Dark Souls Page 598

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Red_Bool 3 Oct 2012 15:24:26 1,142 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @joelstinton - When Mr Quad says 'take it very easy', he means 'take it *VERY* easy'. Especially on the left path really keep your eyes open and your shield up - my curiousity cost me a lot of souls there...
  • Elathron 3 Oct 2012 16:09:48 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Red_Bool - It's funny when you turn that mechanic on its head and you start earning souls from other people's curiosity :D

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 17:51:14
    Ok wasn't expecting them!. I died! to be honest i could now hold my own against one, but i saw more in the background! uh oh! The other route as some nice armour. I tried to get back round to the bonfire at the top but died as well ! going to do some levelling up for a while!

Edited by joelstinton at 17:51:59 03-10-2012
  • quadfather 3 Oct 2012 17:57:30 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @joelstinton - fucker's aren't they? :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 21:15:13
    Think i got my head round swords and upgrading now. Finally worked out what stats you need to wield weapons, and scaling stats as well. As an experiment, i put in two shards into a longsword, and with my stats, its adds on 26 or to the attacking. So i think i know how to go forth with this. The bastard sword, which i also put +1 into, as a good starting stat, but i hate the thrusting. i perfer the conventional sword actions.

Anyway, ventured back down to the valley of the drakes, know how to kill them pretty easily now (take a while atm, so not great for farming), and just lauanched arrows at the dead dragon.

Edited by joelstinton at 21:15:50 03-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 3 Oct 2012 22:08:56 5,722 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry quadfather, missed your post earlier- this is the scythe of dooooooom.
  • quadfather 4 Oct 2012 08:34:29 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - cool, I'll give it a go. Pity its in sens- its going to take me a little while getting there. Though I'm at the parish, farming balders and its getting easier. Did the obligatory 'kick lautrec off the cliff', though I also accidentally put his ring on by mistake. Bleedin Xbox controller. Still, getting there

• Tuffty 4 Oct 2012 09:01:16 1,392 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ceaseless Discharge seems like a right bastard. I can't take him on now but at least I got all that armor that makes you look like the Grim Reaper! Luckily I didn't have many souls on me either, so I can avoid him for now.
  • quadfather 4 Oct 2012 09:36:35 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    Ceaseless Discharge seems like a right bastard. I can't take him on now but at least I got all that armor that makes you look like the Grim Reaper! Luckily I didn't have many souls on me either, so I can avoid him for now.
    There's a way of cheesing him if you're interested. If not, don't read the below.

When you activate him buy picking up the armour, just run all the way back to the fog gate. He'll/it'll follow and lob a claw out near you. Hack at that and it's an instakill. However, if you've already activated him, this might not work, in which case, once he's activated, you have to go into the l-shaped tunnel bit and wait till he lashes a limb at you - hack at it, and wait for the next lash attack. Takes a while, but it's fairly safe

• quadfather 4 Oct 2012 09:37:42 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why
    Won't
    the
    fucking
    balder
    knights
    drop
    a
    fucking
    balder
    side
    sword
    for
    me?

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Oct 2012 09:39:35 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather - You are using the gold serpent ring and 10 humanity? That quadruples the drop chance.
  • quadfather 4 Oct 2012 09:44:01 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - I would if I could, but I'm on the new ptd on the pc, so I've had to start from scratch. Best I can manage at the moment is human form with 6 humanity. It will increase as I go, but it's early days at the moment.

Gold ring in sens isn't it?

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Oct 2012 09:54:15 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Right.
    I'd go with what the game hands me up to Anor Londo and then return with the gold serpent ring to farm for the balder sword. By then upgrading stuff to +10 is cheap n easy.

How's the PC player base? many invasions/summon signs?
  • quadfather 4 Oct 2012 10:02:06 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    yeah, I'm going to give it a bit longer and then prolly move on I think.

