Dark Souls Page 651

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 6 Dec 2012 11:07:20 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather Favor and Protection Ring is on my finger. Crest shield is also a good choice and will most likely join my arsenal.

Artorias is the one to beat. It's just a matter of time....

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 11:08:54 06-12-2012
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 11:13:11 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    How the hell did you do manus at that stage to get pursuers? o_O

I too am addicted to getting more damage out, but I'm still too damn cautious and end up armouring myself up a bit. But on this character, I'm forcing myself to not do that. I am sticking to the dusk crown, antiquated chest (zero protection - solely for looks), black leather trousers and tattered manchete. Though I'll probably upgrade the trousers and manchete to be fair.

I've not dabbled with the rest of the dark magic - though I often get one shotted by it from invaders. I'm guessing things like dark bead when you're int-ed to the max can be quite devastating?
    Manus you really have to learn when he is going to do combos. Sif helps just because Manus is occasionally distracted. Also Silver Pendant helps when he throws magic around. It's a long intense fight though because he has a lot of health.

Overall I found Artorias harder because of the stupid tracking across the arena that most of his abilities do. For Manus his slams and things are fast but don't track as much.

Pursuers - is great plus it looks sexy. It moves slower than HCSM but homes in better. 3 casts (or 1 with TCC) for 2 slots is very expensive though.

Dark Orb - Basically a slow soul arrow. It's ok.

Dark Bead - It's like a conal attack. So the closer you are to the enemy the more damage you will do. Very good up close but on the weaker enemies can devastate large groups easily.

Dark Fog - Haven't really used it but it's like Toxic/Poison Mist Pyromancies

Dark Flame - Basically a dark version of Great Combustion
    Right. I see. I might give Manus another go. I got him to halfway after watching him a couple of times, and to be fair, I got him to half way by treating him like 4 kings - just wade in.

The one attack that he kept getting me with was his hand slap onto the ground - I kept missing that - I need to learn when it's coming. Didn't have sif at the time either.

Agreed on Artorias tracking, but for some insane reason, I found him fairly straightforward. You watch, I'll get my mage there and die repeatedly :)

Cheers for the dark magic info

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 6 Dec 2012 11:13:44 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @quadfather Favor and Protection Ring is on my finger. Crest shield is also a good choice and will most likely join my arsenal.

He's not that bad I find. Patience. It's all about patience.

• Seto 6 Dec 2012 11:17:51 671 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Managed to ring the 2nd bell on my SL1 last night, next stop Sen's Fortress.

Had such a fun time in blighttown (compared to my first run through), had a invasion (also a SL1) that I managed to beat off /snigger
    Then teamed up with the same person to kill the boss.
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 11:24:31 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And here's me, being proud that I made Anor with 'just' a mage characters :-P

• Big-Swiss 6 Dec 2012 11:45:28 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ok, so after accepting the fact of having one blacksmith less, I jumped back into the fun. I drained the water in new londo, which was good and fun part, but the failed again and again to reach the 4 kings.

Just hearing the name 4 kings and knowing I have to beat 4 guys in a row makes me frightened.......

But since I can't even rach them and have to start at firelink shrine again and again, I gave up for the moment, did some other stuff.

I also found the super large ember in new londo, which I can't use.......;(( but I will go to vamos soon and create some nice fire weapons!

I also created the fury sword, which is really awesome! and I created the Iron Axe, which I can't use, probably not strong enough.

but I do feel a bit left out, cause I can't create any +10 or +15 regular weapons anymore........

next step will be to defeat the 4Kings and then jump into the painting.

I gathered sme special nice weapons too last night. I got the ghost sword from the ghosts in new londo, and I got a big ass lightning spear from those flying things in anor londo.
  • teamHAM 6 Dec 2012 12:05:30 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think of it as 1+1+1+1 Kings. :) Which is what it is really anyway.

There are a few paths you can take to the Four Kings from the Firelink bonfire. Specifically a path you can take where you kill a few ghosts but avoid all darkwraiths, and another where you have to kill 1 darkwraith but can run past the others and any ghosts.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• Big-Swiss 6 Dec 2012 12:09:27 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cheers guys, as usual awesome help, this time teamHAM.

will try to find another way then!
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 12:15:20 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't let it get to you - new londo ruins always takes a while to learn the paths. Probably the longest level to learn. You'll get there. You can also summon Beatrice as an NPC to help you.

Since you can't do +15 on weapons on this playthrough, it might be worth looking at upgrading fire, or lightning onto your weapons instead. These don't scale with dex or strength, but on the other hand, they dish out a fair bit of damage, and the points you'd put in dex and or strength can be used instead for vitality and endurance, making you even tougher

• hypoBla5t 6 Dec 2012 12:42:13 1,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:

Crest shield worked well for me, upgrades with twinkling I think. If I might suggest, with such low health and stamina pools you might not be getting much out of that ring, perhaps use something to increase your movement speed instead if you're going to be doing lots of dodging?
  • Dangerous_Dan 6 Dec 2012 12:47:42 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @hypoBla5t I'm going with below 25% equip burden, always. Though I might get rid of the FaP ring and use a combination of Havel and Darkwood Grain ring. To have maximum mobility and be better at dodging.

For Artorias probably Red Tear ring + Darkwood Grain ring.
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 12:49:37 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hm

HMM!

