Dark Souls Page 713

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• Elathron 1 Feb 2013 10:41:44 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Why the Claymore especially though? I know it's a jack of all trades but it's lost one of it's main benefits in the last patch... The stun that it used to inflict so well is now harder to achieve due to a slower R1 swing :( I'll admit that it's still a great backup weapon initially but you might find that the haldberd or the scythe (great or normal) are more effective at dealing with single or multiple targets... Plus the great-scythe builds bleed...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 1 Feb 2013 10:49:33 11,811 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have to say that halberds are superb weapons. Might grab the parish one for my strength build actually

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Architect_z 1 Feb 2013 10:54:11 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @hypoBla5t - My best character is a faith/dex hybrid. A strength/faith hybrid would be good, but they require more skill in melee combat as you don't get the miracle speed boost from levelling up dexterity.

Occult Claymore+5 is a decent weapon. Make it a devine+5 until you've completed the catacombs.
    As for Talismans, canvas talis is good, people will hate me for this, but killing knight solaire gives you a really good talisman. The best Talisman you can aquire is the darkmoon talisman, and it is more effective if your faith is about hmmm more than 30? or so.

Make sure you read up on how to aquire some of the miracles, as you can miss a vital opportunity to aquire some decent ones during your playthrough.

Hope this helps ^_^
  • Architect_z 1 Feb 2013 10:56:11 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I never used to think much of the claymore, but I win alot of PvP using it, if someone with light armour is blocking too much, you've practically won, you just spam the attack button. lol
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 12:11:50 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is why I think they should increase the attack speed of the flamberge & the other slashing great-swords - the claymore becomes the only viable option due to its versatility. I like the idea of the flamberge, but the crappy speed means it stuns no-one and regularly gets parried.
    A weapon that I have come to love however.... And it never gets mentioned... Is the Warpick. Although the attack is quite generic, the fact that it's a thrusting weapon means that you can peel open the tanks while they struggle to work out exactly what weapon it is that you're using. At +15 it's a very good can opener and I recommend it for a hornet ring use looking for something which does a little more hurt...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Architect_z 1 Feb 2013 12:48:49 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think i've ever used the Warpick. Might have to give it a go.
    For PvP, I normally use the standard weapons occult claymore, shotel, balder side sword, occult rapier.

But theres a few weapons i've tried using for sh*ts and giggles. Claws being one (theyre not very good), gold tracer is actually really good but also kinda cheap. I do love scythes, gargoyle halberd is sweet too. ^_^
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 12:58:52 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And the pointless weapon of my day goes to... The Lucerne. Absolutely useless... It's designed to hook Knights off their horses at a distance (in RL). There're no mounted uniys in DaS so it fails haha.

Edited by Elathron at 12:59:39 01-02-2013

• puddleduck 1 Feb 2013 13:07:18 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm, perhaps a mounted enemy would be cool in DS2.

After having another kiln based session last night I'm back in the groove again. Still too many gankers for my liking considering how long it's been out, but nonetheless I was back to winning the vast majority of my battles. Starting to really like the Iaito/Moonlight Spear combo. Great for whitling down enemies health when they're tanking and then switching it up with the roll and slash of the Iaito. Some people just don't know what to do when you start using a spear :p
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 13:20:20 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @puddleduck - What's the Kiln like now then? Before it was a bit messy, like you say, the 3 gankers waiting to slay anyone who invades is pretty annoying. Where's the fun and satisfaction in it I wonder? Guessing they're all squeeky kids who find any win is better than having their unskilled asses handed to them on a spikey plate...

• teamHAM 1 Feb 2013 13:26:56 2,743 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Elathron

You about tonight buddy? I will try to get on but I've just been told I am to be without hot water and Central Heating for the next few days so not sure if I will be able to as I will need to sort my youngest out. No heating for a toddler in the depths of winter = not ideal. Might send him to his grandparents.

So might be on if I can, might not.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Elathron 1 Feb 2013 13:33:33 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM I'll be on tonight m8, I might be CoD-ing it for a while but if you're on then give me a holler and I'll load up the Dark side if the Moon :cool:

• Architect_z 1 Feb 2013 13:43:46 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - I'll take you up on your pointless weapon challenge! I will invade and defeat someone with the Lucerne!

