Dark Souls Page 723

• Page

of 1201 First / Last

• Lotos8ter 9 Feb 2013 12:26:37 2,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I might start a resistance build :)
    I think I'll start a One-Hit-Kill Build (for bosses). Looks a bit of a faff gear wise but a good laugh.

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 9 Feb 2013 12:31:38 12,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    I might start a resistance build :)
    I think I'll start a One-Hit-Kill Build (for bosses). Looks a bit of a faff gear wise but a good laugh.
    Won't that just be pure int with the associated int gear?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• teamHAM 9 Feb 2013 12:38:56 2,931 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I already have a OHK build. It's not that fun.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Lotos8ter 9 Feb 2013 13:33:21 2,358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That Vageta fella on Youtube posted a challenge on his channel. He joined the Dragon Covenant, farmed 30 D. scales then got Power Within and a few other gubbins. Looked ok but I take your point.
    I tried a speed run but I'm not built for speed and I never got the Bk Knight Halberd drop that seems to be an essential part.

Fiat Lux

• teamHAM 9 Feb 2013 13:44:46 2,931 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's just my opinion of course, some people may love it.

I just feel that it's a little too easy in this game to get immensely overpowered if you are willing to go down a specific class role and wear specific gear. With the right spells, gear and buffs, which are pretty easy to get, you can almost one shot anything in the entire game.

I just don't find that particularly fun. Goes back to being Skyrim then where everything is too easy.

I'd much rather mess around with normal type builds and try crazy or cool things like bow builds, fist builds, bleed builds, no shield builds, black knight builds, and so on and still have a challenge rather than crow about being able to smash everything in one hit. Since I made that build I hardly play her anymore.

Edited by teamHAM at 13:45:58 09-02-2013

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• quadfather 9 Feb 2013 14:46:07 12,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Resistance build using fists only!

• Architect_z 9 Feb 2013 14:54:08 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @teamHAM - I was just thinking the same. I can't think of anything more boring than a one-hit-kill build.

I can't get into being a mage build either, just seems abit lame. I have a faith build, but I find miracles (in most cases) provide buffs and powerups. With a magic build, alot of it is simply casting spells at things until they die.
  • Architect_z 9 Feb 2013 14:54:34 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather - I think you should try and complete the game using only shields
  • quadfather 9 Feb 2013 15:03:34 12,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, even my pure mage uses an enchanted bss most of the time

Hmm, wonder how much damage a fully upgraded elemental havel shield does? :)

• SYS64738 9 Feb 2013 15:28:42 1,660 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    On NG+ for a while now, working on the unique weapons trophy. Am on SL119 now, and only miss those bits that I can get through NG++. Do you guys think that that level is high enough to jump into NG++? Am worried that some of the boss fights towards getting to the Giant Blacksmith will be hard as nails (so far on NG+ only O&S were tough so I had to get some help).

Only need one more Titanite Slab that I'll get in Kalameet's area for the Lightning Weapon trophy... and once I get all unique weapons DS Platinum is mine:)

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Dr_Mech 9 Feb 2013 18:20:41 1,023 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Even in NG++ the early fights are pretty much a joke. All the bosses you'll meet up until O&S will be ridiculously easy and I started it about 115 so you should be ok.

However the later fights and especially the DLC fights get a lot harder. NG++ is about when elemental and magical resistances on bosses being to show.

Everything in the DLC is quite resiliant to magic and elemental damage but has no resistances to physical damage like most of the normal game bosses do. For all but one of the fights you can keep up the tanking (the bonus boss really punishes slow movement/roll speed)

Heck even the final boss of the DLC took me three tries solo compared to the fuck-knows how many tries it took on my caster because I could block his huge damage combo and with Havel's greatshield block a large chunk of his magic attacks with barely any effort.

Sorcery is ridiculously OP against bosses in normal game (Homing Crystal Soul Mass can usually three or four shot a boss if you use the caster nuke equipment and spell loadout) but suffers massively in the DLC (where Homing Crystal Soulmass does fuckall damage) compared to strength builds which have a tougher time in normal game and a much easier time in the DLC.

I only need a couple more items to get the Knight's Honor achievement myself...which means grinding Channelers...ech...

quadfather wrote:
    Yeah, even my pure mage uses an enchanted bss most of the time

Hmm, wonder how much damage a fully upgraded elemental havel shield does? :)
    Remember Havel's doesn't have a slam attack, the strong attack gives you a buff similar to Iron Flesh at the cost of a massive amount of durability use. The Greatshield of Artorias does around...130-150 damage using the slam attack.

