Dark Souls Page 595

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 1 Oct 2012 19:33:28 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @matrim83 - Would be nice if there were some kind of sandbox environment to test out new builds but I think it's rather important to not be able to re-skill your char.

Take Diablo 3 where you can re-skill more or less any time you want. So there are now no builds in that game. If you have one barbarian char then you have all builds in one.
    So there is no need to ever skill another barbarian char ever again. It's all about finding better items.

Dark Souls is special because things matter. Death does matter, how you skill does matter (much more with the DLC) how you spend your rare slabs does matter (again the DLC should fix the damn glitches and restore meaning of items).

That's my take on it anyway :)
    Good hunting for NG+, btw. you'll level up very fast in NG+ and most stats don't show much improvement beyond 40 - so enough room for making a jack of all trades at Soul Level 200 or so.

Same goes for it's important to not have an easy mode in the game, see EpicNameBro's opinion
  • Radamel 1 Oct 2012 19:39:26 579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan Just pre-ordered the 360 version, even though I have no clue on whether the DLC comes on-disc or a voucher, which is the main point of buying this instead of the DLC itself.

Also, no word on whether or not the edition comes with all the goodies from the PC version.

Ó mar salgado, quanto do teu sal
    São lágrimas de Portugal!
    Por te cruzarmos, quantas mães choraram,
    Quantos filhos em vão rezaram!
    Quantas noivas ficaram por casar
    Para que fosses nosso, ó mar!

• Dangerous_Dan 1 Oct 2012 19:46:23 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Radamel I hope the DLC is already included with the disc. And from what I have gathered, it should.

I'm not a believer in the PSN or XboxLive or whatever. That's why I want to have certain games in full, physical, if reasonably priced.
  • matrim83 1 Oct 2012 20:13:19 5,586 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan I agree with the concept of "all decisions are final" while you are in the middle of a game, what I am talking about is a once per playthrough kind of a deal. Once you beat Gwyn, you get an option to respec. Never again until you beat Gwyn again and restart in NG++.

Anyways, thinking of starting a new playthrough with only a Bow character. I am pretty sure I will have to use a weapon for the bosses but will not pull out anything else anywhere else. Should be a fun experiment.

Valar morghulis.

• Tuffty 1 Oct 2012 22:17:04 1,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I keep fucking up in Dark Souls. Anytime I amass a large number of souls I end up dying, then die again before I can retrieve them. Case in point, the Valley of Drakes. Killed two of those lightning breathing dragons but then got cocky trying to get the 3 at the gate and dropped about 20000 souls. Trying to get it back, I killed one, then on the bridge he got me down to low health so I backed off, with shield up. Not realising that I got far enough for the lock on to break and I actually turned my back to it as it started breathing at me, meaning I lost all those souls. And for someone like me who has only been as far as Sen's Fortress, it's a lot :(

I know it's part of the game's appeal, and I've died many times over, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when it happens.
  • quadfather 1 Oct 2012 22:50:39 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    I keep fucking up in Dark Souls. Anytime I amass a large number of souls I end up dying, then die again before I can retrieve them. Case in point, the Valley of Drakes. Killed two of those lightning breathing dragons but then got cocky trying to get the 3 at the gate and dropped about 20000 souls. Trying to get it back, I killed one, then on the bridge he got me down to low health so I backed off, with shield up. Not realising that I got far enough for the lock on to break and I actually turned my back to it as it started breathing at me, meaning I lost all those souls. And for someone like me who has only been as far as Sen's Fortress, it's a lot :(

I know it's part of the game's appeal, and I've died many times over, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when it happens.
    I feel for you, but there's one bit above that is causing your pain -

but then got cocky

That's what's doing it :)

Edited by quadfather at 22:50:53 01-10-2012

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Tuffty 2 Oct 2012 08:42:55 1,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know. Just when I think I'm an all conquering badass, Dark Souls throws something at me just to say, NOPE! haha
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 08:48:59 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Though saying all that....

I fires up the pts edition last night. Level 3 pyro at firelink. No bb stuff, nothing. Using the 360 pad on the pc took a bit of general getting used to but bloody hell, Am I out of practice! Died in the burg so notched the cockiness down a bit. Ended up just resting at the burg fire repeatedly whilst getting used to it. Darent even take on Taurus at the mo, never mind havel!

Oh dear, big grind ahead :)

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 11:44:03 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Something we all experience when we play vanilla characters, cockyness kills! :p Although, being at that point and knowing where everything is, makes the whole experience a little less painful. Grass Crest Shield and Elite Knight Armour so close to the Burg starting point, as well as a whole load of other goodies. And you don't even have to kill Havel (that's if you don't mind murdering Ingward) if you haven't got the master key.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 12:02:03 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ok so started a magic class dude. Does anyone know which spells are best to use?
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 12:06:43 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - definitely :-) I'd just come back from the pub and thought, "I'll just razz through the burg..." hehe

It's almost as if the game is alive and knows I'm trying to blag it. I swear that the first few runs, the goons were doing slow attacks and as soon as I was getting a bit cocky re-practicing ripostes and backstabs, the game just kicked my arse and made the goons do that aggressive multi swing attack and attack in groups of 3!

That's the other thing - I can't remember where everything is :-) I've got the master key, purely for convenience. Maybe I should go get astora's sword.

can't remember grass crest or elite knight location either. Isn't the armour in the forest by the stone knights? Christ, I can't remember :)

I was going to do the beginners route and stay in the parish for a bit to get a balder side sword to start with.

Just swapped out stuff for a rapier which feels more comfortable

• Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 12:30:30 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather Elite Knight armour is by the stone dudes in the darkroot, and so is the eastern armour, iirc. I can't remember where the Stone set is? Astoras sword is a good early weapon for if you have a decent faith stat, if not, longsword is pretty sweet still.
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 12:42:49 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Architect_z - it's all coming back now :-) Cheers! The rapier might do me for a bit. Especially if I can get to Andre. I basically need to get back in the swing of things and start collecting stuff again.

Yes to eastern armour and elite. Can't remember stone either. what's in that chest behind Alvina in the forest? Is it in there? I remember there's *something* heavy in there, but can't remember

As a pyro, my faith is 8 and I've already pumped dex a little as I think this char will be dexy/rapiery with some magic on the side I reckon

Just need that bloody balder side sword to drop

And to obviously get to the parish :-)

I've been spoiled by bb characters :(

Edited by quadfather at 12:43:48 02-10-2012

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 12:49:14 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Architect_z - Spells? Errr. Well.... I wouldn't advise any of the arrows - they're pretty pants on anything other than NG. Soul Spear, Crystal Soul Spear, Homing Crystal Soulmass, Crystal Magic Weapon, Chameleon, Fall Control, Strong Magic Shield. These are the most useful spells - and the ones that I constantly use even into the depths of NGmanylots+
    I made a warrior mage with mid dex, high vit/int and end, the mean for the build was at about 127 but I've since decided to start using the sould for more levelling. Ended up kitting him out in heavy armour and using a rapier/shield for the parries. The Dusk Crown and the Tin Crystalization Catalyst were for the magic buff, DWGR for the flippy goodness (although this will change when the DLC hits). I would also keep pyromancy handy, it pays to be prepared for all eventualities. If you use this build then the weapon of choice at 120ish would be either a rapier of some sort and the Moonlight Greatsword as your 2H backup.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 2 Oct 2012 12:50:47 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Feck, I just read this on the ds wiki - *big spoiler alert*

- Cleansing Greatshield 80/80/80/70 77 300 14.5 31/0/0/0

D/-/-/- Sif leaves this behind when you free him in the Chasm of the Abyss N/A

Free him?!

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 12:51:39 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Stone is in the chest near alivina. The Partizan is in one of the Alcoves in the Stone night area, in front of one of those 2 headed tree hugging lizards. Pick up some humanity in the Burg then try to get the side sword to drop - 10/15 should increase your odds a lot. Oh, and the Crest Shield is near the Black Knight in Darkroot basin, near to a bonfire.

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 12:52:44 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather - Yeah I read that. Sif isn't exactly evil... Which is why it's a shame you have to kill him to progress :(

• matrim83 2 Oct 2012 13:01:13 5,586 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^^VERY slightly spoilerific but if you havent played the new DLC yet then I would highly recommend you do the DLC area before you fight Sif as a boss in Darkroot garden.

Valar morghulis.

• Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 13:02:40 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Elathron - Nice one, never used magic, sounds like you've got a nice little character going on. I can't wait to use chameleon spell.
    I have a couple of questions;

1: When using Velkas talisman to cast miracles, do you still need the right faith stat to use the miracle, or will my intellegence stat allow you to use a miracle that needs say 40 points in faith? (if that makes sense)

2: Do you know where the embers are to create magic/enchanted weapons?
  • Architect_z 2 Oct 2012 13:04:53 2,302 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather - I'm desperate for a Baldur side sword to drop. I'm trying to farm the dudes in the undead chruch, but they keep dropping pieces of their armour, titanite shards or rapiers. Do any of the guys in their actually drop the Baldur sword?
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 13:09:39 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    @quadfather - I'm desperate for a Baldur side sword to drop. I'm trying to farm the dudes in the undead chruch, but they keep dropping pieces of their armour, titanite shards or rapiers. Do any of the guys in their actually drop the Baldur sword?
    Yes, but it's a rare drop. It's also a rare drop from the ones in sens, which is why I always just do the parish as there's more of them. Though the bonfire is nearer the knights in sens, so take your pick really.

It should be labelled, "Extremely Fucking Rare As Fucking Bastardness" to be honest.

I'm going to just stick some music on, get 10 humanity and just get into a trance and do 23597 runs and get one hopefully.

• quadfather 2 Oct 2012 13:10:28 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @quadfather - Yeah I read that. Sif isn't exactly evil... Which is why it's a shame you have to kill him to progress :(
    That's so sad :(

@Matrim83 - yes, makes good sense

• quadfather 2 Oct 2012 13:12:18 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @quadfather - Stone is in the chest near alivina. The Partizan is in one of the Alcoves in the Stone night area, in front of one of those 2 headed tree hugging lizards. Pick up some humanity in the Burg then try to get the side sword to drop - 10/15 should increase your odds a lot. Oh, and the Crest Shield is near the Black Knight in Darkroot basin, near to a bonfire.
    Yupo, remember that now. Might as well get the wolf ring while I'm picking that lot up

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 13:17:01 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Only the knights with the shield drop the sword. The Baldur Shield is also pretty fecking awesome at low levels (if you progress through the traditional "story" route). The Duellist Knights will drop rapiers - funny you guys are looking for them, I can't stop them dropping!!!
    Velka's Talisman requires that you have the faith to use the miracles. It's pretty rubbish actually; at 99 int and 54 faith it had a lower magic adjust than the canvas talisman etc.
    The Embers for magic are simple to come by. The Enchanted Ember is in Darkroot Garden - next to the 2 big mushrooms in a pond. The Normal Magic Ember is errrrrrrrr, somewhere... Damn not having full internets at work. The Large Magic Ember is in Dukes (after defeating Logan/buggering up his questline) where you first met Seath.

Edited by Elathron at 13:18:26 02-10-2012

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 13:21:28 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Might as well get the wolf ring while I'm picking that lot up
    Yup, forgot about that! Although, only really any good for low levels :( Don't you wish you could wear a ring on EVERY finger. 'twould make sense too!

• teamHAM 2 Oct 2012 13:22:44 2,406 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do we know how much the DLC will cost yet? I'm guessing 1200MSP ish?

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• Elathron 2 Oct 2012 13:26:22 1,189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @teamHAM - There was a post about it, I think that's right - although with MS's new pricing policy - it might be 1600.

• Deleted user 2 October 2012 13:28:00
    i just picked up the wolf ring. need to read up on poise. Sigh. :) Starting to pick up a lot of heavy duty weaponary, but its too heavy, Though i did get a nice shield upon returning to the northen asylum to pick up the rusty iron ring, which i upgraded a couple of times. Off too the hydra now i think.
  • quadfather 2 Oct 2012 13:40:08 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    i just picked up the wolf ring. need to read up on poise. Sigh. :) Starting to pick up a lot of heavy duty weaponary, but its too heavy, Though i did get a nice shield upon returning to the northen asylum to pick up the rusty iron ring, which i upgraded a couple of times. Off too the hydra now i think.
    iirc (and that's going to be highly unlikely, since I get killed in the burg repeatedly and can't remember where everything is!), I think a poise score of 53 is the one to aim for to avoid being staggered.

However, I don't know whether this takes into account the new stuff in dlc.

• Dangerous_Dan 2 Oct 2012 13:41:08 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @joelstinton If an enemy hits you it usually staggers you unless you wear heavy armour (which adds poise).
    So poise makes it more difficult for an enemy to stun you.
    53 poise is required to not get stunned by a two-handed claymore class sword.

What Sir quad said!

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 13:41:50 02-10-2012
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last