I want new consoles dammit! Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Deleted user 5 September 2010 22:01:29
    its the way you go on about phones as if they are the only solution for gaming.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 22:04:17
    Shut up you tool. The only reason phones were brought up was to emphasise how graphics on consoles are stagnating, not that phones are going to be some sort of solution for gaming, which is ridiculous.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 22:06:11
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    Give Mowgli a break.
    arm, leg or neck? ;-)
  • stephenb 5 Sep 2010 22:11:28 2,803 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I get what your saying mowgli. Room enough for advanced portable gaming on phones/ pad devices and your traditional couch based console types. The stagnation idea is no longer a factor when a new raft of consoles eventually surfaces though.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Deleted user 5 September 2010 22:12:31
    How many Playstations have there been in the past 20 years, answer - 3.

How many variations of the iPhone has there been in the last 10 years 3 maybe 4.

It's very silly comparing two totally different tech toys due to their revision cycle.
  • Physically_Insane 5 Sep 2010 22:16:18 9,249 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    XrustynutsX wrote:

How many variations of the iPhone has there been in the last 10 years 3 maybe 4.

It's very silly comparing two totally different tech toys due to their revision cycle.

Didn't know you could buy a playstation in 1990.
  • Byblos1 5 Sep 2010 22:18:45 170 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a bit daft but I wouldn't mind a new console.

I like reading all the marketing hyperbole about how many triangles the next new thing can draw, but the best bit is when you see all the launch title videos and you've got no frame of reference so you think they're all the second coming. Then it launches and the games are almost uniformly shit for about 6 months to a year.

It's great!
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 22:21:35
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    XrustynutsX wrote:

Didn't know you could buy a playstation in 1990.

You get me drift, have you tried turning sarcasm mode off :)

• Pirotic Moderator 5 Sep 2010 22:22:41 20,647 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The phone point is valid, the fact is my iphone now has a tech demo which is pretty similar in terms of fidelity to what the consoles are outputting, sure it's a smoke and mirrors tech demo and not an actual game, but it certainly reminded me just how old the console tech is we're still using, could you imagine trying to play a PC game using a 5 year old graphics card?
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 22:23:48
    XrustynutsX wrote:

Do you even know what you are saying?
  • Collymilad 5 Sep 2010 22:25:00 1,266 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think new consoles are NEEDED, the graphics are still pretty damn good, even if the tech is old. I could easily go another 3 years and be quite happy. Just because there are better things available graphics wise doesn't degrade the quality of what the consoles put out, they still look great they just aren't the best graphics possible.

However that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see the visuals new consoles would be putting out if they were released. I do agree with missing that new console buzz, there's nothing quite like getting a new one and firing it up for the first time.
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Sep 2010 22:30:40 8,729 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know a few developers have complained about the storage on the 360 but have any suggested that the 360 and PS3 are unable to handle their games. (Crytech I guess but that was purely graphics). Have any had their ideas constrained because the consoles cannot handle the scope of a game. Only Peter Molyeneux seems to have his ideas reduced but that seemed to be more a case of too many ideas.
  • SomaticSense 5 Sep 2010 22:30:53 9,147 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's less to do with the fact that console graphics are stagnating, and more to do with the fact that they are reaching a zenith.

High spec PC games are now better looking than current gen console games, but there isn't anywhere near the same difference between the two as at the same point during the last gen. We are getting to a point where graphics are so impressive now that it is becoming harder and harder to make big jumps visual technology wise.

The whole phone thing is just another symptom of this. It getting easier to pack a huge wad of processing power into a tiny device to make impressive looking games. I think the first real example of this was when the PSP launched. At no time before could anyone have contemplated that a handheld gaming device could have looked anywhere near as good as that current generation's consoles (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox), but it was happening. Another example would be the whole 80's 'brick' phones versus the tiny things we use today which are capable of much, much more.

I think we now have the strange situation where the combination of technology in phones and smaller gaming devices are taking such a leap forward, versus the fact that we already have some console games which look near photorealistic thus making it even harder for them to make that next big leap forward. This is causing a sort of clash, where the tech in both is becoming harder to differentiate.

Talk to any game industry bod, and they'll tell you we are close to having the best looking games we can achieve using a bog standard HD TV or monitor, with the next real graphical step being a leap up to 3D tech or even holographics. Cevat Yerli of Crytek believes that we'll have proper photorealism which will be virtually impossible to tell apart from, say, films in around 5 years!

The next technological step, the next step I believe a new gen of consoles can offer us, won't actually be graphics per se, but will be more to do with things like procedural animation and AI.
  • Pirotic Moderator 5 Sep 2010 22:35:46 20,647 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't have a problem with the current graphics as such, but more a problem with the resolution and frame-rate, it seems every game is trying to out-do the last graphically by simply lowering the resolution or frame-rate to reduce the fill rate. When the xbox first came out most games ran at a native 720p (and when one didn't there was a pretty big uproar) now most new titles run sub hd at 30fps.
  • Byblos1 5 Sep 2010 22:38:20 170 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think part of the reason we've not seen a tremendous leap in PC gaming visuals over the past 5 years is because most big developers (those who help drive graphics card sales) are multiplatform, and at best give the PC a shitty port riddled with DRM.

