Dark Souls Page 705

• Page

of 1217 First / Last

• SYS64738 24 Jan 2013 22:55:34 1,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Typhoid

Yeah +9 seems pretty good to me, similar stats to Havel's armor now but much lighter. And just as I was whinging about being rubbish at PvP, I just kicked some dirty invader out of my game for the second time ever:)

PS. Is the Brass Armour good at anything particular? Looks nice and shiny but not sure if it's worth upgrading as it otherwise looks pretty average...

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Dr_Mech 24 Jan 2013 23:13:46 1,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm instead of a t-shirt I'd like this:

As a poster.

Also went to get the Enchanted Ember...keep in mind that through all my playthroughs I've never fought the Big Mushrooms, never even looked up what they're like because I've always ignored them (Also never been down to Ash Lake).

This was pretty much the result:

Fuck me do they hit hard...

I'm also using the Elite Knight's set however I accidentally spent a slab upgrading the chest piece to +10 (which I get for hammering things to get them quickly upgraded).

Technically the best 'medium armour' (which Elite Knight is apparently considered) is the Paladin set but meh...has better stats but looks less practical and more dorky.

The Brass set is about on Par with Knight's set, so it is practical.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 23:18:06 24-01-2013
  • SYS64738 24 Jan 2013 23:59:39 1,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started NG+, simply couldn't resist any longer and forgot to beat the dragon of the DLC:(

Time to put my Dragon Bone Fist+5 to the test. Bit of fistin surely won't hurt nobody!

• quadfather 25 Jan 2013 08:52:49 13,144 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Love those pictures dr_mech :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Elathron 25 Jan 2013 09:56:06 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SYS64738 - It can be buffed can't it? in PvP it's an absolute beast, stuns like a MoFo!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• SYS64738 25 Jan 2013 13:07:55 1,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @SYS64738 - It can be buffed can't it? in PvP it's an absolute beast, stuns like a MoFo!
    Haven't tried it yet, will give it a go. Also messed around with a Chaos Zweihander+5 and 10 humanity in undead burg last night, not bad, not bad! Like the R2 smack attack as well.

I actually have a lot of weapons that I haven't tried yet. This game is gonna last me for ages:)

• Elathron 25 Jan 2013 13:25:45 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SYS64738 If you like the Zwei, you'll love the Greatsword from the Crestfallen Merchant. All the goodness of the Zwei except a nice thrusting R2 (you can still do the overhead slam by tapping b then R1, or run+R1). The benefits are that it get's buffed by the leo ring

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 25 Jan 2013 13:26:39 13,144 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's the greatswords jumping r2 attack like?

• Elathron 25 Jan 2013 14:07:08 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather Same as the Zwei, a jumping slam that rapes anything with a low stability/poise. In fact, the only difference between the 2 is 2 weight and the R2 attack (which is a stab with the GS).

• MatMan562 25 Jan 2013 15:49:21 2,541 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll be starting this again for the third time soon (the furthest i've got is shortly after the first bell which I believe isn't far into the game). Do you guys have any tips for someone like me who is really crap at it but really wants to reach the end at least once?

Is there a best character to start with or something I should make sure I do or don't do or anything?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Elathron 25 Jan 2013 16:06:33 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @MatMan562 - Erk. What system are you gonna be playing on? If it's necesary there's people on all formats here who can help with levels and bosses. The thing about this game is not giving up, a lot of the references to the hollows actually refer to sections where players regularly give up playing the game (also they're often locations of large souls ironically). Dex is the best class to go for if you find the game is punishing you more often than not, level up your dex to a point where you can use a certain weapon (then level up that weapon etc.), then concentrate on getting 40 vit/end. From there you should find the game gets a lot easier, especially if you upgrade along an elemental path for your NG playthrough (and therefore negate the needs for high stats etc). I'll let someone else chip in and finish the rest haha :D

Edited by Elathron at 16:08:33 25-01-2013

• Dr_Mech 25 Jan 2013 16:36:12 1,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    I'll be starting this again for the third time soon (the furthest i've got is shortly after the first bell which I believe isn't far into the game). Do you guys have any tips for someone like me who is really crap at it but really wants to reach the end at least once?

Is there a best character to start with or something I should make sure I do or don't do or anything?
    My suggestions would be:
    1) Play as a knight, the heavy armour and good starting shield make life a lot easier.

2) Save humanity for just before you head to a boss area to summon NPC or if you have the internets on your chosen platform, player phantoms.

