Dark Souls Page 708

• Page

of 1205 First / Last

• sid92 28 Jan 2013 18:00:50 616 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ive had a big break from this not played it since i finished the DLC back in october, anyway ive done about 500+ hours on this game with lots of different builds and builds for certain weapons ie MLGS and Grant and i was thinking what build can i do. Then it just hit me like a brick i have never really used spears so kicked up a new save and grabbed winged spear from skellies and i am just loving the spear and shield style of play. Winged spear for the win.
  • onestepfromlost 28 Jan 2013 18:19:07 2,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah ive been rocking the winged spear shield combo all through this playthhrough. very defensive playstyle that works well. ive upgraded the spear to enchanted +5 since im also a srocerer build.
  • Red_Bool 28 Jan 2013 21:23:08 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    It was quite pleasant to have new bosses to fight, wasn't too painful, the first five times it seemed totally unfair and then the next five I sort of figured out a strategy. Then I died a few more times, went away and picked up the ring that boosts lightning defence and then another five or six goes and it was down.

I'll say this too, I'm loving the Silver Knights sword with crystal magic weapon on it, it's my go-to boss weapon.
    aaaand I'm past the first boss of the DLC as well :D Took about the same amount of tries as you (but I already had that ring). Figuring out the patterns was the hardest, because it does have quite some variation. Already had a quick look in the next section...let's just say the first thing I need to do next time is collect my souls again ;)
  • senso-ji 28 Jan 2013 21:59:15 5,923 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Skill:

( Note this is not me :D )
  • Telepathic.Geometry 29 Jan 2013 00:40:53 11,366 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Holy fuck...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Dr_Mech 29 Jan 2013 10:20:53 1,035 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    yeah ive been rocking the winged spear shield combo all through this playthhrough. very defensive playstyle that works well. ive upgraded the spear to enchanted +5 since im also a srocerer build.
    Decided to do the same for my sorcerer...it meant I was woefully underpowered in the melee weapon department for the first half of the game until I could get down into Blighttown to farm for Green Titanite shards.

Currently Enchanted +1 and I've gone from 135 to 310 damage in the space of one upgrade session.

Currently using Crown of Dusk, Crimson Set chest, Crimson set gloves, Antiquated Skirt, Knight shield +10, Enchanted Winged Spear +1, Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, Darkwood Grain ring (for teh flips!), unupgraded Pyromancy glove and the Oolice Catalyst (once I hit 30 int will switch to the Sorcerer Catalyst).

Spells are Great Heavy Soul Arrow (does around 500 damage without Power Within, close to 600 with it, Though I did manage a 900 damage hit on one boss since I hit them while they were dodging) Heavy Soul Arrow, Homing Soul Mass and Power Within.

29 Int, 20 Vit, 18 End, will probably bump End to 20 then get Int to 33 so I can use Soul Spear.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 10:22:28 29-01-2013

Edited by Dr_Mech at 10:23:31 29-01-2013
  • quadfather 29 Jan 2013 11:01:45 12,255 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Skill:

( Note this is not me :D )
    Slightly quick :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 14:35:22 2,979 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    yeah ive been rocking the winged spear shield combo all through this playthhrough. very defensive playstyle that works well.
    That's one way of putting it yes. It's a shame there aren't more enemies in the game with a Shotel or two really.

:p

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Sonic_D 29 Jan 2013 15:27:07 126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello all, not been on this thread for a while, was planning on being back on when the DLC came out. Alas I purchased the DLC and then a few days later my PS3 was stolen. I lost my three characters who I was looking forward to playing the DLC with, ~180 hours of gameplay gone annoyingly.

Anyway, my first character was a Pyro that I got up to Level 125 I think, ended up being a magic (homing crystal soulmass etc.) & lighting claymore bastid. Second was a full on brute level ~80, high strength, wielded mainly massive clubs. Third was an early female ninja build, although I was never very good at parrying.

