Dark Souls Page 629

• Page

of 1196 First / Last

• quadfather 8 Nov 2012 18:33:00 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I agree, really like the Flamberge, but the R2 attack is crap.
    I have to have a workable straight thrust on anything equipped.

I've always used heavy weapons like the Claymores, and took the Flamberge up to +15... not sure why I spunked a Titanite Slab on that, moment of madness. A +14 Washing Pole too.
    I've really enjoyed shifting to lighter weapons though. It's a bit of a shock initially when you stab and slash and thinking "Ooo, that's a bit weak compared to what I'm used to", but, overall I find them superior.
    It's amazing how much more stamina you have because they eat up less, you attack faster and can often interrupt enemies before they've even got the first hit on you, and you suddenly have more armour and shield options due to the extra weigt you've freed up

Absolutely love the Dark Silver Tracer dagger from the DLC- never bothered with daggers before but 1000hp backstabs and 1400 parries are hard to argue against!
    Dex is fun isn't it :) I *need* that tracer dagger!

Actually, shit, I've done artorias so I can get it now, yay

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mcmothercruncher 8 Nov 2012 22:18:53 6,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is fun, plus, love how it feeds into the bows too.
    Don't forget to upgrade that sucka up to +5 with twinky stuff :)

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 22:20:01 08-11-2012
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 8 Nov 2012 22:28:02 406 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

How are you getting so much damage from the Silver Tracer? I'm a pure dex character, 50 dex, 5 Tracer with hornet ring and I never get that much from backstabs.

For dex characters though, seems like Pharis Bow scaling got buffed, doing huge damage with it.

Edited by Garlvinlandblueblood at 22:29:13 08-11-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Nov 2012 22:41:55 6,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Adding the Hornet's Ring into the equation... and obviously the exact amount varies depending on whether the enemy is armoured or not.
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2012 08:35:19 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right.

Dark magic mages can fuck off
    Dark magic standard mobs can fuck off as well
    Humanity sprites can also fuck off
    Manus can Certainly fuck off
    Chasm of the abyss can get fucked

There, I think that's everything :)

Even with crest shield, I'm getting battered with dark magic.

And I saw alvina appearing but bloody lost sight of her. Have I fucked that too?

And where's Hawkeye gough?

Died a ton too and now out of arrows

Bah

• Lotos8ter 9 Nov 2012 09:19:27 2,353 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather :D nice one.

Gough is behind the locked door in the bit above where you fought Artorias. the key is in that massive house where you fought loads of those mop heads. You'll see a room with a lit fireplace off to the side. You have to do a running jump over into there - thats where the key is.

I doubt you've fucked it (Alvina), she'll probably reappear when you go back down there. Edit - if she doesn't just get out a cheap weapon and smack all the walls down there and deeper down that tunnel until you reveal something.

Its a nasty area with a carefully engineered ambush if you try to get to the boss without clearing one of those fucking mages first. There is a shortcut you can open that leads back from that crossroads area.

And Manus is harder than anything else in the game. Definitely

Edited by Lotos8ter at 09:26:01 09-11-2012

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 9 Nov 2012 09:49:28 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @quadfather :D nice one.

Gough is behind the locked door in the bit above where you fought Artorias. the key is in that massive house where you fought loads of those mop heads. You'll see a room with a lit fireplace off to the side. You have to do a running jump over into there - thats where the key is.

I doubt you've fucked it (Alvina), she'll probably reappear when you go back down there. Edit - if she doesn't just get out a cheap weapon and smack all the walls down there and deeper down that tunnel until you reveal something.

Its a nasty area with a carefully engineered ambush if you try to get to the boss without clearing one of those fucking mages first. There is a shortcut you can open that leads back from that crossroads area.

And Manus is harder than anything else in the game. Definitely
    Cheers :D

You know when you get killed so often, you just go "ffs, come on then" and stay hollow and just slog it out till you get it right, ignoring deaths? Yeah, one of those sessions :)

Those mopheads are absolute bastards in a group and lethal with a mage around. I noticed that with the crest shield, you don't take that much damage, but it craps on your stamina, and right at the stagger point, the mopheads jump you. Absolute cunts :)

I hoovered up the place ok, and I know exactly where you mean about the ambush (Cunts!)

I know where that door is too. Cool.

Also, got 2 slabs last night - suicide kalameet one, and I found another - can't remember where it was, but I suppose that's a bonus.

Done shortcut too.

Running jump will be hilarious later no doubt. cheers for that though.

Got the tracers - nice bs damage, but to be honest, my furysword does even more, and does better up front damage, so not sure about those yet. I'll experiment.

Got the developer door open too.

