Dark Souls Page 733

  • Page

    of 1193 First / Last

  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 11:57:01 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Explore the forest, no need to kill the hydra, no need to go through the crest door. You don't have to find that legendary item but it helps a lot with the thing in the basement.

    The game doesn't tell you this but do you know about the poise value of your character? Heavy armour for example adds to your poise. The more poise you have the more difficult it is for an enemy to stun you with their hits.
  • evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 12:54:43 3,011 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had no idea about poise. I assume that there's an enemy that can stun me coming up then, or are you talking about the general incidents when you momentarily recoil from a heavy blow?

    Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

  • Mola_Ram 27 Feb 2013 13:05:00 6,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It might help with the stone guardians, but you don't really have to fight those. I found it more helpful for PvP.

    But really it depends on the sort of character you're using. If you're using things that have a long wind-up - like heavy weapons or spells - then a decent poise is useful to essential.

    Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:07:07 27-02-2013
  • evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 13:17:32 3,011 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmmm...I actually wonder whether I'm spreading myself a little thin.

    I've gone for a pyromancer class but am boosting dex/str/end/vit and trying to keep my equipment light. As I've progressed I'm finding that I use the pyro' flame less and less, only really on large, slower bosses (it was useful against the crawling beast with the spear near the first blacksmith but not so much against Lautrec who kept dodging the flames).

    Another question (sorry): is it possible to upgrade my spell casting so I'm not limited to 8 casts of my flame spell, or do I have to find and buy new spells?

    Wondering whether I should give up on the spells side altogether and focus on melee...

    Edited by evild_edd at 13:18:32 27-02-2013

    Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

  • Mola_Ram 27 Feb 2013 13:20:21 6,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you put more into atunement (I think, been a while since I played this) you can get more slots to put another copy of whatever spell you want in, effectively doubling it.

    And I think there's a ring somewhere that gives you more casts.
  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 13:40:40 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Hmmmm...I actually wonder whether I'm spreading myself a little thin.

    I've gone for a pyromancer class but am boosting dex/str/end/vit and trying to keep my equipment light. As I've progressed I'm finding that I use the pyro' flame less and less, only really on large, slower bosses (it was useful against the crawling beast with the spear near the first blacksmith but not so much against Lautrec who kept dodging the flames).

    Another question (sorry): is it possible to upgrade my spell casting so I'm not limited to 8 casts of my flame spell, or do I have to find and buy new spells?

    Wondering whether I should give up on the spells side altogether and focus on melee...


    At a later stage you can upgrade your pyromancer flame and make it more powerful, it just costs lots of souls, no stat points required to up its damage. Pyro is very good for melee chars because they don't require any investment in faith or intelligence.

    At 16 attunement you get 4 spell slots, after that you require more and more stat points in attunement to press for more spell slots. I'd not invest more than 16 in NewGame.

    Focus on vitality and endurance, especially vitality if you ask me. If you are running out of endurance because your shield is too weak then upgrade your shield - it enhances its stability so you'll lose less stamina when blocking heavy attacks.

    Focus on either strength or dexterity for NG. There are weapons which get a damage boost from dexterity and ones who get one from strength. Look up the details of your weapon. Next to the symbols for strength, dexterity, intelligence and faith you'll see a rating. From lower to best it's like E - D - C - B - A - S. The better the rating the higher the damage bonus.