I think it'll soon be a 'first to blink' contest between Sony and MS, the latter will almost certainly want to be first to market with the next next-gen console as it did so well for them with the 360.

• itamae 5 Sep 2010 22:40:19 9,897 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    When the xbox first came out most games ran at a native 720p (and when one didn't there was a pretty big uproar) now most new titles run sub hd at 30fps.
    Seriously? I remember that the Euro Xbox couldn't even display 720p, unless you modded the console. Aren't you confusing it with 480p?
  • itamae 5 Sep 2010 22:41:01 9,897 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh wait you mean the 360, right? Duh...
  • Collymilad 5 Sep 2010 22:41:17 1,266 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    I don't have a problem with the current graphics as such, but more a problem with the resolution and frame-rate, it seems every game is trying to out-do the last graphically by simply lowering the resolution or frame-rate to reduce the fill rate. When the xbox first came out most games ran at a native 720p (and when one didn't there was a pretty big uproar) now most new titles run sub hd at 30fps.

Yeah that's true. I did notice shortly after launch (once they go to grips with it) framerate problems etc (at least on 360) did seem pretty much eliminated but they have been creeping back.

I don't have a problem with 30fps or sub-hd though to be honest. Many of the games that I think have looks brilliant have been sub-hd, and I think 30fps is ok for most games (some really need 60 though)

I do agree with you though, in a perfect world (or on the next consoles) 720p60 as a minimum (hopefully 1080p60) with a totally rock solid framerate would be good.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 5 Sep 2010 22:41:28 10,069 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 3DS will do.
  • itamae 5 Sep 2010 22:47:32 9,897 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway, to contribute something more useful, I don't need a new console for the next couple of years at least. As others have already said the graphics you get with the current bunch are more than good enough for me, and while I would appreciate steady framerates and consistent 720p I certainly wouldn't want to pay for it.

Developers should concentrate more on filling their pretty worlds with meaningful content, good AI and believable characters, rather than trying to one-up each other in the graphical fidelity pissing match.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 22:56:12
    mowgli wrote:
    XrustynutsX wrote:

I do know what i'm saying, do you. I wasn't having a personal dig Mowgli, don't be so defensive. The revision cycles of the iPhone compared to the PlayStation massively differentiates. There's been as many iPhones as there has been Playstations in half the time, so obviously the iPhone/pad is going to be on a par or near abouts as the current gen of home Consoles.

Does this mean that there needs to be a new home console revision, no. I'm happy to keep my PS3 and Wii for three or four years yet, it's too soon.
  • Physically_Insane 5 Sep 2010 23:02:05 9,249 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    XrustynutsX wrote:

I do know what i'm saying, do you. I wasn't having a personal dig Mowgli, don't be so defensive. The revision cycles of the iPhone compared to the PlayStation massively differentiates. There's been as many iPhones as there has been Playstations in half the time, so obviously the iPhone/pad is going to be on a par or near abouts as the current gen of home Consoles.

Does this mean that there needs to be a new home console revision, no. I'm happy to keep my PS3 and Wii for three or four years yet, it's too soon.

Yeah but I don't think you're comparing them fairly. I'd compare the iPhone revisions with the 360 revisions, i.e. 360, 360 Elite, new 360 announced at this years E3.
  • Psychotext 5 Sep 2010 23:05:31 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    Yeah but I don't think you're comparing them fairly. I'd compare the iPhone revisions with the 360 revisions, i.e. 360, 360 Elite, new 360 announced at this years E3.
    Every 360 has had the same CPU / GPU power. The same cannot be said of the iPhone revisions.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 23:07:18
    I'll be happy with the current crop for another 3-5yrs.
  • Ged42 5 Sep 2010 23:10:54 7,807 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pirotic just wants a new console war, so that he can glory in the power of his Mod Banhammer. :p
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Sep 2010 23:21:26 35,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only bought a console this year, feels fresh enough to me. I don't need a new console, I need games for it.

That said, if the PS3 is anything to go by, they should release the next one asap, it'll take years again before it's worth buying anyhow.

• Deleted user 5 September 2010 23:28:44
    What Psychotext said. The 360 hasn't had any major upgrade GPU/CPU wise, they've just been refined and re-skinned to run more smoothly so they don't die on you. The Apple brands have always had tweaks and upgrades in processing power in each of it's revisions.

/broken record
  • stephenb 5 Sep 2010 23:33:44 2,803 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    What Psychotext said. The 360 hasn't had any major upgrade GPU/CPU wise, they've just been refined and re-skinned to run more smoothly so they don't die on you.

/broken record

Yes not putting a graphics chip hard up underneath a DVD drive without a heat sink was a bonus in the later models. How the bloody hell that got through R&D defies belief!

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• HoriZon 5 Sep 2010 23:40:30 13,596 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Didn't they say a 10 year life span for the X360 at one point? so 2015 is the year to get excited about.

Nintendo will have a new one out within 3 years though.

Plus devs dont want new ones yet there happy churning out games much faster now than they did a few years ago.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Page

of 6 First / Last