Dark Souls Page 685

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• erekose200 7 Jan 2013 08:26:15 81 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some invaders are just trolls that like to play hide and seek or lead you on a merry chase through the level before - committing suicide by jumping off a ledge rather then face you. Pathetic.
  • Cannon_Fodder 7 Jan 2013 08:33:02 216 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Speaking of invading, joined DMB Cov. Struggling to find people to invade (SL 62). Might not be the most ideal level but I want to get started on Souvenirs, are there any popular places to invade people at this level? I'm thinking Painted World. I managed to get one person in Anor Londo last night out of an hour of trying and in the end I couldn't find him.

Also one for the vets, what area did you usually hit up after Anor Londo? Right now I've just been using my time to collect the odd weapon or ring that I've missed. Headed down to The Catacombs to get the right of kindling, is it around time to pay Nito a visit?

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• Dangerous_Dan 7 Jan 2013 08:51:01 2,378 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder With the Darkmoon Blade Cov. you invade everybody around your own SL or below.

So if you are at a higher SL then you have more potential victims. Invade where you think people usually use allies, where did you yourself see most of the summon signs? Not only choose a good area but also the best place in that area for invading. Every area is cut into pieces by fog gates or things like the big turning platform in Anor Londo. You can only invade when the other player is in that specific section of an area.
    So you want to use the sections where they spend a lot of time, like where they usually wait to summon other people.
  • Architect_z 7 Jan 2013 10:41:21 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder - I'm at SL 120 in DMB covenant. I can almost constantly invade in the painted world. At SL62, i'd give New Londo a go. I got quite a few there.
  • Elathron 7 Jan 2013 11:02:32 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, if you feel up for it with DMB. Invade at the Darkroot Garden bonfire, behind the illusory wall. There's so many people resting between PvP fights that you'll invade almost constantly.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Cannon_Fodder 7 Jan 2013 11:40:02 216 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll give a couple of those places a try tonight after work and post how I get on.

Cheers!

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• fiery_jackass 7 Jan 2013 14:00:46 456 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cannon_Fodder wrote:
    I'll give a couple of those places a try tonight after work and post how I get on.
    ... and be prepared for people to moan at you if you use the DMB buff as it's viewed by loads (including me) as being rather over-powered and fun-spoiling
  • Architect_z 7 Jan 2013 14:11:05 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @fiery_jackass - Really? I didnt know the DM buff was considered cheap. It is kinda overpowered, however (in my experience) sunlight weapon is just as powerful. Can't really comment on CMW, coz i've never had a magic character.

I suppose as the elemental buffs (resins) have been nerfed, the faith/magic ones should be nerfed. Then again it takes alot of effort to get the DMB+3, so maybe its justified? debateable I guess.
  • teamHAM 7 Jan 2013 14:27:22 2,738 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The power of the weapon buffs are offset by their short duration. Anybody with a brain will just back off you until your buff runs out, and then lagstab you off the edge of a cliff.

I have a faith build in the Darkmoon Blades and while at the start I was all over DMB now I am usually swapping it out for something else. Occult weapons do less than a +15 with DMB sure but are far more reliable, and you have an extra slot for something potentially more useful than a buff that lasts a minute or whatever it is.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Elathron 7 Jan 2013 14:53:43 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DMB isn't overpowered, but yes, a good player will just roll outta the way of any buffed weapons. This can be useful and a hinderance all at once... If you're using this buff and someone begins a-rolling, make sure you have a TwoP to really show off your skills :D Or use a bleed build-up weapon - they can roll, but they can't hide!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Dangerous_Dan 7 Jan 2013 14:55:28 2,378 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I consider the lagstab off a cliff a very skilled maneuver. Anybody complaining about lag stabs should try it himself before moaning. :)
  • Elathron 7 Jan 2013 15:27:06 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - hehe, they're ok, but sometimes it's a tad ridiculous as you know Dan! When people teleport behind you from miles off, or when damage you deal takes 5/10 seconds to register you know it's time to reset the router :D

• Dangerous_Dan 7 Jan 2013 15:34:24 2,378 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hehe, yes I know some or even a lot of them are cheap backstabbers. But what I really dislike is not the backstab but the behaviour of some of them afterwards.

