Dark Souls Page 542

• Page

of 1217 First / Last

• puddleduck 21 Aug 2012 11:46:37 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grind some titanite chunks from the bottom of NL ruins or the area before the final boss. Maybe dark hand on any of the NPCs you can to boost stocked humanity. Err collect all embers/buy all spells/pyros if you haven't?
  • Elathron 21 Aug 2012 13:13:15 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - Kill the blacksmith's too. You'll see why :D Only farm humanity if you think you'll need it, the best place is in the Tomb of the Giants - the baby skeletons have the best drop-per-minute rate because so many of them appear. You will lose all of your embers & keys when you start NG+ so upgrade any weapons before doing so (although it's not too hard to get all the useful embers again).

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• mcmothercruncher 21 Aug 2012 13:52:02 7,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks fellas :)

I'm intrigued about the blacksmiths...
  • Elathron 21 Aug 2012 14:26:37 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - No worries!
    The 3 to kill are:
    The Giant, Andre & Vamos.
    Each drops a special hammer (only one of which is worth using IMO but I'll let you find out which) & Vamos drops a lovely looking helm that's quite good for showing off.

if you're feeling cruel, you can gain humanity quicker by using the dark hand's special attack on NPC's. Some NPC's will be worth as much as 10 soft humanity and it's rare that this counts as an aggro for some reason.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 21 Aug 2012 14:27:00 13,136 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    After playing Dark Souls to death, I could never get past the wafty, loose combat Skyrim had, felt terrible, traded it pretty quick.

I'm about to do the final boss, what's worth doing before NG+?

Kindle a few more fires?
    Grind the sewer rats for a stash of humanity?
    Kill all the NPC's for their thingies?
    Have you got all the slabs to fully upgrade your weapons and armour?

Edited by quadfather at 14:27:09 21-08-2012

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Elathron 21 Aug 2012 14:27:22 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Red_Bool - I see what you mean about the spoiler tags... This page will be full of them!!!!

• quadfather 21 Aug 2012 14:28:23 13,136 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm waiting to see what question Red_Bool posts next :-)

• Mr_Sleep 21 Aug 2012 15:48:59 17,271 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have been away from DS for a while, tried it again the other night and I seem to have lost my ability to defeat Seath the Scaleless, I manage to get him to stun himself and then wade in but I think my +3 Lightning Uchigatana just doesn't cut it. I'm also absolutely sure that half my problem at the moment is rushing the fight too much, I'm going to try and have another go tonight as I seem to spend ages thinking about the fight :-)

Tip for all the people who are thinking about leaving DS alone for a bit, kill the boss you're on first, coming back to a boss fight after leaving the game alone for a couple of months is problematic!

You are a factory of sadness.

• puddleduck 21 Aug 2012 17:17:19 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

If you're not after his back tail, then just stick to his right hand tail and slice and dice.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Aug 2012 18:04:34 17,271 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep

If you're not after his back tail, then just stick to his right hand tail and slice and dice.
    Yeah, that's what I was trying last time but I got caught in the larger one of his area attacks and didn't get away quickly enough. Also, I need to sort out my curse resistance. Can't decide on whether I should put on some of the heavier armours or not. Always seems a cheesy way to win a boss battle when I don't use them all the other time.

You are a factory of sadness.

• zisssou 21 Aug 2012 20:15:49 607 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bed of Chaos.. what.. the.. hell.
  • Bremenacht 21 Aug 2012 21:12:34 19,207 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    @Bremenacht - Ummm. No, the sword I'm referring to is simply called a greatsword; it can be purchased from the Crestfallen Merchant in Sen's fortress for 6000 souls (the one where you have to jump a gap to reach). The Gravelord Sword is brilliant if a little underpowered with its damage output, however, it's in its ability to toxify enemies that its strength really lies.
    Well done finding your way down to the lower ruins, have fun with the Skeletor impersonators!
    I'll check that out, ta.

