Dark Souls Page 699

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 20 Jan 2013 22:19:40 16,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Best thing for farming humanity is rats, from what I understand. If you've got the serpent ring from Sen's Fortress you can then have a wander and try farming some from under the dragon or the tunnel in the undead burg.

You are a factory of sadness.

• teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 00:07:31 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The best place full stop is Chasm of the Abyss in the DLC. If you don't have the DLC then its Depths most likely. From the bonfire you can run a circuit of about 10-12 rats in under a minute.

For anyone near the start of the game and wanting humanity the three rats under the hellkite dragon works. Approaching from the sunlight altar bonfire means 3 rats in under 30 seconds.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 00:09:07 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    ill just rely on my homing soul mass if they go for a BS
    And I will just roll dodge it :p

• ZuluHero 21 Jan 2013 00:46:53 3,658 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Best thing for farming humanity is rats, from what I understand. If you've got the serpent ring from Sen's Fortress you can then have a wander and try farming some from under the dragon or the tunnel in the undead burg.
    Bonfire in the Depths. Equip the ring. Just out the door kill the hollow standing outside door, then first door on the right, down the stairs, kill rats at the bottom, collect any humanity they drop, then back to the bonfire. Wash and repeat.

I actually levelled a couple of levels this way when i was finding it tough to gain enough souls to level (without dying and losing them all). You can rack up quite a few doing this little run over and over and it doesn't matter if you die as you don't drop them (as long as you haven't used them). You get 1000 souls for each feeding them to Kingseeker Frampt.

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:47:09 21-01-2013
  • Dr_Mech 21 Jan 2013 02:26:15 940 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes O+S down in newgame plus, solo without solaire.

Fuck me I actually found Smough tougher solo, ended up having to use humanity for the heals, kept burning through Estus flask. Most of Super Ornsteins attacks are purely physical (except the OHKO grab move and the Zeus lightning toss) but ALL of Super Smoughs attacks have a lightning component.

Quite glad I heavily invested into a +14 pyromancy glove (yes I know I could have ascended it but for some reason she wasn't giving me the option), managed to use Greater Combustion to burn Ornstein down fairly sharpish.

It is a bastard solo but it can be done, Ornstein is weak to fire but strong to lightning, Smough is strong to fire but weak to lightning. Super Smough is a pain because he becomes strong to both Lightning AND fire, unlike Super Ornstein who still has his fire weakness.

The key to the fight, for my build, is a high stability shield with good lightning reduction. Farm some souls, go see the Merchant in Sens fortress and pick up the Thunder Stoneplate ring (adds lightning defense) and depending on your stats try the Stone Guardian Greatshield that is if your doing Super Smough first.

For Super Ornstein just a good stability shield like the Greatshield of Artorias, Balder shield (not sure if it was nerfed in a patch though) will do in a pinch should be enough.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 02:34:43 21-01-2013
  • fiery_jackass 21 Jan 2013 09:41:44 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    The best place full stop is Chasm of the Abyss in the DLC. If you don't have the DLC then its Depths most likely.
    second vote for the Chasm. However, if you don't have the DLC, the best place by far is the area just before Nito in Tomb of the Giants. Kill all the Pinwheels, then break out a sword with a good horizontal sweep, stick on the Evil Eye and Golden Serpent rings and get chopping on those baby skeletons. Move quick to pick up the humanity before it disappears though.
  • teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 09:53:12 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    The best place full stop is Chasm of the Abyss in the DLC. If you don't have the DLC then its Depths most likely.

second vote for the Chasm. However, if you don't have the DLC, the best place by far is the area just before Nito in Tomb of the Giants. Kill all the Pinwheels, then break out a sword with a good horizontal sweep, stick on the Evil Eye and Golden Serpent rings and get chopping on those baby skeletons. Move quick to pick up the humanity before it disappears though.
    Yeah I didn't mention ToG because it's not quite as accessible as the depths plus you only have a second or two to loot the bodies before they despawn. With some perseverance it can work.

• Mr_Sleep 21 Jan 2013 10:36:14 16,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd be very surprised if one isn't past O&S if they've had a go at the Tomb of the Giants. Good shot for grabbing humanity though.

Oh and with regards of O&S. My way of doing it is to summon Solaire, get to the point where he has Smough concentrated on him and then get Ornstein away from that fight. Concentrate on taking Ornstein down before Smough kills Solaire. One Ornstein is down I find that the major attack of concern from Smough is his area of affect lightning one where he jumps up in the air and lands with his arse, as long you get far away from that and make sure you have your shield up (preferably a shield with high lightning resistance) then you should be okay. Also, try to get in close by rolling forwards. Of course, get rolling out of there when he starts the animation to jump upwards.

