• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 15 Sep 2010 01:24:55 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FUCK YOU SEGA.

Ahem.

Announced in the latest edition of Famitsu, no concrete info yet, except for it's down for 2011 and info will be presented at TGS.

Erm, yeah. PSP FTW?
  • VandelayIndustries 15 Sep 2010 01:26:41 1,521 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    FUCK YOU SEGA.
    Can't be stated enough.

:(
  • Rauha 15 Sep 2010 01:30:22 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This news might be hurting some of you, and in your anger you might be in denial or believe that this is some sick joke. Here have a source.
  • redcrayon 15 Sep 2010 07:16:32 4,544 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, FFS. I was hoping we might get it on PS3.

• toy_brain 15 Sep 2010 07:28:15 1,256 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha, awesome.
    I look forward to many, many comments from whiney gamers claiming to have just sold their PSP, like, a week ago or something, and can no longer play this.

Fuck the haters.
    Anyway, I think the below quote (from 1up.com) is way more important:
    Like the previous two games, it will take place in the war-torn land of Gallia, but feature an independent story and a completely brand-new cast of characters. The magazine also notes that the plot will take place at the same time as the first game; it'll focus on the "Nameless," a penal battalion formed entirely of AWOL soldiers, army lawbreakers, and convicted criminals pressed into military service. This group handles covert missions and other under-the-table stuff for the Gallian government, and as you'd expect, they have a pretty high rate of attrition.
    No more stupid schoolkids.
    Get in!
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Sep 2010 09:26:54 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interview with producer, more info, story importance, no MP.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 15 Sep 2010 09:33:37 10,852 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ugh...

VC2 is good but its no VC1!!
  • Cappy 15 Sep 2010 10:14:54 11,830 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "In an era where everyone is busy, we felt PSP was best in order to make Valkyria Chronicles bigger."

Well good luck with that. They'll be very fortunate if Valkyria Chronicles 2 manages to sell even half what the first game did on the PS3. The third game is heading to a platform on the death march outside Japan and will likely diminish in sales further still.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 didn't even outsell the PS3 game in Japan despite a massive installed base advantage,

What else do you expect from Sega though.
  • RunningMan 15 Sep 2010 10:49:04 2,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    "In an era where everyone is busy, we felt PSP was best in order to make Valkyria Chronicles bigger."

Well good luck with that. They'll be very fortunate if Valkyria Chronicles 2 manages to sell even half what the first game did on the PS3. The third game is heading to a platform on the death march outside Japan and will likely diminish in sales further still.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 didn't even outsell the PS3 game in Japan despite a massive installed base advantage,

I think dev costs for the psp version are a lot lower than the ps3 version. It is a properly good game though.
  • Psychotext 15 Sep 2010 10:51:59 53,816 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RunningMan wrote:
    I think dev costs for the psp version are a lot lower than the ps3 version. It is a properly good game though.
    Probably, but it shouldn't have been massively cheaper as they already did a lot of the hard graft with the VC1 engine and what not. Especially as this third game is set in the same time period.
  • Deleted user 15 September 2010 11:00:04
    Well this is a massive disappointment. I just completed the brilliant first game and was really looking forward to the second.
  • Cappy 15 Sep 2010 11:08:07 11,830 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Besides the lower Japanese sales, Sega will probably lose about a million sales overseas putting the Valkyria Chronicles sequels on the PSP.

Considering that they'd already invested resources and built the PS3 Canvas engine, mothballing it and publishing nothing but shite 360 ports for the PS3 isn't exactly making them money either.
  • thedaveeyres 15 Sep 2010 11:12:13 10,686 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent news! I missed the announcement of this.

Really glad it's on the PSP - I was sceptical about VC2 and would rather have seen it on the PS3, but having put in a couple of weeks on it, it's absolutely fantastic and surpasses the original in almost every way.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• King_Edward 15 Sep 2010 12:09:50 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That may well be true but I don't have a PSP, so this news stinks.
  • Rauha 15 Sep 2010 12:14:49 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Japanese release dare is 27/1/11
  • toy_brain 15 Sep 2010 19:38:42 1,256 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Besides the lower Japanese sales, Sega will probably lose about a million sales overseas putting the Valkyria Chronicles sequels on the PSP.
    I don't know what the life-to-date numbers are, but as an example, the 1st month sales of VC1 in the US was 33,000.
    They then sold another 33,000 in April the following year thanks to some DLC and a price-cut (before which it was selling almost nothing).
    Add in random Canada and European sales and you probably have....... nothing even close to a million sales.

No point in Sega worrying about loosing a million sales overseas, they were never there to loose in the first place.

You got a link for that? I googled it and could only find details of 1st week sales, which are:
    Valkyria Chronicles - 77,267 copies sold
    Valkyria Chronicles 2 - 94,444 copies sold

And that isn't counting PSN sales of VC2 - but either way the PSP game is in the clear lead.
    Source: http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/valkyria-chronicles-series-first-week-sales-comparison
  • Cappy 15 Sep 2010 19:59:59 11,830 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People always go on about the first month's US sales. Retards always pull that one out of the hat to show that the series 'belongs' on the PSP. Lots of games sell in the second month too, then the third, and so on.

