Dark Souls Page 643

• Page

of 1201 First / Last

• Buztafen 28 Nov 2012 15:10:29 16,234 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's all about the Black Knight Halberd. If some one gets all up in your face with that sucker its time to run...or pray...or both.
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Nov 2012 15:21:35 7,079 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I think it's bobbins - it does 370 damage at +5, but scales D with strength and dex. I'm guessing it'll have the standard greatword moveset
    I went to +5 because I'm swimming in materials... you're dead right- it's utter wank ;)

Cheers for the humanity tip- I'm not telling you how many hundred hours I've played and not noticed that...

So, I started a pure magic character, possibly with the Moonlight Sword as an end game target.

I'm SL12 in the Burg, have already nipped to the back entrance of Blight Town and got the red Sealer kit and catalyst, nabbed the Firekeepers Soul from New Londo- rockin :)

But, I'm getting invaded a fair bit in the Burg. Not a problem, except, everyone is WAY higher level than me- how is this possible?
    I'm there with my base Estoc buoyed up magnificently by 12 strength and 11 dexterity and hitting for, oooo, a full 80 health. They're coming at me with Pyromancies, a Demon Spear, and masks of the mother/father etc which makes them, what, at least 30+?

Are you just ganked right at the beginning until you round out more stats and get more gear? I was looking forward to some simple, fun sub level 20 PvP.
  • fiery_jackass 28 Nov 2012 15:50:11 476 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    What's the most bad-ass looking weapon then?
    another vote for the notched whip, especially if you set it on fire with resin. The Guardian Tail is an excellent annoyance for people, esp if rotten pine buff is applied
    @mcmothercruncher
    generally Red invaders are same level or lower, Blue invaders higher, often ridiculously so. That's not to say there aren't weird anomalies now and again.

Demon's Spear is easily usable: a level 2 Pyro can wield it one-handed. Pyro's free, if you have enough souls, and Masks can be picked up by anyone. Plus, occasionally, someone will build some ludicrous glass cannon build that allows them to do Dark Bead or Great Axe or something at surprisingly low level but with shocking HP or END or whatever. Low level PvP still works pretty well, although definitely best as "invaded", i think. My SL1 wraith seems to spend a lot of time being ganked or having the bejesus kicked out of her by SL40s
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Nov 2012 16:07:58 7,079 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think that can be right, can it?

Just had someone using the Dark Hand as a shield and another invader using the Dragon Head fire attack on me. I'm still only level 12. I guess it's possible to beat Pinwheel (extremely easy boss, but at the end of a very difficult area) and make it all the way through Blight Town, the Great Hollow and Ash Lake as a sub level 15, but....

Hey, if they can do that- they deserve to beat me. Repeatedly :)

Had a funny one just now. Finished the Taurus Demon and was talking to Solaire when I had another invader. Went up to look at the bridge and he was standing there amongst the spear wielding soldiers and doing the pat-on-the-head gesture at me.

He began to run at me, at which point I moved forward onto the bridge to chuck a measly Soul Arrow at him.... you guessed it, I inadvertently triggered the Dragon. 1024 fire damage and one dead cocky invader :cool: .
  • JonFE 28 Nov 2012 16:30:24 1,448 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I've got no chance doing platinum...
    I refuse to believe that you have no chance to platinum Dark Souls, just refuse it... You (with Elathron and Dangerous_Dan, for that matter) are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to DS and, if you set your mind to it, you could platinum this, not only once but twice both on SP3 and PC...

I still have 240 MS gamescore points left to get - don't make me lose faith...
  • Big-Swiss 28 Nov 2012 16:33:17 8,096 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm still and more and more enjoying myself here

- killed the butterfly
    - killed sif
    - killed the fire wheel
    - killed quelag

rang the second bell!! yepee

but I have to be honest, there was one single situation, that made this game perfekt for me.

I joined the hunter convenant, and got summoned the whole time. but well, a lot of farmers only waiting to kill me with their awesome weapons, some builds looked so cool, scary and overpowered, I almost didn't even try to swing at them cause it seemed pointless. also a lot of guys together, making it impossible to even have a chance.
    But I stuck to it, and found some guy who was on his own, a fair fight, he was higher than me, but he got often cinfused cause I switch my fight style so often, since I am a balanced build. after about 15 minutes I finally won!

the guy was carying 250'000 souls,

I'm not level 77, end of story
  • fiery_jackass 28 Nov 2012 16:38:46 476 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I don't think that can be right, can it?

Just had someone using the Dark Hand as a shield and another invader using the Dragon Head fire attack on me. I'm still only level 12. I guess it's possible to beat Pinwheel (extremely easy boss, but at the end of a very difficult area) and make it all the way through Blight Town, the Great Hollow and Ash Lake as a sub level 15, but....