I got that last ember, which made me think: are all the reinforcements above +10 wasted if you then go and make a divine/lightning/etc weapon with it? In other words, if you go to +15, you should stick with it?
  • FuzzyDuck 22 Aug 2012 00:00:22 4,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @Ironlungs76

Christ on a bike mate (heh!) you must be some kind of evil Dark Souls genius to be doing that playthrough!
    Ha, well I've played it for one or two hours yeah :) The annoying thing is I know I can kill the final boss fairly easily but I'm a bit stuck on the 4 Kings atm, wankers that they are ;)
    Haha, i'd say you've got the odd few hours on it alright :)

Oh what to do - watch the second episode of Breaking Bad (i'm a bit behind the times there!) or plough an hour into the Duke's Archives. Hmm.
  • Elathron 22 Aug 2012 07:37:14 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Bremenacht

Bremenacht wrote: Are all the reinforcements above +10 wasted if you then go and make a divine/lightning/etc weapon with it? In other words, if you go to +15, you should stick with it?
    As soon as you begin upgrading down a different path, all of the buffs from the previous one are lost. If you make a +14 weapon and then upgrade down the lightning path, you will lose the stat scaling that you racked up. The normal progression is best if you use magical weapon buffs, such as the sunlight blade or (surprise surprise) magic weapon. Stat scaled weapons become your best friend as you get into the higher levels; I still remember my joy when I first realised that my +10 fire winged spear didn't actually do as much damage (by a huge amount) as a +15 winged spear with an ash pine resin. I guess it's up to you to decide which paths to upgrade down, but it's good to have situational wepaons ready for the need arises - such as lightning weapons for wyverns/drakes.

Edited by Elathron at 07:37:59 22-08-2012

• Elathron 22 Aug 2012 07:41:24 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

watch the second episode of Breaking Bad (i'm a bit behind the times there!)
    Ummm. What is this Breaking Bad? It sounds like some prison sex story?

• Red_Bool 22 Aug 2012 09:39:06 1,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather - Unfortunately I don't have enough time to play Dark Souls to even start asking questions :-( (hopefully tonight...)

One final mention of Skyrim - a colleague pointed me to this:

Sums it up perfectly :)
    (I still like Skyrim, but currently Dark Souls takes precedence)
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Aug 2012 09:50:03 7,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Breaking Brad: the soap dropping episode.

I haven't upgraded too many weapons QF, I do need to grab a couple more slabs for the trophies, have maxed lightning spear and fire claymore at the mo'. Unlike Demon's Souls though, I doubt I'll attempt to Platinum this- that game was hard enough, this one is just ferociously steep to get to 100%.

On a whim (I like whims) I started a second character last night. Didn't realise (I'm probably the only one) that you can totally avoid the Taurus Demon and run around all of Darkroot, Valley of the Drakes etc. Took the lift down from Firelink, grabbed the Firekeeper soul from the ghosts, then took the other lift up to the Valley of the Drakes, grabbed the Dragon Crest Shield and Astoria's Straight Sword, then bombed up to the tunnel bonfire in Darkroot Basin, cleared that out all the way up to the Titanite Demon, upgraded at the Blacksmith, then did Undead Village backward until I got to the other Taurus Demon fog door... which wouldn't open for me ;)

With that shield and sword (and a faith build) it was incredibly easy to plough through even supposedly advanced areas. I don't know why, but there's a real thrill to starting again and experiencing it all afresh.

p.s. I fudging LOVE that the page count for this game thread has exceeded Skyrim :)
  • quadfather 22 Aug 2012 10:07:07 13,136 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher - I do a similar method with my extra characters - start with skeleton key, leggit down to new londo ruins, open the gate to valley of drakes, nick astora's sword, cheese a few bosses, whack up faith stat and then carve through mobs with astora's till I'm ready to upgrade. It's ace fun :-)

Hardest part for me in Dark Souls is choosing which character to load up :-)

@Red_Bools - no problem - I'm just waiting to see if I can help you out :)

• Elathron 22 Aug 2012 10:31:41 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I still like Skyrim, but currently Dark Souls takes precedence
    I think that's the issue for me too, I simply cannot get into the combat which feels so hollow it's unbelievable. To me, Skyrim feels like moving around one of those virtual worlds as a disembodied spirit. If the over the shoulder view was better I might appreciate it a little more, but it just seems so lacklustre when compared to DaS. I guess the PC version is far better with all the mods that're available - hopefully someone will try to intergrate Dark Souls combat physics into Skyrim when it comes out on PC.

