Dark Souls Page 711

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• Cannon_Fodder 31 Jan 2013 08:34:33 216 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    Hi guys,

Got the PC PTD edition for Xmas and have got the new spangly graphics etc, I'm worried that there's going to be no-one to invade or so some jolly co-op with. Should I just delete some characters on my xbox and buy the DLC instead?

Cheers.
    I play on PC and sometimes have thought about doing the same. It's strange, I get invaded plenty but really struggle to actually invade anyone myself.

That said, the game looks too good on PC with the fix. I'm going to keep with my current platform for now, if I get to SL 120+ and i'm still struggling to invade I'll probably switch back.

In terms of "jolly co-op", I've had no problems! Plenty of summon signs down around bonfires, most recently used them with O+S.

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• quadfather 31 Jan 2013 08:37:41 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Found and oldish build last night around al 40 that I was obviously planning on str/faith, so that's saved a bit of legwork. Bloody crap gear though. She's done iron golem so I plodded off the anor, only to get creamed by the man serpents in sens. Astora's sword +2? Sigh, lob.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• teamHAM 31 Jan 2013 09:33:34 2,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @hypoBla5t

I also play on PC aswell as Xbox. It's usually fine. Plus you can summon (or invade) me. What more do you want? :p

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• teamHAM 31 Jan 2013 09:36:02 2,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather

Astoras Sword is a good wep for early game Catacombs/ToG because even unupgraded it wipes out the skellies pretty easily. But against Snakemen who are resistant to physical damage it's poo.

However for a faith char obviously you want to have a faith weapon, so early Catacombs/ToG should be done for the weps, chunks, embers, miracles, Reah, Leroy etc.

It's definitely the first stop for a faith build if you can handle the heat down there.

• captbirdseye 31 Jan 2013 09:36:11 4,782 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anything worth upgrading from Stone Armour (sl46)? Currently using that and Zweihander 2 handed.
  • teamHAM 31 Jan 2013 09:42:13 2,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @captbirdseye

Stone Armor is amazing if you are into all that heavy armor stuff (which you clearly are).

One of the best armor sets to engage Four Kings with. You could try Havel's armor. That might be better but also heavier I think.

For normal trash fights you should consider something middle of the road though. A medium armor with some poise, of which there are quite a few sets. You can still wield your greatshield or whatever tickles your fancy and have some poise to compliment it but won't be bogged down by the huge weight of these armors.

Stone Armor is up there though, plus it doesn't need upgrading.

With that and the Zwei, you are using the two most "user-friendly" pick-up-and-play weapons and armor in the game really. With those and a good shield you can avoid being punished for making a few mistakes.

They are far from the most efficient or diverse things in the game though.

Edited by teamHAM at 09:43:39 31-01-2013

• quadfather 31 Jan 2013 09:50:20 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    @quadfather

Astoras Sword is a good wep for early game Catacombs/ToG because even unupgraded it wipes out the skellies pretty easily. But against Snakemen who are resistant to physical damage it's poo.

However for a faith char obviously you want to have a faith weapon, so early Catacombs/ToG should be done for the weps, chunks, embers, miracles, Reah, Leroy etc.

It's definitely the first stop for a faith build if you can handle the heat down there.
    Aye, that's a point. nice one. I'll have to go there then.

Need something fairly hard hitting for a weapon I think, going forward.

Reckon an astora's sword +2 is ok for cats?

• teamHAM 31 Jan 2013 10:20:35 2,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    @quadfather

Cats? you mean the big cats in Darkroot? I doubt they will be strong enough for them.

If you end up going exploring before you get a decent divine/occult weapon like claymore or GS or something then get a lightning weapon. Occult weapons and Divine weapons are great when they are maxed out and you have loads of faith, but early game it's pretty underpowered, like a sorcerer. So a lightning weapon helps I find.

• Architect_z 31 Jan 2013 10:52:15 2,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When i started my cleric build i was using astoras sword. Its basically a devine longsword, you can get through the catacombs easily enough by simply rushing the necromancers. Once they're dead, you can kill skellys with any weapons/magic...etc.
    Astoras sword will do fine.

Saying that, you will need a devine weapon to kill off Nito's skelly guards

Edited by Architect_z at 10:53:44 31-01-2013
  • quadfather 31 Jan 2013 11:00:22 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    @quadfather

Cats? you mean the big cats in Darkroot? I doubt they will be strong enough for them.

If you end up going exploring before you get a decent divine/occult weapon like claymore or GS or something then get a lightning weapon. Occult weapons and Divine weapons are great when they are maxed out and you have loads of faith, but early game it's pretty underpowered, like a sorcerer. So a lightning weapon helps I find.
    Cats = catacombs :)

Basically, I'll happily do the catacombs till I've maxed some decent weapons

Just need to decide up front before I go there which weapon to use to farm the catacombs - astora's upgraded a bit more, or take my +7 claymore and make it funky?

• Mr_Sleep 31 Jan 2013 11:04:51 16,838 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I reckon Astora's will suit you pretty well for quite a long time. I had it on a faith build and it was useful up until the Duke's Archive. The only issue, of course, is the cost of upgrade and the scarcity of twinkling titanite.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Architect_z 31 Jan 2013 11:05:05 2,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather - I've been crushing fools in PvP with an occult claymore+5.

If you're a strength/faith, its not a bad weapon to use in PvE, until you find something more appropriate.
    Are you going for the Grant?
  • Elathron 31 Jan 2013 11:09:15 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM - Friday is good buddy :p I'm gonna port forward my Xbox so I get better bandwidth, otherwise we could be waiting a while to invade simultaniously...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• captbirdseye 31 Jan 2013 11:34:20 4,782 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    @captbirdseye

Stone Armor is amazing if you are into all that heavy armor stuff (which you clearly are).

