Dark Souls Page 644

• Page

of 1201 First / Last

• teamHAM 29 Nov 2012 16:14:19 2,932 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather

Moonlight Greatsword scales S when upgraded.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 16:21:00 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's like this:

If you push intelligence in NG and use the gargoyle halberd enchanted +5 then you'll do fine. You'll increase your damage with every point in intelligence and you'll make it to NG+ without big problems. It's important to choose a strong high base damage weapon for the later boss battles. Especially 4 Kings needs a heavy hitter because you need to kill them quickly before they spawn all over your face.

Then you get into NG+, you got intelligence to 50 and upped your health and endurance. So what now?

You'll start to upgrade dexterity and for quite some time the damage of a buffed normal +15 weapon will bot be that much better than your enchanted +5.

So what I'm saying is that going intelligence first and dexterity/strength later is not a smart move unless you want to primarily use magic spells for damage.

From a weapon damage point of view it's smarter to go dex or strength first and then later buff it with CMW or something because somewhere along your leveling path before you hit 40 dex/str & 50 int you'll come into a valley where you still keep using your enchanted weapon while putting points into dex/str for a normal +15 weapon which you'll not use much before you hit dex/str 40.

Your idea probably is to (in NG+) use the enchanted weapon in combination with the normal buffed weapon for extra damage but in reality you'll not want to carry two heavy weapons at once in your quick weapon slots which will end up in you using only the enchanted weapon because especially in boss fights it's not always easy to switch your weapon within the item menu.

My experience is to not go intelligence first unless you make a specialized helper for NG who stops leveling below SL 80 or so.
  • quadfather 29 Nov 2012 16:31:02 12,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    @quadfather

Moonlight Greatsword scales S when upgraded.
    Ah yes, well spotted that man!

Bloody seath tail drop isn't it.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mcmothercruncher 29 Nov 2012 17:26:18 7,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm doing the exact opposite of your suggestion Dan!

My faith build followed exactly your path, and it was absolutely the right way to build a character for me. But only if it's a character that relies on their weapon for primary offense. Faith isn't a very offensive attribute, it heals and buffs and whatnot.

Now this is my first magic character, but it seems to me that Int builds are the exception to the rule in Dark Souls. They are very damage focussed so their primary offense should always be wanging magic at enemies, the sword (or whatever) in their hand should be there as backup.

At just level 30, I've buffed Int a lot and it's currently at 25 giving access to some seriously heavy hitting spells. My str/dex is just the bare minimum to equip an Estoc, though to offset that a bit I've taken it up to +10 already. It's hits fast for about a 100 and crits for about 450 which is still decent at this level.

The magic however is one and two shoting everything- even the Knights if I catch them cleanly.

I'm going to keep it at plus 10 and compliment it with a Magic something weapon for mid NG when my Int is even higher, probably swapping to an Enchanted something else as Int climbs even more.The plan is to eventually take the Souls of the Moonlight Butterfly to Anor Londo when I've unlocked it and use the +10 Rapier as the base to make the Moonlight Butterfly Horn. Then, I'll keep from getting bored by grabbing the Moonlight GreatSword from Seath.

Now, in NG++, +++ I'll probably be tempted to push either strength or dex to go down the buffed +15 route, but maybe the higher magics will hold out. I'll have to see how it plays out, any suggestions from more seasoned magic players much appreciated :)

And, as a side note fellas- it's easier to forget that smaller weapons look a bit crappy in the damage stakes but they hit fast. So as far as damage over time goes, they don't fall behind. I've gone from the big hitting stuff like Claymores to ever smaller and faster weapons, can't stand how slow the big swords swing now.
  • quadfather 29 Nov 2012 17:33:54 12,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - yup, agreed on the small weapons. I think I might try the painting sword and see how that goes.

If I can actually find my fucking magic character that is :)

• Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 18:32:43 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher I guess it's because I'm usually a swords man ;)
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Nov 2012 18:39:07 7,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Let me know matey, definitely want to try that one out- does it have a greater than stock 100 crit for backstabbidge?

