Dark Souls Page 698

• Page

of 1218 First / Last

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:23:17 13,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @sanctusmortis - it's a good shield to protect against fire, certainly. I can't remember what the stability is like, which is the other important factor apart from the resistances.

Depends what you want and how you play really -

Grass crest shield - very good for 2 handed players + stamina regen
    Silver knight shield - good all rounder
    Crest shield - very good for magic resistance
    Greatsheild of artorias - will stop a truck (but you can't parry as it's a greatshield). Highest stability in the game iirc
    Spider shield - very good for poison + toxic resistance

If you parry a lot, then you want a light or medium shield (target shield is best shield for parrying). If you're not bothered about parrying, consider one of the greatshields for their extra stability

Heater shield is a really good all rounder too. Plus it's light.

One exception to the rule is the great iron shield. It deflects attacks like a greatshield, but you can also parry with it. Shiva drops it.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• sanctusmortis 18 Jan 2013 13:42:25 9,707 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I could do with a 100% physical that parries well. Recommendations for that?
  • quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:44:43 13,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All the ones I've quoted above are all 100% physical with the exception of the grass crest shied - I never bother mentioning stuff that's under 100% except that shield, as it's normally used when you 2 hand anyway, so you're wearing it for the stamina regen, not the protection.

And the only one that doesn't parry is the greatshield of artorias, so pretty much anything else on the list really

• senso-ji 18 Jan 2013 14:15:54 6,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The only Shield I use for PvE and PvP is the Heater Shield. 100% physical reduction, good fire resistance, light, and with a fast parry action (this is different to shields that are designed for parrying).
  • Architect_z 18 Jan 2013 16:31:26 2,389 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Grass Crest - For strength build
    Artorias - For strenth build

For any other build - Knight shields (black/silver) - They are great all rounders.

For best parries - Heater is best. It has 100% physical and can parry well
  • quadfather 18 Jan 2013 16:37:05 13,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Grass Crest - For strength build
    Artorias - For strenth build

For any other build - Knight shields (black/silver) - They are great all rounders.

For best parries - Heater is best. It has 100% physical and can parry well
    Dunno, I'd say the best shield for parrying, is the parrying shield. I know it hasn't got 100% physical, but if we're talking parrying specifically...

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 16:37:30 13,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MeWeb wrote:
    What do you think about this game it is worth anything??

Thanks for reply:)
    What do you mean worth anything? Do you mean is it worth selling? Or worth playing?

• Architect_z 18 Jan 2013 16:38:40 2,389 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't parry myself, youre most likely right, but I meant as an all rounder. I like my shields to have atleast 95% physical.

There also the parrying dagger. ^_^
  • Big-Swiss 18 Jan 2013 16:38:49 8,209 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    in 100 years it will be worth tousands!
  • Big-Swiss 18 Jan 2013 16:39:37 8,209 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    and yes, I suck balls at parrying
  • Architect_z 18 Jan 2013 16:53:43 2,389 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think for dark souls 2 they should give great shields a proper L2 function, I think you should be able to do a little charge, and knockdown your opponent or something
  • teamHAM 18 Jan 2013 17:18:49 3,116 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All the shields mentioned by quaddy are pretty good. I tend to use either Silver Knight Shield or Grass Crest Shield if I'm parrying. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

If I'm blocking up I use Greatshield of Artorias. That thing is a wall. No point upgrading it because the stability doesn't change and it's expensive. I do love the dull clang of metal on the shield when people try in vain to get to me through it.

:D

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 18:14:19 13,192 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a pity the new cleansing shield isn't 100, as it has ace resistances

• sport 18 Jan 2013 19:06:32 12,798 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I assume someone's posted the greatest DS video ever.
  • onestepfromlost 18 Jan 2013 20:18:35 2,108 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 7 years ago
    Strangely annoying yet hypnotic

Don't want to be at work want to be playing ds

Edited by onestepfromlost at 20:19:18 18-01-2013
  • teamHAM 18 Jan 2013 22:37:34 3,116 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm about to activate hard mode on one of my NG+ with....

Calamity Ring!

Figured that would be challenging, doing a whole playthrough with Calamity Ring equipped.

Ultimately, a NG Level 1 Pyro run with Calamity Ring. Would need someone to drop the ring though. I NEED TO PASS SOME TIME UNTIL DS2!!

• Dr_Mech 19 Jan 2013 01:56:31 1,048 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    All the shields mentioned by quaddy are pretty good. I tend to use either Silver Knight Shield or Grass Crest Shield if I'm parrying. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

If I'm blocking up I use Greatshield of Artorias. That thing is a wall. No point upgrading it because the stability doesn't change and it's expensive. I do love the dull clang of metal on the shield when people try in vain to get to me through it.

