Dark Souls Page 650

  • Page

    of 1199 First / Last

  • Seto 5 Dec 2012 16:17:43 671 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Seto wrote:
    I've been trying my hand at a SL1 run-though of the game, and was shocked at how far I've got (just killed Sif). Not felt so good about a game like this for years!

    Has anyone had much experience with crossbows? Only have a divine +5 so far but its feeling very powerful.
    I was thinking of trying this - what's your character setup and armour/weapons?

    Not had much of a play with crossbows though
    Its really good fun, started with the Pyromancer (for the spells, and stats).

    Leveled up the starting armor and a hand axe until I could obtain the Havel Ring and Favor and Protection Ring, then swapped over to the elite knight armor.

    Currently using a mix of divine +5 hand axe / magic +4 battle axe and the crossbow along side a +14 Pyromancy Flame.

    I am missing being able to use a large chunk of the weaponry in the game, but is more than made up by the feeling of achievement when downing a boss or clearing an area.
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 16:21:58 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds cool. Missing the vitality and endurance much? Or is it a case of taking things a bit slower?

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Seto 5 Dec 2012 16:28:14 671 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Sounds cool. Missing the vitality and endurance much? Or is it a case of taking things a bit slower?
    I thought I would be, and started out very slowly. My equip burden on my older character was always above 50%, so keeping below 50% on this run has taught me the joys of good mobility.

    And once you start leveling up the elites knight armor to around +6 or more, you can start to take a few good hits.
  • Dangerous_Dan 5 Dec 2012 16:52:50 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Seto I just killed the sanctuary guardian with 15 vitality and 15 endurance so I can somewhat relate. Kudos to your achievements.

    Now for the best weapons you could/should use at SL 1.

    The crossbow is definitely interesting. To get the absolute stunning maximum damage out of the light crossbow you should upgrade it down the normal path. It will give you the most powerful crossbow in combination with normal bolts.
    You could also try the lightning crossbow +5 route but it is only good in combination with lightning bolts (700 souls a piece) and not good at all if the enemies have high lightning resistance (for example all the bosses in the DLC it seems)

    Also try the reinforced club sold by the undead merchant and upgrade it either down the chaos (if you are bold) or the fire path. It stuns a freakin lot.
    The handaxe is also an excellent weapon, it stuns very well, only weighs 2.0 units. Upgrade it either fire or lightning.

    Magic, divine, occult, enchanted are useless damage wise at SL 1.
    Divine will be usefull for the catacombs and for killing the skeletons that are with Nito.
  • Seto 5 Dec 2012 16:59:04 671 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan Thanks for the tips, will start getting those later tonight :)
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 17:03:05 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gahhhhh, you're making me want to do it as well! :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Dangerous_Dan 5 Dec 2012 17:24:50 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The cool thing about SL 1 is that it makes you very creative to push for the last bit of damage and armour.

    Later bosses like Artorias require you to learn his patterns and the counter moves by heart. The error margins will be very low and the reduced damage output makes the battles really quite long.

    The sanctuary guardian took me a very long time to take down. But it's such a great feeling to destroy him the proper way by dodging all his attacks and keeping the fight going for more than 5 minutes (it felt more like 20 minutes).

    Some bosses can be handled at medium roll speed but I'm not sure the Sanctuary Guardian or Artorias can be defeated at that reduced speed.
    I was rolling around below 25% and all the evasive rolls and the recovery were just in time to not get hit.

    Artorias is my nemesis right now.
    (have to learn his pattern and the counters)
  • mcmothercruncher 5 Dec 2012 17:25:28 6,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got it at +4 at the moment, it's cool, seems to hit for an average of 300, not uber, but v workable. The 1h/2h R2 hits are ace and come with knockdown power which is useful. Just buy a tonne of repair powder and/or make it a habit to repair at a bonfire.
    I think, on balance I prefer the fully upgraded Butterfly Horn though.
    The reach on it is amazing. You can hit people in the next postcode.