Valkyria Chronicles has shifted around 900,000 copies on the PS3 to date.
  • King_Edward 15 Sep 2010 21:09:48 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blimey that's impressive. I thought it was supposed to have flopped.
  • thedaveeyres 15 Sep 2010 21:11:55 10,686 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cappy bought 898,000 of them. :p

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• toy_brain 15 Sep 2010 21:32:08 1,256 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EDIT: @ Cappy
    Thanks for calling me a retard, asshole :(
    Lets leave the personal insults out of it next time eh? I'm just going by the information I was able to get from a quick google of some relevant search strings, if you have other info to impart then that's fine, I'm always open to new facts so long as they can be backed up with at least a link.
    As people (not just you Cappy) were making some interesting claims that pointed to the PS3 version being the better seller, but not backing anything up, I had to do my own digging, which turfed up contrary information, so I thought I'd share.

I assume that 900,000 figure is worldwide?
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Sep 2010 21:45:11 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now, now, settle down.

More Valkyria ffs ! Who cares about format ?

/is really enjoying VC2 now

And a change of tone with a penal unit ? Hoo-RAH. Certainly hoping for a leap away from the twee anime academy.

/still not enjoying the 'cutscenes'
  • toy_brain 15 Sep 2010 22:03:07 1,256 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh :p
    /Takes deep breaths into a paper bag

I took a guess that it would be a figure pulled from VGChartz, which is fine. I know some people claim it to be wildly innacurate at times, but its the best thing we have, so I have no problem with people wanting to reference it.

Linky:
    http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=valkyria
    Interesting to look at week 1 sales across the board for both titles. Of course, extrapolating out from that is always a bit risky, and we are comparing a 2+ year old game with one that just came out last week in the west, so, y'know....... Lies, damned lies, and statistics :D

I own both a PS3 and a PSP, what console it comes out on is of little concern to me, what does concern me is that Sega are making the right business decision, because I don't want the series to die on its ass by not generating a profit. I've seen a few franchises I really liked die and take the studio with them because they tried to 'go big'.
    If being on a portable is what it takes for VC to stick around, then so be it.
  • Cappy 15 Sep 2010 22:04:12 11,830 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    toy_brain wrote:
    I assume that 900,000 figure is worldwide?

Yes, that's Worldwide. I'm really getting tired of this 'Valkyria Chronicles fail on PS3' bullshit.

Considering that most of Valkyria Chronicles sales were outside of Japan I don't think a million lost sales is unreasonable split 500,000 each between the two sequels the PS3 isn't getting.
  • Psychotext 15 Sep 2010 23:05:23 53,816 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As much as I hate lolchartz, you can use it for Japanese game sales with accuracy. If you look at the first 20 weeks of VC vs VC2 you'll see that VC won out in that time period. You could argue PSN sales, but really, digital game purchases... in Japan? No.
  • toy_brain 16 Sep 2010 10:35:47 1,256 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First trailer is up, showing absolutely no gameplay footage whatsoever (its all just anime cutscenes).
    Feel free to click if you like that sort of thing.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-10-valkyria-chronicles/704585

@ Psychotext
    The numbers at the bottom of the charts of VGChartz are lifetime sales, not just the first 20 weeks added up.
    If you add up the first 20 weeks for both games manually (which just goes to show how much time I have on my hands, to be doing stupid shit like this), you get......

VC1 = 147067
    VC2 = 162978

VC1 will have the higher lifetime total because its been out longer, nach.

Anyway, I wants me a gameplay trailer dammmit. Come on journalists, get your arses in gear!

EDIT: No gameplay trailer, but Destructiod have posted some better screenshots:
    http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/photo-m.phtml?post_key=184037
  • GloatingSwine 16 Sep 2010 14:54:07 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bah. I'm sure the actual game and all will be perfectly servicable on the PSP, but really do miss the absolute gorgeousness of the first.

Ironically, this was also possibly the last incentive to replace my broked PS3.
  • JinTypeNoir 16 Sep 2010 15:03:53 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

Wrong. If you compare the time they had to sell (that is without a Greatest Hits yet and half a year), then the PSP game is ahead of the PS3 game by quite a bit.
  • Cappy 16 Sep 2010 15:56:10 11,830 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And how much of an installed user base advantage does the PSP have over the PS3 at the point the original launched?

4-1? 5-1? It's not really doing that well in context.
  • JinTypeNoir 16 Sep 2010 16:17:50 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're just trying to come up with any old reason you can because you're bitter the game didn't get an HD system announcement. With the huge reduction in development costs, there's no way the game wasn't exponentially more successful on the PSP. Deal with it.
  • Cappy 16 Sep 2010 16:38:17 11,830 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's an entirely valid assertion. Only a tiny minority of PSP owners are going to play either sequel.

Maybe you'd be happier if PS3 owners in Europe and the Americas stopped liking Valkyria Chronicles?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous