Dark Souls Page 632

• Page

of 1199 First / Last

• FanBoysSuck 12 Nov 2012 20:45:43 1,474 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I need some help guys. I've hit my first stumbling block on NG plus, the Capra demon. He's taking about 4/5 of my health in a swing, making the run to the stairs thing very tough. Is there a way around him or maybe somewhere good to level up? I'm level 87 with 32 stam/vit and 40 dex rocking the fury sword plus 5 and I'm still getting my ass handed to me :(

For the emperor!

• mcmothercruncher 12 Nov 2012 21:04:28 6,800 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd defo level up a bit- you could get to Darkroot Garden and do the lemming techinque if you wanted a large number of souls quickly.

What might make the difference though is just levelling your shield up. It's amazing the difference a well pumped up shield makes. If you've got one you like, take it up to where it's at least at the 70 odd mark. I bet you can enter and defend against the first swing then before running up the stairs and doing the drop technique.
  • FanBoysSuck 12 Nov 2012 21:21:16 1,474 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I'd defo level up a bit- you could get to Darkroot Garden and do the lemming techinque if you wanted a large number of souls quickly.

What might make the difference though is just levelling your shield up. It's amazing the difference a well pumped up shield makes. If you've got one you like, take it up to where it's at least at the 70 odd mark. I bet you can enter and defend against the first swing then before running up the stairs and doing the drop technique.
    Cheers! I think I'll do a bit of levelling at darkroot.

I tried the block and run but being hit by both dogs plus Capra stuns me. I'm rocking the black knight shield plus 2, not too bad but I'll be swapping it for a silver one in annor londo. Everything would be find if my eagle shield plus 14 hadn't been nurfed!

For the emperor!

• mcmothercruncher 12 Nov 2012 21:54:15 6,800 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good stuff :)
    Try the eagle shield though - you just need to survive the initial rush without being stunlocked. For that the 100% bit isn't important, it's all about the stability.
    Anything that'll stop that stamina bar being chewed through is what you want, you can then bolt up the stairs and heal the little bit of health you lost (it's surprisingly little with a 95% shield).
    Also, grass for a stamina recovery boost during the fight, also the Cloranthy ring for the same, also Pine Resin for a nice weapon buff. You'll chew the little fucker up in no time ;)
  • Red_Bool 12 Nov 2012 22:17:11 1,173 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is anybody else here also paranoid about the chests in this game? Ever since my first encounter with a mimic my standard procedure with chests is to first put an arrow in it from a safe distance :)
  • mcmothercruncher 12 Nov 2012 23:39:51 6,800 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Defo :)

I always forget to check :cry:

You know the chains are different on the Mimmic ones? The chain curls back on the genuine chest, but wanders off to the side on the fake ones, plus, if you chuck a Lloyd's Talisman right on them they open up without waking the mimmic up.
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2012 08:40:51 11,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @quadfather That thing with the Titanite Demon's never happened to me, but the one in LI is a complete bastard. Nice one though :D

That event with laurentius has happened a few times, he's always banging on about "let me know if you find anything new". SO, if you buy owt from Queelana he spots it straight away and goes off to find her if you answer "yes" but it doesn't end well and he goes hollow and attacks you in BT. Poor fucker

Patches sets up as a merchant after you beat Nito, but if you don't go back to the catacombs (and why would you) you're unlikely to pass him. I normally buy a Mask of the Child off him, suck him dry of humanity (Dark Hand) and then kill the cunt. Which was nice.
    Lol at patches. I nearly did the same.

I arrowed the tit demon in the end. Took about a year but fed up with being squished.