Time your roll well and estimate the timing of my heavy weapon attack to roll through it, lock off, turn around and backstab me. I'm okay with that.
    But the thing is that the cheaper the move because of lag advantage the more stupid the behaviour of them.
    Well I guess that goes hand in hand personality wise.
  • Architect_z 7 Jan 2013 15:36:44 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd consider the cheapest miracles/magic, basically any of the dark magic, wrath of the gods is too overpowered. Combustion maybe?

Thing is, they can all be countered in some way. I'd almost say that there isnt really many cheap ways to fight someone. Estus regenning while being invaded i'd consider cheap, but I could always use Lloyds talisman etc.

Edited by Architect_z at 15:38:40 07-01-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 Jan 2013 15:38:30 2,378 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I consider lag the cheapest thing out there, everything else can be dodged, even turned on the user.
  • Architect_z 7 Jan 2013 16:09:55 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Great magic barrier. Nuff said. ^_^
  • teamHAM 7 Jan 2013 16:13:18 2,738 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    I'd consider the cheapest miracles/magic, basically any of the dark magic, wrath of the gods is too overpowered. Combustion maybe?

Thing is, they can all be countered in some way. I'd almost say that there isnt really many cheap ways to fight someone. Estus regenning while being invaded i'd consider cheap, but I could always use Lloyds talisman etc.
    The thing is we are in danger of getting into a situation where we are just saying everything is overpowered/cheap/nasty/un-necessary.

People hang around at Level 1 in places like Undead Parish with Lightning Shotel +5 and Great Combustion with a fully upgraded Pyromancy Flame and when the guy they invaded starts healing they are calling cheap? Please.

The only thing I call really cheap is backstabbing, and maybe the Combustion pyromancies. At least parry/riposte takes a bit of skill and timing. Backstabbing in PvP takes none really. And Combustion/Great Combustion/Black Flame all give about a quarter second warning time and even then it's easy to get caught in it due to lag. It's kind of like the spell version of a backstab :p Of course both Combustion and Backstabs require melee range, but as I say lag plays a part most of the time.

Everything else I'd say is mainly ok. Yes Dark Magic is extremely powerful but there is Magic Shield, Magic Barrier (GMB is hugely effective) and of course your reflexes. I've also found most people running Pursuers and Dark Bead have TCC as their catalyst. Which means 1 cast of Pursuers in most cases. High risk, high reward. The doesn't really make it overpowered.

Edited by teamHAM at 16:14:32 07-01-2013

• quadfather 7 Jan 2013 16:26:41 11,806 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You want to try pvp'ing where you've never actually killed anyone - it doesn't matter what fucking kit, method or spells I have/employ :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Architect_z 7 Jan 2013 16:30:08 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It would be nice if you could parry a backstab, as in, 'press L2 when someone presses the attack to do a backstab' and you do a quick turn and small slash attack which takes off a bit of damage, not alot though.
  • Elathron 7 Jan 2013 16:32:15 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM - Agreed, Dark magic is a tad OP, but it's kinda obvious when someone's about to launch a few spells at you. The only one that gets on my tits is Dark Bead, especially when I'm bowing & someone just walks right up to me and casts the full thing in my face. Cheapness aside, it's not the spells or the equipment that're cheap; it's the bucket load of chavs who've taken over PvP once they've realised there's so much grief to be cause by taking advantage. Blame the workman, not his tools.

But also as you saw from when we got invaded whilst we were "stocking up" - I like taking on invaders on my terms :D

Edited by Elathron at 16:33:30 07-01-2013

• teamHAM 7 Jan 2013 16:45:23 2,738 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    It would be nice if you could parry a backstab, as in, 'press L2 when someone presses the attack to do a backstab' and you do a quick turn and small slash attack which takes off a bit of damage, not alot though.
    Yeah I do agree actually. The worst part about the backstab is there is no counter at all. The age old argument of "don't let them get behind you then" is completely null and void with the amount of lag there is.