Am forced to use the small bow at the moment but it fires so quickly it's great too, range aside. Awesome how well balanced it all is across the board- you give something away, you get something back.
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Nov 2012 21:04:57 7,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @mcmothercruncher I guess it's because I'm usually a swords man ;)
    A good swordsman?
    I'll check with my girlfriend.
    *boom/tish* etc ;)

Yes, me too. And I'm actively trying to play differently this time, hence the more ranged focus. So far I've breezed through the Burg, Darkroot, and even done New Londo. The close confines of Blight Yown is prooving TERRIFYING though, can get very little distance on anything...
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 21:33:39 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher
    No not a good swordsman.
    A very bad one...but from what I see the damsels are in favour of them. ;)
  • puddleduck 29 Nov 2012 21:48:23 1,854 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

You seem to now be resembling the cynical chap sat at Firelink. "Why bother, they're all going to lag you to backstab death anyway" :p

@Zuluhero: Remember with the Centipede, if you just focus on chopping off his tail, and then picking up the drop, you get the lava ring... which enables taking him on in the lava for a much more badass looking fight ;)

@McMothercruncher. Are you on consoles? Bare in mind a lot of low level invaders will still be left over BB glitch characters, and not necessarily super skilled players that have reached the far reaches of the game at a low soul level. If on PC, then I have no explanation.

Edit// Appears I was about a page behind haha

Edited by puddleduck at 21:50:54 29-11-2012

Edited by puddleduck at 21:52:11 29-11-2012
  • puddleduck 29 Nov 2012 21:49:29 1,854 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather

Painting Guardian Sword has a wank moveset. Otherwise I'd have used it myself in the past.
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 21:58:31 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @puddleduck Haha, yeah I should do something and fix my upload rate to even the odds. That would be the manly thing to do ;)

We shall see.

But listen to me, you'll want to ring the bell of awakening.
    The bell is at the bottom of a dark place what the undead call their home. Make your path past the cemetery and down the catacombs, this is your FATE!

Those guys at From should hire me to up the suffering - Muahahahaha!

;)

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 21:59:26 29-11-2012
  • fiery_jackass 29 Nov 2012 22:17:37 473 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:Painting Guardian Sword has a wank moveset. Otherwise I'd have used it myself in the past.
    Oh I disagree! I think it's got a cool moveset. It has, however, got almost literally "wank range", without the projectile finisher.
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 22:18:16 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Since playing Dark Souls goes hand in hand with a profound love for unicorns here's the game for the true Dark Souls elite:

• ZuluHero 30 Nov 2012 01:25:06 4,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @puddleduck

yep got it and killed it :)

Also killed the bed of chaos too!

And you know that wolf i was having trouble with a few pages back? He won't trouble me any longer!

SL77 now and enjoying it again :)

One worrying thing that i've noticed though. I've been playing on PC with a single chara on my first play through. My in game save file says i've been playing for 35 hours, while my steam library tells me i've played for 41 hours. That means i've lost 6 hours of my life through dying.

That's pretty brutal when you think about it...

Edited by ZuluHero at 01:25:57 30-11-2012
  • Red_Bool 30 Nov 2012 07:53:18 1,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ZuluHero - Congrats on both! I lost over a week trying to beat Sif (also because I refused to let it go and continue down other paths) - by far the most time I spent on any of the bosses, including the Capra demon...

Looks like you're a much quicker player than I am. I'm SL82 @ 92 hours :D

Currently stuck in the painting, which is actually quite a cool place (no pun intended), but when I get out it's off to the Catacombs!
  • ZuluHero 30 Nov 2012 09:05:48 4,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Red_Bool

Thanks! Is that the painting in Anor Londo? I need to find the Peculiar Doll to get in don't I? This might sound like a noob-y question but where do you get the doll?

And Once you go in, can't you come and go freely?

I stuck my head into the DLC stuff - can almost kill the first boss - but i'm either going to do Cata next or Have a crack at the New Londo fight now i have the ring. I have already drained the water in NL and have already been right to the bosses' front door so can get there quickly.
  • Red_Bool 30 Nov 2012 09:31:59 1,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ZuluHero - it's indeed the painting in Anor Londo. You need the peculiar doll which you can find if you go back to the asylum. How to get there? Here's a hint: you need to find a crows nest, which can be found (eventually) by stepping off an elevator near Firelink - I had to check the wiki because it was doing my head in :)

Once you're in the painting, you can't freely get out again. I'll probably find out how tonight :)

The New Londo boss fight was surprisingly easy, just make sure you get close enough and have a weapon that deals lots of damage quickly ;)
  • ZuluHero 30 Nov 2012 10:10:35 4,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Red_Bool

How did you find the return to the asylum? Is it really tough? I get different reports from different people, but after doing the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith and Sif I feel like i can take on anything! :)
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Nov 2012 10:10:55 9,694 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a shitty glitch in the Catacombs last night where I blocked an attack on the winding stairs that take you down to the second switch and just fell through the level and kept on falling. Took some time for the game to kill me off.