:D
    The other joy of the Greatshield of Artorias is that if anything that bleeds or poisons/toxics hits the shield, it ignores the effect and your meter doesn't build up, basically making it better than shields that give high bleed/poison resistance on blocking like the Spider Shield or the Bloodshield.

The major downside are the somewhat high strength requirements (34) and the fact you lose the parry for a much, much less useful shield bash.

One other item that might be useful is the Eagle Shield, while it was nerfed (in my unpatched game it blocks 100% physical damage, in the patched game it only block 95%) for the lightning blocking but...eh..it is only useful for the one boss fight you're about to come up against and only for 1 or 2 attacks which you can usually easily avoid.

There is Havel's greatshield which does have better overall damage reductions (100% physical/90% Magical/80% Lightning/80% Fire) and only 4 less Stability but that beast require 50 strength to onehand and even my dedicated strength build only has 41.

For general all purpose work I use the Greatshield of Artorias though, switching to the Stone Greatshield for magic/lightning and the Black Iron Greatshield for fire.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 02:13:48 19-01-2013
  • Lotos8ter 19 Jan 2013 09:14:09 2,364 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @sanctusmortis - what the others have mentioned plus the Balder Shield
    Good stability from the word go and looks ace. Its kind of a rare drop from Quad's favourite Knights but you can buy one in Sen's...

Fiat Lux

• teamHAM 19 Jan 2013 09:38:48 3,116 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dr_Mech

Yeah obviously I'd only use GSoA on a strength build since it has a high requirement. If I'm not a strength build I will use Silver Knight Shield for 100% protection and Grass Crest on my back when I'm 2 handing. For Blighttown I will use Spider Shield if I remember.

Eagle Shield was pretty much the go to shield for everything pre-nerf. Great stats and low requirements for a greatshield made it amazing. However they patched it and now it's not as attractive. I never use it now. 5% might not seem much of a difference and yet it is.

• Elathron 19 Jan 2013 13:07:03 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Greatshields are only useful against bosses and things that cannae be parried. Everything else is fair game to riposte. And using a GS against people in PvP is heresy! Heresy I say! Don't listen to me, I've got a migraine and I'm being an elitist moaner haha...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Mola_Ram 19 Jan 2013 13:15:35 8,005 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If I want to parry I do it with my bare hands. Like a MAN. Seriously, it looks so badass.
  • Elathron 19 Jan 2013 13:21:39 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mola_Ram - Sheesh :p At least use a claw!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• teamHAM 19 Jan 2013 13:47:05 3,116 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Elathron

Yeah, try parrying normal mobs at SL70 in NG++ with Calamity Ring on. It gets messy I tell you! :p GSoA all the way. I love Silver Knight Shield for parrying though. It really turns me on.

But yeah, in PvE I am talking about with GSoA. PvP nah. Although more and more people I encounter who I invade are just turtling up with big shields and poking me with sharp objects :(

• onestepfromlost 19 Jan 2013 14:40:05 2,108 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ive not tried parrying at all might try make a build for it once i finish my firat playthrough.
  • fiery_jackass 19 Jan 2013 21:18:22 514 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    teamHAM
    Although more and more people I encounter who I invade are just turtling up with big shields and poking me with sharp objects :(
    Ahh, but it's lovely to watch them panic as they try to figure out why that funny, sickle-looking sword seems to be hurting them
  • senso-ji 19 Jan 2013 21:25:34 6,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Although more and more people I encounter who I invade are just turtling up with big shields and poking me with sharp objects :(
    You need to practice backstabbing with lock disengaged. They can't escape that if they turtle and try to walk backwards.
  • onestepfromlost 19 Jan 2013 21:34:24 2,108 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 7 years ago
    I happen to like turtling and poking :p since my other skills suck. and ill just rely on my homing soul mass if they go for a BS
  • sanctusmortis 20 Jan 2013 21:31:17 9,707 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anor Londo is the brick wall against which I am repeatedly crashing. Last time I played, Smough and Ornstein double killed me, and I'd had to use my last Humanity to get there with a summon (Solaire). So, now have nil Humanity (literally - not a single Humanity/Twin Humanity left), and I'm stuck utterly and quite frustrated. Guess I have to go it alone...

Going to go off, play some Syndicate, and come back to it.
  • onestepfromlost 20 Jan 2013 21:44:54 2,108 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 7 years ago
    that was my brick wall. i totally stopped playing the game for months, was in the same situtation, no humanity to unhollow and summon, so having to take them on myself till eventually i did it. when you die you can get back to them in about 3 mins though from the bonfire. If you decide to try to farm humanity i dont think the silver knights count as kills towards humanity, think only painted guardians do.
    EDIT: or as someone suggested earlier maybe see if you can get yourself summoned.

Edited by onestepfromlost at 21:45:26 20-01-2013
  • Page

of 1218 First / Last