Dark Souls Page 732

• Page

of 1218 First / Last

• Puppaz 26 Feb 2013 15:20:27 337 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @puddleduck Woah! I never knew that :D I love this game...
    I assumed it *had* to be a gravelord enemy as there was one sending stuff into my game at the time.
    Weird.
    Ohhh I want to play again now. Logged in last night but met a hacking lame chap who put me off.
  • SparkyMarky81 26 Feb 2013 16:20:06 567 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck

I went into Dark Souls as a complete noob and went down the magic route and I found it fairly easy going as you get Soul Arrows which do decent damage early on, and most importantly, enable you to keep your distance from enemies.

It gets even easier later in the game once you have got Homing Crystal Soul Mass and Crystal Soul Spear. None of the later bosses lasted long against me! :)

Now I've started a new game with a strength character and I think the up close and personal combat is way tougher on newcomers, but probably makes you a better all round player.

YMMV

Edited by SparkyMarky81 at 16:21:10 26-02-2013
  • RedSparrows 26 Feb 2013 18:26:09 24,222 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, after stabbing Bercow in the ass (neither the Speaker, nor his fragrant wife, but the armoured horsebearcowpig thing), I trot on up steps, fight my first bigger knights, get more annoyed at the spear knights than them, and explore. I see many routes.

I venture into a church. 3 big knights. Take them out one by one. Then... what's that? Holy fuck he has a big mace. Not going that way! I remember a side door to the church. My gf is watching my at this point.

'I don't wanna go in to that church! It's got a big fuckoff maceman in it!
    'Pussy', she sneers.
    'OK, am trying this side door. It's on a much higher level than the other door, so perhaps I'm on the right track to avoid him?'

I sneak in. Look right, look left... all clear... look left, look right. AHMAGAWD THERE HE IS AIIII

We shriek in unison and run out the Church (whilst under fire from some other bastard in the rafters). I peg it pronto, whilst he's just behind. I got back to main entrance, dash in, nick whatever the hell he was guarding, and then peg it back to the bonfire.

I realise he might not have been that tough, but the feeling of fear and imminent doom was overpowering. Great fun.
  • quadfather 26 Feb 2013 18:30:21 13,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RedSparrows - heh, brilliant! You did well to get the item. Valuable, that.

He's quite intimidating isn't he :)

I'm really looking forward to hearing more of these kinda tales, because I reckon you'll be pooing it soon :)

It's the heavy thump of their feet as theyre chasing you that shits me up the most

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• RedSparrows 26 Feb 2013 18:35:26 24,222 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It has a similar awful sense of oppression as Far Cry 2, but is actually scary also, as the personal danger is so much higher. Me love already.

Edited by RedSparrows at 18:35:48 26-02-2013
  • TOOTR 26 Feb 2013 18:47:23 9,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• quadfather 26 Feb 2013 19:07:59 13,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RedSparrows - it gets better too. It has a fantastic risk/reward setup. You'll be at a point, loads of souls on you, thinking, "shall I go and level up, or just see what's round this corner...". Tense as fuck sometimes.

And the more souls you get, the more prizes you get, but the riskier it is :)

• quadfather 26 Feb 2013 19:14:50 13,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fucks sake. Just when I think it's safe to move on from dark souls, someone gets it and then I get interested again and roll another character :)

• mumtoucher 26 Feb 2013 19:18:14 299 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've done it. Onto ng+.... my final scrap with Gwyn was so epic I literally punched the air when he went down.. I know I've said it on here before very recently but what a game. My Fav this generation by far.

I'm level 81 on ng+ things seem a little easy, am I right in thinking this will change later on?
  • quadfather 26 Feb 2013 19:25:45 13,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mumtoucher - congratulations!

It'll be easy for a while. But only a while. I'd enjoy it while you can!

• Dangerous_Dan 26 Feb 2013 19:32:26 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mumtoucher wrote:

I'm level 81 on ng+ things seem a little easy, am I right in thinking this will change later on?
    The real Dark Souls starts here.

Wait for the 4K boss - that will be your first true test in NG+ , besides the DLC content. Things really get interesting in NG++ and onwards, then you have to get good at dodging with some bosses.
  • RedSparrows 26 Feb 2013 23:07:39 24,222 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gargoyles? More like wimpering, broken vermin in the face of my wrath.*

*May have taken 10 attempts and much cursing.

FUCK. YOU. was my immediate reaction.
  • puddleduck 26 Feb 2013 23:16:11 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RedSparrows

In the church... maybe there was some kind of contraption near the big guy with a mace? Might lead somewhere familiar.... then when it does try giving the item he was guarding to someone... DO NOT CONSUME IT!!
  • xero521 27 Feb 2013 00:29:32 216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally completed dark souls after two years of owning the game and 70 + hours playing even with a guide,feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders lol wot an experience it was. What is the new game plus all about?
  • puddleduck 27 Feb 2013 00:32:56 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @xero521

Game starts again, but enemies are 40% harder. In reality, you breeze through the first half, and it starts to get difficult again around O and S/4K onwards. Then with each subsequent Ng+ it's another percentage increase in difficulty. With enemies hitting harder and harder, you eventually find silly mistakes are once again punished by death, and certain bosses require you to actually learn their movesets and dodge a lot of their attacks. Also allows you to actually platinum the game should you so wish, as a couple of the trophies (like the all weapons one) require you to get Sif's soul 3 times to create the 3 unique weapons fromit.
  • evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 08:50:19 3,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Progress update:

Character's now at (about) level 20

I've rung the first bell (gargoyles killed on 2nd attempt - like a boss!)

