Dark Souls Page 654

• Page

of 1201 First / Last

• mcmothercruncher 10 Dec 2012 18:06:11 7,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a couple of weird things today- first, I dropped down in the lift from the Darkroot Basin bonfire and rounded the corner to promptly fall straight through the floor, the drake tumbling alongside me... huh?
    Second, fought the Capra fellow with my "no shield" character and killed him to have the Jagged Ghost Blade drop from him... wha?

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 18:16:23 10-12-2012
  • Mughes 10 Dec 2012 19:55:40 16 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @teamHAM I fucking loved Ash Lake. There's not much there but visually it's such a cool area. Plus the Everlasting Dragon.

like words? like/hate videogames? I've got you covered overallverdict.wordpress.com

• teamHAM 10 Dec 2012 20:00:26 2,932 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh without doubt. It looks nice but there are also some other nice vistas to look at without the need to traverse a giant tree with many pitfalls along the way. ;)

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Mughes 10 Dec 2012 20:20:19 16 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's all about the adventuring yo. Although if you got down there before completing Anor Londo I imagine you'd be quite upset at having to climb back out.

INCIDENTALLY you guys who like slightly wanky game analysis might like this wee thing I wrote about the two Londo areas. Honestly if I could write endless essays about Dark Souls for a living I probably would. As it is I'm wasting dissertation writing time on them :-(

like words? like/hate videogames? I've got you covered overallverdict.wordpress.com

• mcmothercruncher 10 Dec 2012 21:04:01 7,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK THEN, I SHALL READ WHEN HAVE TIME ;)

Fuck, I'm not enjoying my no shield character. It has hugely upped the difficulty and brought back the kind of "oh shit, no!" panic I had going through the game for the first time ever, but the result is more frustration than fun.
    I'm trying no shield, no magic, no miracles, no pyro, no bows.
    Having to get creative with pulling mobs with dagger throws and whatnot. Really though, you see people saying "oh I play two handed all the time" all over the net. No they don't. They occasionally switch to a two handed swing and forget all the times they've been able to hurriedly grab for their shield in the tough bits.

There are numerous bits where you have no choice but to wade through mobs, trying not to get stunlocked (the undead upstairs in the church was FUN) and other times when a shield is a must unless you want to brute force it by getting a kill in, dying, going back, getting another kill in, dying etc. Yeah, I was working through the Blight Town plague dartblowers today ;)

A heavy weapon like the claymore and high poise so your swing isn't too readily interrupted helps, but, ugh, it's a bit of a grind actually...
  • bantamenace 10 Dec 2012 22:22:26 73 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just killed the Capra Demon for first time after MANY attempts. Jesus, that was hard!
  • brn 11 Dec 2012 06:20:44 231 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could someome explain to me how the hollow, unhollow system works? It seems to be very different from Demon's souls? What is there to gain from being unhollow, and can I be unhollowed by going back to my corpse. And how do I know which one I am?

@bantamenace got any tips? i'm trying to beat him right now... I figure it's a good idea to go up the stairs and try to find somewehere where it can't reach me?
  • PenguinJim 11 Dec 2012 06:26:05 5,853 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With your Humanity (after Reverse Hollowing at a bonfire), you can be invaded, and you can summon players or NPCs to help you with boss fights. If you die, you HAVE to spend a humanity to reverse hollowing again.

Look at the two-digit number in the top left. If the number is darky-black, you're Hollow. If it's brighty-white, your humanity is restored and you can summon and be invaded.

Higher numbers in the top-left also increase item drop chance and affect chaos damage. And possibly some other stuff.
  • fiery_jackass 11 Dec 2012 07:04:09 475 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Sigh, just lost 590'000 souls and 17 humanity.

