Dark Souls Page 649

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 5 Dec 2012 09:45:54 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @teamHAM He has that much magic defense? Wow, Quelaag is pretty much resitant to fire damage but Artorias is resistant to magic, hm you did use an appropriate catalyst like Logan's to cast it right?

Just asking because this would then be a serious problem for any pure magic build.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 09:47:04 05-12-2012
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 09:49:28 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Done him now. Got a summon thankfully. It makes it so much easier because you get a bit of space to cast.

Weapons wise I have Lightning Estoc, Enchanted Gargoyle Halberd +4 (need to go back to dukes for the slab) and the Moonlight Butterfly Horn +3 ish. Usually at least one of those weapons is up to any task. I too didnt get a balder side sword but last night I managed to get one so I might have to farm more shards now. I went 410 item discovery, and went from the parish to the 3 knights in the front area of the parish, then round to the 4th one on the elevated walkway, then back to bonfire/homeward bone. The Sens area isnt bad either.

With the archers, go up behind the first pillar and wait for them to stop firing. Then cast the spell, ensuring you are out of sight, then run up the second ramp and they won't see you until you are right on top of them. Works wonders. I say this because if you cast it the wrong way it bugs and they still see you. So do a couple of test pokes round the corner to make sure it worked.
    Nice one.

That's *exactly* the route I use in the parish :) I'll get one, one day

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 09:51:54 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I'm dreading Artorias- no breathing space at all. Might avoid magic and try an upgraded Eagle Shield, poise ring and Butterfly Horn :(

Yup, hidden body is key to the archers. After many deaths (zero poise and very hard hitting arrows mean't I saw the floor of that place many times). I ended up running up the walkway towards them until about the 2/3rds point where their arrows hit the middle building and can't reach you. Then, I found I could poison the left archer with arrows, let him die, walk up to where I'm just about to round the corner, cast Hidden Body. Get onto the last run up to the ledge and cast a homing spell (but not before so that the orbs don't get damaged by the walk up) and then go up and stand on the ledge, get in range of the archer blocking the way and cue up my most powerful soul spell. That spell and the homing stuff killed him in one go, yay!
    Yeah, he's fast. Even if you know his moves, there's still precious little time to get some spells off. Especially as it sounds like they're only doing around 100 damage. I'll probably go back to melee for him tbh.

Trying to think how I normally do the archers. I can't actually remember :)

• teamHAM 5 Dec 2012 09:56:31 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

I used Sorcerer's Catalyst because I got 38 int, and apparently that is better if you are under 40 int. I also haven't got Logan's yet. However like I said I also wore the Crown of Dusk and the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.

Soul Spear hit for 231.

Edited by teamHAM at 09:57:26 05-12-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 09:57:44 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @teamHAM He has that much magic defense? Wow, Quelaag is pretty much resitant to fire damage but Artorias is resistant to magic, hm you did use an appropriate catalyst like Logan's to cast it right?

Just asking because this would then be a serious problem for any pure magic build.
    It says he's resistant to fire and lightning only, but who knows?

I found the biggest problem was not having enough reach with a melee weapon once I'd learnt his moves. I did it in the end with a balder sword, but the second time I tried him on a different character, I used a spear and it was a *lot* easier

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 09:59:22 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Actually, thinking about it, the balder sword (at 15) was hitting for around 300 ish, and that was with Great Magic Weapon, so I reckon a fairly decent sword with either that buff, or crystal magic weapon, or enchanted should be enough.

will have to see I guess :)

• Dangerous_Dan 5 Dec 2012 09:59:54 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Still astonishing but then he will be a really hard nut to crack for pure magic chars - especially in later NGs.
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 10:03:32 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I can imagine him being a nightmare to be honest.

Unless you time a huge soulmass attack while he's buffing himself

that might work

• Dangerous_Dan 5 Dec 2012 10:05:19 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather He's very vulnerable to physical attack, my berserk build ripped him apart with his great club +15 at 40 strength.

