Dark Souls Page 594

• Page

of 1210 First / Last

• StixxUK 29 Sep 2012 13:18:25 7,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So what's the deal with being hollow or human? I seem to get more drops when human but other than that cant really tell the difference.

Also I'm not sure how but my humanity seems to slowly increase over the course of normal play. What's going on here?
  • BeheretiK 29 Sep 2012 13:59:44 883 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You don't need to be human to do most things but there are a few things that you need it for, most notably interaction with other players whether that be PVP or co-op. You will also need to go human from time to time to do things like kindle a bonfire. There are also NPC's that you can summon for boss fights if you are in human form.

That is different from humanity which is a resource you carry with you. Any humanity you have on you is regardless if you are human or hollow. The number you see top left is soft humanity and counts towards things like item discovery and damage for certain weapons. Soft humanity is different from the ones in your inventory because if you die twice without being able to get to your bloodstain, you will lose them.

I'm sure there is more but I believe that is the basics anyway!

Edited by BeheretiK at 14:00:59 29-09-2012

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• puddleduck 29 Sep 2012 16:40:53 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @StixxUK

Also it increases over time in an area where you haven't yet killed the boss. As you kill the standard enemies you'll slowly gain some soft humanity.

Edited by puddleduck at 16:41:12 29-09-2012
  • TOOTR 29 Sep 2012 18:22:49 9,599 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Haha! I've never seen that before. Love the reaction.

And the green tights.
    Me neither! Tarkus is awesome :D

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Puppaz 29 Sep 2012 22:49:38 328 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahhh dark souls. The bitch of a game that made me google "ceaseless discharge"
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Sep 2012 23:06:59 7,200 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BeheretiK Fire and Chaos feel very similar in practice. I've used both and just about prefer Chaos overall. This might be a question of perception though- I feel the chaos weapons have great base damage and like that I can boost it even further by popping a few humanities for a noticeable rise in damage as I go into a tougher area. It might just be simpler to go for fire and not have to think about it though. I'd just pick one and aim to make the other in subsequent playthroughs perhaps.
  • BeheretiK 30 Sep 2012 10:47:43 883 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks mcmothercruncher! As it happens that is the way I went with pretty much the thinking that you have confirmed for me there. I like the move set and speed of the katana so to be honest whether it was fire or chaos would ultimately make little difference in that regard. Definitely will do a chaos weapon in the another playthrough though.

• matrim83 30 Sep 2012 11:12:05 5,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ugh ran into my first cheater on the PC today. Guy had like 6000 health or something. My hits with 200+ damage did almost nothing. And he one shotted me with the dark orb twice. Full health, VIT 40, 80% magic block shield and he still one shotted me.

Still not bad considering I have put in about 100 hours on the PC version. And this was the first time I ran across a cheater. I submitted a bad review so hopefully wont be matched up to him again.

Valar morghulis.

• StixxUK 30 Sep 2012 17:10:56 7,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just had a good session, levelled up a few times so that I had enough strength to wield the Drake Sword properly, pratted around for a bit, killed a Dark Knight, nailed the backstab technique which has really helped me out (rapier + backstab = pain for the enemy) and started playing with ranged weapons.

Yet to find much use for magic, but I still only have the starting pyro spell. Not even thought about miracles yet. I'm also wondering if I should switch up my armour - I'm just wearing the pyro starting robes but since I've ended up doing a lot of hand-to-hand combat I might change it. I do like the speed of movement which my knight character certainly didn't have with all his armour, so wouldn't want to sacrifice that!
  • StixxUK 30 Sep 2012 17:24:16 7,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The intro is awesome too, like a darker Lord of the Rings. The world is so intriguing and enigmatic.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 17:47:43
    I loved the ranged weapons in this. They make you feel awesome without overally making the game easy. I havn't really touched the magic either. I got the pyro spell and brought healing, but havn't touched either. I have had too have a couple days of not playing it (At parents), but when i get back i'm start going over some things i have yet to fully try out.

Mainly magic. And need to research upgrading. I gave the blacksmith an ember, but yet to see anything come out of it. I brought a armour peice, worth 15k souls, but it made my character really heavy and sluggish, so gone back to chain mail with +3 (YES!starting to sound more RPG savvy now :) ). I also got a Black Knight Halbred as well which i havn't used. I'm not sure if my character is high enough to use it properly. I have to check that out when i get back.

Glad you are enjoying it Stixx!
  • puddleduck 30 Sep 2012 19:02:36 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @joelstinton

Those embers allow you to ascend a weapon to further upgrade potential. So a normal weapon will upgrade to +5 then you'll need a large ember to to +6to+10. Or a divine ember to go to Divine + 1 (embuing it with faith scaling magic). Or an elemental ember etc...

Nothing wrong with chain mail upgrade either. Really good weight to protection. Lacks a bit in poise, but it is a very good piece of armour to upgrade :)
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 20:11:56
    @puddleduck

Thanks :) . i notiice the option to ascend weapons. Pretty sure its greyed out . Will check tomorrow. I had recently used some shards and spent all my souls. Perhaps thats the reason why. I know to improve the drake sword i need a dragon scale.

One thing i do miss about buying games new is the community aspect of posting on here. But i guess with games like this, threads stay active all the time. Perhaps in the next one i will buy it day one and take the journey with everyone.

When playing this, i been thinking that it be cool to Journey/Lord of the rings it up, so your destination gets bigger, harder, extreme as you closer to it. But i guess why Dark souls suceeds is that you are able to travel the area as you wish. The sense of place is amazing in this game. Everything is there for a reason. Even Merchants feel like real shops and are an answer for something you need to do.

