Valkryia Chronicles 3 Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• GloatingSwine 17 Dec 2010 02:40:26 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    1cp for tank movement? I always thought the 2cp trade off was a very good decision. Will try the demo tonight.

Mostly it was an incentive to not use a tank. Especially since the best tank weapon, the flamethrower, also fits on an APC, which goes further and can truck a Mauler around to deal with enemy tanks.

Icebreaking is a function of the vehicle body type. The Utility APC and Medium Tank B bodies have Icebreak. Rockbreaking requires a specific front armour piece.
  • oldschoolsoviet 19 Dec 2010 13:22:25 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trailer overload !

Branching story with multiple objectives/paths ?
    Return of mega-customised tanks ?
    Upgradable weapons ?

The wait is agonising !
  • jkrodal 20 Dec 2010 01:30:29 155 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only about 7-9 months left to wait :p
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Dec 2010 07:15:49 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just gets better and better - OVAs incoming.

Now where's the damn Artworks announcement ?
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 Jan 2011 00:40:50 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The young Gassenarls pre-civil war ! Young Brixy ! Leon Hardins !

They've hopefully tied their stories in with what we already know, rather than some shoehorned cameos.
    Seems to be a different direction, relating to connections with VC2 rather than VC, especially:

Leila Peron- Leila is Homer Peron's older sister, known as "Number 23" is domineering and self-righteous, and likes to call herself "Queen."
    ....who now has a different surname, and I'll guess at absolutely no connection with Homer anymore !

Hmmm.

Love the look/style of the new cast, lots of 'characters' much improved over whining schoolkids, and the 4th vid linked has a nice roundup of features and options to look forward to.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Feb 2011 15:15:10 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right......here goes:

It's a brilliant evolution, and the return to an actual story and battlefield maps to fight across is far better than the calendar menu. Occasional choices will pop-up, offering diffrent routes of attack, as well as free missions for grinding, so there's lots to keep you going.

The storyboards are still of the pop-up picture variety, but fully VA'd, and the few anime cutscenes I've seen are lovely. Character models are individual and drastically improved, and the locales so far are a tad prettier, with a bit more variety - more vehicles, statues, trees etc than just wooden crates. Maps will be recycled however.

Levelling up is all done via one menu, and seems to improve all units, with EXP increasing one feature per option. One is health, but I don't know the script for the other 4 ! -_- Weapon trees have been reduced back to the simplistic VC variety too - no more 3xSteel C Lv4. There's no class definition per member anymore, as class is defined by the weapon they have equipped - entire shocktrooper squads are a possibility !

The class-changing will also play a part in learning Potentials, certain ones only available/learnt when acting as a Lancer etc. Supposedly there's lil' hints, so it'll tell you: Scout-Under Interception, so you'll know that's how to learn the Potential. Much better. (Pity I can't read them jus'now)

AI seems to be a mixed bag, as they're still fond of running straight into interception fire, commiting suicide. Only one enemy Ace I've seen stopped when he was in range of his weapon, so camp defending will still be easy. Ducking seems a bit more frequent at this early stage, and I have seen grenades thrown at my bunched-up-sandbag-hugging peeps, so there's some improvement.

Lots of other touches including the tank/equipment changing menus on the initial deployment screen just show they've listened and learnt, and have pushed it in the right direction. I love it. Just hurry up with the translation !
  • consignia 10 Feb 2011 15:58:47 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm enjoying the setting a hell of a lot more than the VC2. There's still some silly characters, but it feels more gritty*. Gloria is fast becoming my favourite character.

Gameplay doesn't feel like it's moved on much, in many ways it feels like a add-on pack to VC2, and I'm already seeing too many maps which lifted wholesale from VC2.

Still loving it though, as VC2 was one my favourite PSP games.

*I can't find the right word here, it's not that gritty, but it'll have to do
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Mar 2011 16:09:18 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CH-7 Win a Vacation oh-oh !

/fears impending obligatory swimsuit 'excuse'
    /completes
    /fear realised

With extra pulling knickers out of arse crack scene.

Just......why ? :(
  • michaelius 5 Apr 2011 08:45:20 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.play-asia.com/Valkyria_Chronicles_III_Unrecorded_Chronicles/paOS-13-71-b9-49-en-70-421d.html

Play asia has listing for us release of VC III :) Hopefully a sign of things to come.
  • consignia 5 Apr 2011 09:05:37 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nyah... I'm stuck on chapter 14, where you have to defend the gate. I'm mopping up the character missions in the meantime, but I'm not looking forward to doing it properly.

I'm glad the cameos have tailed off though. As nice as it was having nearly every major character from the series appear, it did take the focus off the Nameless, and Calamity Raven.
  • oldschoolsoviet 7 Apr 2011 20:57:05 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the heads up on that ^

Currently stalled on the character missions myself, as I didn't realise they existed until now, 30 hours in on Ch10 !
    One question: Is there a level for Elite troops, as per previous ? I've unlocked the flamethrower/MGs, mortars etc, but can only equip them on certain characters. Don't know if this is due to levelling, or whether it's dependant on a character's preferred class, or a combination of both ? Quick browse of GameFAQs didn't give a definitive answer either.
  • consignia 8 Apr 2011 08:36:27 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    One question: Is there a level for Elite troops, as per previous ? I've unlocked the flamethrower/MGs, mortars etc, but can only equip them on certain characters. Don't know if this is due to levelling, or whether it's dependant on a character's preferred class, or a combination of both ? Quick browse of GameFAQs didn't give a definitive answer either.