    Let's take a long sword. It has C strength and a C dexterity bonus. So both stats up the damage. Let's take a dagger, after upgrading it gets an A dexterity bonus but not strength bonus.
    It's wise and smart to invest in either dexterity or strength and get the appropriate weapon eventually. You want the most damage for your buck (stat points) so focus on either strength (heavy, slow weapons with high damage) or dex weapons (fast, lower damage).
    The dex weapon is the more powerful weapon in New Game+ and beyond this has to do with the magic buffs but that would be too much for now ;)

    16 strength is a sweet spot. At that strength you can wield cool weapons, like the claymore, the halberd, cool shields like a very good black one, all normal dex bows, katanas and so on. But if you are into heavy hitting weapons like axes and hammers then use that - find out what melee style suits you.
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 13:44:27 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @evild_edd - listen to dan, basically :)

    Also, what are your current stats at the moment, what have you equipped, and what's your playstyle (fast dex, or heavy strength?)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 14:00:38 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Had no idea about poise. I assume that there's an enemy that can stun me coming up then, or are you talking about the general incidents when you momentarily recoil from a heavy blow?
    If you have enough poise you won't get stunned, if you have zero poise you'll get stunned by a simple dagger attack. Zero poise is for brave bastards who defy death or something like that - because you gonna die much more often, heh.

    It's very useful for the boss in the basement - you don't want to get stunned while fighting him - makes for a short battle in that pit of death. Just amping you up for it ;)
  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 14:03:02 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You'll get a chance to buy or find new spells. The number of casts are limited for now though.
  • evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 14:14:47 3,011 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks Dan!

    @quadfather:

    I'm not sure my play style has settled into anything approaching a rigid or deliberate approach. I'm still sort of testing out different approaches against different enemies. Generally though, I prefer to dodge rather than block attacks, and try to get in cheap shots and backstabs as often as possible. I'll throw in a few of the pyro fireballs in there as well if I'm really struggling. Beginning to think ranged combat is a waste of time...

    Stats:

    LVL 20

    Vit 15
    Att 12
    End 12
    Str 16 (which I'd rush-upgraded to wield my sword)
    Dex 14
    Res 12
    Int 10
    Fai 12 (also rush-upgraded for my healing spell)

    Equipment/Load:

    R1 Drake Sword
    R2 Short Bow +2 (firing standard arrows)
    L1 Red and White Round Shield
    L2 Pyromancy Flame
    Head - tattered cloth hood
    Body - tattered cloth robe
    Hands - tattered cloth Manchette
    Legs - none

    Ring 1 - Blue Tearstone Ring
    Ring 2 - Ring of Favour & Protection

    Magic #1 - Standard pyro flame
    Magic #2 - Heal (I have to equip a talisman for this, but not biggie as I usually use estus flasks mid-battle, and then spells for topping up after the dust has settled)

    All the armour sets I've picked seem really heavy so I've just stuck with the default ones.

    Any thoughts?

    Just realised that I have the following in my possession:
    7x Soul of lost undead
    5x Large soul of lost undead
    4x large soul of a nameless soldier

    Worth keeping these souls for a rainy day or should I just cash them in now?

    Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 14:18:57 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All the armour sets I've picked seem really heavy so I've just stuck with the default ones.
    If you want to be fast and yet have some poise if you need it then find that special forest item ;)

    You'll be about SL 80 when you finish the game - to give you an idea how to plan your stats.

    You sound like a dex player, maybe add a bow to your arsenal, how does become invisible sound to you? Or how about transforming into an object which fits in your environment and invaders running around trying to find you. You gonna be amazed with what cool things await you.

    Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 14:22:07 27-02-2013
  • spindle8888 27 Feb 2013 19:41:53 11 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lo folks, could do with a little advice from the more experienced amongst you. Having just beaten o+s into the ground on ng+ i find myself with a lot of souls (360k ish) and im not too sure what to bump up with em. Currantly running with the elite knight set( all at +8 or above) and mostly using bss +15 with a divine claymore stashed away for catacombs. My stats are a bit of a muddle though as this is the first char i rolled. Currantly sitting on

    Vit : 30
    Att : 12
    End : 31
    Str : 24
    Dex : 40
    Res : 11
    Int : 18
    Fai : 18

    any advice statwise would be much appreciated. Also is it worth the slab to upgrade the armour bits to +10 or would i be best saving them for wep upgrades?

    cheers
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 20:08:50 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Thanks Dan!

