Dark Souls Page 563

• Page

of 1196 First / Last

• puddleduck 4 Sep 2012 13:09:54 1,853 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty sure your first playthrough you attacked nearly all the merchants accidentally :p
  • Buztafen 4 Sep 2012 13:14:26 16,078 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I'm a good guy really!
    That's exactly what an evil bastard would say!! ;)
  • Pinky_Floyd 4 Sep 2012 13:20:46 7,482 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I have finished talking to a merchant I always turn around then walk a bit away before I start fiddling with my inventory. Just in case that itchy trigger finger starts to tingle :)
  • Bauul 4 Sep 2012 13:30:28 119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The only NPC I got genuinely close to attacking by accident was the infested dude outside the entrance to the Pale Lady. The only reason he's still alive is because I'm a shite shot with Fireballs!

Random question: Can you be summoned across NG levels? I.e. as a new character, can I be summoned into someone else's NG+ or NG++ etc.?

I always presumed no, but the other day my SL18 brand new character was summoned to help a full Havel wielding guy (including the Dragon Tooth) beat the Taurus demon. Unless I'm missing something, the only way he could be in that situation was by starting an (at least) NG+?
  • puddleduck 4 Sep 2012 13:34:48 1,853 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Bauul

Not necessarily. He could have skipped the Taurus Demon by using a different route. Although you can be summoned across NG levels I think. You'll know because you'll get more souls for each kill.
  • Bauul 4 Sep 2012 13:44:27 119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @puddleduck That makes sense.

Is it possible to pick up Havel's armour (in Anor Londo) before you face the Taurus demon? Hmm, actually yes I think it is possible, as you can use the Valley of the Drakes as a back-door into both Blighttown and Darkroot Basin, from which you can backtrack through Darkroot Garden to the Undead Parish.

Hell of a detour though! :)

Edited by Bauul at 13:58:15 04-09-2012
  • Buztafen 4 Sep 2012 13:51:52 16,078 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its still governed by Soul Level though isnt it. So im guessing that guy must've used the the Bottomless Box glitch to get Havels gear from another character at the beginning of a play through and is actually a rather low SL.
  • Bauul 4 Sep 2012 14:03:18 119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Buztafen Ah that's true - but does the BB glitch overcome equipment stat requirements? I only ask because the Dragon's Tooth requires 40 strength to use.

Edited by Bauul at 14:03:28 04-09-2012
  • Buztafen 4 Sep 2012 14:32:59 16,078 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah that's true. Was he using the Dragon's Tooth dual-handed? Think it needs less strength to wield that way. Could be doable with a starting class with high strength?

Edited by Buztafen at 14:54:32 04-09-2012
  • senso-ji 4 Sep 2012 14:36:56 5,801 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If he was dual handing the Dragon Tooth then he would have only needed strength 27. With a starting class of Bandit, he would have been under SL20 with the BB glitch.
  • PenguinJim 4 Sep 2012 14:49:30 5,768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bauul wrote:
    The only NPC I got genuinely close to attacking by accident was the infested dude outside the entrance to the Pale Lady. The only reason he's still alive is because I'm a shite shot with Fireballs!
    Heh, snap! But unfortunately, my fireball aim was true. :(
  • Elathron 4 Sep 2012 14:58:33 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bauul

Can you be summoned across NG levels? I.e. as a new character, can I be summoned into someone else's NG+ or NG++ etc.?
    Yes you can; my main is on NG++, my buddy is on NG+++++++ and I can get summoned to his world and vice versa. It's a gamble because there're some people on NG++ and beyond with very low level characters.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• JonFE 4 Sep 2012 15:23:33 1,438 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @Bauul

Can you be summoned across NG levels? I.e. as a new character, can I be summoned into someone else's NG+ or NG++ etc.?
    Yes you can; my main is on NG++, my buddy is on NG+++++++ and I can get summoned to his world and vice versa. It's a gamble because there're some people on NG++ and beyond with very low level characters.
    If so, can I summon you to my NG+ game (main character soul level 133) to help me get rid of O&S? I'm sick and tired of those b******s :evil:
  • Elathron 4 Sep 2012 15:48:18 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JonFE - Hahah - I'd love the opportunity, took them out on NG++ first time with only Solaire for help :cool:
    My main is a bit high for you (now SL342 after last night's Thunderdome antics) abut I can make another 120/130 specifically designed to fight them if you want?