And for some reason the gaping dragon took 4 attempts

Would be nice if all my characters were at the same point-can't work out fuck all at the moment. Half of them are bb chars so you've got no clue, and the rest are scattered all over the shop. I might just get every one of them into the dlc to make it easier

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Big-Swiss 13 Nov 2012 14:26:10 8,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    Well just past the rats, there is a ladder.
    Try and lure out the rats, if you have an axe of any kind, try 2 handing the weapon, and it should (hopefully) take out a rat in one hit.
    Then (if I remember correctly) there will be a spiral staircase on your left, and forward will lead to a new area with a very aggressive pig.
    Don't bother with the spiral staircase, the guy up there is very tough for new starters.
    Follow the route, and bring home the bacon.
    Near the pig there is a staircase down, follow it through and it'll take you where you need to go.
    can't wait, as soon as I get a game evening, I will go this route.
    But I do understand correctly, I kille the Pig! or do I just go out of its way? I hear a lot, that people seem to just go out of bosses way.....
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2012 15:45:00 11,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You don't have to kill the boar, but you'll get some souls for doing so and sometimes it drops an item. It's not a boss in the main sense, but it's harder than normal monsters, and won't respawn once it's down.

Some main bosses are optional but not that many :)

• teamHAM 13 Nov 2012 23:14:14 2,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I've just started back with this after a break since before PtD. Since the new content are there any new golden rules with respect to builds and/or gear? Ie If I want the best dex/int/faith build to I still just pump dex/int/faith to 40 and just sprinkle the other stats anywhere? And is there any new gear choices from the new content that make clear upgrades from what is available in the vanilla game?

Also, I have a faith build, with paladin armour, SLB and the lightning throwy thing, and two claymores (1x +15 normal (for SLB) and 1x Occult +5). Is that all still the best way to go (for a faith build)?

Edited by teamHAM at 23:15:12 13-11-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Big-Swiss 14 Nov 2012 08:02:46 8,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    funny, it was a typical situation. thanks guys, I moved on now, and it is fun again.

Before I asked for help here, I acctually did manage to run away from the dragon and kill the rats once, they did poisen me, but I managed to taunt death with lots of health bottles. Then I moved up the ladder and went directly up the spiral staircase and the next MF unbeatable guy killed me in about one stroke. Since it took me before that a long time, and then I was all the way back to the respawn area I just gave up for the moment.

I had to shake my head and laugh yesterda when I realised the darn new respawn area was about 10 meters away. Since I am a newbie, my guy isn't balanced out right, I think I put too much weight on some skills and not enough on others, I will have to correct that while I move on trough the game.
  • bantamenace 14 Nov 2012 17:14:52 73 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Help. Finding Midnight Butterfly tough, especially the ball lightning it sends out when his/her health meter is down to about a third? Tried summoning witch Beatrice at the bottom the stairs, but got bloody invaded and killed whilst in human form. No humanity left now. Gutted! Any help much appreciated
  • robthehermit 14 Nov 2012 17:24:21 4,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't bother with ranged attacks, just wait till it gets close enough to smack. Keep moving and rolling.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Deleted user 14 November 2012 17:27:11
    @bantamenace Last second rolls can avoid most of the Midnight Butterflies attacks. When it lands two hand a weapon and have at it. Soul Ray works well, as does pyro magic when it lands.

I believe there may be a shield that reduces magic damage somewhere in the forest which is handy if you have to block but its been a while so I'm not too sure.
  • bantamenace 14 Nov 2012 17:37:54 73 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks Rob and Orbit, much appreciated. I was having trouble avoiding the blue ball lightning attack by rolling last night
  • Lotos8ter 14 Nov 2012 18:08:13 2,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck - I'm prob too late with the reply but some armour with POISE is a good investment. Poise makes it more difficult for enemies to stagger or stun you and stops them interrupting your attacks. Light armours tend to have no poise, which will fuck you over several times on NG+.
    The bastard thing with Capra is that the dogs can put you in stun and before you have a chance to attack or ,ove, he comes in with a heavy attack and you're dead. So equip an armour set with some poise and a decent shield with good stability and have another crack. You'll be suprised at the difference and its good practice for other big hitters you'll meet in NG+
    And, sorry for the news, but I found the QFS faded in NG+ - have a think about a katana or similar you could take upto +15, then you can always enchant or use a resin on it for an ewtra bite...

Edited by Lotos8ter at 18:13:46 14-11-2012

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 14 Nov 2012 18:38:54 11,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aye, I'm a big fan of the furysword, but it easily gets outmatched by most standard +15 swords, especially if they're resistant to fire or you're in ng+. For example, those fire breathing Russian doll type mobs with no arms or legs in demons ruins-it'll take 4 or 5 hits with furysword, whereas a baldersword will do it in 2

• mcmothercruncher 14 Nov 2012 20:51:14 6,800 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK folks, so we all heart Dark Souls.