Dual Bonewheels and Armour of Thorns...call it the Wheel Skeleton build.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 18:24:37 09-02-2013

Edited by Dr_Mech at 18:26:05 09-02-2013
  • SYS64738 9 Feb 2013 18:36:42 1,660 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks Dr_Mech, good to know. Still playing with my tank char, got it to SL126 now and wiping the floor with enemies/bosses thanks to my new best friend the Black Knight Greatsword+5. I want to try and max more weapons, played almost entirely with the Black Knight Sword+5 as that for me seemed the most hard-hitting yet comfortable weapon to use; but after a year of playing the game (on and off) I'm still amazed by the sheer amount of gear on offer and the depth of combat that brings to the table. Game of this gen for me.

Have my VIT up to 38 now, END/STR both 40, DEX 25 and FAI 29. Trying to build faith a bit more now. Is there much more point in levelling END/STR beyond 40 (apart from wielding some of the weapons)?

By the way I grinded the Channelers last night, took me between 10-15 runs in Duke's Archive. What I found worse was grinding the silver knights in Anor, took ages (and about 200k souls of farming) until they dropped the goods.

Edited by SYS64738 at 18:38:19 09-02-2013

• puddleduck 9 Feb 2013 19:41:47 1,853 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah Armour of Thorns with spiked shield would be your best bet for a shield only build I'd have thought.
  • FanBoysSuck 9 Feb 2013 22:03:26 1,482 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got the platinum today at SL159 with 3 and a half play thoughts. Flipping heck NG plus plus is punishing towards the end. Even with maxed out giant armour I was getting killed in 2 hits. What a feeling though, mastering one of the hardest games I've ever played!

I might start again at some point just to see what some of the other builds can do.

It's really cool seeing how the game changes on each playthrough. Resistance become useful once you've maxed your damage stat with end and vit. You don't get bonus resistance on level up after a certain point!

For the emperor!

• Dr_Mech 10 Feb 2013 17:35:14 1,023 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks to Elathron for dumping the items I needed on me and helping me beat Seath (because if they've been summoned, might as well do a boss) even if I preformed horribly.

Not use to him doing his tail slams when I park in that nook inbetween one of the side tentacles and the chest due to someone being behind him caught me out...the other two times I died were just me being shit.

Just Crescent Axe and the Gravelord sword left to get which I can pick up easily on my way down to Nito. Will finish the game once more on my Strength/Faith character and call them done. Will do the same with my caster and call that one done as well.

Will probably look to trying something different. Since my caster is int/Dex and my tank Str/Faith might look into a pure pyromancy onebro build and see how far I can get.
  • SYS64738 10 Feb 2013 18:18:02 1,660 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Last step to get the Platinum today was to create the uncursed Greatsword of Artorias. Or so I thought... turns out I made a mistake and should've created the Greatshield of Artorias instead... Now I have 3 Greatswords, and no chance of getting the Platinum until I beat the game on NG++ and beat Sif AGAIN on NG+++.

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTED

Think I have to put this game aside for a while and re-evaluate my stance towards stupid gaming trophies:(

Edited by SYS64738 at 18:20:17 10-02-2013

• puddleduck 10 Feb 2013 20:10:01 1,853 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are you playing on dude? What SL are you? If it's a console I'm sure either Ela or myself could drop you another soul of Sif or two ;)
  • SYS64738 10 Feb 2013 21:51:06 1,660 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Playing on PS3, SL around 130ish. Would be lovely if either of you could do that;)

• puddleduck 10 Feb 2013 22:29:43 1,853 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, add BunDerJay, I have a SL124 with a few spare Sif souls lying around. Will try and get on either lateish this evening or tomorrow evening :)

Just seen the time. Will have to be tomorrow evening I think. Unless you're likely to be about at 1am.

Edited by puddleduck at 22:30:23 10-02-2013
  • FanBoysSuck 10 Feb 2013 22:35:46 1,482 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Na No kuni's combat is pissing me off so I've started a new character, I'm going for faith/strength(started Cleric). Any weapon recommendations? I'm using the Astora's straight sword at the moment and I'm thinking of using an occult/divine longsword in the long run. Any other suggestions? I want to focus mainly on faith, I want to end up being a tank with a lightning cannon :D

For the emperor!

• SYS64738 10 Feb 2013 22:37:57 1,660 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks puddleduck, appreciate it. Just sent you a friend request. Tomorrow sounds good, I should be online most of the evening til about 11pm unless something else comes up.

• EMarkM 10 Feb 2013 22:45:27 3,173 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Killed that sorcerer fellow up on the balcony in the cathedral. Only took a few shots from my short bow +5, from down on the ground floor. However, his magic took me out at the same time, so I couldn't run up and see if he dropped anything.

Had one crack at the two gargoyles but got battered and had to leave it at that point.
  • Architect_z 11 Feb 2013 08:36:38 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    turns out I made a mistake and should've created the Greatshield of Artorias instead... Now I have 3 Greatswords, and no chance of getting the Platinum until I beat the game on NG++ and beat Sif AGAIN on NG+++.

