Dark Souls Page 652

• Page

of 1219 First / Last

• Architect_z 7 Dec 2012 14:40:31 2,438 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Senso-ji - Aye, I don't use the rapier, unless the host is cheaping me out (estus regening, or wrath of god spamming). Got a Baldur Sword+15 which I buff with Darkmoon weapon buff. I'm a Darkmoon+2 now so the buff is pretty powerful.
    Only I miss my strength character, I like smashing people over the head with big hammers.
    Hmmmm, might make a strength build. ^_^
  • quadfather 7 Dec 2012 14:41:11 13,428 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And now for something completely different

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mothercruncher 7 Dec 2012 17:51:26 7,894 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe, that's a work of genius :)
    I quite often have that spell ready if I'm in human form, do love it. It seems that some people are utterly fooled and others spot me straight away. I can't quite work out whether that is because the item and area aren't a good match sometimes, or it's more about whether the invader is paying attention.
    I got spotted (as a tree) regularly in the Forest while waiting for invaders. Not sure if your character still casts the light they always have whilst disguised, but I obviously stuck out a mile. In Anor Londo, as a pot, I quite rarely get picked out however.

What other game developer would have thought to put something so ridiculous (and brilliant) in?
  • teamHAM 7 Dec 2012 17:53:48 3,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, just done Artorias with my strength character, and wow. It was just so damn easy. I can confirm that it's many many many times harder to kill him with a pure magic char than a melee build, heavy melee at least.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• TOOTR 8 Dec 2012 03:50:38 9,652 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark Souls 2!

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• teamHAM 8 Dec 2012 04:27:09 3,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good grief I think I'm wet.

:eek:

Found a working link of the trailer here.

Edited by teamHAM at 04:43:30 08-12-2012

• Garlvinlandblueblood 8 Dec 2012 05:01:42 471 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jessica Alba...announcing Dark Souls 2... Sounds like the start of one of my dreams.

There's 'server based multiplayer'. Hope they finally fix the netcode.

Edited by Garlvinlandblueblood at 05:07:08 08-12-2012
  • Red_Bool 8 Dec 2012 08:09:56 1,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alrighty then. I think I'm at the final boss, so I started contemplating what to do when (if) I finish him and (possibly) start a NG+... Do any of you pros have some good advice (sure you do ;)) what to do before I finish? Do I keep all my titanite in NG+? Should I already start upgrading some weapons/armor for NG+? I think I've visited all the areas (bar the DLC, which I might get for NG+) and got all the embers.

Also if I take my current dex/sta/str character to NG+ (SL85), is it then a good idea to change the build a bit? I'm thinking of trying a more magic oriented approach.
  • Big-Swiss 8 Dec 2012 08:47:37 8,252 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    funny, needed two tries yeterday, and the 4kings vanished forever!!
    but yes, summoned some dude, and the fight took 3 minutes. Very cheap, but after what I experienced, after 3 hours of dying cheap is ok.

the dark hand, does anyone use it as his standart shield? I think it is very powerfull, but I can feel, that I would be the only guy using it as a standart shield.

I used the 4kings souls to dully upgrade my pyro-hand and to create some weapons. I'm getting to the point, that I have so many nice looking weapons, that I can't decide what to use. But the ultimative super power weapon I'm missing. probably cause I can't create +10 anymore.

I tried some diffrent MP modes of diffrent conevants, since I was satisfied with story after the 4 kings, but I just plain suck at it. Plus I never get the luck of fighting a weaker dude, it is always a stronger dude, and many times two stronger dudes, and on top of that I really really suck. I think I think too much and while I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, I get one hit killed. And for some reason they backstab me, even tho they aren't behind me. weird.

will jump into the painting now, I'm really looking forward to that area, it looks interesting and should have some cool loot.

I have to admit, my build isn't perfect, I do get a lot of gameplay out of my guy, and for me it is fun to play, switching around with weapons and tools and doing a bit of everything. But that is at the same time the problem, I also had to upgrade a bit of everything, and while the game gets harder, I often lack just a always a bit of something to really be badass and have to struggle fight my way to success.

perhaps toward the end I will need to farm a bit so I can upgrade to the point where I can defeat the last bosses, not sure, but the 4 kings kind of gave me that impression.
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Dec 2012 08:55:06 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Red_Bool
    All your keys besides the master key will be lost.
    All the embers will be lost.
    All the bonfires will stay at the current kindled level.
    You'll keep all your souls, all your titanites all your gear.
    You'll lose the Ring of Artorias and other items which you need to progress in certain areas like the doll key to the Painted World.

