Dark Souls Page 603

• Page

of 1199 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 7 Oct 2012 19:45:45 4,015 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @puddleduck

Hmm, interesting! I've been wearing the Crimson set (well, most of it) since i found it on my initial playthrough, just at Blighttown on NG++ now!

I like to wear Havel's Helm or the Fang Boar Helm. My lad looks a right loon with the latter :)
  • Rusty_M 7 Oct 2012 20:05:57 4,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mingster They've both caused me a lot of grief and both are still alive.

I'm not sure I'm at a high enough level to take them on. Only a SL21 warrior in knight armour. Leveling dex, end and vit fairly equally.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• puddleduck 7 Oct 2012 20:51:30 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah one of them is really easy and the other is a bastard. The bastard is prone to bleeding damage, whilst the easy one doesn't like it when you get in his face (or faces)... just don't get too close ;)
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 22:31:11 6,756 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really like the Balder Sword now I've had a play (with, you know, the one of TWO I have). Have always tended toward the slash and thrust swords like the Katanas and the Claymore.
    Yes, it's a touch down on damage compared to them, but the stamina use is better and the weight is awesomesauce at only 3. I can see why it's popular.
  • Tuffty 7 Oct 2012 22:40:47 1,546 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I upgraded my Falchion + 10 to Queelag's Furysword! I think I'm in love. The way it looks, the way it looks as you swing it. I approve.
  • puddleduck 7 Oct 2012 22:59:17 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, always a lovely sword the first time you get it :) Remains pretty solid and useful throughout the game.

The BSS is a cracking little sword. Just has a really good moveset.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Oct 2012 23:42:34 4,015 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Even when i'm not playing Dark Souls (Borderlands 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 enforced a bit of down time), i'm still lurking in here reading about other folks' woes and triumphs!

/thread hug :)
  • PenguinJim 8 Oct 2012 04:46:53 5,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mingster wrote:
    Anyone killed the hydra yet on the PC version?
    <--- At least one person! :)
  • quadfather 8 Oct 2012 08:37:06 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Really like the Balder Sword now I've had a play (with, you know, the one of TWO I have). Have always tended toward the slash and thrust swords like the Katanas and the Claymore.
    Yes, it's a touch down on damage compared to them, but the stamina use is better and the weight is awesomesauce at only 3. I can see why it's popular.
    Stop lording it up, you :)

It is a great sword though, for all the points you raise, plus don't forget it scales A with dex eventually

Gaping down

Now I need to decide on an armour set.

Pd - where's the maiden set again + dingy? I'm going to do the chest armour + tattered manchete and dingy/maiden combo I think, with stone or upgraded elite as a backup I reckon

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Architect_z 8 Oct 2012 09:46:47 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dammit I want a Baldur sword. Being as this is my magic class, I wanna buy some more magic spells. Gonna save that dude from the undead burg bit before the crapra and get him to see me some stuff.
    Anyone know what the best wand/catalyst is?

Edited by Architect_z at 09:48:50 08-10-2012
  • quadfather 8 Oct 2012 10:01:05 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the Tin Crystallization Catalyst is the one that has the most +magic adjust. But it's quite far into the game before it's available (killing hollow big hat logan)

as for the rest...

• StixxUK 8 Oct 2012 10:28:04 7,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I chose a pyro at the start but barely used any magic. Trying to kill the gargoyles at the mo but just using the drake sword. Still only got one spell too, should I have more by this stage?
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 10:40:59
    I only started looking at magic till i was about 30 hours in. i only have heal, fireball, remedy and a couple i have found in the basin. Fireball can be quite handy in the depths, killing those flumps that drop from the ceiling, who give off decent souls for that stage in the game. (pfft sound like a expert! not really!)

Heal and remedy are quite useful, you can get away from using items which is quite handy.