I think it's to with level, since I had Anika as a shocktrooper who mid level who couldn't use the flamethrower until leveled up to top level like Kurt. Although those were the default classes, so I can't say either way. I'll have a look at seeing if either Valerie or Cedric, who I've set as snipers but neither are prefered snipers, can equip the multi-tude of sniper rifles that you can buy.

The charcter missions are quite good, and feel far more interesting than the second game's ones. If you use Magritte as a lancer, I'd recommend doing hers because the potential she gets from makes her aim perfect and triggers quite frequently, which makes her like a sniper lancer, which useful in later missions. In fact I think in general she's actually a better lancer than Imca.
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Apr 2011 09:02:30 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anika ? Magritte ? (Cedric is the chainmail sporting Tech ? Also set to sniper myself, as that's more useful.)

Who are these people ?

/only knows them by squiggly kanji(?) shapes

In fact, I've made my own nicknames for most of them ! Cindy Lauper (young), Granny Rocket, Jaeger's Ol' Pissed Uncle, Hot Pants etc :)
  • consignia 8 Apr 2011 09:24:42 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, ok, Anika is the red-headed excitable shocktrooper, Magritte is the blonde with a bow really deep voiced lancer, I can't remember what Cedric starts on, but he's the mid-aged chap with glasses, and Valerie is the red head with glasses. If it helps, when you do the character missions, it gives the name of the character in English characters in the chapter intro.

The game is quite text heavy, you've done well to get as far as you have with out being able to read at least katakana.
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Apr 2011 21:37:23 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, completed Cedric/Ada's joint mission earlier, unlocking her in the process. He's actually my main Hvy Gunner/camp defender, with a captured Imperial MG that annihilates on interception. Anika = Hot Pants (main shocktroop, Imp MG), and Margritte would be the French bird (lancer).

I've found VC3 easy enough to play, mainly due to it following the same menu layout as the 2nd. No idea what orders are what though, and mission objectives are usually sussed during a level. If there's one big crate, there must be another...,etc. As for story/plot, I haven't the foggiest, but I believe I can region change the savedata so hopefully I'll finish it to begin a NG+ on the US/EU release.
  • oldschoolsoviet 6 Jul 2011 10:51:24 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aaaaaand, finished*. Just over 65 hours !

It's a much improved game (the 1st feels archaic now), a more interesting cast, and a brilliant lil' piece of strategy fun. This NEEDS an English translation, whether PSP, Vita, or the Remaster series. I don't care which !

*still have 10 or so character missions, a whole selection of bought 5* missions, and certain characters to unlock to use in the post-game.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2011 12:57:20
    Didn't Sega say they wouldn't be bringing any more games to the west on the PSP, or was that just a rumour?

Not sure if they'd consider releasing it on PSN for the Vita...
  • HiddenAway 12 Oct 2011 06:58:23 14,894 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the immortal words of an X-Factor judge - It's bad news

No EU or US release.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• WinstonChurchill 12 Oct 2011 10:27:14 137 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I even put up with a colourblind bomb disposal "expert" in order to get the third one!

And you bastards didn't even do YOUR bit.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2011 10:31:06
    Bollocks, they should have made it a PS3 game it would have received more publicity.
  • FabricatedLunatic 12 Oct 2011 10:40:13 13,013 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought this bump would be good news :(

I'm not Sega's biggest fan but I can understand why they'd be reluctant to localise VC3 if VC2 sold poorly. They're big games with a shitload of text.

The best we can hope for is a Vita PSN release somewhere down the line. It seems unlikely that a third party US publisher like Atlus or Xseed will step in.
  • michaelius 12 Oct 2011 18:53:38 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For a small dedicated fanbase even pure text translation with orginal VA and sales only through PSN would be fine.

Meanwhile they put much more money into some Rise of Nightmare crap which flopped badly.

Maybe someone makes fan translation or something.

But hey just 3 more years and I might know enough kanji to read it.
  • consignia 12 Oct 2011 19:20:48 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's shame really. In my opinion the game is far superior to VC2, in almost every way; everything it should have been.
  • DodgyPast 12 Oct 2011 19:35:48 8,468 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    michaelius wrote:
    For a small dedicated fanbase even pure text translation with orginal VA and sales only through PSN would be fine.

Meanwhile they put much more money into some Rise of Nightmare crap which flopped badly.

Maybe someone makes fan translation or something.

But hey just 3 more years and I might know enough kanji to read it.
    Hopefully there'll be a fan translation hacked into the Japanese version, should be possible.
  • Irksome 18 Oct 2011 08:29:43 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This might have been brought up elsewhere, but I just wanted to bring some attention to the Gallian Liberation Front on facebook, they doing a good job of positively promoting fan interest in the third installment - please support them if you haven't already (the petition they've set up could really do with some more signatures).

Here's a brief display of their results thus far - DualShockersTV interviews Aaron Webber
  • Deleted user 20 October 2011 10:24:22
    If I've never played the first, and will never play the third, is the second game worth getting on PSP? Bear in mind I'm on PSPgo so it would have to be on the store and available at a reasonable price!
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Apr 2012 10:29:35 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well.......it's a start at least.

Doubt it'll come to much, but it shows the possibility is there.
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Dec 2013 12:47:54 5,478 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And 2 years, later, they've managed to complete (roughly) a Christmas miracle for every VC fan.

Try the link in my previous post, and have a good read through. Still issues being ironed out, but it's available.
  • INSOMANiAC 3 Jan 2014 17:26:04 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just dug out my PSPGO charger.... that was a mission and a half! Looking forward to trying this out!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 3 Jan 2014 17:38:15 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ive forgot how the hell you quit a game on the thing!

Edit nevermind I found the button in the end! My memory... getting old!

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 17:39:09 03-01-2014

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 4 First / Last