Any other pointless weapons I could try? ^_^
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 13:55:20 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Architect_z - :lol: Erm. Yeah, there's always the good old whips, but I wouldn't advise anyone to try them except for in kinky videos involving the Chaos Maiden/Illusory Godess...

• puddleduck 1 Feb 2013 14:00:10 1,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Elathron

Mostly I was just invading with the Blue Eye Orb and it was generally pretty busy. A lot of people trying to nail me as I spawn whilst they just stood waiting, but a few decent honourable fights with duels and rematches. Seeing a fair few dark magic users, although since this is my Darkmoon I'm slowly levelling up faith to 24 to randomly carry great magic barrier around for amusement purposes heh
  • SomaticSense 1 Feb 2013 14:02:44 7,930 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Lucerne ('Lucy'), is an incredible weapon. It is a halberd-class weapon which can be used in conjunction with the Leo Ring, so has unique boss destroying potential.

edit: Stupid auto-emote bullshit...

Edited by SomaticSense at 14:05:00 01-02-2013
  • Architect_z 1 Feb 2013 14:11:03 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @puddleduck - I invade in the painted world, you start on the bridge right at the start of the area. If someones stood on there, you've normally had it. People stand there, wait for you to spawn, then dark magic>dark magic>dark magic>shotel through shield to finish you off.

I think for dark souls 2, when you spawn, you should spawn with an explosion, and rise through the ashes to fight your opponent. ^_^
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 14:12:52 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @SomaticSense - Indeed it does, however; the attack speed is kinda slow and the bosses take advatage of the slow swing time. In terms of DPS you'd be better off 2 handing a pike or the halberd (the latter of which is also a thrusting/regular weapon but has a faster 2H R1 attack than the Lucerne). Don't get me wrong, it does have it's uses, but when you think that the Greatscythe is just below it in the level, it becomes the lesser of the 2 choices (IMO that is :lol: ).

• Elathron 1 Feb 2013 14:14:25 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have found in the Kiln that if you hang around the other end, then you spawn next to the Black Knight on the support for the Kiln... Same as in Darkroot, if you hang around Sif, you'll start on the bridge leading to him.

Edited by Elathron at 14:14:37 01-02-2013

• Dr_Mech 1 Feb 2013 14:21:18 995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    And the pointless weapon of my day goes to... The Lucerne. Absolutely useless... It's designed to hook Knights off their horses at a distance (in RL). There're no mounted uniys in DaS so it fails haha.
    Actually seen a letsplay of the Lucerne used very effectively, the two handed R2 is basically the same as the Silver Knight spear BUT it hits twice (like the Silver Knights do but when used by a player the silver Knight spear only hits once) and it hits 360 degrees around you with decent range.

Was hitting for around 400 damage in an AoE cleave and the guy had fairly meh stats IIRC.

The Lucerne is a good room clearer, not so great on single targets. The Great Scythe has almost as good room clearance with the two handed R2 but that is only 180 degrees however a +15 Great Scythe will probably hit harder.

For shits and giggles decided to see how quickly I can clear NG+ on my Sorcerer, while no world record beating speed run by any stretch of the imagination I got all the way upto Anor Londo plus killed Sif, Moonlight Butterfly and Four Kings in about an hour and 30 minutes.

That sorcery combo, even without the TCC, is a boss killer, capable of wiping out most bosses encountered so far in 2 minutes (and that was only because I had to wait around for each of the Four Kings to spawn) or less (Record so far is Sif in 20 seconds).

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:25:33 01-02-2013
  • quadfather 1 Feb 2013 14:24:29 11,811 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - I reckon my personal best for fastest boss kill is the tower knight in demon's souls, with a dex based char using the upgraded winged spear. I didn't time it, but it's got to be less than a minute

You've started me off now :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Elathron 1 Feb 2013 14:28:04 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - OK, well. I'll see if I can knock up a quick build to use it tonight... Leo Ring all the way and try to make him look like a man-at-arms (who were the traditional users of the weapon). Thoughts on the armour for that?

• Dr_Mech 1 Feb 2013 14:28:28 995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was just surprised at how much raw damage the combo puts out (full hit is over 2000 damage per casting of Crystal homing Soulmass) and that is without the DLC sorcery Purserers which, apparently, when used instead of Crystal Homing Soulmass can two shot any boss.