Edited by joelstinton at 20:13:38 30-09-2012
  • Lotos8ter 30 Sep 2012 20:50:31 2,361 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @joelstinton - the community for this on here have been awesome and there's been a few of us who've got on and off the train at various points. I threw my toys out of the pram with one boss but came back eventually when I was ready and tried something new. I can't think of any game where the thread has stayed so active for so long as new players try it out.
    Just a quick bit of advice - don't rely on the Drake Sword - it owns at low levels but quickly becomes outclassed. Start to have a think about strength or dexterity weapons, try them out and start to upgrade the weapons that suit your playstyle. The BK Halberd is very powerful but needs high stats so its an end game weapon at best, if at all.

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 1 Oct 2012 08:43:27 12,857 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aye this thread is still active alright. I've completed it with a couple of characters now on the ps3, and I've only just recently bought the ptd edition. So here we go again! Level 1 pyro at firelink, ready to go! Can't wait to play it all again

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• BeheretiK 1 Oct 2012 08:57:33 883 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, first playthrough done for me. Great, great game - absolutely loved my time spent on it so far. Could not play much yesterday so have not proceeded much into NG+ yet but I definitely intend to. Oh, and I want to start another char, probably full on magic wielder.

I definitely need to work on my parry/riposte and backstab skills though - I have gotten by so far without them but I imagine in NG+ these heavy damage dealers could become quite important!

• Red_Bool 1 Oct 2012 09:41:27 1,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sif is really giving me a headache (or maybe I've been playing for too long / too late). I think I know what to do (avoid the sword swipes, get underneath him) - and according to the wiki I'm on the right track - but I just can't seem to survive longer than 1 - 10 seconds :(

It really feels like defeat when you have to resort to a wiki to check your strategy...
  • Dangerous_Dan 1 Oct 2012 09:47:55 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Red_Bool You could try to upgrade your shield if possible, that way you can block his attacks without losing that much stamina.
  • Red_Bool 1 Oct 2012 11:07:09 1,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - Thanks, I'm going to try that! First will have to do a couple of rounds round the forest and then get back to Andrey for some Titanite shards :)
  • matrim83 1 Oct 2012 11:32:32 5,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah a 100% physical block with a high stability will do help a fair bit for that fight. And make it also helps if you put on a light armor for the fast roll.

But dodging and learning his patterns is probably more useful. Cause there are still times when he will do a double sweep attack which will wreck your stamina (and a chunk of your health) no matter how good your shield is. Some of his attacks you dont want to block.

Edited by matrim83 at 11:33:01 01-10-2012

Valar morghulis.

• Dangerous_Dan 1 Oct 2012 11:46:24 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sure thing, learning the patterns is the stony but more satisfying path in Dark Souls. But a good shield will keep you alive long enough to learn the patterns more easily.

It's all a Ng+ game anyway. Put on Havel's armour, put your stat points into vitality and endurance, get an elemental weapon and hand the controller to your dog to make it through NG ;)

Over the top, I know but this game can be way too easy in NG if you go with the tank build.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 11:46:58 01-10-2012
  • Red_Bool 1 Oct 2012 12:00:52 1,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Learning the patterns is indeed the way I have found. With all the 'regular' enemies so far, once you know the pattern they become a lot easier to dispose of (still not easy, but at least you know when to expect what). It's just that with Sif I just didn't get a proper chance to see any pattern :) The shield upgrade will hopefully help with that.
  • quadfather 1 Oct 2012 12:06:56 12,857 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Seems that some people have more/less grief with certain bosses than others. I have massive problems with Sif, but I can (normally) do annoying ones like bed of chaos first time round.

4 kings on ng+ solo excluded of course. The twats :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• PenguinJim 1 Oct 2012 12:14:22 5,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently working my way through playthroughs of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (PC), Bayonetta & FFXIII-2 (360).

My Prepare To Die box arrived today and I think those other games can fuck off for a few weeks while I play through to NG+.... again. :p

I love you, Dark Souls!
  • Architect_z 1 Oct 2012 12:26:22 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Red_Bool - I defeated him last night, and he is abit of a nightmare, (especially for a strength class like me). Hes really agile, and his attacks are dead powerful. But heres some hints......

1) Avoid his double swing, it takes off huge amounts of stamina, 2) Don't chase him too often, you lose too much stamina. 3) I found using the big grave in the middle of the arena can help if you need to get close. 4) aim for his front-right leg, if you damage it enough, it helps slow him down abit.
  • Red_Bool 1 Oct 2012 15:47:35 1,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Architect_z - Thanks for those hints (although the first one I had noticed myself already ;)). If I get the opportunity tonight I will:
    a) upgrade my best shield as far as it can go
    b) swap my eastern set for my regular wanderer robes for extra mobility (and possible upgrade those as well)
    c) get my ass kicked anyhow :)

Sounds like a plan!
  • Dangerous_Dan 1 Oct 2012 15:57:06 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quite some bargain for people who want to not download the DLC but get the physical copy on console:

PS3-version on amazon

360-version on amazon
  • Architect_z 1 Oct 2012 17:53:09 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Red_Bool - Good luck homie. I don't think dogs like lightning very much by the way.....just saying. ;)
  • matrim83 1 Oct 2012 18:43:56 5,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does anyone else think that letting you re-spec your character (if you want) when you start NG+ would be a good idea?

I wanna try new builds but taking them through the dull easy part of NG isnt much fun.

Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    It's all a Ng+ game anyway. Put on Havel's armour, put your stat points into vitality and endurance, get an elemental weapon and hand the controller to your dog to make it through NG ;)
    Sounds about right for my first playthrough. :lol:

Valar morghulis.

• Architect_z 1 Oct 2012 19:08:52 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll do a NG anytime, I love being overpowered and killing stuff really easily. ^_^

Gonna start a magic character soon, not used magic before, wonder if its any good?
  • Page

of 1210 First / Last