    In other news, joined the Dragon Cov to duel for scales. Can't get any action at all, is it broken?
  • fiery_jackass 5 Dec 2012 17:55:27 472 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Artorias is my nemesis right now.
    (have to learn his pattern and the counters)
    My problem with him was doing enough damage with the hand axe to block his buff, having decided that if he buffed, I was buggered. Think the key was a couple of great combustions followed by frantic chopping.
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 19:07:07 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I always use the time he's buffing to get my stamina back, heal up and recast a buff. He seems to hit that hard anyway, I'd rather use the time to sort myself out. Have to say though, my second char against artorias didn't get hit once. I think I'm starting to appreciate the value of learning movesets and rolling properly

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • teamHAM 5 Dec 2012 19:13:33 2,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Note to self: Pursuers one-shot Capra Demon.

    Time to dish out some sweet revenge! :evil:

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

  • Dangerous_Dan 5 Dec 2012 19:32:00 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @fiery_jackass Thanks for the tip, did you do him at SL 1? He's a real pain, I did beat him once already but that was with a SL 60 or so char.
  • fiery_jackass 5 Dec 2012 20:33:07 472 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    low level, not SL1, a sorry tale. I'd upgraded VIT a few levels, in error, some time before whilst messing about on the select menu with my brain turned off. Artorias made me end up putting a few END points on seeing as: that SL1 run was already frigged thanks to my stupidity; I was sick of losing my wee green bar and not having enough stamina left to fight back.

    I'll tip my Pharis Hat to you if you duff him up at SL1
  • teamHAM 5 Dec 2012 20:59:16 2,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    By the way, as this sorc doesn't wear much heavy armour, I'm sacrificing armour for Good Looks! Fuck Poise, and Fuck Defense!

    Dusk crown + Antiquated chest, tattered manchete and black leather trousers looks pretty badass. Just need the moonlight sword and or the butterfly horn now, for that ultimate bad ass look :)
    Try Pharis Hat, Xanthous Overcoat, Lords Blade Gloves, Black Tights. Looks especially bad ass if you have a female character.

    :p

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

  • hypoBla5t 6 Dec 2012 08:18:28 1,395 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got to 4 kings on SL1 with lightning battle axe, mask of the father, crest shield and a bit of giant armour... Was a pyro but as I was using wood grain ring I doubt this would work as well now post patch.

    I was so close to beating the bastards too but I just couldn't quite do it. Had to hang up my gloves in shame.
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 08:35:42 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No shame in that mate. Id be lucky to get to 4 kings, never mind beat em

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • mcmothercruncher 6 Dec 2012 08:58:42 6,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be lucky to make it to[/I] the burg ;)
  • Dangerous_Dan 6 Dec 2012 09:03:04 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have now started my SL1 char. I'm curious how things gonna turn out.
  • FourSevenZero 6 Dec 2012 09:34:07 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay I had a little play with the Silver Knight Sword last night and did a quick comparison

    With my 16 Str and 36 Dex and 36 Int Witch the Silver Knight Sword +5 = 262 + 109

    Using CMW with Beatrice Catalyst and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring = 660 and parryed at firelink for 1032

    Balder Side Sword +15 same buff = 654 for a 1013 parry

    So if my test was correct (it was really late!) pretty comparable weapons and the move set is pretty cool too
  • senso-ji 6 Dec 2012 09:37:45 5,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FourSevenZero

    Try Velka's Rapier riposte damage with your stats.
  • teamHAM 6 Dec 2012 09:42:00 2,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How is your sorcerer going quad?

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

  • FourSevenZero 6 Dec 2012 09:55:31 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @senso-ji Cheers for the heads-up, I'll give it a go, I've got a maxed one but never used it :)
  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 09:59:36 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I have now started my SL1 char. I'm curious how things gonna turn out.
    Give us the low down then - char? gift? plan? weapon?

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 10:05:12 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    How is your sorcerer going quad?
    It's going surprisingly well. Had a bit of a time dying a fair bit at the start getting used to casting and dealing with low vit + end, but I've sort of compromised now by getting vit and end to 17, put the fap ring on, and normally initiate a fight with magic and then finish off with melee.

    However, now I've got the dusk crown and the bellowing dragoncrest ring, the heavy soul arrow spell can one-shot pretty much any standard mob.