Edited by Elathron at 10:32:20 22-08-2012

• quadfather 22 Aug 2012 11:12:34 13,136 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Elathron - I've got skyrim for the pc, and I was playing it loads over christmas. Then I got dark souls. Nuff said really.

Still like skyrim, but for different reasons - the combat feels like trying to wrestle a glacier

• Elathron 22 Aug 2012 11:39:27 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Agreed.

And Skyrim has left the building ;)

• mcmothercruncher 22 Aug 2012 11:50:44 7,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, bags of depth and lore and whatnot, but, from the first couple of swings in Skyrim I knew I wasn't going to stick with it. Probably bowed out at 30 hours, which isn't bad value anyway I suppose.
  • Elathron 22 Aug 2012 11:59:37 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

Quick idea, would dark souls be a different game with that level of depth/lore? I remember a very good article about the subtle differences some while back...

• Elathron 22 Aug 2012 11:59:47 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted

• mcmothercruncher 22 Aug 2012 14:18:57 7,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it has the depth, but not the breadth, if you see what I mean. And, personally, I'd argue the DS lore is much richer, more interesting and much less hackneyed than that which Skyrim manages to provide. There's just such a huge team there that there's a lot provided!
  • SteveHolt 22 Aug 2012 16:01:24 425 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    I still like Skyrim, but currently Dark Souls takes precedence
    I think that's the issue for me too, I simply cannot get into the combat which feels so hollow it's unbelievable. To me, Skyrim feels like moving around one of those virtual worlds as a disembodied spirit. If the over the shoulder view was better I might appreciate it a little more, but it just seems so lacklustre when compared to DaS. I guess the PC version is far better with all the mods that're available - hopefully someone will try to intergrate Dark Souls combat physics into Skyrim when it comes out on PC.
    I read that a lot, and I don't really understand. If you don't like skyrim's melee combat (which isn't strong, I agree), why don't you go for a stealth, archery and/or mage build? These other playstyle options work well enough, IMO, and have been improved a lot since oblivion. Melee combat has always been the least interesting aspect of elder scrolls games, maybe it's time to move on and explore the other, many possibilities they offer? OTOH, dark souls' ranged combat is just so lackluster compared to skyrim's, but no one gives a shit, apparently... ;)
  • TOOTR 22 Aug 2012 18:41:52 9,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremmie! Proud to see you picking up the gauntlet...or should that be Dark hand? :)

Am blazing through NG+ and loving it completely - I have no shame in stating that fact that I have shamelessly asked Buztafen to come and join me tonight in the delightful locale known as Anor Londo to take out Ornstein and Smough especially as I have to take out Mr O last for his soul.

Marvelous.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• TOOTR 22 Aug 2012 18:43:58 9,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    VERY good article here discussing Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Prob posted on here in the past but can't be (__!__)'d to review the whole thread....although....come to think of it...could be v interesting to do just that now I've finished one playthrough...

anyways

Praise the sun!

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• mcmothercruncher 22 Aug 2012 18:46:41 7,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I usually play a ranger in RPG style games- didn't really grab me in Skyrim either.
    But, I agree, ranged combat... at least longer ranged combat is nothing special in the Souls games either.
    Bethesda need to radically overhaul their whole combat engine for me to be interested again. It's not just the skating-on-ice stuff up close, it's the enemies running straight at you. It's so crude. Oh, and the bugs. And terrible dialogue. And tired old ye medieval stuff.

Back to Dark Souls, what it gets right better than any other game I've played is the visceral crunch of close up combat. The physicality is a real cut above.
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Aug 2012 18:59:50 7,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really interesting article TOOTR.
  • Page

of 1217 First / Last