Dark Souls Page 684

• Page

of 1205 First / Last

• HitchHiker 6 Jan 2013 13:24:58 2,776 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I have the shield and better sword and am attacking from above which manages to take around a quarter of his health. It's at this point it all goes wrong.

I'm about to try again.
  • teamHAM 6 Jan 2013 13:34:55 2,987 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @HitchHiker

Make sure you rotate around him to always stay behind him, backing off when he lifts up into the air to do his butt slam.

When he pulls back his weapon to get ready for a horizontal swing get ready to roll to the side and you can avoid damage.

The only other thing I will say is don't be greedy. When you get behind him only take one or two swings at him, keep the rest of your stamina for dodging his attacks. I personally found it easier to go 2H with my weapon and ignore the shield altogether, but you have to learn how to dodge properly do this.

All in all, if you stay very close to him (just avoiding the butt slam) his chances of damaging you are limited and he should go down pretty easily.

Don't give up.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• ZuluHero 6 Jan 2013 13:45:01 4,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And use the pillars of the room, especially if you need a swig of estua
  • Architect_z 6 Jan 2013 14:03:15 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @HitchHiker - Good luck buddy. We will be ready to give you advice on the next 2 bosses. ^_^
  • HitchHiker 6 Jan 2013 14:08:28 2,776 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally defeated him. Found that unselecting him after the plunge attack helped a lot. Still took a few tries though.

Need to find the manual now as I have various things tha I don't know how to use.

Edited by HitchHiker at 14:13:34 06-01-2013
  • Dr_Mech 6 Jan 2013 14:22:35 1,040 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok just come across the only fight I consider "cheap" rather than "difficult".

The Gwyndolin fight, his attack patterns are so fucking random. If he chooses to do his Homing Soul Mass followed by his big high damage one hit attack, there is sweet fuck all you can do about it, you can't move out from behind the pillar otherwise the Homing Soul Mass hits you, you can't stay behind it because the other attack ignores the pillars, meaning you're going to take the big hit.

Even with Havel's set on (which gives the best magic defense in the game) and the Crest shield up it still does a fuckton of damage.

Whats worse is that every video I watch on the boss fight people say how 'piss easy' he is but during their runs he never does the homing soul mass followed by big hit attack.

Might be cheap and buy some poison arrows and see if I can hit him at the start to poison him and play the waiting game...
  • Architect_z 6 Jan 2013 14:38:38 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - I find some people can be stumped by various bosses. I had massive trouble with Nito yet everyone else found him really easy.

With mr magic/arrow man, you can only get a few hits in and by now you've probably found charging while hes firing arrows at you is the best way to deal damage.
    You can outrun the homing mass, stay in the same position for aslong as you can, if he looks like hes about to fire a soul spear, thats when you roll sideways.
    If timed right the homing mass and spear should hit the wall around the same time.

Try running away from the pillar for 1 or 2 steps and then doing a roll to evade the magic.

If i'm honest, i'd avoid bothering with heavy armour or using a shield. Evasive manueveres are enough to win this battle. ^_^
  • erekose200 6 Jan 2013 15:30:23 81 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I love this game but sometimes it makes you rage. I went human to fight the gargoyes in NG+, lo and behold some dick invades and runs off like the coward he is to lure me to the balder knights. I stand outside the entrance waiting for him but he circles round the back, (which I am obviously on the lookout for), he then proceeds to BS lag me, not once but 3 times in a row.

The world would be better off without tossers like that, if you're going to invade have the decency to fight fairly and/or honourably. What the hell do they get out of it, fucking twats.
    You have my sympathies. Although it's usually too late, if I realise in time that they are cowards I will pull out ANY stops to beat.
  • Tuffty 6 Jan 2013 16:45:52 1,612 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dammit, I just completely fucked myself over in Blighttown on NG+. 90000 souls and rocking 8 humanity and I drop on the large wheel to my death. Made my way up to reach the bloodspot when I got careless and fell again, losing it all.
  • teamHAM 6 Jan 2013 17:49:35 2,987 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've died a few times there aswell. Especially when you are riding up to the top and trying to get off the moving platform, occasionally I just spaz through the floor for some reason.