Hey, if they can do that- they deserve to beat me. Repeatedly :)
    Getting a dark hand is (relatively) easily done by farming Wraiths in New Londo, I took the full pain of the 4 Kings and built an SL1 wraith. Similarly getting into the Dragon Covenant at SL1 is fairly easy. Just keep running! I've got one of those at the moment. Me having these is proof positive that you don't need mad skillz, just dogged bloody-mindedness and a cherished dream of dispensing misery to other players

Edited by fiery_jackass at 17:32:24 28-11-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Nov 2012 17:12:30 7,079 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair enough, I've never bothered with the early game pvp much before. With the master key, it's amazing how far you can explore in the game before even beating the Taurus Demon. I found myself standing on the other side of his fog door earlier before beating him by going all the way back and opening it the "proper" way.

And, yes, come on Quad. Stop being a wuss. Pick a character, stick to them and get that Platinum. Rude not to ;)
  • FanBoysSuck 28 Nov 2012 21:30:35 1,482 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    O S down on new game plus first try thanks to a sunbro! Almost ready for the DLC :D

For the emperor!

• Big-Swiss 28 Nov 2012 21:33:50 8,096 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hard to get summoned:(( need 7 more gold coins;((
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Nov 2012 21:49:19 7,079 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are you sure you're in the right area for your level BS?
  • ZuluHero 29 Nov 2012 02:07:21 4,167 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How the hell do you kill the Centipede Boss in Demon Ruins? Too much lava! And 2 hits and im dead! And i have Solaire (becomeing a frequent party member now) with me as well! Even so - just impossible. And im kitted out in the gold-trim clothes and wearing the Boost Fire Defense ring.

Any tips?

Also I saved onion head's daughter and I told her I saw her father when I freed her. So I went back to fire link, expecting him to be there and it was her (its an easy mistake to make seeing as they both wear the same bloody armour!) And this time i had to tell her "no" i hadn't seen her father (which was the truth) - have i broken that story/quest line now?

Edited by ZuluHero at 02:08:58 29-11-2012
  • Puppaz 29 Nov 2012 03:13:57 324 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't remember much about centipede other than running like hell to the right side where there's a bit of land to tempt the bugger onto then going crazy with some strong weapon till he was dead. Jolly co-op helps keep him occupied allowing you to heal.
    I remember dying a couple if times then randomly winning far too easily on several playthroughs, go figure.

Again if anyone on pc needs help with a certain boss let me know which and what level you are and I can try to come help I'd possible.
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Nov 2012 08:36:29 7,079 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, on entering, run (and jump) your way along the right hand side of the area- there's an item and decent sized bit of land hidden over there.
  • quadfather 29 Nov 2012 10:12:56 12,152 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Centipede - I've only ever done it once, as I then got obsessed with saving solaire for about a year. But the one time I did it, was with solaire and I just generally flailed about left and right like a lunatic and it eventually dropped. Obviously pro-tips there :)

Regarding platinum, I may have spent a lot of hours, but I can't guarantee that they're quality hours - more like quantity. I should have a look at the trophy status on my account. I might even be half way there, who knows! :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• L_Franko Moderator 29 Nov 2012 10:17:05 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Centipede fight looks a lot harder than it is and one that I would advise against summoning help for becuase it adds more health to the boss. Like others have said, once you get to the right hand side of the arena wait for him to get close and then just go nuts. It is fairly easy to see when he is going to attack so run away at that point then start with the beatings again once he is finished.

Edit - Also the fire defense ring wont help you in that fight so use something else in its place.

Edited by L_Franko at 10:19:33 29-11-2012
  • FourSevenZero 29 Nov 2012 11:39:30 82 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I picked up the platinum trophy last night, soooo don't give up and go for it if I can do it anyone can.
  • hypoBla5t 29 Nov 2012 12:07:26 1,417 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Even though I have played the hell out of the 360 version and am getting the PC version for Christmas for all the shiny graphics, is it worth getting the PS3 version for all the Japanese etc community?
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 13:22:17 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You'll get a lot of summon signs with the PS3 Japanese community, also they stay very loyal to the games they like. (The japanese Demon's Souls version is hands down the most active - still today).