Btw. I did bring my strength char to the end of NG and he's now at SL83.
    And I've got another char who is at SL25 at the moment having cleared Anor Londo already. So if you need some coop help at low levels, I can pull you through to Anor Londo and beyond on the fast track, collecting all the stuff.
  • L_Franko Moderator 5 Dec 2012 10:06:47 9,686 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I played through the Catacombs for the first time last night (I have a problem where I get so far then ignore it for a while and start a new game) after picking up a save game with the most progress. I got to Pinwheel while trying to find the last Undead Mage - which I still haven't found yet - and destroyed him. Wasn't even a boss fight really, over in seconds.

Anyway, I'm now going to stick with this save until I have completed it and got to NG+.
    Tonight I hope to have a go at the Four Kings - Done everything in New Londo apart from the boss - then onto the Bed of Chaos and from there I shall head back in the direction of Anor to take on the Duke's archives.
    Could be a busy evening.
  • teamHAM 5 Dec 2012 10:09:47 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

that might work
    It also looks like he only takes partial damage during his buff, or while he is buffing at least.

But yeah, the same spells I used on Artorias I used on the Sanctuary Guardian and it tore him to shreds. So I'm guessing there is some magic resistance there behind the scenes.

Edited by teamHAM at 10:10:58 05-12-2012

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 10:11:04 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @quadfather He's very vulnerable to physical attack, my berserk build ripped him apart with his great club +15 at 40 strength.

Btw. I did bring my strength char to the end of NG and he's now at SL83.
    And I've got another char who is at SL25 at the moment having cleared Anor Londo already. So if you need some coop help at low levels, I can pull you through to Anor Londo and beyond on the fast track, collecting all the stuff.
    Nice one, thanks Dan - pretty sure I'll take you up on that. My new sorc is about 37 I think, perhaps a little more, in Anor. I've also got a 70 odd, done a fair bit of NG and is in the DLC, but that's on the pc.

I've still got a strength character to use too - finally weaning myself off dex by going to sorcerer, so I reckon when I fuck this char up, I might go back to strength again :)

Edited by quadfather at 10:12:37 05-12-2012

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 10:13:01 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

that might work
    It also looks like he only takes partial damage during his buff, or while he is buffing at least.

But yeah, the same spells I used on Artorias I used on the Sanctuary Guardian and it tore him to shreds. So I'm guessing there is some magic resistance there behind the scenes.
    Balder sword it is then :)

• Big-Swiss 5 Dec 2012 12:32:55 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ok, since I fucked up this round a bit by killing guys I shouldn't.
    Am I still going to pull it trough to the end, or stop and start new? If I beat the game, and start NG+, will everything cross over with me?
    Are there things that will stay fucked forever?

mainly embers and boss souls and loot???
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 12:56:47 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When you finish NG, you start in NG+ automatically. You keep everything that you had, except for all the keys, all the embers, and the orange charred ring if you picked it up.

All doors are sealed again, and all NPC's are back where they were

You've killed 1 blacksmith, but there's 2 others...
    Guy on the Belfry doesn't matter much
    Who else did you kill again?

• Big-Swiss 5 Dec 2012 13:38:06 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mushroomhead

sits in front of sens fortress, then sits at the bottom opf the boulders, then sits in a room, the useless guy!

but boy, if you piss him off, he can 1 hit kill the shit out of you
  • Big-Swiss 5 Dec 2012 13:38:31 7,952 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OH NO, so in NG+ I have find all embers again;((
  • teamHAM 5 Dec 2012 14:13:23 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Big-Swiss wrote:
    mushroomhead

mushrooms... onions... they all vegetables after all.

But yes, you gotto find embers again in NG+. Otherwise it be too easy.