I always, always pack a Ring of Sacrifice these days. As I've got better at the game and done a bit of PvP I seem to be carrying more souls and humanity around and having lost 600k odd souls just before Christmas I always get me a Ring of Sacrifice just in case.

• erekose200 6 Jan 2013 18:43:06 81 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella

It seems like we have quite similar builds. I use a level 192 sorcerer with an enchanted great scythe and crystal catalyst. My intelligence is 92 so I can 2-3 shot most bosses on my NG+ run. I don't think I will do a NG++ as my character will hit max in it's areas of specialization and start to lose differentiation with other characters. Plus I tend to die more from my own foolishness rather then anything else these days (excluding pvp of course). Either a new build or Demons's souls for me next.

What do you think of the Manus catalyst?

Edited by erekose200 at 18:43:42 06-01-2013

Edited by erekose200 at 18:44:07 06-01-2013
  • Moshbag 6 Jan 2013 19:38:37 106 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:

The world would be better off without tossers like that, if you're going to invade have the decency to fight fairly and/or honourably. What the hell do they get out of it, fucking twats.
    Yeah its really annoying. Whenever I invade, I always bow and fight as fair as I can. The only time i'm ever cheap is when either the host fights dirty, or theres 3 players who're basically waiting for an invader to gank.

IF I invaded someone for backstab wins, it'd be really boring.
    OK this has prompted me to post in the thread. I've recently gone back to the game for a full co-op play through, and to play the DLC too. I was invaded regularly throughout, and probably nine times out of ten the fight ended with the invader doing some ridiculous teleporting backstab. Your post implies that there is a special technique to this, whereas I had always assumed he had rolled to avoid my attack or circled, and fortuitously found himself in a backstab position (while on my screen was nowhere near my back and lag took care of the rest).

If it's the former then the fact people are specifically out to do this is even more annoying (the aforementioned fucking twats)! It was bad enough my friend and I were (for want of a better word) trolled in the Undead Burg by invaders who obviously didn't level up but had played a lot of the game and got various powerful lightning weapons and strong armour, basically one hit killing poor saps like us.

Anyway, this play through has really soured my opinion of the whole invasion element, but aside from that it was as fantastic as ever.

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off!

• Moshbag 6 Jan 2013 19:57:25 106 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That would certainly work as an option. I don't really mind the invasion too much if I didn't think connection speed was the main factor in determining the outcome. I'm sure it wasn't anything like this bad when I first played, maybe because more people were on and invasions were optimised by connection (obviously I have no clue how this works!).

One good thing is that my friend and I can happily chat away on Skype while we wait out some douchebag running around trying to find us.

Edited by Moshbag at 19:58:05 06-01-2013

• HitchHiker 6 Jan 2013 20:34:15 2,776 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sh**y fu**ing coc*ing shi**ing game! I was doing ok until some Cock invaded with his super red guy and spread fire all around me. Fuck off you cock! Now I keep dying and can't get to where I was and I'm expecting another arsehole to show up and kill me at any time.
    Can't be fuc*ed with that.
  • HitchHiker 6 Jan 2013 20:45:11 2,776 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I just don't get this game at all. There's no manual with the Steam version and the one I did find online was next to no use.
  • fiery_jackass 6 Jan 2013 20:46:20 477 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    there are a couple of good counters for BS fishers, although nothing works 100%. EWGF has some good youtube videos on the matter

Excessive BS Fishing also qualifies the person as an asshole, thereby granting me licence to break out Wrath of the Gods or, if I get the time, a buff I'd normally never use in PvP e.g. Darkmoon/Sunlight Blade.
  • TheCrane 6 Jan 2013 21:04:36 100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I seem to be a bit stuck in the painted world... I foolishly attacked Priscilla, so now I have to beat her to get out. I can barely hit her at all when she's invisible, and so far I haven't seen any signs of other players I could summon :(
  • Moshbag 6 Jan 2013 21:37:33 106 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for the video post fiery_jackass, I'll have a look.

