Dark Souls Page 696

• Page

of 1195 First / Last

• Elathron 17 Jan 2013 10:00:45 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Perhaps they'll ramp up the strength with the upcoming patch designed to sort out some of the DLC issues. Speaking of those, has anyone had it where you save on a ledge and when you reload the game thinks you're inside the world mesh and catapults you to a grisly demise with no hope of ever getting your body back (seeing as it's usually 10 feet into a wall)? It's only happened to me since the DLC came out, but it's happened twice in Iz and once in the oolacile Township. Each time I lost my stack of humanity and I won't even dare to say how many souls. FFS I swear I've lost about 100 million over sine Nov2011...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 17 Jan 2013 10:23:47 11,860 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never come across that

fallen through the world before. but only once

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Elathron 17 Jan 2013 11:15:18 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Maybe it's an Xbox issue then? The place in Iz was the ledge that you can see the body on that holds a brave warrior soul (it's quite tricky to get to), just above the first courtyard you come into and face the stone demons. I've tested this and yes, it does seem to be a glitched area. If you drop down and pick up the soul from the small ledge, then save/quit, the game thinks you're somewhere else seemingly. When I reload there my char has disappeared, I finally catch up with him falling through the world :(

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 17 Jan 2013 11:23:36 11,860 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know exactly where you mean. I'll try it on ps3/pc

• Architect_z 17 Jan 2013 12:09:48 2,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They should do something about the great king greatsword? (Gwyns sword). Theres not really any reason to own it, it has crap scaling, the damage isnt good enough, theres no fire/chaos damage (which is odd considering its on fire when gwyns using it) and its non-buffable. Considering its the weapon of the final boss, it sucks ballsack.

I think they should (at the very least) add fire/chaos damage to it.
  • Elathron 17 Jan 2013 12:30:19 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Architect_z - It's the same for most weapons though buddy :( +15 regular weapons outweigh the uniques by a mile (and then some). In terms of how that translates; think about it like the power of the weapons/armour is dwindling along with the Lords and Gods of Lordran. Anything that's created by you is going to be powerful, but the old Gods have kinda lost it!

• Elathron 17 Jan 2013 12:30:54 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Cheers buddy, it'd be interesting to see if you get the same issue - can't remember which way I was facing however, but that shouldn't be an issue?

• quadfather 17 Jan 2013 12:42:38 11,860 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Soon find out :)

• Elathron 17 Jan 2013 12:48:45 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Just make sure you don't have any humanity or souls that you don't wanna lose on you!

Edited by Elathron at 12:48:55 17-01-2013

• Architect_z 17 Jan 2013 12:48:58 2,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - Agreed, and i'm really glad that normal weapons can be as good as special ones.
    But most of the special weapons have unique attributes. The Dragonking Greataxe has an AoE attack, Dragontooth protects you against magic and fire attacks...etc.
    Gwyns sword does fork-all.
  • quadfather 17 Jan 2013 12:56:00 11,860 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @quadfather - Just make sure you don't have any humanity or souls that you don't wanna lose on you!
    It's ok mate, I'm used to it :)

• Elathron 17 Jan 2013 13:04:40 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Architect_z - Yup. Same as his armour - same as him I s'pose. I swear it used to be buff-able or was that people glitching it? Going by the description, it wouldn't be chaos, Gwyn is scared sh*tless by humanity! I personally think that it should be a fire weapon (pure) or have a similar ability to Ornstein's spear (shooting lightning, perhaps instead it should shoot fireballs?). There're a few other notable weapons that don't possess abilities - the many Greatswords that Artorias seemingly owned only have the wind up attack (awesome when it hits an enemy mid swing) & Smough's hammer is pretty darn shite. I guess it's just for show - like a great many items in the game :(

• teamHAM 17 Jan 2013 13:33:07 2,758 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    let's hope in DS2 they fix this :) I'm becoming moist in anticipation of more news about the game now.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Elathron 17 Jan 2013 13:49:16 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM - You're only just getting moist? Sheesh, I'm still hard for Evil Santa's sack haha!