I might have to roll a sl1 character now

Havel + Dwgr seems a good idea

For CHRIST'S sakes, will this game never end? :)

• Big-Swiss 6 Dec 2012 12:54:55 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thanks quad, will do when I go visit Vamos!
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Dec 2012 12:56:02 5,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For light characters, Big Hat's Robe is awesome- about 60 defense fully upgraded for just 4 weight.
    Not super keen on the looks personally, I prefer the black leather/ cleric stuff with Crimson skirt, but hard to argue with those stats. It's "boss gear" for me now.
  • Big-Swiss 6 Dec 2012 21:16:59 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had to stop after a fe hours of four kings, first i hardly could get there, had to learn how to defeat these undead knights, then i finally could pick them off easy, one by one, and found the super quick path to tge 4 kings.

Nobody really there to summon, and if so, they insta death because the aint carrying the freaking ring. Beatrice cant really help at all, and i seem to take too long. And whenever i do seem to do well, i still die!

What a frustrating evening!!!

Had to quit, would have gave up forever if waisted even more time....
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Dec 2012 21:20:14 5,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You've got to love the chutzpah of some people.

I've just worked through the DLC and, finally, have somewhere where it seems you can duel for Dragon Scales with reasonable success- the Township bonfire.
    I put a sign down, a couple of minutes later someone summons me to fight.
    Immediately as my character does the "stand up" animation, they cue up Crystal Soul mass and start wanging Soul Spears at me. No bow, no nothing. It's a proper duel, one that both parties have had to agree on, not an invasion.
    I just dodge left and right while they throw everything they've got at me, then, when they've run out of magic, I cue up Homing Soulmass and hit them a couple of times with a sword. Bang, they're dead.
    In a final move of pure class, they indict me. It was the most inept and chucklesome battle I've had in ages :lol:
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Dec 2012 21:27:45 5,723 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's tough BS, and one that gives most people chills, especially in NG+ etc.

Most summons for that battle seem to be left at the base of the lift down to the beginning of the area, rather than outside the fog gate, no idea why.

As for technique, I've always had the most success by just out-healing them. Don't even bother with a shield. Basically, use the Crest Shield (for the extra stamina regeneration) but have it on your back and two hand your most powerful weapon. Hack away, preferably toward around their backs to avoid the grab they attempt. Back off, just for the explosive AoE spell they do.
    Before going, kindle the Firelink bonfire up to the max and just neck Estus flasks whenever you're worried about health.

And, yeah, Beatrice is frigging useless!
  • SYS64738 6 Dec 2012 21:41:00 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got the Prepare to Die edition last night, feels nice to be back in Lordran!

This time playing as tank, it's surprisingly easy and I only die through sloppiness. Capra beaten on first try, and now helping others beat him. So far summoning works pretty well, netcode seems more stable...

And am glad that the trophies carry over from the original game, thank god I don't have to grind through some of them again!
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 21:43:13 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He means the grass crest shield, not the crest shield

• teamHAM 6 Dec 2012 22:13:07 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't forget when you have a summon it increases the HP of the boss. Beatrice is next to useless on 4 Kings so it's kind of counter-productive to summon her, as the 4 Kings will now have more health but Beatrice rarely does her share of the damage.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• fiery_jackass 6 Dec 2012 23:20:25 372 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I always like having Beatrice along for the fight. She seems nice.
  • Architect_z 7 Dec 2012 10:12:18 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone around SL120 please be aware that i'm currently invading around the painted world. And i'm clearly amazing at PvP now.
  • Tuffty 7 Dec 2012 10:40:42 1,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Took down the Centipede Demon in one sitting last night. Feels like nothing can touch me at this point!
  • quadfather 7 Dec 2012 11:28:02 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    Got the Prepare to Die edition last night, feels nice to be back in Lordran!

This time playing as tank, it's surprisingly easy and I only die through sloppiness. Capra beaten on first try, and now helping others beat him. So far summoning works pretty well, netcode seems more stable...

And am glad that the trophies carry over from the original game, thank god I don't have to grind through some of them again!
    Welcome back! :)

By the way, is your EG username related to the C64 equivalent of "poke" on the spectrum? Isn't it the highest Sys value you can have, or a significant one? I.e., was it a common one for infinite lives?

Apologies if that's random :)

• Architect_z 7 Dec 2012 12:15:39 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I needed a stabbing weapon for PvP (I like to have a stabbing weapon as a backup incase someone Estus regens during a fight.)

I used to use a dark silver tracer+5 because of the huge critical bonus. But then found an Occult Rapier+5 does more damage with both backstabs and ripostes (i'm using the hornet ring).
    I'm a dex/faith build, but would an elemental version have been more efficient? Should I have gone for a chaos+5 rapier?
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 Dec 2012 12:21:28 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago

Welcome back! :)
    That's so Demon's Souls!

'By the way, Elizabeth the shroom also says somethin like "May the flames guide thee.."
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Dec 2012 12:30:06 3,546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I feel bad for retiring this to the shelf (for a while) and not posting in here, but i think i burnt out on it after 170+ hours/Platinum trophy.

And it's the PtD edition i have retired too, barely got a spin in the drive before i shelved it. Although coming in here is causing an itch :)
  • quadfather 7 Dec 2012 13:49:38 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck - You know you're going to play it, so why put it off? :)

• senso-ji 7 Dec 2012 13:55:01 5,314 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    I needed a stabbing weapon for PvP (I like to have a stabbing weapon as a backup incase someone Estus regens during a fight.)

I used to use a dark silver tracer+5 because of the huge critical bonus. But then found an Occult Rapier+5 does more damage with both backstabs and ripostes (i'm using the hornet ring).
    I'm a dex/faith build, but would an elemental version have been more efficient? Should I have gone for a chaos+5 rapier?
    The Rapier has the most critical damage modifier, so the Occult one is a good one to stick with for your build. I think a +5 chaos Rapier was buffed in PTD? I was using +5 lightning one in my early PvP days; didn't win me many friends :)
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last