3) Know your enemy. One set of gear won't always work, some bosses will do magical damage, some will do fire, some will do lightning. Learn the bosses, what they do and their attack patterns and plan your gear accordingly.

4) If you having trouble surviving I'd suggest upping your Vitality and Endurance first over your damage stats, now this is a double edged sword, you have more leeway in taking hits BUT the fight is going to drag on much longer.

5) Stats matter but also upgrading your gear matters as well, if you're having trouble on the gargoyles, spend an hour or so farming the enemies in the area and save up souls to buy the upgrade shards from the Blacksmith, it will take a while to save up all the souls need but once you have your chosen weapon and shield to +5 and your chosen armour to +3, the next stage of the game becomes a lot easier.

6) Have a rough idea what kind of character you're going for. Do you want to be strength focused? Strength and faith focused? Dex focused? Dex and Intelligence focused? If you start as a Knight I would probably recommend Strength focused with a little bit of Dex here and there for certain weapons along with levelling your vitality and endurance.

That is about all the tips I can give you, I'm sure other Dark Souls players with more experience can give you better advice.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 16:39:47 25-01-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2013 16:40:40 17,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd say strength based is the easiest character to play as, I have always had much more trouble being a dexterity based character as all battles last longer, as Dr Mech says, and so therefore being able to just run up and twat things always seemed easier. A fiery Zweihander is a thing of beauty, for you first play through go for elemental damage, fire or lightning, as this tends to do enough damage in the short term. If you need to know how to do that then let us know.

Also, whereabouts do you tend to hit a wall?

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mola_Ram 25 Jan 2013 16:41:10 7,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Keep your shield up, wait for openings. This won't work for things that are unblockable, but it will be useful at least in the early stages.
  • sport 25 Jan 2013 16:42:50 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1) Ignore all this wishy washy advice
    2) Start as Pyro
    3) Upgrade your Pyro glove as mush as you can
    4) Buy Pyro spells
    5) Increase Vitality
    6) BURN THE WORLD!!!!

;-P
  • onestepfromlost 25 Jan 2013 17:29:54 2,107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    im guessing it easier to upgrade all my weapons to the +10 element stuff towards the end of the firs playthrough, since then ill have the slabs and blacksmiths all with embers?
  • quadfather 25 Jan 2013 17:33:02 13,144 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @onestepfromlost - +9 certainly isn't that hard. Just takes a bit of time. +10 requires immense slabbage, which isn't as common or easy to come by. I just leave things on 9 half the time and save the slabs to make the weapon 5/10 depending what the limit is

• quadfather 25 Jan 2013 17:33:49 13,144 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In fact you could get 9 by half way through the game if you plan it right

• onestepfromlost 25 Jan 2013 17:49:01 2,107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    well my equipment im wearing is all +9, asnd i have a bow and speasr enchacnted to +5, but im thinking like fo teh achievements should i upgrade some weapons and stuff to fire and lightning and chaos etc? before going to NG+
  • MatMan562 25 Jan 2013 18:15:42 2,541 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm playing on PS3. Hadn't thought about getting help for the bosses, that could help a lot. So is it best to focus on one or two stats when levelling up rather than going for a bit of everything? I remember upgrading a sword before but I didn't know you could do elemental stuff with it, how do you do that?

I don't tend to hit a wall as such, I think the thought of dying repeatedly and not making any progress puts me off loading it back up.

• Elathron 25 Jan 2013 18:24:25 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @onestepfromlost - Just plan accordingly buddy! Unless you do a lot of farming, you'll only get a few of the slabs required to upgrade everything. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the DLC there's a number of duplicate slabs to pick up. Saying that, if you're on XBL I can drop everything you need to pop the cheevos for boss weapons and the slabs/weapons for the other ones - it's not like I need 99 any more!

• puddleduck 25 Jan 2013 18:29:23 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MatMan562

If you're on PS3 that leaves DD, myself and Quaddy who can all help :)

For now, I think you should carry on working your way through yourself, so I won't be giving you everything you need. However if you do want the trophies or some slabs etc further down the line. Just drop me a PM.

First playthrough you can spread your stats a bit just so you can use the various weapons as you find them. I would say though that Vitality and Endurance will be your friends, ignore them at your peril ;)

Strength and Dex can be worth upgrading to around 16-20 as you go just so you can use most of the weapons you find. You probably won't get access to much of the later level spells and miracles anyway, so ignore the supplementary magic and faith for now. If you need something a bit different, you'll get a pyro glove eventually which ugrades with souls rather than stats.