I'll see how it goes

When I've been online, there's quite a few messages about, and quite a few friendly summon signs, along with the fog doors sealing you in, in certain areas. I thought that was for invasions, but I didn't get invaded

seems fairly popular from what I can tell so far

plenty of bloodstains too :)

• Elathron 4 Oct 2012 10:08:32 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Fog doors which spring up and don't yield invaders mean that they're failing to connect to your world. Do you get the "failed to create session" messages quite often? Roll on decent broadband in this country! I've found also that if you 1HKO (with a critical hit on) an enemy, for some reason they're more likely to drop items (tested this in Lower New Londo Ruins & I got 2 more chunks on average than on my usual runs - hidden mechanic?). Sometimes I swear I get more souls from an enemy too if I parry and ripsote without getting hit... Probably me getting confused in the NG's though :confused:

Edited by Elathron at 10:09:00 04-10-2012

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Oct 2012 10:12:22 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I really like the Blightown area. If it wasn't such a slowdown affair in the lower parts. Fingers crossed that they can do something about it in the DLC/upcoming patch. Just remove the mosquitos, that should fix it.

The best thing I have seen in Dark Souls is the chameleon magic spell.
    Whoever came up with it was bold and a genius.
  • Elathron 4 Oct 2012 10:16:05 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - Agreed!!! Wouldn't it be nice to get a great chameleon spell though? Something that turned you into one of the native enemies perhaps - thus making potential searches that little bit more challenging for the unwary. I'd love to disguise myself as a silver knight or a demonic tree ^^

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Oct 2012 10:19:49 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - That would be really cool stuff. At one point I also thought it would be cool if you could invade as one of the creatures or take control of one of them with their respective movesets of course.

I hope they come up with more of these ideas in the hopefully inevitable sequel.
  • Elathron 4 Oct 2012 10:30:27 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - Such as with the red phantom enemies of the Gravelord? That would work quite well - it would certainly stop the griefing that goes on. But they're using the mechanic in resi 6, which will be a good indication of how well it would translate into other games.

Edited by Elathron at 10:39:42 04-10-2012

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Oct 2012 10:45:58 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When I heard about that thing in Resi 6 I was thinking, clearly inspired by dark souls or better demon's.
    But I do think this kind of interaction between people's single player campaigns should be adopted by more games in unique ways.
    Would encourage people to get a valid copy and keep more single player games viable business wise.

The gravelord covenant would work quite well if you could see what is going on in the infected world.

Imagine you infect one world and can then invade as an invisible or ghost like spectator who can taunt the poor bastard with gestures or something. Or just watch what happens. Would make the gravelord covenant much more interesting.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 11:00:01
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I really like the Blightown area. If it wasn't such a slowdown affair in the lower parts. Fingers crossed that they can do something about it in the DLC/upcoming patch. Just remove the mosquitos, that should fix it.

The best thing I have seen in Dark Souls is the chameleon magic spell.
    Whoever came up with it was bold and a genius.
    I'm in blightown at the moment. It is a sllloooowdown affair isn't it?. Not sure on it. the narrow platforms, and the mosquitos are bastards, especially with what feels like 2 fps at times. A couple of time i've launched myself over the edge.

Its not so bad when you get your bearings, but i prefer the outside world :). some nice treasure though!

Also some easy souls if you come in from firelink. Ran past the fatties and they follow you and launch themselves over the edge chasing you!
  • Elathron 4 Oct 2012 11:00:32 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - Gravelord is still broken IMO... I never get invaded by people who've been infected & not once have I had any bonuses from an enemy being slain by an uber-monster.
    So yes, being able to invade the world of the infected would be fun to say the least. You could have some powers that charge up which enable you to summon red-phantoms into the world you've invaded. 1/3 depending on type every minute would mean that the gravelord would ahve to be dealt with swiftly or you could find yourself mobbed by uber enemies. It would add a lot more tension to the whole "disasters" thing.
    And yeah, resi 6's invasions are so Dark Souls it makes me chuckle. However, the way they've implemented them is interesting. Imagine playing as a Tyrant ^^

• Elathron 4 Oct 2012 11:04:01 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @joelstinton - Make sure you explore the big tree at the far end. There's more to that tree than is first (seconds and third) apparent...