One of the best armor sets to engage Four Kings with. You could try Havel's armor. That might be better but also heavier I think.

For normal trash fights you should consider something middle of the road though. A medium armor with some poise, of which there are quite a few sets. You can still wield your greatshield or whatever tickles your fancy and have some poise to compliment it but won't be bogged down by the huge weight of these armors.

Stone Armor is up there though, plus it doesn't need upgrading.

With that and the Zwei, you are using the two most "user-friendly" pick-up-and-play weapons and armor in the game really. With those and a good shield you can avoid being punished for making a few mistakes.

They are far from the most efficient or diverse things in the game though.
    Cheers buddy. Yeah, i'm making myself a walking 2 handed tank which is pretty fun but very slow :D.
  • Elathron 31 Jan 2013 11:41:54 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @captbirdseye - You may find that this combo works a little better if you have the endurance:
    Giant's Leggings +5
    Giant's Gauntlets +5
    Black Iron Armour +5
    Wanderer Hood/Thief Mask/Bandit Hood +9/10
    The above weighs far less than the stone set but will provide a similar poise and much better physical defence. The only thing it might provide less of is magic def. but who needs that all the time? :cool:
    Slap on a FaP ring and Havel's ring too and you've probs got enough endurance to do a fast roll? Perhaps not using a zwei on top though...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 31 Jan 2013 11:48:13 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I reckon Astora's will suit you pretty well for quite a long time. I had it on a faith build and it was useful up until the Duke's Archive. The only issue, of course, is the cost of upgrade and the scarcity of twinkling titanite.
    Shit, I'd forgotten it needs twinkling.

Bollocks.

That means it's either hoovering up lizards, or waiting till I get to Anor.

Unlikely.

• Architect_z 31 Jan 2013 11:51:54 2,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - Is the stone set good against magic?

I need magic defence, the only thing I struggle against in PvP is when some n00b just suddenly dark magics the fuck out of me. I've had to upgrade a crest shield to +5 purely because of magic being used in PvP.

O, on a side note, I lost 1,748,410 souls the other day.
    Beat that!
  • quadfather 31 Jan 2013 11:52:22 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    @quadfather - I've been crushing fools in PvP with an occult claymore+5.

If you're a strength/faith, its not a bad weapon to use in PvE, until you find something more appropriate.
    Are you going for the Grant?
    Fuck it then - I might go for an occult claymore. Take it to divine first to sort the boney twats out, then occult it later.

Grant might be a plan too. 50 strength one handed, and 30 faith. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

Remind me again, is it only divine that kills the skeletons properly, or will occult do it too? (Not that I'll get occult till either the duke's or painted world, so it probably doesn't matter :p )

• Cannon_Fodder 31 Jan 2013 11:56:58 216 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather Just divine, occult unfortunately does not.

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• quadfather 31 Jan 2013 11:59:15 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder - Cheers anyway.

divine claymore it is then. So that means forest then catacombs.

righto

• Mr_Sleep 31 Jan 2013 12:07:55 16,838 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Bollocks.

Unlikely.
    There's always the Snuggly approach, I just had a quick look at the guide to what Snuggly will take and change so there might be something to look at for you :-)

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:08:35 31-01-2013

• Elathron 31 Jan 2013 12:08:20 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Architect_z - lost 16 million at one point... still not broken my own stupid record!!!! And yeah, stone is good against magic. If you're 2 handing then you may find the dragontooth is a good weapon, the increased magic defence really helps!!! I still just prefer using GMB or VoS in PvP though - despite not lasting long, most magic users are one trick ponies. Rob them of their trick and they fall apart :lol:

• quadfather 31 Jan 2013 12:11:17 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

Bollocks.

Unlikely.
    There's always the Snuggly approach, I just had a quick look at the guide to what Snuggly will take and change so there might be something to look at for you :-)
    Oo yes. I could get 4 fairly easy. That is, if I haven't already used snuggly to get it to +2

• Mr_Sleep 31 Jan 2013 12:12:42 16,838 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There is another approach of course. Man up and use a weapon that isn't fully upgraded, it'll be like the old days when you had no idea what you were doing! ;-)

• quadfather 31 Jan 2013 12:15:12 11,808 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep - what do you mean, like the old days? I play like that now :p

• Mr_Sleep 31 Jan 2013 12:50:22 16,838 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hah :-D

I must say, I'm not sure why I was struggling against Nito so much, as a sorcerer with the crystal catalyst thing it's actually relatively easy to take him down. Two Soul Spears and two crystal homing soulmasses and he went poof.

• Big-Swiss 31 Jan 2013 13:01:20 8,076 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wow, I coudn't even get half of Nitos life down. Always needed help
  • Architect_z 31 Jan 2013 13:37:35 2,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - Aye, I love having GMB engaged, and just going straight in for an attack against magic users, especially when they have the moonlight greatsword.
    I just wanna update my armour to be better against magic, don't tend to have too much trouble fending off any other kind of opponent.
  • Architect_z 31 Jan 2013 13:39:09 2,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had terrible trouble with Nito, his gravelord attack from the floor caught me everytime, and his area of effect Mom-Ra attack screwed me over big time.
  • Mr_Sleep 31 Jan 2013 13:40:16 16,838 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did have the Bellowing Dragon Crest ring and Dusk's tiara, added to that the Crystal Tin Catalyst is the thing that makes the big difference. If I was at level 44 with the Crystal Soul Spear I reckon he would have been down even quicker. I'm probably a bit too high level for my first play through, I think I'm around 90, I'm just going to make another go at Manus then head for the finale.

• Page

of 1193 First / Last