What do you hate though? :cool:

For me, it's only a small thing but every time I see it I cringe- the feet. I absolutely hate when your character runs on anything but a level surface- it looks like your bloody ankles are broken as it seems they decided it'd be a good idea to match the souls of your feet to any and all angled surfaces. It just looks plain WRONG!
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2012 08:37:43 11,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was playing it last night, struggling to.settle on a character, so I thought I'd have a change and play demons souls.

Wow!

It's so *fast* , much faster than I remember! And rolling is super quick too. And the backstab is harder to pull off, but the parry? Blimey, It's so much easier! Did every single melee skeleton in 4-1 with a parry!

Tremendous fun!

• quadfather 15 Nov 2012 09:26:34 11,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:

For me, it's only a small thing but every time I see it I cringe- the feet. I absolutely hate when your character runs on anything but a level surface- it looks like your bloody ankles are broken as it seems they decided it'd be a good idea to match the souls of your feet to any and all angled surfaces. It just looks plain WRONG!
    I don't like fighting things I can't poison

Aesthetically, I wish you could change the looks of the faces a bit more. I always end up with characters that look like Mr Magoo

And it's been mentioned before, but I'm not that keen on some of the hidden stuff that you can fuck up. Eg, chaos shortcut. And then added to that shortcut, *not* going into lost izalith and taking the shortcut to save solaire. Let's face it, that's just random and god knows how you'd come across that

Things that disappear forever unless you pick them up there and then. Demon's souls is guilty of this too

Edited by quadfather at 09:27:05 15-11-2012

• Big-Swiss 15 Nov 2012 10:08:25 8,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finally found the first blacksmith!
    cool, finally I can upgrade weapons and stuff.

only problem:
    I have no clue what to do, should I upgrade weapons I allready have, should I wait for even better weapons to upgrade, same with shield, same with armor.

I have ben running around the forest now, good fun, but also a bit tricky to know where to go. And too many of these big ass dark knights around.

also that thingy by the blacksmith, that shoots these lightning balls, no chance of killing the darn thing!! probably have to kill that thing so the path by mushroom head opens..........
  • Dangerous_Dan 15 Nov 2012 10:21:27 2,380 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Big-Swiss Find a good shield with a high stability value so that blocking attacks does not deplete all your stamina or worse break your guard.

You can upgrade all the shields to increase their stability value - a wise investment.

Secondly you should upgrade your weapon. Find a weapon which you are comfortable with, the higher the base damage of the weapon the better but still you have to get to terms with its moveset. A good weapon would be the claymore or the halberd - both can be found in the Undead Parish.

Don't worry about what to upgrade. Now you can upgrade only up to +5 and for that you only need to buy titanite shards from the blacksmith or find them as an item drop. If you like your armour then also upgrade it with titanite shards. Spending your souls on leveling up is not as important as leveling your gear.
  • Big-Swiss 15 Nov 2012 10:36:53 8,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thanks!

yes, I am using the claymore! I really like it. long peer thing with a axt at the end.

I have upgraded a bit, but wasn't sure if I should really spend the shards allready all on my stuff.

also, I like ym armor, but it is quite heavy, I found some new armor but haven't checked it out yet, cause I quit the session rigth after.

shields: I use the balder shield if I reckon correctly or something simular. I have gotten some violet couloured shiled recently, but the shileds seem to be nothing special up to know. I really need something that doesen't trow me off balance so quickly!
  • Big-Swiss 15 Nov 2012 10:37:52 8,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I also have a big titanite shard, and I also have some white glowint shard, but for now I only used the small ones......
  • FanBoysSuck 15 Nov 2012 11:11:08 1,474 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @bantamenace On my first run I just summoned the girl and kept dodging. She'll take it out for you fairly quickly. Crest shield is your friend here, it has the best magic resistance for a parry shield.

For the emperor!