Edited by teamHAM at 14:14:04 05-12-2012

• L_Franko Moderator 5 Dec 2012 14:20:54 9,686 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone used a Silver Knight Straight Sword?
    Is it worth trying to farm twinkling titianite to max it out?
    I'm thinking of a new main weapon for NG+ because I'm getting tired of my Uchigatana, even though it has serve me very well and will continue to do so until this game is complete.
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 14:45:49 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Big-Swiss - ah right, siegmeyer. What you're missing out on there is 1 titanite slab

And yes, you need to get all the ember's again. But at least you know where they are now :)

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 14:46:42 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko - Not tried it, mainly because it doesn't seem to scale that well imo

• FourSevenZero 5 Dec 2012 15:00:23 82 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's not too bad and I'm pretty sure it's buffable but I haven't used it for a while though
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 15:16:12 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    By the way, as this sorc doesn't wear much heavy armour, I'm sacrificing armour for Good Looks! Fuck Poise, and Fuck Defense!

Dusk crown + Antiquated chest, tattered manchete and black leather trousers looks pretty badass. Just need the moonlight sword and or the butterfly horn now, for that ultimate bad ass look :)

• L_Franko Moderator 5 Dec 2012 15:20:32 9,686 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was interested by it because the description says something about it having a good move set.
    I guess I can just give it a quick go before using up any twinkling to upgrade.
  • teamHAM 5 Dec 2012 15:44:43 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather

I just put on a bizarre combination of Chester's set and the antiquated. Looks ace, not sure about the functionality of it though :-P

In other news, indeed I have just taken down Seath with a tail cut, so I have got the Moonlight Greatsword. I have to say that at the moment the damage on it is pap compared to my enchanted gargoyle halberd. So I am expecting big things once it is upgraded.

Oh, and the dark magics are ridiculous. Well worth the slog through the Abyss.

Edited by teamHAM at 15:45:14 05-12-2012

• Seto 5 Dec 2012 15:48:27 671 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been trying my hand at a SL1 run-though of the game, and was shocked at how far I've got (just killed Sif). Not felt so good about a game like this for years!

Has anyone had much experience with crossbows? Only have a divine +5 so far but its feeling very powerful.
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2012 16:01:50 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    @quadfather

I just put on a bizarre combination of Chester's set and the antiquated. Looks ace, not sure about the functionality of it though :-P

In other news, indeed I have just taken down Seath with a tail cut, so I have got the Moonlight Greatsword. I have to say that at the moment the damage on it is pap compared to my enchanted gargoyle halberd. So I am expecting big things once it is upgraded.

I'm not bothered about practicality of armour anymore - I just want my character to look funky :)

Nice one for the moonlight sword - I'll be definitely after that soon. Just out of interest - is it pap and you've got 40 int, yes?

If so, hmmm

I *hate* dark magic

Almost as much as I hate the fucking chasm of the abyss :)

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 16:02:33 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Seto wrote:
    I've been trying my hand at a SL1 run-though of the game, and was shocked at how far I've got (just killed Sif). Not felt so good about a game like this for years!

Has anyone had much experience with crossbows? Only have a divine +5 so far but its feeling very powerful.
    I was thinking of trying this - what's your character setup and armour/weapons?

Not had much of a play with crossbows though

• teamHAM 5 Dec 2012 16:06:34 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    @quadfather

I'm not bothered about practicality of armour anymore - I just want my character to look funky :)

Nice one for the moonlight sword - I'll be definitely after that soon. Just out of interest - is it pap and you've got 40 int, yes?

If so, hmmm

I *hate* dark magic

Almost as much as I hate the fucking chasm of the abyss :)
    Yup 40 int. but maybe as I say when i've upgraded the thing it will improve. Also both R2 attacks (one-handed and two-handed) drain durability. It's not just two handed R2 like most of the other weapons with a special.

People have been raving about it though with an INT build so I persevered with the somewhat annoying tail cut! Time will tell if it lives up to the billing.

• quadfather 5 Dec 2012 16:12:51 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it

• Page

of 1190 First / Last