:(
    I did the same, I ended up making 2 cursed greatswords. So I had to get to Sif again. :(
    The worst one to get (imo) was Priscillas dagger. I don't know how Priscilla works, on one of the times I fought her she was invisible for the entire fight, never became visable.

The last trophy I needed was a spell from the n00b mage next to logan at the firelink. You just have to kill him for the spell. What a trophy to finish on. Crush a dude, loot his corpse. PLATINUM!!!
  • quadfather 11 Feb 2013 10:34:07 12,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Killed that sorcerer fellow up on the balcony in the cathedral. Only took a few shots from my short bow +5, from down on the ground floor. However, his magic took me out at the same time, so I couldn't run up and see if he dropped anything.

Had one crack at the two gargoyles but got battered and had to leave it at that point.
    If you make sure you're human when you approach the gargoyles, you'll see a sign on the ground just before you go through the fog gate. It'll help a lot. As will coating your weapon in some pine resin too

• quadfather 11 Feb 2013 10:36:07 12,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    Na No kuni's combat is pissing me off so I've started a new character, I'm going for faith/strength(started Cleric). Any weapon recommendations? I'm using the Astora's straight sword at the moment and I'm thinking of using an occult/divine longsword in the long run. Any other suggestions? I want to focus mainly on faith, I want to end up being a tank with a lightning cannon :D
    You're doing what I'm doing - I've just rolled a cleric and doing the same. Currently using astora +3, but it might be time to change soon.

I'm mulling over the divine claymore and the divine halberd at the moment. Haven't used a halberd for ages, so might go with that

Oh and while I'm at it, Nito can FUCK OFF. Yes, FUCK OFF NITO you FUCK.

• Elathron 11 Feb 2013 10:44:33 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech -n
    Just Crescent Axe and the Gravelord sword left to get
    Hehe, why didn't you say!!!! I there anything else that you particularly need buddy? If you're up for it I'm looking for a duels partner for the arena thingamy?

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Elathron 11 Feb 2013 11:00:10 1,189 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck - Grant is a weapon to look out for (so long as you don't mind a lightly armoured character brandishing a lump of blessed rock 'onna stick') but most other weapons are good for faith enchanting. Best option for NG+ and beyond is to have one +14/15 regular weapon to buff, and a pre-enchanted weapon as back-up. I like the Greatscythe (occult/divine) as it's great for both PvE and PvP, but that's dex... So I guess you'll want to use something like the Zwei or the Greatsword - the reason I mention these is that they have fairly similar DPS to the Demon weapons, but they only weigh half as much. You know, i'ts a shame they removed the Elite Cleric set, but a bonus that one of my buddies dropped me the full +10 set. The weight is almost the same as the normal cleric set but the defences are about +10/20% better...

Edited by Elathron at 11:02:29 11-02-2013

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• FanBoysSuck 11 Feb 2013 11:04:57 1,482 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    You're doing what I'm doing - I've just rolled a cleric and doing the same. Currently using astora +3, but it might be time to change soon.

I'm mulling over the divine claymore and the divine halberd at the moment. Haven't used a halberd for ages, so might go with that

Oh and while I'm at it, Nito can FUCK OFF. Yes, FUCK OFF NITO you FUCK.
    I'm upgrading my longsword in preparation for getting the Diving ember. the ASS is pretty good at the moment (helping people with the gargoyles so I can join the sun bros') but I can see it falling by the wayside quickly due to the scaling.

I went to get the elite knight set and I'm finding it funny how people just stand there starting as I run in shrugging off all the hits and one shoting everything on the way to the boss!

One more summoning and I can start the next phase of operation lightning tank!

P.s for Nito just stand and heal as soon as you fall into his room. Kill the Skeletons with a divine weapon and allow Nito to come to you. Doing this makes him one of the easiest bosses out of the final 4. You probably know this already but I though it would be worth mentioning ;)

For the emperor!

• quadfather 11 Feb 2013 11:13:07 12,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I always struggle with nito for some reason. I fall in, immediately heal, and then he ALWAYS does the scream spike attack which I ALWAYS fail to avoid. Then, if I miraculously kill the skeletons, nito hugs me and blasts me back each time. I don't even have enough time to swing a weapon/fire off a fireball before the twat's on me, or I'm constantly surrounded by large skeletons. It's always fucking large skeletons.

I swear I have a different version of dark souls to you lot :)

And Leeroy fell off the cliff like a twat, and when I quit/reload, the grant wasn't there.

Great.

Fucked this character then :)

• FanBoysSuck 11 Feb 2013 11:32:49 1,482 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather If you're getting attacked by large skeletons you're going too far into the chamber.You shouldn't face anymore than a few normal skeletons then let him hobble round. Keep him around the area you drop into and that tactic will work every time. You're fucked as soon as the big skeletons join the fun ;)

For the emperor!

• Page

of 1201 First / Last