Dark Souls Page 600

• Page

of 1201 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 5 Oct 2012 09:23:50 4,126 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gah, I only need the Strongest Weapon, Magic Weapon and Knight's Honour trophies for the Platinum!

I'm just hitting Blight Town on my NG++, must have taken me less than 90 minutes to get there! Tarus, Capra, Stray Demons and the Bell Gargoyles all went down during that time too. Bring it! :D
  • Dangerous_Dan 5 Oct 2012 09:26:13 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather I'd do the 3 guys in the church hall and then run out to the one guy who's next to the wooden planks bridge. I think only the guys who have the balder sword do drop it. The rapier guys drop a rapier, me thinks.
  • Lotos8ter 5 Oct 2012 09:44:47 2,358 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DD - I think that's 100%. Its almost like the game has a sixth sense sometimes when it knows you're farming for a weapon, it never drops. then when you're running through during another area, it drops first time.

Also, Prepare to Die, Boss: Fuck you Manus

/dies again

Fiat Lux

• Elathron 5 Oct 2012 09:56:46 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - I was in the same position, trying for the side sword on a vanilla character. Last night I upgraded the halberd to +5 and levelled up a few times. That thing 1HKO's anything with it's 2H R1 around the undead burg/parish areas, the R2 is also perfect for mobs! What a great, early weapon. After about 20 runs I decided to change tac and parried the Knights instead... In one run I got a rpaier and 2 side swords, as well as another full baldur set! I swear down that parry/riposting enemies increases their drop rate (I had 9 humanity FYI). Has anyeone else experienced this, if not, care to give it a go?

Edited by Elathron at 10:03:06 05-10-2012

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Elathron 5 Oct 2012 10:02:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @joelstinton
    joelstinton wrote:
    On a side note, i made the fatal mistake of trying to pad out my character in all directions. I need to focus more on DEX/Intellgience now i think.
    If you're going down that route, bear in mind that you can still have 30/40 end/vit. Those 2 will save your life more often than having higher DPS on NG.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 5 Oct 2012 10:11:54 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Its almost like the game has a sixth sense sometimes when it knows you're farming for a weapon, it never drops. then when you're running through during another area, it drops first time.
    Fucking Amen to this

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mcmothercruncher 5 Oct 2012 10:12:28 7,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    On a side note, i made the fatal mistake of trying to pad out my character in all directions. I need to focus more on DEX/Intellgience now i think.
    We did all warn ya ;)

I think most people do that on their first build though. Ooo! There's a nice sword, I'll just bung a couple of points into strength, oh, and a nice spell... 3 points into intelligence etc. I know I did back in Demon's Souls for sure.
    Aside from vitality/endurance, just max out a couple of offensive stats from now. Seeing as you can infinitely level, it's no biggie. An uber optimised build is needed most for pvp, but even there I think people get too hung up on stats- there are so many factors in a fight and nefarious ways of killing that a couple of extra points here and there aren't going to make a real difference.
  • quadfather 5 Oct 2012 10:13:35 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    After about 20 runs I decided to change tac and parried the Knights instead... In one run I got a rpaier and 2 side swords, as well as another full baldur set!
    Da fuck!?

I must have done 10-20 runs last night over 2 separate sessions with 10 humanity each time and got fuck all.

Whether the attack method comes into it, I don't know.

I was using 2 methods - 1) fireball, fireball, fireball, and 2) backstab

thinking about it, I wasn't parrying at all

that can't be it, can it?

can it?!

• mcmothercruncher 5 Oct 2012 10:14:05 7,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Its almost like the game has a sixth sense sometimes when it knows you're farming for a weapon, it never drops. then when you're running through during another area, it drops first time.
    Fucking Amen to this
    I've thought the same, I'd love to know if there is a weeny bit of code hiding somewhere and controlling this. I had the same issue trying to get the Stone Sword to drop for hours. I was swimming in Stone Shields. Hopefully you're getting bucket loads of souls in the meantime.
  • quadfather 5 Oct 2012 10:25:10 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On the plus side, Ive stopped dying so much

Though I have gone overboard on Vitality and Endurance straight away - 20 each already. Everything else is on 12, with 8 faith and 9 intelligence

But a longsword +2 isn't really cutting it anymore

• Elathron 5 Oct 2012 10:25:49 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather - I think m8, that it is! I think for some reason that the critical adds to the item find equation. I know that sounds barmy but the more critical rating your weapon has, the more you seem to get nice stuff from enemies when you parry/riposte. That's in my experience anyway. I've even tested it on the Black Knights dotted around the place - so far I've had the halberd and the BK Sword drop from 3 knights. I'd say it's plausible because the thief starting weapon is the thief dagger which has high critical, thieves also seem to get better drop rates when they parry/riposte (which is in keeping with their role). Perhaps I was just lucky but it's surely not just coincidence...