Oh the joys!
    If it's any consolation, last night I lost 3.5 million souls and 99 humanity. I did this by forgetting to pick up my bloodstain WHICH WAS RIGHT BESIDE ME. Moral of the story: if you die, pick up your souls before going to bed as you may forget to get them the next day.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 11 Dec 2012 07:24:17 11,322 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Congratulations bantamenace, that Capra the first time around in the closed confines of that room with two cunt dogs raping your arse is one of the true bottle-necks of the game for me. More so than any other boss or area. And I mean that.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 09:54:07 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    have mastered the archives and only have to beat seath now.
    it is very hard, and I really don't want to try on my own anymore, but I don't have any humanity anymore.........

I'm afraid to teleport away, cause I don't want to enter the archives from the start again.......
  • Lotos8ter 11 Dec 2012 09:59:00 2,358 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Big-Swiss as bosses go, he's fairly easy unless you're going for his tail and unique weapon...

Be very wary of the shells on the way in, equip some curse resistance gear just in case and take your time.

Oh and make sure you smash the crystal in his cave first off or he doesn't take damage

Fiat Lux

• Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 10:01:00 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ;)) of course I'm going for his tale weapon, I WANT THAT! ;))
  • Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 10:09:58 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    and yes, those shells are awesome, they give nice items!

they are easy for me, since I just pyro the heck out of them;)
  • Lotos8ter 11 Dec 2012 10:26:36 2,358 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just to warn you - the tail can be a complete PITA - good luck, but you're going to die :-P

Fiat Lux

• Widge Moderator 11 Dec 2012 11:31:09 13,561 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My advice, get helpers at the bonfire before you go to the outside ice place, equip magic and let them hack away at his tail for you while you heal and ping damage at Seath.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 11:39:09 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    can you teleporte to that bonfire where I am at right now?
    (right before the crystal cave)

another question, so when and where can I enter the DLC?

and for once I can give a good advice: I got a maxed lightning axe, and it is perfect for the archives!
    Since I was stuck a bit in that area I did some farm rounds trough the archives with diffrent weapons, and I realized that from all "lighter" weapons a lightning one really does the diffrents.

I tried the fury sword and those crystal guys just wouldn't die!!!
  • Widge Moderator 11 Dec 2012 11:44:09 13,561 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't believe so, but it isn't as hard getting to that bonfire as it was when going through the level to start with.

Those bloody crystal guys are total sponges.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• teamHAM 11 Dec 2012 11:47:38 2,932 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Big-Swiss

Hi Big-Swiss.

Yes! The bonfire on the balcony (the one next to the field with all the crystal giants just before Crystal Cave) you can warp back to if you decide to leave the area. It's the only one in the whole of Dukes/Crystal Cave except one that pops up in Seath's room after you kill him. So if you need to leave the area to improve weapons or whatever then do it! :)

In terms of the DLC - you can enter the DLC now. You need to go down to Darkroot Basin to kill the Hydra, then the golem right at the back of the lake, to free Dusk. Once that is done go back to Duke's Archives (go in the front entrance from the Anor Londo warp bonfire is quickest) and once you go up the first lift there is a blue golem in the room. Kill him and he will drop a broken pendant. Now go back to the lake where you rescued Dusk and there will now be a black hole there. Touch it and enjoy :).

• Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 11:48:20 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 11:50:22 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thanks mate that helps!!
    I killed the hydra allready, but didn't have a clue you could get tp the other side of the lake;))

Edited by Big-Swiss at 11:51:17 11-12-2012
  • teamHAM 11 Dec 2012 11:51:58 2,932 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When you are facing the lake hug the left side wall, past the waterfall. Keep going. The water is shallow. Go round the corner to the left and you will see the golem. If you got Rusted Iron Ring use that and it's easier.

Edited by teamHAM at 11:52:37 11-12-2012

• mcmothercruncher 11 Dec 2012 11:57:50 7,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The patched version of the game allows you to warp to the bonfire above the crystal golems, the one near where Big Hat appears after you rescue him. You have to have sat at it though, obviously.
    Once you're there you can warp in and out.