And yeah, Dark Bead is the worst when cast up close, and it has hardly any cast time. I'm sure I cast it on Smough for like 1400 damage the other day. Pursuers also does huge damage but as I said most of the time you are only facing down 1 cast. Dark Orb is harmless due to the long cast time and Black Flame is almost the same as Great Combustion.

Oh, another thing we haven't mentioned regarding Dark Magic.

Silver Pendant > all dark magic

:p

• teamHAM 7 Jan 2013 16:46:39 2,738 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Elathron

Yes, and it's about time you got yourself back online for some more shenanigans :D

• Elathron 7 Jan 2013 16:54:28 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM okok.... I'll leave my X-Com fix for tonight haha!!! 35 UFO's shot down and 5 more to go. Just want the 1000g as always :D I'll be on from about 18:30 buddy.

• Architect_z 7 Jan 2013 17:07:05 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wanna start playing XCOM, got it for xmas. But abit preoccupied with Tekken Tag 2 atm.
  • Moshbag 7 Jan 2013 17:43:30 106 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think like teamHAM says, most stuff is fair game for me, there are cheap shots out there, but it's the lag that's the real killer. I had one guy invade and kill me with that dark bead thing before I knew what it was, so I sent him a message asking what the spell was as it looked cool. His reply was hilarious: "spell is called dark bead from DLC, so sorry for killing you, sorry". Pretty sure he wasn't being ironic either.

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off!

• erekose200 7 Jan 2013 18:29:13 81 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't agree with dark magic being overpowered. The only significant additions are Dark bead and Pursuers. Pursuers can be outrun as long as one does not panic and Dark bead is just about keeping distance and rolling. Sorcerers desperately needed an addition to their arsenal because the vast majority of their offensive spells were all but useless in PVP; being effortlessly dodged.
  • Architect_z 7 Jan 2013 18:48:33 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ekeose200 - I don't mind the magic itself, its just the damage it can deal. Plus I think any magic that follows its victims round is totally lame.

I think what magic should have been introduced was an area of effect magic, like a magic alternative of wrath of the gods, or something similar to fire tempest.
  • fiery_jackass 7 Jan 2013 18:56:11 456 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The whole "cheap" or "OP" discussion is a bit over-done & pointless, sorry for starting this one off. Mostly I guess it's just about what tactics I find boring, or would make me feel like a skill-less dick if I won using them. For what it's worth, my opinion is as follows:

(note all relate to 1v1. All bets are off for 3v1 where you're the "1")
    CHEAP/TROLL/SHITTY PLAYER:
    WotG/Combustion spam
    TWoP, especially at spawn
    Spawn jumping or attacking whilst opponent is bowing or doing initial buff
    Pursuers & Dark Bead combo
    Persistent laggy BS fishing
    Running off into the level away from a 1v1 (although it can be hilarious)
    Healing during a 1v1

IRRITATING/BIT CHEAP/FUN REDUCING i.e. don't do them myself unless the person's annoying me:
    Gold Tracer spam (can be parried, but the risk of missing with that bleed build-up, yuk. Bad weapon)
    Dark Bead spam
    Roll BS spam (involves a bit of skill though)
    WotG
    Darkmoon/sunlight blade and, to a lesser extent, CMW. Makes games over too quickly, not as much fun

THINGS THAT ANNOY ME ALTHOUGH THEY'RE HARD TO JUSTIFY
    spear pokers
    stunlockers

I agree that lots of these are arguable e.g. why shouldn't someone use WotG or DMB given the soul investment that could easily have gone on VIT or whatever. That's what makes these discussions so very exciting. *cough*
  • teamHAM 7 Jan 2013 19:10:14 2,738 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    would make me feel like a skill-less dick
    I read that as skinless dick for some reason. :o

Sorry, carry on :p

• Page

of 1193 First / Last