Is this a common one?
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Nov 2012 10:18:44 9,694 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    @Red_Bool

How did you find the return to the asylum? Is it really tough? I get different reports from different people, but after doing the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith and Sif I feel like i can take on anything! :)
    You should have no problem with going back to the Asylum being at the level you are now.
    I like going back there but be careful where you walk. Only advice I'll give :)

Edited by L_Franko at 10:19:16 30-11-2012
  • quadfather 30 Nov 2012 10:21:31 12,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm, I'm having a bit of a dilemma here.

I don't actually know what character to use, or whether to just bloody start again.

Had a play with a ng character last night (non-bb), that's around level 78, which is vit 28, end 27, dex 33 and int 20. Average armour (mixed) for 25% roll, along with a uchi +14. Done some of the dlc (guardian and artorias), and have levelled the dagger tracer to +5 (which will riposte for 1200 ish with the hornet ring) and have already done seath and nito.

Played around for a bit, but it doesn't 'feel right'. you know what I mean?

So I tried a lowish level (37) dex build (non-bb), which has some armour for 25% roll, and an uchi +8, and minimum stats elsewhere, but I couldn't decide whether to up it's dex or int or not.

then there's a 30-something cleric/faith build and a 40 something strength build, but none of these felt right either

I need a fresh challenge I think

What should I do?!

• Red_Bool 30 Nov 2012 10:22:05 1,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ZuluHero - The Asylum wasn't too bad the 2nd time around. Only one surprise that was annoying, the rest of the beings shouldn't pose a problem to you.

And what @L_Franko said :)

Edited by Red_Bool at 10:23:36 30-11-2012
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Nov 2012 10:26:25 9,694 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

I need a fresh challenge I think

What should I do?!
    New character with no levelling up apart from armour and weapons?
  • quadfather 30 Nov 2012 10:31:15 12,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko - Hmm, could do. That'd limit it to mainly elemental weapons though, depending on the class chosen and the main weapon of choice

hm, interesting

• quadfather 30 Nov 2012 10:41:17 12,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dare I say it - I could actually play a different game?

um

• L_Franko Moderator 30 Nov 2012 10:43:37 9,694 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There is that option but I find once I start a new game for a bit this always pops back into my head. I now play two games at the same time because this just doesn't want to let go yet.
  • quadfather 30 Nov 2012 10:52:36 12,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, me too. I've been mulling over returning to demon's souls, but I really should at least have a go at the other stuff I've got, including new pc games as well.

I need a month of work

• mcmothercruncher 30 Nov 2012 13:29:38 7,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    @McMothercruncher. Are you on consoles? Bare in mind a lot of low level invaders will still be left over BB glitch characters, and not necessarily super skilled players that have reached the far reaches of the game at a low soul level. If on PC, then I have no explanation.
    Yup, PS3, I'd forgotten about all the duping. I've no issue at all in PvE- we've all got lives we need to get on with (at least, I used to have before DS). But I must admit it does piss me off for PvP.

Quaddy- you MUST IMMEDIATELY BEGIN a pure magic character :)

Or not, it's just that I'm finding it really refreshing after all of the melee focussed characters I've got...

Start Sorcerer, master key. Get to Firelink, buy both spells from Rickert. Do a suicide run to the back entrance of Blight Town = Crimson Robes and good starter Catalyst. Decide on weapons at the wiki (possibly rapiers with a view to using Velka's later) and put just enough into Str/Dex to use them, NO MORE... I know you ;)
    Level a pointy weapon up to +10 and use that initially, then park it for the Moonlight Butterfly Horn later.
    Level the shit out of Int and farm for shards to get another weapon to +5, do the DarkRoot stuff as soon as you can and resuce Dusk for her armour (spell boosting crown), do a suicide dash for the Magic Ember in Darkroot by the mushrooms. Make that new weapon a magic weapon, then do The Depths and farm for Green Shards from the slimes for a bit. Level that magic weapon to +5 and then straight to Enchanted if you've boosted Int enough and grabbed the Blue Chunk near the Knight in Darkroot Basin.
    Then Sens (rescue Big Hat), then Anor, then make Butterfly Horn at the Giant Blacksmith, then do The Dukes with your mighty horn, then buy masses of spells from Big Hat, then farm the Golems for Blue Titanite Chunk, then level that enchanted weapon to compliment the Horn, then do the Crystal Caves, grab the Blue Titanite slab, then get his tail and rock the Monlight Sword. Then rule the world. Get to it ;)

At least, that's my plan. Fucking notes and everything.
  • quadfather 30 Nov 2012 13:36:58 12,121 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - SORTED! I like it :-)

that'll do me - I just needed a push in the right direction :)

Cheers!

• Page

of 1201 First / Last