    @quadfather:

    I'm not sure my play style has settled into anything approaching a rigid or deliberate approach. I'm still sort of testing out different approaches against different enemies. Generally though, I prefer to dodge rather than block attacks, and try to get in cheap shots and backstabs as often as possible. I'll throw in a few of the pyro fireballs in there as well if I'm really struggling. Beginning to think ranged combat is a waste of time...

    Stats:

    LVL 20

    Vit 15
    Att 12
    End 12
    Str 16 (which I'd rush-upgraded to wield my sword)
    Dex 14
    Res 12
    Int 10
    Fai 12 (also rush-upgraded for my healing spell)

    Equipment/Load:

    R1 Drake Sword
    R2 Short Bow +2 (firing standard arrows)
    L1 Red and White Round Shield
    L2 Pyromancy Flame
    Head - tattered cloth hood
    Body - tattered cloth robe
    Hands - tattered cloth Manchette
    Legs - none

    Ring 1 - Blue Tearstone Ring
    Ring 2 - Ring of Favour & Protection

    Magic #1 - Standard pyro flame
    Magic #2 - Heal (I have to equip a talisman for this, but not biggie as I usually use estus flasks mid-battle, and then spells for topping up after the dust has settled)

    All the armour sets I've picked seem really heavy so I've just stuck with the default ones.

    Any thoughts?

    Just realised that I have the following in my possession:
    7x Soul of lost undead
    5x Large soul of lost undead
    4x large soul of a nameless soldier

    Worth keeping these souls for a rainy day or should I just cash them in now?
    Hm, ok. Well,

    1) Ranged attacks aren't a waste of time - they're really useful (imo)
    2) I'd swap out that red and white shield for something that provides 100% physical protection (Unless it does already?)
    3) Strength and dex are pretty much on the sweet spots where you can experiment with different weapons before you decide which path you want to go down
    4) I'd raise endurance a bit more
    5) Tattered manchette is good when upgraded.
    6) Keep the fap ring on
    7) I wouldn't level resistance anymore
    8) I'd start to experiment with different weapons with an idea to replace the drake sword. Drake sword is good at the start, but it soon becomes 2nd place to other, scaleable weapons

    Bout it really. Dan will chuck in his 2p's worth too, no doubt :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 20:10:54 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ad spindle

    If bss is the balder side sword then I'd go for a buff - either faith buffs or magic buffs. Faith is the better option for you in my view. If you get your faith up to 30 then you can use the sunlight blade miracle.

    Other than that I'd put points in vitality.

    The bss is a fast weapon, which is good for a strong buff because you get to hit more often with it than with a slow weapon. Other important stuff is the power within pyromancy, use it with a non upgraded pyro glove - that way you lose only little health but still get the maximum damage boost.

    It's all about damage, damage and staying alive (vitality).

    The further you advance in the NGs the more you'll rely on dodging so keep yourself below 25% weight in sections where you need to be fast.

    Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 20:14:20 27-02-2013

    Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 20:15:29 27-02-2013
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 20:14:49 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    spindle8888 wrote:
    Lo folks, could do with a little advice from the more experienced amongst you. Having just beaten o+s into the ground on ng+ i find myself with a lot of souls (360k ish) and im not too sure what to bump up with em. Currantly running with the elite knight set( all at +8 or above) and mostly using bss +15 with a divine claymore stashed away for catacombs. My stats are a bit of a muddle though as this is the first char i rolled. Currantly sitting on

    Vit : 30
    Att : 12
    End : 31
    Str : 24
    Dex : 40
    Res : 11
    Int : 18
    Fai : 18

    any advice statwise would be much appreciated. Also is it worth the slab to upgrade the armour bits to +10 or would i be best saving them for wep upgrades?

    cheers
    Well, looking at your stats, you're dex orientated with the 40 dex and the bss. Plus you've got 18 int for some spells. What you could do, (if you fancy it) is to upgrade attunement some more (to say, 16 or so) to get some more spell slots. Then pump int a bit.