• Architect_z 17 Jan 2013 14:40:11 2,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @teamHAM - You're only just getting moist? Sheesh, I'm still hard for Evil Santa's sack haha!
    I lol'd
  • Scurrminator 17 Jan 2013 14:55:01 8,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So is it considered cheating if you get a phantom to help with bosses?
    Also do you need to remove both tails on the bell tower gargoyles to get the rare weapon? I did one but cannot find the loot drop :-(

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Architect_z 17 Jan 2013 14:58:36 2,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Scurrminator - It's not cheating, but anyone who uses phantoms is considered a pussy.
    I think only one of the gargoyles (on the bell tower) drops something. The other gargoyle items/weapons are found later on in the game

^_^
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Jan 2013 15:05:11 2,380 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Scurrminator If you cut off a gargoyles tail then the gargoyle axe (piece of crap moveset) drops - that's a definitive drop. Only one of the two bell gargoyles got a tail so there you go.

Additionally there is a drop chance to get either the gargoyle helmet or the gargoyle halberd (excellent weapon) when a gargoyle dies. Later in the game you'll get around to kill some more gargoyles and at that time you may have an item to improve the drop rate. Chances are pretty high to get all the stuff, at the latest in NG+.

Oh and don't spoil the game by reading about it too much in the wiki if it's your first run, for fs.

;)

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 15:07:15 17-01-2013

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 15:08:01 17-01-2013

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 15:08:57 17-01-2013
  • Scurrminator 17 Jan 2013 15:20:32 8,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm using the wiki only to explain stuff.
    The game is EXTREMELY SHIT at telling you what things are/their purpose.
    Whilst I'm enjoying the game immensely this is the one aspect I hope they flesh out a bit. I don't need way signs everywhere but at least give me some fucking clues. I had a shitload of sun talismans or whatever and didn't have the faintest idea what to do with them!
    Also Invaders can fuck off and die! Assholes!

• Scurrminator 17 Jan 2013 15:21:04 8,386 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And that fucking red dragon that I spent about 100 arrows on before i realised the cunt was healing himself after 50% damage!

• teamHAM 17 Jan 2013 15:24:03 2,758 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had every item that Gargoyle's drop in the game drop from the boss, if you cut the tail aswell. Gargoyle Tail Axe, Gargoyle Halberd, Gargoyle Shield, Gargoyle Helmet (or whatever it's called).

I've also had the tail axe off one of the other gargoyle's. Most playthroughs I will end up with two or three of every gargoyle item. I swear they must have patched it recently because I don't remember getting so many gargoyle items when the game was new.

Edited by teamHAM at 15:25:51 17-01-2013

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Cannon_Fodder 17 Jan 2013 15:25:27 216 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Scurrminator Personally I love the vagueness around items. Yeah, you make a lot of mistakes but from the games release I believe it helped create a community that was based on helping others and sharing information.

It's for this reason that I would say the majority of the forums I visit based around Dark Souls aren't full of elitists ready to make you bite the curb whenever you feel the need to ask a question. At some point everyone needed a bit of help, a bit of information or a bit of clarity. It's one of the unspoiled games of this generation.

Apart from the odd idiot in PvP that is.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 15:27:22 17-01-2013

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• Dr_Mech 17 Jan 2013 16:35:13 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    I'm using the wiki only to explain stuff.
    The game is EXTREMELY SHIT at telling you what things are/their purpose.
    Whilst I'm enjoying the game immensely this is the one aspect I hope they flesh out a bit. I don't need way signs everywhere but at least give me some fucking clues. I had a shitload of sun talismans or whatever and didn't have the faintest idea what to do with them!
    Also Invaders can fuck off and die! Assholes!
    If you're on the Xbox, press X when looking over an item and that will switch to an item description, usually this will give you some hints. One of the early keys (the basement key) actually outright tells you where to go and about one of the bosses (and hints at the pair of annoyances that come with him).

This will also switch to a screen which gives you the stat parameters of an item (how much strength/dex/intelligence/faith you need to wield it).

Yeah the game does obfusicate a lot of stuff though, I will give you that.

Scurrminator wrote:
    And that fucking red dragon that I spent about 100 arrows on before i realised the cunt was healing himself after 50% damage!
    Yeah before the patch he didn't reliably regen himself (he still does in the base game but it is 50/50 whether he does or doesn't), while he is worth a lot of souls early game (10,000) if you kill him, by the time you're getting to midgame that isn't much of an issue. You only need to cut off his tail to get a sword which can be done fairly easily.