Elathron wrote:
    @Dr_Mech - OK, well. I'll see if I can knock up a quick build to use it tonight... Leo Ring all the way and try to make him look like a man-at-arms (who were the traditional users of the weapon). Thoughts on the armour for that?
    Hmm...

Looks like you could probably use the Baulder Helm and the rest of the regular Knight set from that drawing, nothing too fancy.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:31:01 01-02-2013
  • onestepfromlost 1 Feb 2013 14:32:57 2,039 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ok so towards the end og my fist playthrough just got he kiln to do, so going about kindling bonfires and upgrading weapons before i head to NG+, but i think i still totally suck at pvp, basically anyone ive fought has mauled me so ive started thinking about what weapons etc. i should be using. im pondering on using the lifehunt scythe, if i wear the bloodbite ring does it remove the bleed damage i receive or at least majorly lessen it? anyone got experience of using it?
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 14:36:55 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - Was thinking that, the chain chest-piece would probs work too. Give him a Heater/Cadacus Shield and that'll sort that element out. The helmet could also be the undead soldier's I suppose but the Balder Knight would be better for the defence. Or maybe even the Black Iron Helm?
    I'll post a piccy/equip run-down of my creation when he's done... Man at arms indeed, whatever next?

• Dr_Mech 1 Feb 2013 14:38:27 995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It won't remove the bleed damage but it will lessen it.

A common pairing with the Lifehunt Scythe is the Blood Shield (also found in the same wonderfully snowy location as the nice person you brutally murdered to get her soul...you monster...), the combination of Blood Shield and Bloodbite Ring drastically decreases the amount of personal bleed buildup.

Be warned there is one shield which will laugh at Bleed, the Greatshield of Artorias, basically if a person has this shield and is blocking, the bleed buildup is completely ignored.

However that shield is really rarely used in PvP since most go for throwing fire/casting Dark Magic/hurling dungpies and all other manner of trickery and shennanigans.

Elathron wrote:
    @Dr_Mech - Was thinking that, the chain chest-piece would probs work too. Give him a Heater/Cadacus Shield and that'll sort that element out. The helmet could also be the undead soldier's I suppose but the Balder Knight would be better for the defence. Or maybe even the Black Iron Helm?
    I'll post a piccy/equip run-down of my creation when he's done... Man at arms indeed, whatever next?
    Sounds good...it is probably the sleep deprivation kicking in at the moment but when you originally said Man-at-arms all I was thinking about was how and why would you want to make this:

In Dark Souls.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:42:13 01-02-2013
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 14:38:31 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @onestepfromlost - Whatever you do, the bleed will take the same % chunk from your health (I think? That's what the wiki used to say anyway), with more bleed resist, you just have a longer bar to fill (and I think it fills more slowly?). Try just using the regular Greatscythe, not as much damage or bleed, but it's a safer option for your sanity!

Edited by Elathron at 14:39:02 01-02-2013

• onestepfromlost 1 Feb 2013 14:41:21 2,039 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sanity schmanity. im just finding pvp hard with my sorc build as i find most sorceries generally ineffective in pvp. everyone is banging on about the dark stuff but im reluctant to use it for fear of being accused cheesy
  • Elathron 1 Feb 2013 14:44:45 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @onestepfromlost - what I mean by sanity is killing yourself by accident or someone using a bleed weapon against you... You'll see what I mean!

• Dr_Mech 1 Feb 2013 14:45:06 995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah because for a while the goto pwntehnoobs build was a Sorcerer throwing Dark Magic around, a lot of people run around in Anti-magic gear. Great Magic Barrier, Vow of Silence and such all help screw up your day.

Prior to this it was lightning Damage, however since people have switched to being more anti-magic you could surprise people by using a lightning weapon, like a shocking blast from the past to their face.

You pure sorcery or Sorcery/Dex build? If you're Sorcery/Dex the tail cut weapon of the same person whose soul you used to make the weapon is a viable option, same bleed buildup as the Lifehunt Scythe without the personal bleed buildup, hits quicker and has a really odd moveset which makes it a pain in the arse for people to parry.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:47:04 01-02-2013

Edited by Dr_Mech at 14:47:39 01-02-2013
  • onestepfromlost 1 Feb 2013 14:45:36 2,039 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    well yeah good point. ithink the last guy that killed me was using something with makor bleed.

probably doesnt help that my vit is piss poor

Edited by onestepfromlost at 14:45:57 01-02-2013
  • Page

of 1193 First / Last