me (then I paid him). :)

However, even though it installed and fired up okay, when I'm told to 'Press Start' I do so (on my wireless Xbox controller) and nothing happens. And yes, the Start button is working just fine on the controller.

Any ideas anyone?
  • Ziz0u 1 Apr 2013 15:43:23 8,552 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have started playing Demon's Souls again after at least a year. I'm 39 hours in from when I last played, but I feel lost. I have Dark Souls untouched that I'm wanting to start but I feel I should finish Demon's Souls first... Is Dark Souls different enought to re-ignite my flame for the game?
  • RobAnybody 1 Apr 2013 17:43:49 942 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Did you try any other buttons, A for example? :p
    Fixed it now thanks to this:

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/82410/how-do-i-get-my-xbox-360-controller-to-work-with-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edit
  • Cappy 1 Apr 2013 18:04:16 12,086 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still not feeling it for Dark Souls.

Chop, chop, chopping my way through the undead. I really should have picked a class that gets a starting weapon that I actually like because axes are not my style. It seems a lot more easy than Demon's Souls, the game overall, even the combat encounters feel less polished.

I light a new bonfire and clear the surrounding area, noting a corridor leading into unknown depths beneath, blocked by a formidable looking fellow. Have I found the Dark Souls equivalent of the Red Eye and Blue Eye Knights?

A tentative fireball tossed in his direction confirms my suspicions, barely any impact on his health, this meatball is too spicy for me, I disengage the lock-on and sprint off in full retreat, he's very fast, I barely escape what would probably be a killing blow as I navigate the next flight of stairs.

Now it's getting intense, I can hear him close behind but I'm not sure if I'm outpacing him or he's getting closer, my stamina bar flatlines, I continue at reduced speed expecting a deathblow at any moment, with every step I'm closer to the bonfire. I clear the last few archways and my stamina recovers enabling a gazelle like burst across the bridge to my goal.

I position myself in readiness on the opposite side of the bonfire to the doorway waiting for my armoured pursuer. He doesn't arrive, I shook his pursuit, I'm safe.

That's been the best part of the game so far.
  • Ziz0u 1 Apr 2013 18:20:18 8,552 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok. I'm well and truly back into Demon's Souls. Just clicked again. Dark Souls will have to wait.
  • evild_edd 2 Apr 2013 07:10:18 3,167 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have had a couple of weeks off DS due to holiday. Picked up my save game from the fire in Anor Londo, down the elevator thingy, through the cathedral, negotiating its high beams, and then stumbled my way into the Painted World of Ariamis.

Became toxic on one of those bloated zombie creatures and then killed by a pair of flying thingies. Thought "this is all a bit hard, but at least I've not lost too many souls and will respawn back in Anor Londo..."

:p

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• RelaxedMikki 2 Apr 2013 12:02:01 937 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oooh. I have finally got the bug with this.

I rented Dark Souls not long after it came out, but could not get into it at all back then (not really a game you can get into with the 'rush to see it all' mentality you get with a rental)

Picked it up on Games On Demand for £15 and am well into it now.

Highlights so far?

1. Trying to repeatedly to beat the Taurus Demon using some fancy YouTube technique (climb tower, jump attack off tower, run to end of bridge, roll back through legs, climb tower, jump off tower etc...). That didn't work, so I just tried the old 'Bayonetta' approach of charging in and wailing on the bastardo. Got him first time with the 'attack attack attack' full frontal assault!

2. Spending 2 hours last night unintentionally farming souls trying to kill the Bridge Wyvern with a level 12 charatcter... finally gave up and just legged it onwards after my daughter wandered in and commented 'are you sure you can actually kill it? You don't really seem to be hurting it...'
  • Architect_z 3 Apr 2013 11:01:21 2,385 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ^lol

My girlfriend has been hacking away at the bridge dragon. I've completed the game about 6 times? and only managed to (only just) kill him with 50 faith and hurling Sunlight Spears at him.

And like whoever said earlier. I want red/blue eyed knights, thats what I kind of meant by NPC enemies. An enemy who gives you a proper bout!
    Who uses his shield and has the odd combo that gets you everytime!
  • Architect_z 4 Apr 2013 17:03:21 2,385 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love greatshields. Makes me feel like a complete badass.
  • evild_edd 4 Apr 2013 18:02:33 3,167 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Progress report (1st playthrough):

Having found Sen's Fortress not too tricky, I must say that Anor Londo has proved a little less enjoyable. The place is just flooded with strong, respawning knights that have got the better of me a few times.

Lost a couple of hours to one really tricky bit - one I'm sure the experienced DS players will be familiar with - where you have to run along a narrow roof top bridge thing whilst two black knights hurl Dragon Bow Arrows at you from either side. Got stuck in an endless loop of death; then having to retrace my steps; just about retrieving the 100k souls I'd lost in dying; then being knocked to my death again. Sodding. Nightmare.

Finally fluked it by grabbing my fallen soul thingy and, instead of trying to fight the knight on the ledge, instead legged it back along the bridge again. For some reason this caused both knights to fling themselves off the ledge in an attempt to follow me. Not sure whether this was a one-off, or if I stumbled across some hidden tactic. Whatever, it was a blessed relief reaching the next bonfire.

After a few more deaths, many more close calls, the odd squealing retreat, and a few fleeting moments of skillful brilliance, I've searched every nook and cranny of that building and opened up a short cut which bypasses that hideous sticking point. Found the second (second for me, anyway) blacksmith and spent those carefully retained 120k souls on weapon upgrades and, having seen seen lots of warnings about an imminent boss and the need for humanity (I'm guessing I can summon some NPC spirits to aid me in battle), I've returned to the central bonfire and am about to wade into battle.

Weapons of choice are a +5 divine Iaido, and a kick ass Lightning Spear, both of which I use whilst cowering behind my shield (crest shield) and trying to backstab people as often as possible.

I know I say this every time, but surely I'm near the end of the game by now...?

Edited by evild_edd at 18:04:33 04-04-2013

Why look, it's a blog:

• Mr_Sleep 4 Apr 2013 18:11:38 17,276 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That is an interesting tactic! I'd never considered that. I had to check youtube to figure out how to beat them. It's not something I'm proud of. Basically you can roll under the shot of the one on the right then smack him or cause him to fall off. I can do it pretty regularly now I have the timing but it's one of the biggest sticking points in the game and everyone has been there and hated it.

I'll say this, once you're past those bosses is when the game properly opens up. I wont ruin it. That boss battle is epic too, summoning Solare is pretty crucial first time around. What level are you?

You are a factory of sadness.

• Architect_z 4 Apr 2013 18:21:47 2,385 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd - Anor Londo is about (roughly) the midway point of the game.
  • evild_edd 4 Apr 2013 18:28:45 3,167 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Midway? O_o

Oh well, lots more DS japes for me then - that's no bad thing!

I'm on about level 45ish, I think. Got dex and vit up to early twenties, and also a fair bit on endurance. Think I might want to get strength up to 20 as well so I can use the Dragon Bow that I found by going through the broken window in Anor Londo.

Any advice on what level I should be aiming for...? I feel like I've ploughed more souls into leveling up than my character than my weapons and armour, something which I've tried to rectify with my last spending splurge...

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 4 Apr 2013 18:49:23 3,167 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

"That is an interesting tactic! I'd never considered that. I had to check youtube to figure out how to beat them. It's not something I'm proud of. Basically you can roll under the shot of the one on the right then smack him or cause him to fall off."

Ha - I just look on Youtube to suss your rolling technique and the first vid I came across actually employed my cheap "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!" technique :0)

Link

Why look, it's a blog:

• Page

of 1217 First / Last