Irked by a lying knight (Lautrec) who didn't cough up a promised reward for freeing him, I hit him not realising you could wound/kill NPCs. Cue battle between me and him which I narrowly won, earning a shed-load of humanity and a ring (friendship & humanity or something) which it looks like I can't ever take off.

Note: worried that I'd sodded up my playthrough, I checked the wiki and apparently Lautrec would've coughed up a reward but turned evil, or something. Not entirely sure whether my actions were for the best as it now sounds like I've lost the opportunity to gain access to later equipment. Perhaps there are no 'right' ways to approach things in Dark Souls..?

Question: Generally speaking, is it a good idea to attack the NPCs? There's a sinister, chuckling priest in the first bell tower I've half a mind to introduce to my blade...

Opened up a new shortcut to the starting area, Firelink Shrine(?), and upgraded my estus (sp?) flask.

Now about to head out into the wood/forest area which I've only tentatively explored thus far. Still not dared to go back anywhere near that dragon on the bridge...

Apologies for my vagueness when it comes to names; I'm still learning the world of Dark Souls.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 08:59:40 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Explore the forest, there are nice items to be found. Don't worry about the lying Mr. L, good for you that you killed him. Put on that ring it's the best ring in the game. You'll be fine with it.

Check your keys, do you know what each key opens? Also, did you check all the doors up so far, if you can open now? Buy the keys from the undead merchant as well if you haven't yet.

Do the forest bit for now, but don't try to progress if you feel like hitting a wall. Which is not to say that there aren't walls to hit with your sword in that forest for you.
  • evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 09:15:28 3,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

Good reminder on the keys - I selected the master key as my starting item, and bought other keys from vendors so have unlocked most things. I used one to unlock the basement in the undead burg (near that dragon), but stepping into the area I was met with a load of warnings about bleeding out so backtacked as I had too many souls to worth risking reckless progress.

Speaking of souls, I splashed 20k of them on the blacksmith's forest key thing. having just opened that, I'm currently saved at the neighbouring bonfire behind the false wall

Think I'll that's the next area I'll explore, or perhaps I should go back to that basement? Hmmm....decisions, decisions.

Why look, it's a blog:

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 09:19:02 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @evild_edd Forest boss will be tricky but maybe you can find someone who helps you with it, you know how it is, the forest is full with magical creatures.

The basement... Remember the guy sitting at the bonfire when you arrived with crowlines? He was talking about 2 bells. One above and one...
  • quadfather 27 Feb 2013 09:25:17 13,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Gargoyles? More like wimpering, broken vermin in the face of my wrath.*

*May have taken 10 attempts and much cursing.

FUCK. YOU. was my immediate reaction.
    Correct reaction

Going to have to re-iterate what puddleduck said - that item you got near the mace armoured bloke (firekeepers soul) - do not consume it. Give it to someone instead.

Did you get the pine resin in the end? And have you come across summoning NPC's? (You can only see their summon sign if you're in human form, so you may not have come across them yet)

• evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 09:44:08 3,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right then - it sounds like a trip back to undead burg and the basement then :0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 09:49:18 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Right then - it sounds like a trip back to undead burg and the basement then :0)
    There is an item in the forest which could help you a lot with the horrors of the basement...
  • evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 10:00:29 3,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    There is an item in the forest which could help you a lot with the horrors of the basement...
    Arrrrrrrgh!?!??!?!!!

Too much bloody choice! I'll have a scour of the forest first then. I hope you're not suggesting I tackle the hydra that I saw in the distance (and steered well clear of!)

Edited by evild_edd at 10:00:50 27-02-2013

Why look, it's a blog:

• Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 10:23:59 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nothing you can't handle with a +5 sword, you just have to explore and cut your way through that jungle.
  • FanBoysSuck 27 Feb 2013 10:38:04 1,540 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SparkyMarky81 Ah sounds like pure faith may be the only turkey then. Saying that I got the crescent axe last night and after getting my stats up to use it properly it seems like I'll be using until the end of my current play through.

Good luck with that second character, melee is how you play Dark Souls properly ;)

For the emperor!

• ZuluHero 27 Feb 2013 11:04:58 4,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    Speaking of souls, I splashed 20k of them on the blacksmith's forest key thing. having just opened that, I'm currently saved at the neighbouring bonfire behind the false wall
    As far as story progression goes it's too early to be going in there.

There is another reason to go in there at this stage but that would spoil things. ;)
    You dont actually need the key at all, there are other ways. Just makes it a bit quicker.
  • Dangerous_Dan 27 Feb 2013 11:30:05 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd not go in there right now, probably after ringing the second bell, maybe even after doing Oliver & Stanley.
  • evild_edd 27 Feb 2013 11:40:45 3,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

Wait, wait, wait......

So you're suggesting I explore the forest but not the bit through the door I unlocked with the blacksmith's crest/whateveritwas...right?

/confusion reigns.

Why look, it's a blog:

• Page

of 1218 First / Last