Registered 7 years ago
    SL 87 btw

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 24 Sep 2012 10:29:42 13,743 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Finally got round to ordering this. I never finished DS, but the servers are now offline ? So i opted for this instead :)/ Not looking forward to this :) but am :)
    I found the Demon's Souls servers were BOBBINSED when I played (got it on first US release), so ended up offline for the majority anyway!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• MrWonderstuff 24 Sep 2012 10:39:35 1,969 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jesus, being cursed is a right royal pain the arse.
  • quadfather 24 Sep 2012 10:42:03 13,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff - whereabouts did you get cursed? Depths, or at Seath?

If Depths, your best bet is to get some purging stones from the belltower bloke. If it's Seath, try farming the clam monsters as they sometimes drop them.

Depending on how far through the depths you are, it might actually be easier to just carry on. If you carry on and get the shortcut door open, it'll be far easier to get out, and then you can come back later on and quickly get to the depths' boss.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• MrWonderstuff 24 Sep 2012 10:47:55 1,969 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers Quad, was in the depths...second time this has happened so have made my way back to the Firelink Shrine then onward to the belltower...just need to farm the 3000 souls (actually I will need more if I am going to get more purging stones).
  • senso-ji 24 Sep 2012 11:18:27 6,042 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

With the new content, SL 120 might get left behind. The arena mode allows levels 1-50, 51-100, 101-200 and 200+. I'd imagine this will have an effect on invasions/summons levels in the main game.
  • matrim83 24 Sep 2012 11:35:32 5,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Holy crap. I just found out you can parry arrows. Even the giant ones shot by Anor Londo knights. It even negates the kickback effect. O.o

Mind. Blown.

Valar morghulis.

• L_Franko Moderator 24 Sep 2012 11:40:43 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is rather awesome!
    Think I'd still rather hide behind a wall and fire poison arrows at the Knights though.
  • matrim83 24 Sep 2012 11:56:45 5,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LOL yeah its not really practical since dodging is still far easier and safer but its amazing that it can be done anyway. Infact you can parry pretty much everything. O.o

Check this out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0

Valar morghulis.

• L_Franko Moderator 24 Sep 2012 12:00:32 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched that video last week becuase epicnamebro linked it to one of his videos.
    It is well worth a watch, that guy has got some serious parry skills going on.
  • Architect_z 24 Sep 2012 12:03:56 2,412 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the move set for zweihander? That sword in the graveyard, the massive one? any good? Thinking of starting a strength character but I fancy using a big sword early on. Is that my best option or is there a better strength weapon?

Edited by Architect_z at 12:09:44 24-09-2012
  • quadfather 24 Sep 2012 12:34:18 13,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MrWonderstuff - it's always handy to have a couple of those stones in your inventory, just in case :)

(there's other areas later that it can happen, and believe me, you'll be relieved if you have one on you if it happens!)

• mothercruncher 24 Sep 2012 13:42:29 7,819 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks ji, I think those strata will have to influence the main game, makes sense. I'll take my faith character to 199 and park my first one at 99 then :)
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 14:17:09
    Just completed the Depths and got the key to Blightown.

Should I carry on that way or is there somewhere else I should go? At level 37 I feel a bit underpowered for Blightown fromt the little I saw last night?

Also if people invade my world is there any way I can get rid of them without fighting?
    They all seem stronger than me - last night a wizard who looked like Orco(?) from He-Man poisoned me then set me on fire!
  • quadfather 24 Sep 2012 14:54:28 13,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Alipan - blighttown is the next logical place to go. But there's no set in stone reason why you have to go there straight away.

have you done darkwood basin and darkwood forest in general? Done the butterfly etc?

37 should be ok for blighttown. The main problem with blighttown is the level design (fall to your death often), enemies (toxic mofo's) and the floor when you finally get to the bottom (slows you down and poisons you)

So the best approach (imo), is

wear some poison and toxic resistance gear (there's actually a fairly decent set not that far in, if you search carefully, take your time and go in the "front door" of blighttown - i.e., from the depths)

Take the spider shield with you from the depths and keep it up at all times till you've killed the blowdart mofo's

Take the ring that lets you move freely in the swamp (you don't have to worry about the poison damage in the swamp as it's not that damaging if you're already wearing enough poison and toxic resistant gear - just keep an eye on your health as it ticks away)

The main key for success in blighttown is to *take it easy*

Re the PVP encounters, I'm no expert, so I'll expect to be corrected - but basically, if you're in hollow form you can't get invaded. You also can't get invaded in human form if you're playing offline, but then you miss the rest of the online components.

It also depends on how you play - if you murder every npc in sight and have loads of sin, you'll be on an online list that other people will be able to see (depending on their covenant) and inevitably hunt you down. You can also summon allies (with more success depending on your covenant) to help out if you're being griefed.