About to start a new game and I am not sure what sort of build to go for. I want something that will let me experience the game a bit differently and make it fun to play again, as well as enjoy the DLC. I am not up to speed on updates, nerfs etc. What do ppl think?
  • FourSevenZero 29 Jan 2013 15:34:06 82 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't know why I do it but put DKS on again when I was an ickle bit drunk (I was smashed!) and took on Kalameet, that did not end well! Tried again with a couple of summons which went much better, I did lose one I just couldn't heal quick enough but we got him down to a sliver of health, like one hit away except I got caught dodging his magic attack, nooooooo, absolutely gutted!

I really need to get the dlc finished and take this character into NG+ she's been one of my faves to play but lately I've been off getting pyromancies and miracles for her or I play a different character completely, I must focus!

Next time though, stone cold sober :)
  • puddleduck 29 Jan 2013 15:45:43 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dr_Mech

If you're using the crimson gloves you might want to switch to the tattered cloth manchette that the pyro starts with. Upgraded to +9 it is one of the best weight to ratio defense pieces in the game. Has nice elemental defence aross the board. Also there are plenty of better skirts than the Antiquated if you find them ;)
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Jan 2013 15:46:48 17,097 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    aaaand I'm past the first boss of the DLC as well :D Took about the same amount of tries as you (but I already had that ring). Figuring out the patterns was the hardest, because it does have quite some variation. Already had a quick look in the next section...let's just say the first thing I need to do next time is collect my souls again ;)
    Heh, same here, those forest creatures are fucking annoying as are the stone giant things, took me almost as long as the first boss to figure out their attack patterns. I'm basically ignoring them though, if I wanted to farm for souls then I have much better options and it's the next boss that is my concern. Got about 3/4 down and was one shotted! I think I can do it, need a few more goes. Soul Spear was pretty effective but he just has so much health! I'm using a +10 magic claymore and it's doing about 80 damage!

Does anyone know if he's allergic to any elements?

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 29 Jan 2013 15:49:38 17,097 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sonic_D wrote:
    About to start a new game and I am not sure what sort of build to go for. I want something that will let me experience the game a bit differently and make it fun to play again, as well as enjoy the DLC. I am not up to speed on updates, nerfs etc. What do ppl think?
    Definitely worth doing a faith character. Maybe a strength/faith character. Sort of a cleric build I guess. TotGs seems to have quite a few useful things for that, plus there's the Thorlund interactions and stuff around that which is worth a look.

• Mr_Sleep 29 Jan 2013 15:53:14 17,097 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    Also there are plenty of better skirts than the Antiquated if you find them ;)
    Oh, do tell.

• Elathron 29 Jan 2013 16:02:15 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep - There's the Tutu of Doom. Smough's corset & Ornstein's thong to name but a few.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 16:06:51 2,979 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you want fashion, try Silver Knight Helm, Catarina Armour and Crimson skirt. Dashing!

• Mr_Sleep 29 Jan 2013 16:07:08 17,097 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do I need to get the ember of cross dressing for those items?

• evild_edd 29 Jan 2013 17:32:11 3,123 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hello all. Just installed Dark Souls on my HDD, ready for my first taste.

Had a quick look through the manual (a quick look because it's so short) and see that there are a number of character classes. Any recommendations as to which is the best to select (or just avoid) for a first play-through...?

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Dangerous_Dan 29 Jan 2013 17:40:00 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @evild_edd

Use a controller.
    Take your time, that game is sacred ground. Don't rush anything, it means death.
    Choose any character which represents a playstyle you like, from there on you can build any kind of char. There are no disadvantages to any character class in the long run.

That being said, the pyromancer or the hunter because of his bow are good choices.
  • Cannon_Fodder 29 Jan 2013 17:44:56 219 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @evild_edd What Dangerous Dan has said is pretty much spot on.