• Widge Moderator 5 Oct 2012 10:28:28 13,544 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    We did all warn ya ;)

I think most people do that on their first build though. Ooo! There's a nice sword, I'll just bung a couple of points into strength, oh, and a nice spell... 3 points into intelligence etc. I know I did back in Demon's Souls for sure.
    Aside from vitality/endurance, just max out a couple of offensive stats from now. Seeing as you can infinitely level, it's no biggie. An uber optimised build is needed most for pvp, but even there I think people get too hung up on stats- there are so many factors in a fight and nefarious ways of killing that a couple of extra points here and there aren't going to make a real difference.
    I'm like this too, about SL83. Started off getting a certain amount of strength for certain swords but have recently made a late shift into Int. I like to think it makes me flexible for general game scenarios, but useless for PvP.

I think I'd try a Faith build on my next play through. Feel like it suits me well. I could see me going down the divine weapon route quite heavily and having some scaling going on. Although wiki-ing shows that I have missed shed loads of faith spells.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• quadfather 5 Oct 2012 10:35:55 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - certainly an interesting idea. I have to say that I am backstabbing a hell of a lot - pretty much 90% of fights, I'll get a backstab in, but it's getting to the point where a longsword +2 doesn't kill them in one backstab.

I'm mulling over which weapon to take to +5 at the moment. Suppose I could use the longsword at a pinch.

Trying to think what's in my grasp where I am (andre bonfire, bout level 20 odd). Will probably go for dex over strength. Maybe.

• Elathron 5 Oct 2012 10:43:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather - You've got the halberd, claymore, partizan, pike, rapier, estoc, winged spear, parrying dagger, mail breaker & thief's dagger all within 5 minutes of where you are now... If that helps :D

I used to backstab, but I found that the enemies dropped the same amount as if they were killed normally. I was also right, the rapier wielding baldur knights drop 200 souls normally on NG (remembering from last night) but if you parry/riposte their first attack - they drop 241 souls instead. 20.04% increase (ish), presumably the same happens to the item find?

Edited by Elathron at 10:43:58 05-10-2012

• Dangerous_Dan 5 Oct 2012 10:51:24 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - I once had that feeling while farming for titanite in the New Londo Ruins. Higher damage kills like backstabs with hornet ring seemed to yield a higher drop-rate.

I dismissed it at the time but now, reading your story makes me wonder.
    Maybe there is a hidden modifier.
  • senso-ji 5 Oct 2012 10:56:30 5,902 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you one shot enemies, then you get a slight increase in souls. Maybe the algorithm that determines how much extra souls you get also deals with the drop rate for items?
  • Dangerous_Dan 5 Oct 2012 11:05:14 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm off early today and just tried out the rapier balder knights theory.

In NG:
    You kill them in a normal way: 200 souls
    You kill them normal with one hit: 200 souls
    You use a riposte: 241 souls
    You use a backstab: 241 souls

Does not seem to work with the sword balder knights.
  • Elathron 5 Oct 2012 11:15:07 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - I've had it work with the regular ones before - but it was seemingly a random thing... It was still 241 souls & usually if I parried them on their first swing. I think we may have accidentally stumbled across a hidden mechanic - YAY!

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 11:27:52
    Dark souls. You beautiful bastard bitch. Argh. Ascending Sen Fortress. Got to bit with the narrow ledge with the mage lizard at the side. Run. Completley missed timed my roll, scycthed off. Sigh. Back to the parish. I'm guessing its similar to the one just before it where you need a quck double roll.