You'll want to upgrade your armour set to +9 or +5, depending on the set.
    You may want to start an upgrading of a weapon like, You've got no slabs or titanite chunks to bring a weapon to +15 but you can bring it to +11 - so you do that and can then upgrade it to +15 without the very large ember in NG+ provided you find the upgrade material.

You keep all your Estus upgrades.
    You keep all your magic spells. In fact buy/find all the spells in NG+ again and then stack them in your attunement slots. So e.g. , if you find another Power Within spell you can then put those two spells in your two attunement slots and have not one but two casts of the spell.

Try to upgrade either dex or strength to +40 and get the appropriate weapon you'll want to do damage, a lot of it. And put points into vitality, they'll hit quite a bit harder in NG+.
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Dec 2012 08:58:53 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Big-Swiss So you've killed Andre the blacksmith?

You should try the fire weapon route. Visit the blacksmith in the catacombs.
  • Big-Swiss 8 Dec 2012 09:07:40 8,252 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hey dan

yes, I did, wanted to put the controller down while standing in front of him, and R2 went into autopilot;))

I did, I created 2 fire weapons and a chaos weapon, but I need some red chunks for the weapons to really be powerfull.

I created one MAX litghning weapon.

I think the weapons aren't the problem, I think I just need patience and level up very wiseley from now on.

Oh yes, I'm reading about the Gwindolin and Gwynewere stuff, and I'm just to simple to dumb to really get what it means what I should do about those two. this whole dark ano londo sound interesting, that is for sure.

I know, you guys love the game for this, but I would somethimes not be upset, if they would inform me a bit more about stuff, figuring everything out on your own can be a bit confusing. I missed the subject "praise the sun" in school.
  • mothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 09:29:50 7,894 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Big-Swiss wrote:

...will jump into the painting now, I'm really looking forward to that area, it looks interesting and should have some cool loot.
    Super cool area, one of my faves- you're right on both counts.

Red, if you wish to continue the character into NG++ etc (it's worth it, if you enjoy playing them) it's worth just stockpiling items and materials.
    I.e. splunk lots of souls on useful items from vendors that will be locked away for a while in NG+. Also stockpile some humanity (rats in the Depths with high item disco rate) if you haven't much. Use that Humanity to fully Kindle as many Bonfires as you can be arsed to- you'll be glad you did as it's noticeably harder in NG+. Farm for Titanite from the Black Knights for a bit maybe in order to build up a stock of that and, if you haven't already get some of your fave armours up to +9.
    Lastly, feel free to kill any and all NPC's for a few souls and some humanity and, just because you're an evil twisted bastard, corrupted by the world (possibly). One blacksmith drops a rather cool helm. That sin doesn't carry over into NG+.

Initially, in NG+ you're going to notice the substantially larger health bars everything has, so you need to be hitting as hard as you can and have the highest defence you can. As a bonus though, I felt I was swimming in souls, initially, because the amount dropped increases too :)
  • mothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 09:35:03 7,894 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark Souls speed run, done in HALF AN HOUR:

Admittedly, with a glitch. But, just, Jesus. Some people know the mechanics of it inside and out.
    If you've ever struggled on a boss- watch it and weep.

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 09:35:16 08-12-2012
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Dec 2012 09:41:51 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Big-Swiss Level vitality and endurance and either strength or dex later for NG+ depending on your weapons preference.

Red chunks are found and harvested in Lost Izalith. In lost Izalith use lightning weapons.

I'm off buying and preparing some ducks.
  • mothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 09:42:11 7,894 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watch Mr Teflon go through Sens Fortress :eek:

Start at 4:30 mins.

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 09:43:17 08-12-2012
  • Big-Swiss 8 Dec 2012 09:53:09 8,252 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ok, thanks!

will follow the advices!

have to beat that boss before I can go to lost Izalith, and I'm mentally not ready yet to go back to the fire world.
  • sport 8 Dec 2012 10:02:21 12,818 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Dark Souls speed run, done in HALF AN HOUR:

Admittedly, with a glitch. But, just, Jesus. Some people know the mechanics of it inside and out.
    If you've ever struggled on a boss- watch it and weep.
    This is more impressive imo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0t97aEhFWI

Full speedrun in under an hour, no glitches. He heads straight for the Red Tearstone Ring, so for the majority of boss fights, he's under 20% health to activate it.
  • Red_Bool 8 Dec 2012 10:50:57 1,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan and Mr Cruncher - solid advice, thanks! I've already got my fav weapon to +15 (Balder side sword :)) and my wanderer outfit to +9 (been sticking with that for the maneuverability. Tried some other stuff, but aside from a gargoyle helmet I kept the original clothes). Might go and kill a couple of NPCs (there's a certain merchant that comes to my mind ;))
    After dex, str and sta got to 30 I started pouring points towards vit already. Will have a look which other weapons I want to get to +11. Need to get some stuff upgraded to do some elemental damage as well.

Sounds almost like I need to make a shopping list :)
  • neosalad 8 Dec 2012 11:55:59 953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yay !
  • Lotos8ter 8 Dec 2012 19:10:26 2,366 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got complete respect for those players doing Speed Runs. Epicnamebro is copying the hour one (glitch free) and I had a go myself before I completely fucked it up and then didn't get the drop. Its rock hard and playing of the highest order.

The speedrun starts with a Wanderer + master Key - Tutorial, down through Valley of Drakes to Red Tearstone, up the lift into Darkroot Basin and take on the Black Knight - must get Halberd (and do crystal lizard for Twink) then on to Andre Blacksmith -buy Battleaxe (better enemy stagger over starting Shortsword) then into Undead Church. Use the Balder Knight to activate red tearstone then do Gargoyles. All that in a few mins.

Fiat Lux

• mothercruncher 9 Dec 2012 09:21:02 7,894 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I made a chaos and a lightning claw for duel wielding last night.
    I'm frigging useless with them! I need a shield as a crutch from which to swing. Oh well. I was thinking of a "no shield" playthrough, thought it'd force me to really learn every enemy attack in order to dodge them. On that evidence, I'd last until 30 seconds after Firelink Shrine ;)
  • mothercruncher 9 Dec 2012 09:51:25 7,894 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh bugger, since I've typed that I've found myself idly flicking through the wiki... I have a no shield itch I am now compelled to scratch :p

Ok, no research so far, what would be good? Under 25% weight and DWG ring for manouverability? Or high poise for those precarious ledges... Perhaps a strength build and then go for big weapons that can stun lock for some mob control. Something that swings laterally to deal with multiple mobs. Perhaps a parrying dagger in left hand... hmmm!
  • teamHAM 9 Dec 2012 09:56:41 3,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was trying something similar last night - with the tracers. I thought I'd try to dual wield them and cope without a shield. As you say it's quite hard, when you are so used to shielding up.

This is on my dex char of course so I have the DWGR and <25% so can flip around to avoid damage. It actually works quite well but requires a lot of discipline as you basically have to read and dodge every attack. The dark silver tracer has a thrust attack (for toxic) but the hit box seems really small, so I'd imagine some other light weapon with thrust would be good with something like a gargoyle halberd for horizontal swinging to take care of big groups.

Edited by teamHAM at 09:57:56 09-12-2012

• teamHAM 9 Dec 2012 10:01:21 3,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Epicnamebro is copying the hour one (glitch free)
    Yeah I watched a bit of it, up to the point where he was trying to position the black knight to backstab him off the cliff... only to fall off the cliff himself :)

• Tuffty 9 Dec 2012 10:18:51 1,746 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SOLAIRE NOOOO!! My sunbro! My only bro! Got those feelings from Shadow of the Colossus all over again.
  • quadfather 9 Dec 2012 11:31:25 13,428 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    SOLAIRE NOOOO!! My sunbro! My only bro! Got those feelings from Shadow of the Colossus all over again.
    Awful moment isn't it

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mothercruncher 9 Dec 2012 16:33:18 7,894 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, don't get too obsessed with something so that, you know, it's all you think about and, you know, say, you constantly check the wiki to look at this fact or that fact etc. It can only end badly.... :confused:

I tried a no shield build today- boy that was an exercise in frustration. It took me so many attempts to get thorough the Burg it was ridiculous. Kept trying to parry the Knight for the ring. Failed. A LOT.
    Not sure whether I'll stick with it but will re-visit again to try some more. Under 25% is definitely beneficial, you need to mobility because it's easy to get surrounded and, without a shield to hide behind to think for a second, deaded. And It certainly upped the difficulty and I got the biggest rush in a LONG time beating the Taurus Demon sans shield and toe to toe. Have decided to do the "pat the head" gesture to every big kill with this one to celebrate ;)
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 20:38:21
    As someone who's just starting out in his journey. Is it worthwhile me purchasing the DLC?

Edited by NeverEatYellowSnow at 20:38:47 09-12-2012
  • teamHAM 9 Dec 2012 20:52:16 3,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @NeverEatYellowSnow

Are you just starting out as in never played Dark Souls before?

If so then it's not necessary to get the DLC yet if you don't want to. The content is good with some new items but the bosses are generally quite tough compared to the bosses in the vanilla game, and you cannot access the DLC until you are a decent way into the game.

So starting off and getting into the game first and then buying the DLC later when you are making progress if you are still enjoying it isn't a bad choice.

The DLC will activate on in-progress saves so you won't need to start again when you do buy it.

• Page

of 1219 First / Last