    I say this, because you could then eventually change the bss to an enchanted bss, which will scale A with int. Plus you'll have some kickass spells to boot. Plus, with 40 dex, it increases your casting speed.

    However, if you don't fancy magic/enchanted weapon, you could go str, as you're not that far behind with 24. Or maybe an upgraded halberd that takes both str and dex into account.

    Personally, I upgrade weapons to 15 first with the slabs, then armour afterwards. Depends how you play though - I play light and nimble and roll more than I am stoic. How do you play?

    Edited by quadfather at 20:15:21 27-02-2013

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 20:16:12 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    heh, both completely different types of advice from dan and me, typical :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 20:32:04 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    haha, yeah :)

    He could change to enchanted bss but that's an NewGame weapon not for NG+. That one's about physical weapon + buff.

    Magic spells are very powerful but you have to like that playstyle.
    Also he'd have to reach 40 int and beyond - that'd take quite some time. Also he'd have to invest a few points in attunement.
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 20:38:14 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Suppose yeah. What do you use for ng+ then?

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 20:40:17 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A fast physical damage weapon + a buff + power within = Damage monster.
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 20:41:09 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    right. dex + buff then.

    maybe if I stopped rolling new characters, I could experiment more in ng+ :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 20:42:04 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also a fast weapon is much lighter than a heavy hitter which is quite important after the DLC patch and the end of DWGR's reign.
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 20:46:53 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Funny you should say that - I loaded up an old prepatch character with the dwgr and had to give it a complete makeover to get it flipping again. I think I prefer nimble and light characters overall nowadays in general

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • spindle8888 27 Feb 2013 20:50:15 11 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A few points in attunment certainly wouldnt be a bad idea, ive only got the pyro glove ascended to +2ish i think, the lady did a good job of hiding on my first runthrough. Im kinda regretting the 26 str, i tried out artorias sword for a bit but it seemed pretty underwhelming at +4.

    On the subject of buffs ive played around with greater magic wep(i think) but didnt notice a huge difference in damage per hit, presumably this would go up if i raised the respective stat?

    @quad my playstyle seems to be a bit of a mix, ive been using the silver knights shield to tank but am quite comfortable dodging also, using havels ring to stay under 50% load might not be ideal later on but ive been stuck with it forever now it seems like :p

    id spotted the ninja flip ring and was planning on tryin that out with a set of light armour but sadly mucked up killing shiva in blightown, i shouldnt be playing and watching snooker at the same time.
  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 20:51:05 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The way it's supposed to be played.
  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 20:55:14 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The greater magic weapon buff gives you about 200 magic damage bonus. In later games your enemies have at least 200 magic defenese - so pretty useless.
    A sunlight blade buff at faith 30 yields above 300 damage and at faith 50 you get above 400 damage added. That's the way to go for melee. If you want to try attack magic spells then go down the magic path.
  • spindle8888 27 Feb 2013 20:57:34 11 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I briefly played around with the magic spears but hated the cast time with a passion so i think il be tryin the faith route instead, im finding it difficult enough to judge the pyro cast times/ ranges without mixing more in :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 21:02:20 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's all in the wrist with magic ;)

    Melee and dodging is a much better experience in the game. Standing there and spamming magic is missing the point of the game a bit in my views.

    That being said it's fun to have a specialized wizard who can almost oneshot O&S respectively with the right equipment and buffs. Is a nice helper at low levels for other chaps.
  • spindle8888 27 Feb 2013 21:04:45 11 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aye it does seem to take a bit of the tension out of fights, that said, i really wouldnt like to try Manus as a relativly pure caster type
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 21:21:27 11,823 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I've forgotten what should be used/done in NG+. I really need to practice again

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Page

    of 1193 First / Last

Log in or register to reply