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• JonFE 4 Sep 2012 16:17:49 1,438 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Elathron

I'd love the opportunity, but don't you have vacation coming up? Enjoy your well-deserved rest, and upon your return, if I haven't managed them yet (most probable), I'll take you up on that!!!

Edited by JonFE at 16:21:00 04-09-2012
  • Elathron 4 Sep 2012 16:23:30 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JonFE - It is coming up, next week in fact... Hopefully the fires haven't destryed too much of the landscape I was hoping to enjoy! I'm on lates all week so I'll be on from 11pm UK time - other than that I might be able to help you out one morning?

Edited by Elathron at 16:24:31 04-09-2012

• FuzzyDuck 4 Sep 2012 16:31:01 3,934 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okay folks, i'm tempted to try and get myself summoned to score some coloured and regular Titanite slabs. Can i even do this?

I love that i'm SL130, 140 hours into it and near the end of NG+, but there's still stuff i haven't tried :D
  • JonFE 4 Sep 2012 17:00:49 1,438 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Elathron

Unfortunately I work in the mornings - don't worry about it, I'll figure it out.

I'll post my stats once I get home later today, so you may have a suggestion or two to improve my chances, alright?!?
  • Bauul 4 Sep 2012 17:46:09 119 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd like you guys' opinion on a bit of a run-in I had with an invader in the Undead Burg a bit ago that's been playing on my mind somewhat.

I'd just started a NG+, and was hanging around the Undead Burg with my summon sign down hoping for a bit of jolly co-op action. I'd also done a bit of PvPing in the area using the red soap stone, but gave up as my build just isn't any good for it.

As I was waiting, someone invaded my game, and spawned directly in front of me. Not wanting to die and lose my only bit of humanity, I seized the opportunity and attempted to back-stab him before he could commence his attack. In fact, I managed to roll straight off the bridge instead and kill myself like a total fool.

However, he then messages me accusing me of ganking him, acting unfairly and basically being a little shit.

I know Dark Souls PVP has all the etiquette rules, but surely they don't apply here? I wasn't there to PvP, I was there to play co-op and he invaded with the sole objective of messing that up. Surely I was totally at my right to attempt to defend myself to the best of my ability?
  • captainlk 4 Sep 2012 18:03:53 33 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I know Dark Souls PVP has all the etiquette rules, but surely they don't apply here? I wasn't there to PvP, I was there to play co-op and he invaded with the sole objective of messing that up. Surely I was totally at my right to attempt to defend myself to the best of my ability?
    What's his problem if you were on your own and killed yourself? Isn't that good for him?

Anyway, I'm not an experienced PvP, but I think if someone invades your game when you're not looking to PvP then anything goes. Especially as in my case they always seem to have weapons and armour from another planet while I'm there trembling in what's basically my starting gear.
  • Pinky_Floyd 4 Sep 2012 18:14:13 7,482 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I'm puzzled by the pvp too.  I'm happily adventuring away and someone invades who is a pvp and gear expert, well I don't feel very much like bowing and then running on to his sword.

Last night I almost killed myself before the phantom reached me so they wouldbt get the satisfaction of killing me.

I mean, invaders seem to be pretty well specced and its obvious they are set up for and want to pvp but at this point in the game all I want to do is adventure to be honest lol.
  • Elathron 4 Sep 2012 18:46:57 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmmm.... In answer to the PvP stuff, I can't really comment on individual cases. If I invade someone's world and they don't want to fight (it's easy to tell), I'll generally give them a few items & then separate myself from their world. If you're in a low traffic area and you're being invaded (like ToG or the catacombs for example), then there's a high change that the person will not care for bowing anyway. In areas with high PvP exchanges you'll likely some up against players who won't bow either but they're few and far between.
    I find that simply messaging an invader after bowing usually lets them know if you'll be a challenge or an easy kill. I reckon 75% will take pity and offer some help before they leave. Also, you have to wait a few seconds before you can attack an invader - it's impossible to hit them while they're spawning in your world. The best thing is to back off so that it doesn't look like you're trying to gank. The other 25% who attack regardless are usually hacking or they're morons (I can safely say that most are hackers though) - they spoil the community element of this game somewhat.
    Lastly, on the subject of invading - unless you've commited a sin, you can only be invaded by people who're on the same or lower SL than you. I find it hilarious when someone invades as a noob to my main; mostly I shrug while even their BS's only do 100 or so damage. Many of them realise how the fight will go if I start swinging so they go their merry ways, but some persist and get whacked for 6 (I say 6, my highest damage output was 2.1k in PvP without power within last night).
    My offer still stands for anyone on the XBL version to get some hints/tips (live) for PvP. I can even provide gear if you feel as though you're on NG+ but not cutting the mustard with your equipment. I've got characters ranging from SL1 to SL342 now so summoning won't be an issue.