Edited by joelstinton at 11:28:16 05-10-2012
  • quadfather 5 Oct 2012 11:29:18 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never mind your bloody mechanics, what about my bloody balder side sword!

halberd, claymore, partizan, pike, rapier, estoc, winged spear, parrying dagger, mail breaker & thief's dagger

halberd - maybe, good call
    claymore - too slow for me
    partizan - maybe
    pike - never tried, so tempted
    rapier - got
    estoc - mm, where's this again?
    Winged spear - ditto?
    parrying dagger - someone sell this?
    Mail breaker - might have it, might not
    thiefs dagger - can't remember where it is :)

• quadfather 5 Oct 2012 11:30:17 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @joelstinton - lob something at him before you go across the bridge - arrows, firebomb, spell - anything to get the twat out the way

• TOOTR 5 Oct 2012 11:35:53 9,556 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @joelstinton - lob something at him before you go across the bridge - arrows, firebomb, spell - anything to get the twat out the way
    This! Trying to roll and run past the blades with him there is foolhardy bravery at best :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• TOOTR 5 Oct 2012 11:35:55 9,556 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    This! Trying to roll and run past the blades with him there is foolhardy bravery at best :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Elathron 5 Oct 2012 11:38:25 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather

Estoc - down in the bit with zombies at the bottom of the Firelink/New Londo elevator.
    Winged spear - In the Firelink Graveyard.
    Parrying dagger - In New Londo, after killing the first room full of ghosts.
    Mail breaker - In the first room that opens in the Lower Burg (high critial damage, good as a side arm for ripostes)
    Thief's Dagger - Drops from the Hollow Thieves in the Lower Burg (however, a similar drop rate to the Balder Side-sword :p)

• Dangerous_Dan 5 Oct 2012 11:52:56 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - Very strange thing but what it means is that they can modify stuff like souls and drop-rate depending on the way you kill an enemy. The game engine does support that - so item drop rate could very well depend on high damage kills or special kills.

Can't pull it off with the normal balder knights but the rapier ones work for more souls.
    Maybe it's a typo in their code and it was never inteded to drop more after parry or backstab (because it seems only to affect the rapier balder knights). But it does show that their engine is capable of rewarding differently for special kills.

Key is to finish the balder knight with a backstab or riposte or normal attack if he's still in the gotten parried animation.
    What he or you do before dealing the killing blow does not seem to affect the outcome.

Cool stuff! Cheers Elathron.
  • quadfather 5 Oct 2012 11:55:20 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @quadfather

Estoc - down in the bit with zombies at the bottom of the Firelink/New Londo elevator.
    Winged spear - In the Firelink Graveyard.
    Parrying dagger - In New Londo, after killing the first room full of ghosts.
    Mail breaker - In the first room that opens in the Lower Burg (high critial damage, good as a side arm for ripostes)
    Thief's Dagger - Drops from the Hollow Thieves in the Lower Burg (however, a similar drop rate to the Balder Side-sword :p)

Cheers!

You can tell I've not played for a while. Completely forgot about the estoc, doh
    And the weapons in the graveyard, sigh :)

lol @ droprate :)

• quadfather 5 Oct 2012 11:56:46 12,121 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @Elathron - Very strange thing but what it means is that they can modify stuff like souls and drop-rate depending on the way you kill an enemy. The game engine does support that - so item drop rate could very well depend on high damage kills or special kills.

Can't pull it off with the normal balder knights but the rapier ones work for more souls.
    Maybe it's a typo in their code and it was never inteded to drop more after parry or backstab (because it seems only to affect the rapier balder knights). But it does show that their engine is capable of rewarding differently for special kills.

Key is to finish the balder knight with a backstab or riposte or normal attack if he's still in the gotten parried animation.
    What he or you do before dealing the killing blow does not seem to affect the outcome.

Cool stuff! Cheers Elathron.
    That can't be right. Or at least, it can't be right for backstabs. I backstabbed over 40 of them last night, and not one dropped anything decent

• Elathron 5 Oct 2012 11:58:06 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nae worries guys! Again, even after a year - we're still finding new things out about the game. Quaddy, you'll get back into it. The muscle memory never leaves for too long!

• Rusty_M 5 Oct 2012 12:01:50 4,679 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, the Thief's dagger is rare too is it? I picked that up in a single run of the area.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Architect_z 5 Oct 2012 12:04:09 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I want a Baldur side sword, I think when its enchanted, it scales A with magic, so good for my magic character.

Edited by Architect_z at 12:45:29 05-10-2012
  • Page

of 1201 First / Last