Defeated the irom golem. On the phone. Summoned the NPC and i traversed the white light and phone rang. and he just took out 3/4 of his health as i stood where i entered. Ok i died as rolled of the edge trying to finish him off, but defeated him second time really easy. Nice souls as well :)

Edited by joelstinton at 10:50:40 08-10-2012
  • Architect_z 8 Oct 2012 10:42:54 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @StixxUK - After you've killed the gargoyles, you'll have a few choices of where to go. If you follow the route I normally do lower undead burg -> depths then you will find a man who can help.
    A tip, when you find him, rolling maybe better than swordplay. ^_^
  • StixxUK 8 Oct 2012 11:04:19 7,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gargoyles have been majorly kicking my ass. People seem to take them down much more quickly than I'm able to in videos I've seen. One on its own is no problem but the two together get me every time although I have come close to victory.

Next thing to try is going all out to kill one before the other shows up and also going human and summoning solaire.
  • quadfather 8 Oct 2012 11:29:00 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Gargoyles have been majorly kicking my ass. People seem to take them down much more quickly than I'm able to in videos I've seen. One on its own is no problem but the two together get me every time although I have come close to victory.

Next thing to try is going all out to kill one before the other shows up and also going human and summoning solaire.
    definitely summon solaire
    if you have any left, buff your weapon with pine resin to give it a lightning boost.

The trick is to get rid of the first one quickly, before the other arrives. With solaire and a weapon buff, you'll find this fight a ton easier

edit - Ah, just read that you're using the drake sword, which you can't buff.

You could try 2-handing the drake sword + have solaire and just go for it.

Once the first one is down, just circle the 2nd one and wade in when the fire attack finished

Edited by quadfather at 11:30:09 08-10-2012

• StixxUK 8 Oct 2012 11:36:02 7,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm gonna kill these bitches tonight!

Cheers :-)
  • Architect_z 8 Oct 2012 11:42:33 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @StixxUK - The main advice I give regarding the gargoyles (if you can't or don't want to summon help). Is basically keep your distance. Take as much as you can off the first gargoyle (before the other dude shows up), try and keep them seperate and concentrate on killing the first gargoyle before bothering with the second guy. The 2nd gargoyle tends to spam a fire breathing attack, when he does that, simply break your lock and run to a different area of the rooftop, the 1st gargoyle will normally go after you while the other one is breathing fire all over the shop. (Something I didnt know at first while trying to take them on, you can block the fire attack with your shield.)
  • StixxUK 8 Oct 2012 12:04:41 7,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Breaking the lock to run away effectively is something I definitely need to work on!
  • quadfather 8 Oct 2012 12:25:05 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, there's more situations than you think where breaking lock will save your life

• IJ 8 Oct 2012 12:40:17 819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One on their own is fairly easy, and infact once two spawn and you kill one, the other is easier to handle than the first, because you can just wait for the fire breath and run around and stab them. So really killing the first is the key.

I just smashed the first one as much as I could. When it got close the 50% health I made sure I only attacked it when I could get a couple of big hits in, taking it down to 35ish percent as the second one showed up. I then tried to ignore the second one and just hammer the first one until it's down. Don't worry to much about health etc as the second one is fairly easy to kill on its own.

Edited by IJ at 12:41:06 08-10-2012
  • quadfather 8 Oct 2012 13:09:26 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Puddleduck - actually, post patch, I think the usefulness of armour has changed a tad- have a look now - http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Armor

• StixxUK 8 Oct 2012 19:32:14 7,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just had a play... and true to my word I whupped those 'goyles on my first attempt. With a bit of help from my mate Solaire, who drew the fire and made it piss easy! Rang the bell... now what?!?
  • quadfather 8 Oct 2012 20:04:44 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @StixxUK - lower undead burg and capra. Good luck :)

• Rusty_M 8 Oct 2012 20:15:45 4,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Just had a play... and true to my word I whupped those 'goyles on my first attempt. With a bit of help from my mate Solaire, who drew the fire and made it piss easy! Rang the bell... now what?!?
    I helped a guy fight them the other night. He sent me a concerned message because he couldn't see me at the end of the fight. He and solaire took the first gargoyle whilst I pummeled Mr. Fire-Breath. Both of them died almost at exactly the same time. The guy couldn't see me because I was on the other side of the roof. Was one of my best moments playing this.