I would heavily advise using a controller even on PC. The Keyboard and Mouse controls are pretty bad. If you can master them fair enough, but it just annoyed me. I found since I used two screens if I moved my mouse all the way right it would actually appear on the second screen out of the game resulting in random minimising . I believe there is a fix for this, but it was enough to put me off using keyboard and mouse (that and the horrible sensitivity). Now I use my dualshock 3 with something called DS3 Tool and enable Xbox 360 Controller Emulation. Works a charm!

My first ever playthrough I was a Pyromancer. The first spell you gain comes quite in handy for tight spaces and the odd early boss battle. Around mid-game I wasn't really relying on pyromancies much, more so just bashing away with high dex weapons. I definitely think the class made my first experience easier though.

Oh, and download the graphics fix. It makes the game look gorgeous! By default it looks like someone has rubbed vaseline on your monitor.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 17:47:12 29-01-2013

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 17:45:41 2,979 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @evild_edd

I would definitely suggest Pyromancer for your first go. You start at Level 1 (the other classes you do not) and you also get a Pyromancy Flame early on (basically allows you to chuck fire and burn stuff) which is handy if you are unfamiliar with the game.

Otherwise, pretty much what Dangerous_Dan says is sound advice.

• puddleduck 29 Jan 2013 18:03:42 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

If you're playing unpatched then it's actually a pretty good skirt. Otherwise the Maiden Skirt is superb when upgraded and is pretty much identical to the blood-stained skirt which can be picked up if you let Lautrec do his business... Witch's skirt is pretty handy too but not available that early on, even the Crimson Waistcloth is solid albeit weighs a bit compared to others.
  • Sonic_D 29 Jan 2013 18:14:37 126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Cheers, was thinking that, but much of the Faith skills descriptions didn't excite me much. Originally my brute build was supposed to be a Strength/Faith build but just ended up being full on strength.

Will give it a go.
  • evild_edd 29 Jan 2013 18:36:58 3,123 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the replies! Think I'll give the Pyromancer a go then. A little fire on my side has got to be a help...

Oh, and I should've made it clear that I've installed on my 360 HDD, so it's controller all the way for me. Don't have a gaming PC capable of running something like this, so the aging 360 will have to do.

Hoping that some Dark Souls will act as a relaxing, soothing balm from the intensity that is Spelunky. Slow and steady seems to be the mantra of DS players, from the little I've read about it. Deliberately tried to avoid learning too much so that I can experience it all for myself :0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 19:00:03 2,979 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Hoping that some Dark Souls will act as a relaxing, soothing balm from the intensity that is Spelunky.
    Had to genuinely lol there. If you are looking for a relaxing break from Spelunky, Dark Souls is not exactly a good choice. If Dark Souls were a platformer, it would be Spelunky. :p

I'm on 360 too aswell so if you ever need help just let me know and I will help if I can. :)

• onestepfromlost 29 Jan 2013 19:26:01 2,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    Hoping that some Dark Souls will act as a relaxing, soothing balm from the intensity that is Spelunky.
    Had to genuinely lol there. If you are looking for a relaxing break from Spelunky, Dark Souls is not exactly a good choice. If Dark Souls were a platformer, it would be Spelunky. :p

I'm on 360 too aswell so if you ever need help just let me know and I will help if I can. :)
    Yeah i wouldn't choose this as a relaxing time. my mrs has attempted to ban me from playing it cause its the only game she has seen me get controller throwing frustrated at in a long.
  • evild_edd 29 Jan 2013 19:30:50 3,123 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha, it was something of a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I figured whilst I was in the masochistic zone of Spelunky, I may as well keep it going with DS.

Thanks for the offer of help teamHAM - I may well take you up on that if the game breaks me...

Why look, it's a blog:

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 19:36:26 2,979 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No problem. Summoning is a core part of the game and while you can summon NPC's on some bosses a real life person tends to work better :)

• onestepfromlost 29 Jan 2013 19:40:37 2,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah, ive not summoned anyone at all on my ffirst playthrough other than NPCs. Think ill try to a lot more on NG+
  • Page

of 1205 First / Last