Dark Souls Page 639

• Page

of 1195 First / Last

• Elathron 25 Nov 2012 11:29:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Red_Bool - Yeah, that bit sucks... You can snipe Lautrec and his mates from the place you spawn, Hawk ring + BBoP (and your chosen arrows) and they'll not even aggro once! Although, that's kinda cheesy and you may want to go for the "honourable" route, just be aware that Lautrec uses dual Shotels, and he's bloody good with them too.

There is a bonfire that's similarly close to the New Londo ruins - in the Valley of the Drakes across the bridge and up a lift (in Darkroot Basin technically), the only downside is fighting the Drakes (although, decent EXP and Dragon Scales kinda mitigate that).

Edited by Elathron at 11:31:26 25-11-2012

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• mcmothercruncher 25 Nov 2012 11:34:59 6,482 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :)

I just wish the gaps between invasions weren't so long.

Never thought I'd say that, hehe.
  • Red_Bool 25 Nov 2012 11:44:07 1,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Elathron - I already had one go at Lautrec (the honourable way :)). Sniping from a distance did draw the NPCs out towards me (?) - looks doable (I failed this time because I didn't know that Estus flasks don't work when invading Lautrec

I considered that other Bonfire in Darkroot Basin, but I'll go with Firelink for now Although that of course might change since I can't remember the fastest route to the fog wall :)
  • Elathron 25 Nov 2012 11:44:35 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nopes... It was only (I say "only" in the vaguest sense of the word), ooooo, 150 pages ago ish that you were lamenting them :p

Being invaded and slaying your erstwhile killer is one of the greatest rushes I've had this generation of gaming; only matched by the feeling of being the last man-standing (against an entire enemy team) in CoD S&D (then consequently dispatching them all in a brutal yet nerve-wracking manner). Where you are is kinda good positioning too, if the enemy is hacking you've got a good chance of winning by default...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Elathron 25 Nov 2012 11:46:40 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Red_Bool - Strange, I've never had them rush me when I snipe them, perhaps the cheese route was patched out? I'll have to load up tonight to find out now...

• FanBoysSuck 25 Nov 2012 11:59:04 1,451 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    @Elathron using a 1drake sword so 220 DMG? Don't know what that is in real numbers, but when I hit it has a noticeable effect on his HB. My STR is 20.
    I'm guessing you're a dex build? I had issues finding a decent shield post eagle shield patch ( I've probably moaned way too much about it now). Get to anno Londo, get a silver knight shield and plus 5 it (giant blacksmith sells the relevant titanite). It's light and has great stability for a party shield.

Weapon wise get the fury sword on the go, it destroys pretty much everything in standard NG. Hell it's still pretty good on NG plus when not fighting fire resistant enemies.

For the emperor!

• SomaticSense 25 Nov 2012 12:14:18 7,965 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dex weapon of choice for me is and always will be my beloved Uchi +15. You can use buffs unlike the Fury Sword, which elevates its dps far far above any other non two-handed weapon when over 30 dex, even more than the FS with a full stock of humanity.

I have two dex builds, one of them dex/faith and one dex/int. Sunlight Blade takes it to 712 with 40 dex and 32 faith, and Crystal Magic Weapon buffs it to between 650 and 700 when over 30 dex and int. You also have access to all the resins if you run out of castings before you can get to the next bonfire, which rarely happens if you use the Lingering Dragon Ring.

Plus it has the super useful R2/RT thrust attack and crazy range on regular R1/RB attacks for a quick sword.

Kicks the FS's arse imo.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:17:17 25-11-2012
  • Architect_z 25 Nov 2012 13:00:12 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    For Sif use the gravestone in the middle of the arena, it means Sif has less space to jump around, or stick to the sides of the level and I find he sometimes just jumps right next to you and you can hack away from under him.