    Homing soulmass makes it a bit quicker running through areas too. (I play quite quickly, so took a while to adjust to the progress speed when zapping instead of stabbing)

    So she's now about level 37 and just done the Iron golem

    Tell you what, I'm finding magic brilliant for boss fights so far. Especially if you have a summon or an npc to distract - never thought I'd be able take on dark souls bosses this quick

    I'm at the "farming for a fucking balder side sword" stage though at the moment :)

    How's yours going?

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • teamHAM 6 Dec 2012 10:19:57 2,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah not bad.

    As you may have gathered I rushed through the bells and Anor to get to Seath and then the DLC for the magic. As you say magic is pretty terrible at the start because it's so weak and it has limited casts, and you also have low health and melee skills to boot. Once you get hold of some decent spells its alarming at just how quick the tide turns.

    I deliberately left Capra Demon and others and last night one shotted him with Pursuers and buffs.

    So now I will take it real slow for the rest of the game, taking my time and enjoying the change in pace from playing melee all the time. I also spent a little time helping others on bosses.

    Like you say, the difficulty on a lot of boss fights as a caster can hinge on whether you have a summon. With a summon they become trivial, without and the faster moving bosses can be tough.

    I am getting brave now, on boss fights where there is at least one summon, I occasionally rock Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk, Tin Crystallization Catalyst and Dusk Crown Ring. That is real glass cannon territory. It puts me on 359HP so with bugger all armour aswell any contact from the boss is a one shot, but I can deal really stupid amounts of damage. It's fun to try to keep pushing even more damage out.

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

  • Dangerous_Dan 6 Dec 2012 10:23:29 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, char is the pyromancer.
    Gift is the master key although I will probably not have much use for it.
    Plan is to complete NG at SL 1.
    Weapon at the moment is the hand-axe and I've bought the reinforced club, also collected the light crossbow.

    Taurus and Gargoyles are down.

    Real obstacles will be O&S solo, the Four Kings, Artorias, Manus and Kalameet - because I don't know much about those 3 guys yet.

    Equipment, hm,
    The Balder shield has a very high stability after upgrading.
    A lightning hand axe.
    A chaos reinforced club.
    A lightning bastard sword (can two hand that for special bosses)

    Probably the Red Tear Stone Ring for Artorias, make it rather quick and not get hit.

    For 4 Kings I'll use the power within pyromancy and or the stamina herbs. in combination with the cracked shield and bastard sword.
    The plan is to dodge all their attacks besides the magic missle(cracked shield has 70% magic defense and is very light) and kill them as fast as possible before they start to overwhelm me.

    Maybe I'll use the darkwood grain ring for some of the bosses because it makes dodging much easier.

    Sounds like a plan, right? ;)
  • teamHAM 6 Dec 2012 10:43:02 2,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Probably the Red Tear Stone Ring for Artorias, make it rather quick and not get hit.
    It's probably a good shout. You will need to be at 20% health or whatever it is for RTSR but then again at SL1 you will probably be one shot from 100% health anyway.

    Artorias is probably going to be the easiest* of the new bosses because he is the easiest* to dodge. That fight is all about discipline. It's only a matter of actually doing any damage to him at SL1.

    * = by no means easy. You will die. You will suffer. You will likely never achieve your aim. But stuck with multiple choices of certain death, it's your best option.

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 10:43:26 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Yeah not bad.

    As you may have gathered I rushed through the bells and Anor to get to Seath and then the DLC for the magic. As you say magic is pretty terrible at the start because it's so weak and it has limited casts, and you also have low health and melee skills to boot. Once you get hold of some decent spells its alarming at just how quick the tide turns.

    I deliberately left Capra Demon and others and last night one shotted him with Pursuers and buffs.

    So now I will take it real slow for the rest of the game, taking my time and enjoying the change in pace from playing melee all the time. I also spent a little time helping others on bosses.

    Like you say, the difficulty on a lot of boss fights as a caster can hinge on whether you have a summon. With a summon they become trivial, without and the faster moving bosses can be tough.