@stephenhedley, I seem to recall you can poison her, set fire to her, or cast a miracle like tranquil walk of peace, or fire an arrow into her, all of which can help you to locate her when she's invisible. Also I think you can see her footprints in the snow, which may be of help.

I'd also like to post that on my final run to the final boss in my latest playthrough, I stumbled upon my first ever Vagrant. I had no clue what the hell it was, I was just laughing at it thinking it looked like a turkey (from a distance), then it almost killed me in one shot with a volley of needles, the wee bastard! So nice to have a game still hold surprises after you think you've seen everything it has to offer.

• Moot_Point 6 Jan 2013 21:46:35 4,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Finally bought this yesterday and kind of regret it at the moment. The Asylum Demon is turning me into bloody mush every time. I'm just not any good and it sounds like it only gets harder. :(
    Choose the fire bombs as a gift. Then you can kill him without having to run through, and get his hammer.

Edited by Moot_Point at 21:47:09 06-01-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Moot_Point 6 Jan 2013 21:54:32 4,184 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HitchHiker wrote:
    Yeah, I just don't get this game at all. There's no manual with the Steam version and the one I did find online was next to no use.
    You need to be in human form to call other players to help you, so remember that if you are having problems with the bosses. Helpful players will leave their signs near bonfires. If you get invaded too many times, you could always play in offline mode.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Lotos8ter 6 Jan 2013 21:58:41 2,360 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @stephenhedley - yeah, its what Moshbag said, look for the footprints in the snow. You'll eventually get a sense of when she's going to attack and can get a hit in first. Watch out for Bleed damage (she can do LOADS). She doesn't stay invisible for the whole fight so ride it out, a weapom with a good wide swing can be handy for keeping her at a distance and getting the first damage in as she uses a dagger.

Fiat Lux

• TheCrane 6 Jan 2013 22:13:27 100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers you two, I'll give it a try with any remaining arrows and suchlike that I might have left. I'm sure I'll have it sorted within a few dozen hours.
  • Cannon_Fodder 6 Jan 2013 22:15:38 219 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @stephenhedley I defeated her this way:

Run from one end of the area to the other but make sure you end up on a part covered by snow. You'll see her footsteps come towards you. As they get to a certain point head straight for her and roll into/just to the side of her. I found I was always rolling just behind her missing her swing and then that left her open for a quick 180 and random jabs. Leave yourself enough endurance to run away, rinse and repeat.

It took me a long time as I did it with the Lightning Spear and it isn't fool proof, but it has worked for me twice. Cutting off her tail can be a bit of a pain because of its size. She leaves you plenty of time to heal so try and get to her without using any of your Estus Flasks (not too difficult if you sprint from the bonfire to the bridge and take out all the riff raff).

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 22:16:26 06-01-2013

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• Dr_Mech 6 Jan 2013 23:48:05 1,040 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally Gwyndolin down.

I did some farming, got my Vitality to 30 (so now the main stats are 30 vitality, 28 Endurance, 38 Strength) and bought myself the Magic stoneplate ring.

Took your advice and stripped down to my skivvies with just the stoneplate ring equipped, rolled when I needed to and wielded my weapon two handed (that sentance seems a little bit wrong...only in Dark Souls can I say that and mean something completely different).

Should I now focus on boosting up End, 30 vitality seems to be a decent amount for now or should I finish up boosting strength to 40?

Also I shall be farming for Titanite chunks, I have two Titanite slabs and not sure what to spend them on.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 23:52:54 06-01-2013
  • teamHAM 7 Jan 2013 00:37:17 2,987 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depending on what weapon you have increasing your Endurance first is a good idea. Strength builds tend to lean towards heavier weapons which require more stamina, you can mix increasing your Endurance and Strength up to 40. 30 Vitality is adequate unless you are planning a lot of PvP. I usually don't go above 20 vitality on PvE builds.

Of course, you can do as you please :)

• Page

of 1205 First / Last