Alternatively, watch a youtube video :-)

• Architect_z 21 Jan 2013 15:00:10 2,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No way! Just got defeated by someone using a whip! lol
    It was fire/chaos version. (He did use a balder side sword at first), he was a good match. Then when my health was too low, he got a whip out! He whipped it out! and whipped me with it! O the innuendos!

First time i've been whipped to death
  • quadfather 21 Jan 2013 15:01:27 10,543 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    It was fire/chaos version. (He did use a balder side sword at first), he was a good match. Then when my health was too low, he got a whip out! He whipped it out! and whipped me with it! O the innuendos!

glol :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dr_Mech 21 Jan 2013 15:43:09 940 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:

Yeah like the Shotel, Whips ignore shields so apparently they're a great humiliation weapon if someone starts turtling up.

Also
  • Architect_z 21 Jan 2013 16:58:13 2,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr-Mech - Is that true? Whips ignore sheidls? Fluff-balls!

I'm gonna grab me a whip!!!
  • teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 17:51:23 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whips are awful.

So are the players that get beaten by them.

:p

• onestepfromlost 21 Jan 2013 17:54:49 1,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    onestepfromlost wrote:
    ill just rely on my homing soul mass if they go for a BS
    And I will just roll dodge it :p
    Touche good sir :p
  • senso-ji 21 Jan 2013 18:38:10 5,300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Whips are awful.

The Sanctuary Guardian tail is ok. I've seen it used in PvP a few times and it does seem to be a viable weapon in skilled hands.
  • Architect_z 21 Jan 2013 18:45:27 2,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @teamHAM - I'll whip it out infront of you in a second. *cough* I mean, I'll whip you in a second......!!!! YEAH!!!
  • teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 18:54:09 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    Whips are awful.

The Sanctuary Guardian tail is ok. I've seen it used in PvP a few times and it does seem to be a viable weapon in skilled hands.
    Yeah I respect that.

And in all fairness I am very much a "try anything once" kinda person. And Dark Souls is the sort of game where almost anything is viable in skilled hands.

• teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 18:54:43 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    @teamHAM - I'll whip it out infront of you in a second. *cough* I mean, I'll whip you in a second......!!!! YEAH!!!
    omg! *runs for the hills*

• Architect_z 21 Jan 2013 19:06:02 2,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Calm down Dear, its only a commercial
  • teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 19:11:26 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't watch the commercials. Especially when that one is on.

• onestepfromlost 21 Jan 2013 19:11:42 1,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    on talking about this ive noticed that the notched whip does damage through shields and if taken down the magic route does fire damage as well as bleed. intersting.
  • teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 19:13:08 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only thing that disappoints me about the whips is their movesets.

They're so bad.

Surely they could have worked in some animations for cool looking cartwheel-somersault style Indiana Jones moves for them.

Edited by teamHAM at 19:14:13 21-01-2013

• onestepfromlost 21 Jan 2013 19:20:33 1,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah? ive not tried them at all yet. There goes that idea as a back-up weapon. Might give it a little test and see how it goes.
  • teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 19:40:02 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah do try it. Anything can work with the right skills and perseverance.

• Architect_z 21 Jan 2013 19:48:41 2,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can you buff whips? Dark moon whip could be funny. ^_^
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Jan 2013 20:35:28 16,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I recently restarted on the PC version with a sorcerer since I'd never got around to playing one and I managed to kill Capra on the second try, I'm quite chuffed, the first time I was massively under prepared but fortunately I remembered to go get some of the green moss stuff for stamina so it ended up being reasonably straight forward. As always, there was one dodgy moment where I almost died as I forgot about his lunge attack that does much more damage.

• teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 21:29:23 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Congrats. Capra Demon is basically an immensely easy boss that just has pseudo-difficulty added on by the mutts and the bumrush at the start.

Always a pleasure to kill it though.

• teamHAM 21 Jan 2013 21:33:56 2,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Can you buff whips? Dark moon whip could be funny. ^_^
    Afaik yeah you can buff the whips with DMB and stuff. I seem to remember it doesn't show up until you actually lash though. IIRC whips cannot be parried aswell which is a nice thing. And although you can parry them, you cannot actually perform the riposte, or backstab. It might have changed since I last used a whip but that's what I remember.

• fiery_jackass 21 Jan 2013 23:06:29 368 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    whips buff but it hardly turns them into powerhouses. Use them the odd time for giggles, especially if someone's spamming parries. Never noticed them ignoring shields though (apart from the slow bleed build)

the guardian tail with a rotten pine buff is fun and pretty much instant poison. Bit on the heavy side though.
  • erekose200 22 Jan 2013 03:01:57 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started a new build recently and decided to do a dex/str one. First time using great shield not named 'eagle'. Loving the Stone GS with it's excellent elemental resistances. Even started beating some invaders for once.. Capra Demon is really easy with decent armour and a melee build.
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last