• FanBoysSuck 15 Nov 2012 11:19:12 1,474 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @FanBoysSuck - I'm prob too late with the reply but some armour with POISE is a good investment. Poise makes it more difficult for enemies to stagger or stun you and stops them interrupting your attacks. Light armours tend to have no poise, which will fuck you over several times on NG+.
    The bastard thing with Capra is that the dogs can put you in stun and before you have a chance to attack or ,ove, he comes in with a heavy attack and you're dead. So equip an armour set with some poise and a decent shield with good stability and have another crack. You'll be suprised at the difference and its good practice for other big hitters you'll meet in NG+
    And, sorry for the news, but I found the QFS faded in NG+ - have a think about a katana or similar you could take upto +15, then you can always enchant or use a resin on it for an ewtra bite...
    Not at all mate, I haven't had chance to play for a few days and wont until the weekend now. Armour poise is about as good as it will get for the moment, harvel armour with a the black iron chest piece at +5. I'm going to try it again with the eagle shield +14, that should do it. I've also been watching a video series on youtube with a guy doing a NG+ run with the same equipment (before the eagle shield nurf mind) and I should be able to kick the fucker after a few tries. I just hate having to go through the lower burg each time >_<

I can certainly see the FS getting sidelined, most basic enemies are taking 2 hits to go down at this point with 40 dex. I've got a side sword at +5 and will get it up to 15 asap. I'm not sure about other curved swords, I will check my inventory when I'm next on. Now I've just got to remember where the bloody embers are ;)

For the emperor!

• FanBoysSuck 15 Nov 2012 11:32:52 1,474 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    mcmothercruncher wrote:

I don't like fighting things I can't poison

Aesthetically, I wish you could change the looks of the faces a bit more. I always end up with characters that look like Mr Magoo

And it's been mentioned before, but I'm not that keen on some of the hidden stuff that you can fuck up. Eg, chaos shortcut. And then added to that shortcut, *not* going into lost izalith and taking the shortcut to save solaire. Let's face it, that's just random and god knows how you'd come across that

Things that disappear forever unless you pick them up there and then. Demon's souls is guilty of this too
    Agreed with Quad's points although it's a hell of a lot better than Demon's Souls in the accidentally messing things up steaks.

The online portion has suffered without dedicated servers. Getting people to join was a pain when it first came out, now it's pretty much impossible. Seriously, 20 hours into NG+ and not a single summon sign :( On the plus side no invaders either lol.

My biggest gripe is the patch balancing. It's way too focused on PvP. Some things needed to be fixed (like the bloody fog ring not letting you lock on and being abused by invaders) but it's got to the point where the changes have been detrimental to the single player experience. Nurfing elemental damage has ruined a lot of equipment IMO, making situations where you were designed to used them harder than they should be and what they did to my beloved eagle shield was unacceptable!

For the emperor!

• Lotos8ter 15 Nov 2012 13:29:27 2,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good points, it might be getting to the stage where its one patch too many. The elemental damage from Fire claymore +10 has got me through 4 Kings and other tough battles in NG+, i wouldn't like to try that now.

My pet hate is weapons damaging through walls and pillars (Silver Knight Spears and that Ormstein fella). Game's hard enough without that. And you should be able to hand several items over to covenant people without doing it individually. I have to grit my teeth before handing over 30 humanity, it feels like it takes hours....

Fiat Lux

• mcmothercruncher 15 Nov 2012 14:16:44 6,800 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The wall thing kills me too- usually they can get you but you can (no longer) get them back too.

I'm about to go into NG+++ and get Sif's soul for the Platinum, then I'm absolutely going back to Demon's Souls. I just need one more run through to get the Platinum for that too. Really looking forward to comparing the two. I'm glad parrying is easier Quaddy, I never bothered to play Demon's Souls "properly" going for lots of parries, backstabs, upgrading weapons and armour properly. Going to put that right :)
  • FanBoysSuck 15 Nov 2012 14:37:54 1,474 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The collision detection issues were there in Demon Souls as well, I lost count of the amount of times Flamelurker killed me through a solid pillar. Hopefully the engine will be a bit more robust for the next game.

For the emperor!

• Page

of 1199 First / Last