That made me glad I managed to join the Warriors of Sunlight, although I now realise I'd seen their summon sign all over the place and ignored it because I thought it was a PVP soapstone sign.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• puddleduck 8 Oct 2012 22:07:25 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather

Will spoiler the rest of this, but if anyone else is keen for a little summary of armours I've used throughout my many hours, the following all rank nicely in my list of kit :p

To be fair the Dingy Robe and Maiden Skirt were so awesome for me because they have excellent lightning protection. So for most of the online/multiplayer stuff (as well as my usual Sunbroing O & S) they're almost unmatched in terms of weight.

Special mentions for the Witch Cloak and Logans Hat.

If you're after a little bit of poise to stop yourself getting staggered by everything, I recommend Solaire's Chest Piece as well as the Chainmail set. Really good physical protection. Other notable mentions definitely include Kirks Thorns Set. Just one piece of it means if you roll into any enemy that doesn't have poise, they'll stagger. Excellent to use against the gargoyles in Anor Londo :p

Some other excellent heavier armours, the Dark Chest and Gauntlets are very good all around. Ornstein's is good, but bettered by the Dark Set in almost every way. The Silver Knight set is also a pretty decent set.

Obviously, if you're looking at heavy armour, the Giant's set is pretty excellent, as well as Smoughs. His gauntlets actually look pretty cool :p

Edited by puddleduck at 22:14:06 08-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Oct 2012 22:55:59 6,756 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I LOVE dressing up as Smough- only in such a twisted game could they have created what basically amounts to a fatsuit. Just a really, really cool fatsuit.
  • puddleduck 8 Oct 2012 23:01:52 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was always something amusing about fighting people whilst wearing Smoughs armour and using the dark wood grain ring :p

Also @DD

Getting my copy back tomorrow and free during the day on Wednesday and Thursday potentially ;) I may be rusty mind... but potential for a new runthrough together? We could look at creating some really low level chars and seeing how far we get? ;) Maybe the fourth king will actually appear haha

Edited by puddleduck at 23:04:43 08-10-2012
  • quadfather 9 Oct 2012 09:43:46 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    @quadfather

Will spoiler the rest of this, but if anyone else is keen for a little summary of armours I've used throughout my many hours, the following all rank nicely in my list of kit :p

To be fair the Dingy Robe and Maiden Skirt were so awesome for me because they have excellent lightning protection. So for most of the online/multiplayer stuff (as well as my usual Sunbroing O & S) they're almost unmatched in terms of weight.

Special mentions for the Witch Cloak and Logans Hat.

If you're after a little bit of poise to stop yourself getting staggered by everything, I recommend Solaire's Chest Piece as well as the Chainmail set. Really good physical protection. Other notable mentions definitely include Kirks Thorns Set. Just one piece of it means if you roll into any enemy that doesn't have poise, they'll stagger. Excellent to use against the gargoyles in Anor Londo :p

Some other excellent heavier armours, the Dark Chest and Gauntlets are very good all around. Ornstein's is good, but bettered by the Dark Set in almost every way. The Silver Knight set is also a pretty decent set.

Obviously, if you're looking at heavy armour, the Giant's set is pretty excellent, as well as Smoughs. His gauntlets actually look pretty cool :p
    ah, but have you seen the changes in patch 1.05?

• quadfather 9 Oct 2012 09:47:20 11,978 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    First death(s) on my new PC character last night. And Yup, bloody blighttown, every time :)

One was getting hit and the resulting stagger took me off the edge of a platform to land on the edge of another platform below (non-lethal fall), but I landed just SLIGHTLY too much on the edge of that one, so obviously the game thought it'd be best to plummet me 100 feet to my death :)

Got souls and humanity back, and then got stuck with 3 lizard men and those pissing dogs near the bonfire.

Got souls back again though :)

Done mildred and quelaag and t'other bell. Haven't really cleaned up bt though, probably come back later and sort that.

Forgot witch's ring so couldn't join chaos doo-dah

And ended up back at firelink, ready for either darkwood basin or sens

Dying to see new content!

• Page

of 1199 First / Last