I'm gonna start invading soon, so you might have to fight me. Muhahahaha!
  • ZuluHero 25 Nov 2012 14:01:33 4,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    @Elathron using a 1drake sword so 220 DMG? Don't know what that is in real numbers, but when I hit it has a noticeable effect on his HB. My STR is 20.
    I'm guessing you're a dex build? I had issues finding a decent shield post eagle shield patch ( I've probably moaned way too much about it now). Get to anno Londo, get a silver knight shield and plus 5 it (giant blacksmith sells the relevant titanite). It's light and has great stability for a party shield.

Weapon wise get the fury sword on the go, it destroys pretty much everything in standard NG. Hell it's still pretty good on NG plus when not fighting fire resistant enemies.
    Oh... I may or may not have used a certain soul required to make the fury sword... What's the best alternative, something that doesn't require any souls I have acquired upto the point I am? :)
  • ZuluHero 25 Nov 2012 14:03:04 4,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Architect_z I'm pretty nimble. No one has caught me yet and I always go and hide :)
  • Architect_z 25 Nov 2012 14:06:45 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - You mentioned alive bosses? (like Sif) which other bosses take bonus damage?
  • Architect_z 25 Nov 2012 14:08:00 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ZuluHero - You can hide, but I will search until I've found my target, and then probably get chaos fireballed and killed. I'm not great at PvP
  • teamHAM 25 Nov 2012 14:26:15 2,762 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    @Elathron - You mentioned alive bosses? (like Sif) which other bosses take bonus damage?
    IIRC The fat demons take bleed damage aswell. So Asylum Demon, Stray Demon, Demon Firesage...

Edited by teamHAM at 14:26:57 25-11-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• FanBoysSuck 25 Nov 2012 15:10:27 1,451 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:

Oh... I may or may not have used a certain soul required to make the fury sword... What's the best alternative, something that doesn't require any souls I have acquired upto the point I am? :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" />
    uchi would be the the next best thing and it has the bonus of being buffable. I'm getting on up to plus 15 at the moment as I've hit the scaling cap for dex and in going to start using it with great magic weapon. The sword is in blight town. On top of a shack if I remember rightly.

For the emperor!

• Architect_z 25 Nov 2012 15:22:05 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Depends on the build, I personally love the washing pole, but mines not buffable based on the fact its an occult+5 version. Uchi is a great all round weapon, decent range, moveset, damage, bleed bonus, buffable, good scaling. I'd say the Uchigatana is one of the best all round weapons in the game.

The Uchigatana can be obtained by killing the undead merchant in the undead burg, or alternativley, bought from Shiva of the East (i think)

The Katana called Iiato? Is the sword you find in Blightown
  • ZuluHero 25 Nov 2012 17:17:50 4,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quest accepted - thanks guys :)
  • mcmothercruncher 25 Nov 2012 17:27:57 6,482 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Balder Sword!
    Terrible drop rate, AMAZING though.
    Best moveset in the game probably. Farm the Balder Knights in the church with as high an item drop rate as you can manage.

Of the asian swords, while the washing pole has fab range, I find the amount of stamina it eats a bit much and usually prefer the Iaito or Uchi. Depends on how you like to play :)
  • Architect_z 25 Nov 2012 17:33:22 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aye, I fell in love with the balder side sword. Its so light and barely uses any stamina. Some of the damage you can occur on the thrusts is mental.
    My current build has 2 of them, got an occult+5 baldur sword, and a +15 normal baldur.
    Benefits of asain swords is the bleed damage it can do.
    The washing poles range is insane though, i'm sure some spears have less range.

I'm also really happy that there was a decent straight sword.

Edited by Architect_z at 17:39:21 25-11-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 25 Nov 2012 18:09:28 6,482 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Same matey, made a divine and occult Balder before realising I needed a +15, so ground for that too.
    It's such a shame you leave your faith/int/fire/lightning weapons behind and always end up buffing regular maxed weapons for me. That part feels a bit broken to me.