I normally play human and online, but if I get too many people invaded and killing me, I'll either go offline or stay hollow till I've done whatever it is i'm focussing on

Edited by quadfather at 14:58:03 24-09-2012

• Deleted user 24 September 2012 15:04:50
    Thanks for the reply. I had a quick glance at the spoilers but didnt want to look too closely.

Ive done the butterfly and Ive been to the basin - turned back at the Valley of the Drakes. There was also a bit with great blobs of ice flying at me which I backed off from and havent really explored - is that still the basin? If so perhaps I need to go back there.

I also havent been far into that cave where the skeletons keep respawning - assume I need some better gear for that.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 15:07:31
    Reading back my last post reminds me of a song...

'When danger raised its ugly head he turned around and bravely fled'
  • L_Franko Moderator 24 Sep 2012 15:15:23 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Alipan
    If I'm thinking of the right area that ice you talked about is water and it comes from a Hydra. That is indeed still the Basin.
    Are there any other enemies about in this area?
  • quadfather 24 Sep 2012 15:17:31 13,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Alipan - "Bravely Bold Sir Robin" :-)

Right, couple of things here that will save your bacon.

1) That spoiler list isn't really a spoiler list to be honest - it doesn't give much away - it's more of a prep guide before you go

2) Yes, the water cannon (it does look like ice until you see where it's coming from) is in Darkwood basin - it's a bit of a random place really - some tricky monsters in there, but a lot of xp and some nice items to counter the pain. Once you've got used to the layout, you'll notice how the levels interlink with each other. I say levels, but probably 'areas' is a better description

3) I wouldn't go anywhere near the skeletons at the start - save that for a lot later - it's not for you right now, trust me :)

• quadfather 24 Sep 2012 15:17:52 13,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko - Yes :-)

• Deleted user 24 September 2012 15:18:12
    Yes some shape shifting ice type creatures that hit hard but quite easy to kill. If you get to close to them you get in range of the ice / water pelting.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 15:23:11
    Thanks both - got a plan for tonight now.

Bit more of the basin then Blightown. Good stuff.

Great game. So many questions but trying to resist asking too much as there is a lot of fun in discovering for yourself. Very retro game in the sense that it refuses to hold your hand and makes you work stuff out for yourself.
  • L_Franko Moderator 24 Sep 2012 15:24:11 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hug the left wall when in that area and you want to go see where the projectiles are coming from, Alipan.

Edit: Not really a spoiler but more a tiny bit of advice.

Edited by L_Franko at 15:25:23 24-09-2012
  • quadfather 24 Sep 2012 15:26:02 13,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Alipan - yeah, it's a cracking game that gives loads back, given the investment.

Can't wait to setup my PC and try out the prepare to die edition soon too.

New areas! New Monsters! Prepare to Die! Again!

• L_Franko Moderator 24 Sep 2012 15:35:08 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I might have spoiled a bit of the new content as I've glanced at a playthrough of the different areas, on the plus side it has made me look forward to it a little more and I've not seen everything it has to offer.
  • quadfather 24 Sep 2012 15:38:18 13,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've only heard from roughly whereabouts it happens, in a cryptic way, so really looking forward to it.

The tension going into a completely new place will be unbearable again :)

Can't wait!

• Red_Bool 24 Sep 2012 15:55:36 1,177 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Alipan - I also went to the Darkroot Garden / Basin this weekend (lvl 40) after getting the key to Blighttown. One small word of advice for the source of the waterblasts: it may look daunting but it's actually pretty straight forward once you know how to avoid the blasts to get to it And one other thing: when you're standing in the water near it, make sure you notice where the bottom of the lake becomes darker - and keep some distance :)

Tonight I'll be plodding onwards back up to Darkroot Garden those treehuggers (the trees that hug you) got a lot tougher this time around - I was unpleasantly surprised to find out :)
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 16:07:26
    @Red_Bool Sounds like you are at a similar stage to me - probably slightly further advanced.

Your post reminded me though. I havent opened that door at the end of the Darkroot Garden - I think you have to buy the key from the blacksmith but it costs 20,000. There is always something else to spend it on!
  • Red_Bool 24 Sep 2012 16:20:20 1,177 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Alipan - yep, 1 tiny small step ahead of you :) (your ordeals sounded very familiar)
    I don't think I even saw that door btw... but I have a feeling I'm approaching it from the other side right now...
  • Deleted user 25 September 2012 12:47:10
    Did the basin last night as suggested on here. Now working my way through Blightown. Im finding that level quite unpleasant - all platforms and poison.

Two things:
    1) Im looking forward to the day I can give that armoured guy at the bottom of the watchtower a good kicking. Even at level 40 he can still kill me with a single blow.

2) Need a new helmet. Been wearing the large 'pig head helmet' for ages now and it looks ridiculous. When oh when will I find something with better stats....
  • Page

of 1218 First / Last