But in a word, overall: cunts :-)

• mcmothercruncher 9 Nov 2012 10:50:25 6,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe, those mages absolutely KILL me too. I'm sure I loose nearly half my health per hit. Yup, Crest Shield all the way for regular DLC bits, but still, total bastards.

I must get the Fury Sword up to par then and do some upgrading. The stock attacks of both tracers are more like little paper cuts ;)
    The reposte/backstab of the Dark Tracer offsets that, if you make it your approach to hunt for them as you play and the Gold Tracers bleed is ferocious when it connects- it decimated the Asylum Demon in 40 seconds :cool:
  • Jazzassin 9 Nov 2012 10:50:50 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Find the Silver Pendant, it makes you invulnerable to all magic for a couple seconds. Wish I'd discovered it earlier, would have made the dark magic casters a lot easier... you'll definitely find Manus easier with it. Also, summon Sif, so Manus won't focus on you all the time. Sif needs to be found first in a secret passage near the elevator short cut, guarded by some spirits. Her summon sign is pretty hard to find during the fight though...

The Silver Pendant in the Township, on a ledge. You'll find a message "Let there be light": use a light spell or an item and a secret door opens.

Hawkeye Gough is above the arena where you fight Artorias. The key is in the Township guarded by a mimic... be careful though, if you leave the area or reload after killing it, the key disappears which is what happened to me.

Edited by Jazzassin at 10:53:40 09-11-2012
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2012 11:02:51 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:
    Find the Silver Pendant, it makes you invulnerable to all magic for a couple seconds. Wish I'd discovered it earlier, would have made the dark magic casters a lot easier... you'll definitely find Manus easier with it. Also, summon Sif, so Manus won't focus on you all the time. Sif needs to be found first in a secret passage near the elevator short cut, guarded by some spirits. Her summon sign is pretty hard to find during the fight though...
    Roger that - I did find the pendant, but when I checked my inventory, it said "1" by it. So I thought, "Shit, is that just going to be used up when I use it?" so I left it alone. Still got it though. I'm assuming that you can keep activating it, and it lasts a certain amount of time? or?...

Still trying to find Sif. Followed alvina, but then got battered by those bloathead bastards. But I've unlocked the shortcut, so will explore.

Hawkeye Gough is above the arena where you fight Artorias. The key is in the Township guarded by a mimic... be careful though, if you leave the area or reload after killing it, the key disappears which is what happened to me.
    Please tell me you're joking? Please?

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Definitely killed a mimic, but pretty sure I haven't got a key

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I hate this game so much sometimes :(

• quadfather 9 Nov 2012 11:32:34 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, hang on, I might have killed the other mimic chest, that drops the carving...

might be alright yet :)

• quadfather 9 Nov 2012 11:36:41 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, I met the chained prisoner too. Jesus H christ, I wasn't ready for him :)

• quadfather 9 Nov 2012 11:51:17 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you did not defeat Sif in the base game yet and received the Cleansing Greatshield from him, his introductory cutscene changes, clearly recognizing you as his savior and reluctantly choosing to fight.

/cry

Edited by quadfather at 11:51:32 09-11-2012

• Architect_z 9 Nov 2012 11:53:28 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmmmmm, is it worth using the dragon slayer spear? Being a faith/dex build it scales B with both dex and faith (and C with strength). Surely it would rock with my build?
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2012 12:02:21 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    looks alright I guess. Don't like the 20 durability loss on the r2 attack though. Never tried it to be honest

• Jazzassin 9 Nov 2012 12:26:24 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Yup. I ended up killing him in another room (they take a lot of beating on NG+...), and therefore never even saw the key. After I had finished the DCL I googled it and realised I'd missed my only chance.

Sooo.... currently doing a new playthrough so I can actually see the content.

And that is my only real complaint about the game:

1. You can either go in blind and feel the full magic of the game, but risk some sort of massive failure resulting in you missing a large chunk of the game (not getting the key to Gough means you miss out on a bunch of gear and can't fight one boss at all).

2. Find out what you're supposed to do before you do it, spoiling all the surprises, but this way you get to at least see all of it.

3. Play through the game several times meticulously experimenting and endlessly retreading your steps to see if you missed something or something new popped up, which -let's face it- most people do not have the time or the patience to do.
  • fiery_jackass 9 Nov 2012 12:28:57 462 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I maintain that the best way to deal with dark mages is to run away, or to block them on psn after they've pulverised you. The "item" you're hoping to use is not really workable in pvp, at least not if you're up against someone with some wit to go with their spam-fingers
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2012 12:36:48 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

Yup. I ended up killing him in another room (they take a lot of beating on NG+...), and therefore never even saw the key. After I had finished the DCL I googled it and realised I'd missed my only chance.

Sooo.... currently doing a new playthrough so I can actually see the content.

