Dark Souls Page 596

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• quadfather 2 Oct 2012 13:41:46 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    Only the knights with the shield drop the sword. The Baldur Shield is also pretty fecking awesome at low levels (if you progress through the traditional "story" route). The Duellist Knights will drop rapiers - funny you guys are looking for them, I can't stop them dropping!!!
    Velka's Talisman requires that you have the faith to use the miracles. It's pretty rubbish actually; at 99 int and 54 faith it had a lower magic adjust than the canvas talisman etc.
    The Embers for magic are simple to come by. The Enchanted Ember is in Darkroot Garden - next to the 2 big mushrooms in a pond. The Normal Magic Ember is errrrrrrrr, somewhere... Damn not having full internets at work. The Large Magic Ember is in Dukes (after defeating Logan/buggering up his questline) where you first met Seath.
    Yeah, my plan was to use an elemental or upgraded standard rapier till I get a balder sword, then use that till I get ricards and then maybe have an estoc or similar as a backup elemental sword

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 14:00:16 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

53 poise is required to not get stunned by a two-handed claymore class sword.
    In response to that... What about ultra greatswords (like the greatsword itself) and the MLGS? I'm sure the pure magic damage staggers enemies easier than with a regular claymore of similar damage...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 14:02:01 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Why elemental out of interest? Are you planning on a magic user then? If so, you may find the buffs on a regular weapon amount to far more damage than a pure elemental weapon...

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 2 Oct 2012 14:06:42 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - I was thinking of either a +15 something or other then use great crystal magic weapon on that, and then maybe have a +10 fire elemental as a backup. And/or maybe a lightning elemental one

not sure really

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 14:37:59 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Have a Chaos Weapon as your back-up... I use a Chaos Server +5 when I feel like going all elemental on someone's ass. Not only does it look cool but it also has a decent move-set, high damage, a great description (that changes when you enchant the weapon to chaos or occult) and finally you gain health when you hit stuff. Although, saying that, lightning spears/painting guardian swords are always going to hurt.
    By Great Crystal Magic Weapon, I guess you just mean Crystal Magic Weapon? If there was a great one, I'd use that every time!!!!

• Dangerous_Dan 2 Oct 2012 14:41:50 2,378 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron
    The amount of poise to avoid getting stunned depends on the sword class.
    Claymore, Bastard sword, Moonlight Greatsword and so on all belong in the same class and to not get stunned by them you need to have at least 53 poise (if the weapon is wielded in two hands and normal attack is performed). Single handed requires less poise to not get stunned.

The ultra greatsword class requires more poise to avoid getting stunned by. If wielded in two hands then more than 70 poise. I don't know the exact number.

Poise is like an invisible stamina bar. If you get hit by two or more hits in quick succession then you'll get stunned if all your poise is depleted.

Stun-locks:
    Upgrade paths do have an effect on stun-lock capability. Upgrading the normal +15 path results in the highest stun-lock capability (see PhantomEWGF on youtube, /watch?v=5EVdvduhI6E ).

Stun-locking is weapon specific. As in the video at 2min 50s it is shown that weapons may be in the same class poise damage wise but have a slightly different attack speed making them better or worse weapons to stun-lock the opponent.

To sum up, poise damage is weapon CLASS specific so all greatswords do the same poise damage as do all the standard swords or standard axes or ultra greatswords and so on.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 14:42:46 02-10-2012
  • Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 14:48:00 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How much poise does the wolf ring give you?
  • Dangerous_Dan 2 Oct 2012 14:48:27 2,378 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 14:57:18 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather
    Lightning Shotel! Purely for the unblockable hatred! Muhahahaha
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 15:01:04 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @quadfather - Have a Chaos Weapon as your back-up... I use a Chaos Server +5 when I feel like going all elemental on someone's ass. Not only does it look cool but it also has a decent move-set, high damage, a great description (that changes when you enchant the weapon to chaos or occult) and finally you gain health when you hit stuff. Although, saying that, lightning spears/painting guardian swords are always going to hurt.
    By Great Crystal Magic Weapon, I guess you just mean Crystal Magic Weapon? If there was a great one, I'd use that every time!!!!
    Aren't there two buffs? I could easily have got this wrong though

Forgot about chaos. Quite like chaos after fiddling with a furysword with loads of humanity

hm, decisions :)

• Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 15:08:00 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - 40! Bloody hell thats alot!

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find the benefits of a strength based character.
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 15:19:47 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    @quadfather
    Lightning Shotel! Purely for the unblockable hatred! Muhahahaha
    Oo yes, I played with one of those for a while. Really liked it, but eventually swapped to lightning estoc + hornet for the damage

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 15:26:39 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - There's only one other I think which is simply "magic weapon" - which is a bit pants considering the buff is dependent on your magic adjust for the damage it adds. I think 32int is the requirement for CMW, and that's what you wanna be aiming for anyway. Oh, on that subject - A_Z just mentioned not seeing the attraction of a strength class. Put it like this:
    I was using the Dragon's Tooth with 54 strength & parried someone while using the Hornet Ring. In total, I whacked the poor guy for 1,900-odd HP and he was wearing some pretty decent kit. Strength is also required to make an enchanted demon's great-axe/hammer. These 2 beasts scale S in int and C/D in strength when you upgrade them along this route to +5. Sure they're slow and you may need to tank a little - but when thy connect, you can be sure 1 KO an enemy very soon afterwards. The Demon's Greataxe in particular hits 3 times with the Hornet Ring (instead of the usual 2 times) - the last time it hits it does some insane ground pound where an enemy is literally mashed into the ground (the animation for this riposte is the longest I've seen of any weapon too).