Architect_z wrote:
    @Scurrminator - It's not cheating, but anyone who uses phantoms is considered a pussy.
    I think only one of the gargoyles (on the bell tower) drops something. The other gargoyle items/weapons are found later on in the game

^_^
    Also don't listen to him, considering the game does everything in its power to dick you over, summoning phantoms is fine in my books, sure the really hardcore do it without phantoms but...eh...I did the hardest boss in the game without summons and it wasn't much fun, sure the elation for beating the bastards was amazing but fuck me I'd prefered to have had the chance to summon...

Also be warned for some fights summoning Phantoms actually makes the bosses harder, they gain more health if you bring even the NPC phantoms along, there is actually one fight where it is extremely detrimental to bring the NPC phantom along.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 16:42:36 17-01-2013
  • greg_wha 17 Jan 2013 16:44:45 191 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fuck me this thread is enormous! I picked Prepare To Die up last weekend and haven't fired it up yet. Quick question; would you recommend playing Demon's first?
  • Architect_z 17 Jan 2013 16:45:55 2,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I kinda agree with scurr-dude on some things. On one hand, I love the fact the game tells you next to fork-all about items, weapons, where to go, what to do....etc.

But some things (incuding large areas of the game and a few bosses) would have never been discovered by myself had I not checked the wiki.
    On my first playthrough I missed The Painted World, Ash Lake, The big tree, the Return to the Undead Asylum and alot of Lost Izalith
    Its mainly because I did the whole 1st playthrough unaided. I suppose the upside was, I had new places to visit on my 2nd playthrough. ^_^

Its a hard choice, I love people finding out about stuff, and mentioning it on here, or doing abit of bedtime reading looking at what to do, or where to go next etc. If it was all explained, we wouldnt have this excellent community behind the souls games.
  • Architect_z 17 Jan 2013 16:47:07 2,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @greg_wha - In honesty, it doesnt matter. They are not really connected. They are just very similar
  • Dr_Mech 17 Jan 2013 16:52:52 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    From what I've been told, probably play Dark Souls first, Demon Souls is the harder of the two and goes out of its way to kick you in the balls to the point you have to beat a fairly tough boss (at that stage of the game) before you can even level up.

Demon Souls and Dark Souls don't have an interlinked story for the reason of *cough*copyrightandnameownershipbelongingtoadifferentcompany*cough* so you're going to miss nothing storywise by skipping Demon Souls.

Actually speaking of which little things I've noticed that I've grown to love. The combat, rare in this day and age, has weight. By this I mean it looks like your character is swinging around a big old hunk of metal, so many games do sword combat and they're swinging around these fucking huge swords as if they're made of tinfoil.

The fact that I only noticed recently that the game has no music apart from bossfights, meaning the clanking of your own armoured footsteps or the dripping of water/ooze and the skittering of things in the dark are the only other sounds.
  • Architect_z 17 Jan 2013 17:01:51 2,374 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - Its probably my favourite aspect of this game. I used to love stuff like devil may cry, where he had a massive 2tonne sword that he was swinging round like it was a tennis ball on a piece of string.

The weight of everything means the impact is appreciated so much more. When some big demon with a huge axe, lands an attack it damn near (if not) kills you in one hit. Or if a guy double hands a big sword and smashes your shield with it, it takes away your breath (stamina). It really makes the game so special, if not more realistic.
  • Dr_Mech 17 Jan 2013 17:11:15 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One thing that made me notice was that even if you block say the Tarus Demon, the impact of that huge axe on your shield actually forces you character to go roll up and go with the kinect force of the impact briefly before gaining your footing again.

Nice little touches like that remind you that while your character is Undead and thus can exceed the boundaries of normal human, you're never superhuman just better than normal people.
  • Elathron 17 Jan 2013 17:14:56 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dr_Mech
    The combat, rare in this day and age, has weight. By this I mean it looks like your character is swinging around a big old hunk of metal, so many games do sword combat and they're swinging around these fucking huge swords as if they're made of tinfoil.
    You know, this is what drew me to the game. I think about 300 pages ago I made a comparison to Dark Souls and Skyrim. We all came to the conlcusion that the staff at Bethesda must live in world of string puppets and people who have the aerodynamics of brick related products...

• Page

of 1195 First / Last