And that is my only real complaint about the game:

1. You can either go in blind and feel the full magic of the game, but risk some sort of massive failure resulting in you missing a large chunk of the game (not getting the key to Gough means you miss out on a bunch of gear and can't fight one boss at all).

2. Find out what you're supposed to do before you do it, spoiling all the surprises, but this way you get to at least see all of it.

3. Play through the game several times meticulously experimenting and endlessly retreading your steps to see if you missed something or something new popped up, which -let's face it- most people do not have the time or the patience to do.
    It is a fucker I have to agree - I used flamelurker's soul first time around without giving it to ed....Pretty much knackered that playthrough

I normally go for option 3, but I hate the "got to get item x as soon as it drops within 20 seconds or it's gone forever" stuff

However, I may have got my mimic chests mixed up, so I'll have to check later on what the damage is

I've got plenty of characters that I can load up and get into the dlc, but I was rather hoping I could use this well.

time will tell

• quadfather 9 Nov 2012 12:38:04 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    I maintain that the best way to deal with dark mages is to run away, or to block them on psn after they've pulverised you. The "item" you're hoping to use is not really workable in pvp, at least not if you're up against someone with some wit to go with their spam-fingers
    I'm a bit of a explorer though - I like to clear everything out and explore every inch of each area.

Plus they were pissing my off and I'd had too many pints :)

Is the item usable in the manus boss fight?

• Jazzassin 9 Nov 2012 12:49:14 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

I think it was made for that fight. After you've chipped away some of his health he starts doing dark magic attacks which you can dodge (harder... and probably requires the <25% light roll as you need to do 3-4 backwards rolls to avoid one of them) or just block with the pendant (easier).

Although that means you have to keep toggling between the pendant and your Estus flask constantly.
  • Architect_z 9 Nov 2012 12:59:14 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather - It doesnt seem to be amazingly strong, but i'm hoping the scaling will sweeten the deal. I usually use spears 2 handed, and even when using a shield I rarely R2 attack. Even the lightning attack only uses 20 durability and it has 300 durability in total, so its not too taxing I guess.

@Jazzassin - I recently used that picture of Jake as my phone backdrop. Nice. ^_^
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2012 13:06:46 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

I think it was made for that fight. After you've chipped away some of his health he starts doing dark magic attacks which you can dodge (harder... and probably requires the <25% light roll as you need to do 3-4 backwards rolls to avoid one of them) or just block with the pendant (easier).

Although that means you have to keep toggling between the pendant and your Estus flask constantly.
    Right. I see.

Hmm, that's going to be a bastard. Are his dark magic attacks telegraphed, or do you have to rush like hell to get it activated?

I had no idea what he was going to be like when I went through the fog, so I just locked on and started strafing to see what happened. Got a few hits in, but then got caught by his melee attacks - you know the rest...

I've just read about an extremely cheap way of killing him, but I'll try the normal route

• Architect_z 9 Nov 2012 13:25:22 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather - Manus is probably the hardest boss i've ever fought on Dark Souls, although the black dragon isnt much easier.
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2012 13:32:40 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    @quadfather - Manus is probably the hardest boss i've ever fought on Dark Souls, although the black dragon isnt much easier.
    Might use the cheap way then :-)

• Architect_z 9 Nov 2012 13:53:19 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Architect_z wrote:
    I ended up summoning people to help me. :(
    I never normally do, but I wasnt even denting him with my weapons or miracles, so I called for aid.
  • Jazzassin 9 Nov 2012 13:55:16 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Architect_z wrote:
    You mean sniping him with bow and arrow before actually going through the fog gate?

Tried it, and while it does work, it probably takes aaaages and a boat load of arrows. Not worth it in my opinion... he's not *that* hard.
  • Jazzassin 9 Nov 2012 13:55:57 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:

@Jazzassin - I recently used that picture of Jake as my phone backdrop. Nice. ^_^
    \o/
  • quadfather 9 Nov 2012 14:00:23 11,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Architect_z wrote:
    You mean sniping him with bow and arrow before actually going through the fog gate?

Tried it, and while it does work, it probably takes aaaages and a boat load of arrows. Not worth it in my opinion... he's not *that* hard.
    Yeah, true.

Plus I want to summon sif and get the alternative standard sif cutscene

• senso-ji 9 Nov 2012 14:06:48 5,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather

You don't need to summon Sif for the fight to get the alternate cut scene. In fact, I think you don't need to save her either - just beating Manus before fighting Sif should do the trick.
  • Architect_z 9 Nov 2012 14:12:00 2,374 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ah Sweet! I defeated Manus before Sif So as ive just started NG+, I should get the cutscene when I next fight dogbert.
  • Page

of 1196 First / Last