Edited by Elathron at 15:31:58 02-10-2012

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 15:29:47 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - So, I was right in thinking that the MLGS is better at stun-lock because its attacks are marginally faster than a claymore's. Trying to work out what the fastest greatsword would be: flamberge, claymore or murakamo(sic)?

• quadfather 2 Oct 2012 15:34:06 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - that's the one - I was getting magic weapon and cmw mixed up.

Hmm, I'm also tempted for a strength char...

heh, here we go again

• Dangerous_Dan 2 Oct 2012 15:40:08 2,378 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - I don't know if it's faster than a claymore but it is faster than a man-serpent sword. I get stun-locked by a claymore as well. Maybe the MLGS has a more solid stun-lock, idk.
    I usually use fast weapons in PvP so I just know about how to break free of a stun-lock or to be prepared for an attempt.
    Have to do the toggle weapon trick to break free from a stun-lock - but 2 hits I have to take as well.
  • Elathron 2 Oct 2012 15:40:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather

heh, here we go again
    I think that will be the story of our lives until the inevitible release of "Dark Souls; Return to Lordran" :lol:

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 15:42:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - OK... Here's for more experimenting tonight. Awwww. And I've only got 7 more cheevos to go for the trophy (again, damn you DLC) on MW3... Oh well!

• Deleted user 2 October 2012 15:59:35
    Argh. Having one of those frsutrating moments with the fat knight at the bottom of the tower. I can get him most of the way down, and then he just somehow gets me with a 'homing' attack. His not that hard, its just i can't beat him. fat bastard. I even played the long game of only hitting him one after he attacks and he still pulls out this attack which somehow manages to hit me and one kills me.
  • Elathron 2 Oct 2012 16:11:23 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @joelstinton - Backstabs all the way (or "Haveloadofthis" *groan*)... He's more brick than man :D

Edited by Elathron at 16:12:50 02-10-2012

• quadfather 2 Oct 2012 16:21:30 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, go for the backstabs on havel. I know the attack you mean - it's like you can't get away from him fast enough - keep circle strafing first continuously without even attacking to get the escape route sorted. You *can* evade all his attacks if you circle correctly.

The problem will be patience. You've only got to slip up once at early levels and he'll punish you.

Could always level up elsewhere for a bit and come back and kick his fucking head in with ease later on.

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 16:24:17 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Could always level up elsewhere for a bit and come back and kick his fucking head in with ease later on.
    It seems you have a few issues with the Rock... I admit, so did I on my first NG. He's a c*nt. A grey c*nt at that.

• Deleted user 2 October 2012 16:31:33
    Thanks. i been trying to hem him in against the wall, to give me space to jump back too and circle him that way. I then let him attack and then attack try to get round the back of him. im at work now. probably go back later and beat him first time. one of those things!
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 16:49:55 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, that often happens with DS. That's how I originally killed capra. The motherfucker.

I guess there's 3 ways with Havel

1) get him right in the middle of the room so you can constantly circle strafe him and backstab when you can
    2) opening the door from the bottom with the master key, go outside and he will tentatively follow you a little way outside then go back inside. Use this time to hit him
    3) come back and stove him in later

• Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 17:35:33 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hey! Havel may be abit of a d*ck, but hes got armour made from a frikin mountain, I mean thats seriously cool. Also he uses a freakin' tooth for a weapon! Hes such a badass!

Edited by Architect_z at 17:36:01 02-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Oct 2012 18:47:02 6,446 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're feeling in need of variety fellas weapons-wise, I can really recommend trying the Scythe. Of all the long polearm weapons I think it has the best move set including a couple of really nice wide circling sweeps. I've got both a lightning and chaos one ;)
    Nice for a bit of variety in pvp too- you can start with something shorter and pokey and then suddenly swap in the long reach scythe when they think they're 45 degrees from you and safe from the normal straight attacks. Adds a bit of variety anyway.
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 19:21:49 11,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - do you know I might try a scythe. Never tried one before but they look quite groovy

are all the attacks side swipes? I'm just thinking of narrow corridors?

• Red_Bool 2 Oct 2012 19:25:14 1,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The first time I opened Havels door and stepped through I nearly had a heart-attack! I stepped through and paused to see where I was when all of a sudden *BAM!* I think I actually jumped up from the couch :D

You really shouldn't play this game late at night when you're getting drowsy - also the sudden appearances of ghosts and images of other players really start to mess with your mind then :)
  • Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 19:48:05 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - Totally agree, my best characters primary weapon is the lifehunt scythe. Fully upgraded its a beast in both PvP and PvE.
  • woundedk 2 Oct 2012 21:14:15 42 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished my first playthrough of Dark Souls today. Amazing game, finished the asylum on NG+ before I was able to put the controller down :)

Played with a dexterity (and endurance) focused character using light armor and a spear. Silver knight spear +5 ended up being my weapon of choice ever since I got it. The extreme reach and solid damage worked really well. Did not try a single spell on my first run, maybe that might be something I should try next.
  • Page

of 1193 First / Last