In another playthrough you can then really experiment with the various magics when you know whether you prefer strength or dexterity weapons.

Edited by puddleduck at 18:31:51 25-01-2013

Edited by puddleduck at 18:33:14 25-01-2013
  • Elathron 25 Jan 2013 18:34:06 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm playing on PS3. Hadn't thought about getting help for the bosses, that could help a lot. So is it best to focus on one or two stats when levelling up rather than going for a bit of everything? I remember upgrading a sword before but I didn't know you could do elemental stuff with it, how do you do that?

I don't tend to hit a wall as such, I think the thought of dying repeatedly and not making any progress puts me off loading it back up.
    It's a bit of a spoiler but....

Edited by Elathron at 18:34:27 25-01-2013

• MatMan562 25 Jan 2013 18:43:09 2,541 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, that would explain why I never knew about the elemental stuff, I don't think I got a weapon past +5. Thanks!

And thanks for the tips and offer to help puddleduck! I will try to do it all by myself but i'll come running to this thread when I begin to get frustrated.

• Elathron 25 Jan 2013 18:48:51 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @MatMan562 - No worries :D That's what we're here for. That and boasting about Balder Side Sword drops to quaddy....

• puddleduck 25 Jan 2013 18:53:33 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MatMan562

You'll need to find certain Embers to get your weapons past each of the choke points on that table :)

If you're really struggling early on, there are two weapons that can help immensely. One is called the Drake Sword, and the other is Astora's Straight Sword. One requires patience, a bow, a lot of arrows. The other a suicide run and the master key. Obviously you don't need to get them, but should you find yourself really struggling, then looking them up online should avoid too many spoilers whilst getting you on your way and into the real meat of the game :)
  • MatMan562 25 Jan 2013 19:22:28 2,541 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @puddleduck Oh yeah, I remember hearing about the Drake Sword. I think I tried to get that once before but used half my arrows and didn't seem to have done much damage so moved on.

• Elathron 25 Jan 2013 19:34:14 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Right, tonight is the night I get back onto DaS after the no Internet issues I've had for the past month :cool: if anyone's on XBL wanting some duels or co-op funsies, I'll be using my DmB who's currently sat at 105. Hoping to level him to 125 tonight which will finish the build and set me up to grief the guilty... Who's with me :D

• Dr_Mech 25 Jan 2013 22:38:15 1,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:

You won't be able to do the elemental stuff until quite a bit later in the game, also Elemental weapons aren't usually as good as dedicated weapons, by that I mean weapons that scale S or A with your key damage stat.

They use to be but they got hit with quite a large nerf in one of the patches. Since my game is unpatched they still hit pretty damn hard but you'll run into bosses with different elemental resistances meaning a purely physical weapon will do you through every fight while you'll have to chop and changed between elemental weapons.

Once you reach the first blacksmith (which I'm assuming you've found), you can at first only upgrade weapons and shields to +5 and armour to +3. You need to find certain embers to upgrade past that but you'll come across the +10/+6 large ember not too much further into the game, it is also fairly hard to miss, unlike the other embers which you have to go out of your way to find.

For damage stats (Strength or Dexterity for melee builds, Intelligence or Faith for caster builds) it is better to at first focus on just one and your Endurance and Vitality.

The one stat pretty much everyone ignores is Resistance, I seriously wouldn't bother levelling that up, for the levels invested in it, it offers little return and you can find other things to boost your resistance to certain elements.

I would suggest spending an hour or two just farming the crap out of the undead knights in the area around the blacksmith, you'll make about 1500 souls per run and it takes 7200 souls to buy the small titanite shards from the blacksmith to fully upgrade a weapon/shield to +5, you need less for armour since that only goes up to +3.

An Easier build to start out with is definitely the strength build, high strength, endurance and vitality combined with a good shield and medium (Knight's set) or heavy (though you won't encounter your first piece of proper heavy armour until later in the game) armour basically makes you a lot more survivable and able to dish out a decent amount of damage as well.

Getting your Strength to 20, your Dex to about 16 or 18 (depending on what kind of weapon you want to wield) and bumping up your vitality and endurance occasionally along the way should sort you out.

I don't recommend starting the game as a caster type but, very much like Dungeons and Dragons, Caster start out weak and end up having the potential to do massive damage at higher levels.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 22:44:17 25-01-2013
  • FanBoysSuck 26 Jan 2013 00:00:06 1,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Manus down! Fucking hell that was a hard fight! It was worth it for the Sif scene though :)

For the emperor!

• Page

of 1217 First / Last