Edited by Elathron at 18:50:00 04-09-2012

Edited by Elathron at 18:50:18 04-09-2012

• Pinky_Floyd 4 Sep 2012 20:01:57 7,482 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems fair enough. Would gladly pay a few souls for an item that temporarily stopped invasions.  Perhaps such an item exists?
  • Elathron 4 Sep 2012 20:20:52 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd - That item does exist. But sadly it's not really an item, more an idea... Stay in hollow form to avoid invasions - it's the only way (oh, and join one of the 3 "good" covenants but that's not foolproof). The only other way is to go offline - but where's the fun in that? The best way to get used to being invaded is to be invaded on purpose!!! There's only a few occassions when I don't enjoy the thrill of seeing those words come up on my screen - mainly when I'm being mobbed and the invader is right next to me :(

• JonFE 4 Sep 2012 21:04:05 1,438 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The stats of my main character are:
    Vitality: 30
    Endurance: 40
    Strength: 28
    Dexterity: 29
    Attunement: 20
    Resistance: 20
    Intelligence: 25
    Faith: 22

Current weapons of choice include Quelaag's furysword +5, a lightning spear +5, grass crest shield +10, eagle shield +5.

Any suggestions on what to improve/level up in order to face O&S in NG+? Other than that can anyone explain (in idiot's terms) how scaling works? S scaling is better than A scaling which is better than B scaling etc. - correct?
  • Elathron 4 Sep 2012 21:19:50 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JonFE Wow dude, your stats are very well rounded but that may end up hindering you in the long run... I would have one heavy weapon and one spear/rapier against O&S; if you start using the Great-sword of Artorias as your main weapon (after doing up faith a few more levels) you'll notice a significant increase in damage over other weapons. The reason I suggest this weapon is that it has decent base damage, but it also has great scaling. The normal damage scales C for dex and strength, but the magic damage scales B with faith & int. This makes it perfect for a build like yours. Speaking of scaling; yes, you're right. S is the best but bear in mind that something with only 1 scaling stat usually won't do as much damage as a weapon with multiples.
    Ornstein & Smough are a pair of a55holes. If you kill O first, you might find you have it easier as S is slower when in his uber form. Ditch Quelaag's furysword as it's only really any good in PvP (and against enemies who're weak vs fire - not these 2 in other words); also bear in mind that O has very good lightning def.
    I would say to stop levelling 2 of the 4 primary stats for now, choose either faith or int & one of dex/str. Hope this helps - having to type mega fast at work :(

Edited by Elathron at 21:20:12 04-09-2012

Edited by Elathron at 21:21:13 04-09-2012

• JonFE 4 Sep 2012 21:24:55 1,438 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Elathron

Thanks for taking the time, Henry, really appreciate it! Time to head back to the garden me thinks...
  • kinky_mong 4 Sep 2012 21:30:17 9,992 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally beat Smough & Ornstein with the summoned help of Sir Buztafen! Feels great to finally get over that hurdle so I can explore more!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Elathron 4 Sep 2012 21:30:45 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JonFE

Nay worries Jon it's fine mate! I'll post up my build for you at some point, it's good to have a goal in this game in which to guide your character towards. Mine was magic and duelling so I've ended up with 8 faith but 99 dex/int (and 50 strength because I got bored and levelled that up too haha).
    Have you got the Covetous Silver Ring that I gave ye? That'd make the garden famring go a lot quicker. Although, similar results can be acheived in the TotG in NG+ as the skellie babies become quite a lucrative resource...

• Elathron 4 Sep 2012 21:36:19 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @kinky_mong - CONGRATS DUDE!!!! Now the game really begins....

• Page

of 1196 First / Last