I went to the shameful dark side last week and actually tried rapiers out. Hope you'll all still talk to me. Ricard's Rapier is average for regular pve and the hitbox is miniscule. Truly sick burst R2 damage with a good buff though. For an alt weapon, it's a boss shredder :)
  • puddleduck 25 Nov 2012 20:23:39 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only recently started using Velka's Rapier as a secondary weapon on my favourite dex/int char... and I love it.

I had always carried a chaos rapier +5 around, but with the nerf figured I'd check out Velka's. Definitely the classiest of the rapiers in terms of moveset. The R2 attack isn't particularly useful, but it looks cool :p

I rotate a BSS and Iaito depending on the boss and my mood.
  • puddleduck 25 Nov 2012 20:24:31 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

Use the dried finger... It removes the cool down time :)
  • Elathron 25 Nov 2012 21:21:44 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Architect_z - Anything that's not dead looking I suppose? So that means:

Dragons; Iron Golem; Sif; O&S; Daemons - Taurus, Generic (but different coloured) Fat Daemons, Capras; Sanctuary Guardian; Artorias; Hydras (but you never get enough shots in at once to force bleed); Priscilla.

I don't think I've missed any but feel free to suggest more :p The above bosses will bleed nicely even if you do f*@* all damage to them with your normal swings.

• ZuluHero 25 Nov 2012 22:24:25 4,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I am now the proud owner of a Uchigatana+5 \o/

What direction do i need to take it? I can turn it into a divine weapon or a raw weapon or just keep pumping up the standard version (+6 and beyond)?

I'll leave Sif for now, can anyone give me a hint to where I can find the new PTD content? :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 23:07:13 25-11-2012
  • teamHAM 25 Nov 2012 23:29:33 2,762 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• puddleduck 25 Nov 2012 23:43:07 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wish I'd known about the extra Sif stuff in the new content! Ah well, something for NG+ :)
  • puddleduck 25 Nov 2012 23:46:52 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ZuluHero

Depends on how you're going to level your char. I'd say that you should just keep pushing it to the normal upgrade path which ends at +15. Although obviously if you were making a char that won't use Dex, then taking it to +15 is pretty pointless. If you were making a faith char, then a divine/occult weapon would be best. A magic char, then an enchanted one. A vitality/endurance one, then elemental would be best.

Personally I always make a dex chars with a supplementary skill like Magic or Faith, so I'd go to +15 and then buff it with whatever my magic/faith buffs are.

I guess one hint is ok... you'll find it in Darkroot where you first find a certain spell seller.... but to access it you'll need to have reached Duke's Archives ;)
  • puddleduck 26 Nov 2012 00:08:02 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just because it's been a while since it was posted, and there's probably some new players who might not have had the joy :)

• ZuluHero 26 Nov 2012 00:21:36 4,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's awesome! sorry Yatta!

Oh and Uchi +10 now :)

Not sure where i'm going, not really had a plan for my build, just increasing stats for certain weapons while pumping into endurance and vitality while trying to claw my way through the game and basically just trying to stay alive...

Im SL59 with:

V28, A11, E25, S20, D20, R13, I12, F11

And in regards to the hint, i've been a little bit into Dukes Archives, after i got the lordvessel, but not seen that spell seller in darkroot?

Not really explored much of DR mind, just the Butterfly boss and a lot of soul farming in that forest past the crest door. BTW im a 'friend of the forest' now (tree hugger :p), well a forest hunter, so can pass through without being attacked if that helps?

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:28:24 26-11-2012
  • puddleduck 26 Nov 2012 00:31:07 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ZuluHero

You'll be looking for something with a few extra heads in Darkroot... then beyond it is a crystal golem you'll need to have a word with before you meet the spell seller. By word, I of course mean introduce your Uchi to ;) You need to have met and freed her before the enemy in DA appears with the drop that then allows you to return to the spot you find her... aaaand go! :D

I'd say with str at 20, if you like the uchi, just ignore str from now on and put them into Dex :)
  • ZuluHero 26 Nov 2012 09:21:30 4,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh.. you mean that thing in that place that's another word for "sink".

I can be really cryptic sometimes! :p
  • Page

of 1195 First / Last