    I am getting brave now, on boss fights where there is at least one summon, I occasionally rock Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Crown of Dusk, Tin Crystallization Catalyst and Dusk Crown Ring. That is real glass cannon territory. It puts me on 359HP so with bugger all armour aswell any contact from the boss is a one shot, but I can deal really stupid amounts of damage. It's fun to try to keep pushing even more damage out.
    How the hell did you do manus at that stage to get pursuers? o_O

    I too am addicted to getting more damage out, but I'm still too damn cautious and end up armouring myself up a bit. But on this character, I'm forcing myself to not do that. I am sticking to the dusk crown, antiquated chest (zero protection - solely for looks), black leather trousers and tattered manchete. Though I'll probably upgrade the trousers and manchete to be fair.

    I've not dabbled with the rest of the dark magic - though I often get one shotted by it from invaders. I'm guessing things like dark bead when you're int-ed to the max can be quite devastating?

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • quadfather 6 Dec 2012 10:51:54 11,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Well, char is the pyromancer.
    Gift is the master key although I will probably not have much use for it.
    Plan is to complete NG at SL 1.
    Weapon at the moment is the hand-axe and I've bought the reinforced club, also collected the light crossbow.

    Taurus and Gargoyles are down.

    Real obstacles will be O&S solo, the Four Kings, Artorias, Manus and Kalameet - because I don't know much about those 3 guys yet.

    Equipment, hm,
    The Balder shield has a very high stability after upgrading.
    A lightning hand axe.
    A chaos reinforced club.
    A lightning bastard sword (can two hand that for special bosses)

    Probably the Red Tear Stone Ring for Artorias, make it rather quick and not get hit.

    For 4 Kings I'll use the power within pyromancy and or the stamina herbs. in combination with the cracked shield and bastard sword.
    The plan is to dodge all their attacks besides the magic missle(cracked shield has 70% magic defense and is very light) and kill them as fast as possible before they start to overwhelm me.

    Maybe I'll use the darkwood grain ring for some of the bosses because it makes dodging much easier.

    Sounds like a plan, right? ;)
    The standard pyro axe yes?

    Are you going to entertain the fap ring?

    Crest shield is 80% magic res, otherwise you'll have to go into greatshield territory to get any higher (Havels or Stone), but you're talking about weight though, so...

    Good call on dwgr - I've not been using it much in the new version because of the % roll. But now I'm not too fussed about armour, it might be valid for me again.

    The thing with Artorias that I've found is that you'll die a million times until you learn his moves, and then he becomes really easy. Much easier than other bosses once you've learnt them I find. Though this was with 30 vit + end + dex build, buffed to fuck....so... :)

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • teamHAM 6 Dec 2012 11:00:54 2,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    How the hell did you do manus at that stage to get pursuers? o_O

    I too am addicted to getting more damage out, but I'm still too damn cautious and end up armouring myself up a bit. But on this character, I'm forcing myself to not do that. I am sticking to the dusk crown, antiquated chest (zero protection - solely for looks), black leather trousers and tattered manchete. Though I'll probably upgrade the trousers and manchete to be fair.

    I've not dabbled with the rest of the dark magic - though I often get one shotted by it from invaders. I'm guessing things like dark bead when you're int-ed to the max can be quite devastating?
    Manus you really have to learn when he is going to do combos. Sif helps just because Manus is occasionally distracted. Also Silver Pendant helps when he throws magic around. It's a long intense fight though because he has a lot of health.

    Overall I found Artorias harder because of the stupid tracking across the arena that most of his abilities do. For Manus his slams and things are fast but don't track as much.

    Pursuers - is great plus it looks sexy. It moves slower than HCSM but homes in better. 3 casts (or 1 with TCC) for 2 slots is very expensive though.

    Dark Orb - Basically a slow soul arrow. It's ok.

    Dark Bead - It's like a conal attack. So the closer you are to the enemy the more damage you will do. Very good up close but on the weaker enemies can devastate large groups easily.

    Dark Fog - Haven't really used it but it's like Toxic/Poison Mist Pyromancies

    Dark Flame - Basically a dark version of Great Combustion

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

  • Page

    of 1199 First / Last

Log in or register to reply