• quadfather 4 Oct 2012 11:45:10 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @quadfather - Fog doors which spring up and don't yield invaders mean that they're failing to connect to your world. Do you get the "failed to create session" messages quite often? Roll on decent broadband in this country! I've found also that if you 1HKO (with a critical hit on) an enemy, for some reason they're more likely to drop items (tested this in Lower New Londo Ruins & I got 2 more chunks on average than on my usual runs - hidden mechanic?). Sometimes I swear I get more souls from an enemy too if I parry and ripsote without getting hit... Probably me getting confused in the NG's though :confused:
    That's what I thought, so I stopped still and waited for the inevitable invasion which didn't happen. And there were no error messages either. Oh well.

yes, I try to 1hko most stuff if I can - but as I've started again, I've only got a pointed stick at the moment

• Elathron 4 Oct 2012 12:04:26 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - I created a new character last night and I'm at the same point as yourself. Used a Bandit as the starting class as I'm going for a faith/dex build - dropped all of the balder armour and the shield so far. But no sword. I upgraded the battle-axe to +5 so I could 1HKO the knights if they started to annoy me, but still no sword. Weird.

• quadfather 4 Oct 2012 12:19:11 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - Yeah, know what you mean. Even weirder is that they're dropping more titanite chunks than they are armour!

• Red_Bool 4 Oct 2012 12:52:19 1,142 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What again is so special about the Balder Side Sword? I have it but never looked at it because I was already using a Long Sword+5. Reading about it here made me curious so I upgraded it to +5 yesterday and did some swish-swooshing with it - it's basically a longer long sword right? Or am I missing some finer details?
  • quadfather 4 Oct 2012 12:58:42 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's got a nice reach, I like the move set, and it doesn't use that much stamia. And it scales A with Dex/Int, depending on how you upgrade it. Full benefits here -

Drop rate is very low for this, so it's preferable to farm it with the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring. If you do not have the ring, farming up 10 Humanity from the rats beneath the Drake bridge also increases drop rate.
    Appreciated by players for its adaptability and effectiveness in both PvE and PvP, due to its good reach, balanced moveset, and low stamina cost.
    A good alternative to any other straight sword, or even some greatswords such as the claymore.
    Low weight and stat requirements mean the sword is viable with nearly any build. It receives an A rating in Dexterity at +14/15 along the regular reinforcement path, making it excellent for Dexterity builds, and may also be buffed. The Enchanted elemental path grants an A scaling in Intelligence, making it a good option for mages unwilling to invest in the additional Strength and weight requirements of the Moonlight Greatsword. Other elemental paths such as Lightning or Fire/Chaos are also effective for other builds, particularly when using the powerful R2 thrust attacks.
    Has a similar move set to a longsword or shortsword, and the same base damage as a longsword, but generally greater range at similar stamina cost. The one-handed R2 (strong attack) is a thrust attack both the first and second attacks in a combo, instead of a upswing on the second attack. The second R2 thrust is faster than the first, making it particularly dangerous if the target is staggered by the first thrust or otherwise using a slower weapon. It also tracks independently of the first thrust, enabling an experienced user to punish moving targets with or without target lock.
    Thrust attacks have excellent range, good speed, and good tracking, even when used without target lock.
    Thrust attacks do significantly more damage than the slashes, and can also benefit from the Leo Ring.
    Greater range of the sword enables users to better distance themselves from targets, and reduces the likelihood of being parried provided one does not get too close. The powerful R2 thrust attacks are also very difficult to parry at range, similar to the thrust attacks of spears.

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Oct 2012 12:59:42 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Red_Bool - I think it's a bit faster and scales A-bonus with dexterity, eventually after upgrading. So you get more scale bonus per stat point.

I think it's inferior to a katana in the current console version PvP dynamic but it's, as ENB put it once, a baller sword. It may not be the most effective but you get creds if you use it, at least from me ;)

Or as quad once said:
    Looking badass is the most important thing in this game. (or something like that)

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 13:01:47 04-10-2012
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 13:02:38
    Elathron wrote:
    @joelstinton - Make sure you explore the big tree at the far end. There's more to that tree than is first (seconds and third) apparent...
    Cool, is that the big structure at the left of the bonfire?, got a fair way up it, and saw that sort of leechy thing, stuck to a wall, with an item underneath. got a bit too close!.

i just rang the second bell. And made my way out of there. needed light! no fireshrink bonfire :( . Ascended my long sword at the blacksmiths - now doing pretty much the same damage as a drake sword. Also going to add a few upgrades to maybe the falchion. also can now use sword of astoria.

Going to go back tho blightown later on, but going in via the depths. and give it a proper rummage through.
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last