But you'll also experience a lot of lag because although they have the potential to have the best internet connections over there, few make use of it in my experience.
  • teamHAM 29 Nov 2012 15:11:31 2,947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just running through as a sorcerer. I'm going 16 STR, 14 DEX, rest into INT. I haven't been able to get a BSS yet but have picked up a Gargoyle Halberd. Should I be getting it turned to Fire, Lightning or go down the Magic/Enchanted route? Stats say the magic/enchanted route is less damage than fire/lightning but I'm assuming that due to resistances in practice the magic will do more damage? PvE weapon this would be.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• quadfather 29 Nov 2012 15:19:40 12,152 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Interesting. I'm thinking of getting a sorceror going too. I'm just looking at the weapons that would scale well with int

• Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 15:28:59 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @teamHAM Do you want to play through the game with that char only one time or multiple times? What kind of soul level are you targeting?

The easy route would be to upgrade your weapon to lightning, stick with 14 dex and 16 strength and put the rest into vitality and endurance.

Choose your weapon.
    Find out about the scaling value in a wiki. (the gargoyle halberd "only" scales B with intelligence)

At intelligence 50 the enchanted weapon will usually beat the fire and lightning weapons hands down (latest patch), at least if it scales well.

An enchanted claymore will eventually scale A with intelligence or an uchi too i think but check that out before wasting any upgrade materials.

Safest and easiest way is to go lightning.

Highest damage value requires you to upgrade a weapon normal to +15 and apply a magic buff like sunlight blade miracle or crystal weapon magic.

So an uchi +15 with crystal magic buff does over 800 damage at dex 40 and intelligence 50 with the right catalyst.
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Nov 2012 15:36:48 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I started a Faith build the other nights while having a few beers and I'm now wondering where to take it. I have some research to do as I know nothing about Faith in this game as I've never touched it before. Should be a challenge at least.
  • teamHAM 29 Nov 2012 15:36:51 2,947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

Yeah I do plan to take her into NG+ and beyond.

I know about +15 and buffs, and that's what I usually do, I'm just doing something different with this sorcerer. And I was also under the impression that at only 14 DEX the +15 with CMW wouldn't be as viable as magic/enchanted? Or am I mistaken?

Also, while I do look at scaling I was also under the impression that for things like enchanted weps it's not the be all and end all? For example the Painting Guardian Sword is an S when upgraded, but the base damage seems below par and thus doesn't make it a good choice? Looking at this it seems to suggest that at the desired stats the Gargoyle Halberd is one of the better choices.

Edit: I know PGS requires 20 dex but I did look it up and it didn't look particularly attractive.

Edited by teamHAM at 15:44:16 29-11-2012

• teamHAM 29 Nov 2012 15:47:48 2,947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @L_Franko

What I tend to do when I go faith is go dex aswell. Get something like Great Scythe. Join Warrior of Sunlight for Lightning Spear and Great Lightning Spear. Get Sunlight Blade to buff the Scythe. Chuck a few of the extra useful miracles in there (Emit Force, Wrath of Gods, Great Magic Barrier, and you're golden.

• Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 15:50:38 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @teamHAM
    Depends, the buff adds a certain amount of magic damage to the weapon. So it adds like 400 damage to a dagger as well as 400 damage to a claymore.

The thing is, pure magic chars are good for PvE or assisting others in PvE because the magic damage is very good against bosses. Black magic is casting fast enough to be very effective/cheap in PvP even at low dex.

Weapon wise I'd say a claymore +15 (16 str n 14 dex) with crystal magic buff (int 50) is better than an enchanted claymore +5. But the number of buffs is limited, so an enchanted weapon is a good weapon, usually better than a lightning weapon or fire weapon - if the int scaling is good.
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Nov 2012 15:58:08 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @teamHAM Look at the enchanted path, not the magic path. It does more damage at int 50.

Good weapons damage wise is the claymore, the bastard sword, the halberd and the gargoyle halberd.

Try all those weapons, how you like the move set.
    Claymore has a much longer reach than the bastard sword for example.
    The halberd has a different moveset from the gargoyle halberd.
    How much stamina is used with one swing, how fast is the weapons what's the range, how much does it stun my enemies.

Go with what moveset you prefer. Damage is very good on all those.
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Nov 2012 16:02:56 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @teamHAM

Interesting, thanks for the info. I think I will try your guide there as it does sound like a fun build.
  • teamHAM 29 Nov 2012 16:06:08 2,947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

So if I take the Gargoyle Halberd to enchanted, make Claymore +15 for the magic buff, and have something extra a little more mobile like Estoc or something and maybe make it lightning would you say that was a good toolset? And especially the Claymore and Halberd will last into NG+ and still be viable?

• quadfather 29 Nov 2012 16:12:42 12,152 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Enchanted painting guardian sword +5 scales E/D/S for Str, Dex and Int respectively.

And unless I'm mistaken, I can't think of any others that scale S with Int.

But there must be, surely?

• Page

of 1201 First / Last