By far the most effective approach for Seath is fire if you've got an upgraded pyro glove and some fireballs. Also for getting the tail by using Great Combustion at the tip of it- came off in five quick casts for me. I posted a video a few pages back- worth watching :)
  • Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 12:11:25 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think games from now on more like this, the game tells you nothing, and hundert nice gamers tell you everything!!!! awesome feeling this!!
    normally the game tells you everything and hundert gamers curse at you.....;)

Edited by Big-Swiss at 12:11:47 11-12-2012
  • quadfather 11 Dec 2012 13:05:50 12,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Yeah thanks Architect_z. It's funny because I was cruising along quite happily playing and yet since I lost those souls my character is just standing there, having not moved since losing the souls. I just dont have the desire now and I'm actually thinking about starting again with another character. Really weird.

Quad yeah usually I don't have that much on me but was thinking about summoning, using them to upgrade weapons instead plus yesterday I was being chain summoned at O+S at 25k a pop so that helped aswell. I did have 700k ish before I started upgrading armor en masse.
    That doesn't sound weird to me. I love having multiple characters on the go and trying new builds out. It's fun. My magic char has just taken out o and s first time - very chuffed. Though the duke's is kicking my arse

I don't do much pvp, but if you're getting that many souls a pop, you'll get back to a few hundred thousands relatively soon I'd have thought?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 11 Dec 2012 13:06:32 12,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Had a couple of weird things today- first, I dropped down in the lift from the Darkroot Basin bonfire and rounded the corner to promptly fall straight through the floor, the drake tumbling alongside me... huh?
    Second, fought the Capra fellow with my "no shield" character and killed him to have the Jagged Ghost Blade drop from him... wha?
    You're just weird :)

• BritishBlue1 11 Dec 2012 13:08:55 132 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks to this thread I just ordered Demon Souls and and Dark Souls: Prepare to Die off of Shopto. How long do you reckon it would take to complete them and possibly gain platinum trophies for both?
  • quadfather 11 Dec 2012 13:08:55 12,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mughes wrote:
    It's all about the adventuring yo. Although if you got down there before completing Anor Londo I imagine you'd be quite upset at having to climb back out.

INCIDENTALLY you guys who like slightly wanky game analysis might like this wee thing I wrote about the two Londo areas. Honestly if I could write endless essays about Dark Souls for a living I probably would. As it is I'm wasting dissertation writing time on them :-(
    Great read!

• Big-Swiss 11 Dec 2012 13:14:53 8,087 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    Thanks to this thread I just ordered Demon Souls and and Dark Souls: Prepare to Die off of Shopto. How long do you reckon it would take to complete them and possibly gain platinum trophies for both?
    400 hours
  • quadfather 11 Dec 2012 13:19:29 12,122 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    Complete them from scratch not having played them before? Mmmmm, well, you're going to need to get used to the way the combat works very quickly if you want to progress successfully. They really aren't like other combat games. Anything can, and will, try it's utmost to kill you on the spot. You can't button mash - you have to learn the ropes. It's basically a case of (most of the time) locking onto an enemy (just the one, mind, don't lure 3 at you - that'll be fatal to begin with), and with your shield up (vital), bait him to strike. Once he/it does, you may have an opening when you can get on top and finish him. Then there's backstabbing, parrying and riposting after a parry.

This post will go on for too long if I provide this much detail, so let's go for -

Master the combat
    Become familiar with the levels (Environment will kill you as much as the enemies)
    Get your head around bosses
    Get your head around bonfires
    Get your head around becoming 'human' and using that to summon other players and NPC's to help you out for bosses

The above is for Dark Souls.

For demon souls, it's the same except replace getting your head around human, with getting your head around soul form and character/world tendency

I'm sure people who have platinum'd both can give you timescales. It's harder to platinum demon's souls, because one of the achievements requires a certain amount of ore that you need to upgrade a specific weapon - and it's a complete twat to drop.

• Page

of 1201 First / Last